+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Borneo Rhino needs our help

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default The Borneo Rhino needs our help

Hi all,

Most of you guys may not be aware that one of the worlds most endangered large mammals is the Bornean Rhino, a separate subspecies of the Sumatran rhino. This is by far the smallest rhino in the world and used to live in the dense rainforests of Borneo.

Due to relentless poaching, fewer than 100 Sumatran rhinos exist now (mostly in Sumatra), and it is believed to be extinct in the wild in Malaysia.

However, the Borneo rhino is about to completely vanish off the face of the Earth, with a few individuals remaining. Very likely, you can count them all on one hand. There may be a few individuals in East Kalimantan but the last one found died shortly after capture (from a hunter's snare, which are ubiquitous in the region) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bornean_rhinoceros

I hope the scenario where all the rhinos we are left with are preserved ones in the museum doesn't come to pass....but it's looking that way more and more right in front of our eyes, and under our watch.

Malaysia has only 3 individuals (all in captivity), and here's the tear jerker - one of them, a female rhino named Puntung is about to die. She has advanced cancer and is in great pain.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/natio...-to-be-cancer/

She has only three legs after one of her feet got lost to a hunter's snare (before she was captured 10 years ago), and obviously has been through a lot in her short life as a rhino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7_aYIqqhAs

Now rhinos don't get enough attention due to them being uncharismatic compared to sea lions or tigers or bears, but they deserve to live just as much as any other animal. The sea lion incident video that Dedukshyn posted has had 28 million views in such a short time. Compare that to the video of Puntung above

There is only one NGO, a small team of people caring for the few rhinos in Sabah, Malaysia right now - Borneo Rhino Alliance. Check out their website http://www.borneorhinoalliance.org/

These guys need whatever help they can get because they lost their funding from an oil palm company (the irony). I've donated to them and plan on donating more periodically, and hope that at least, some of you kind hearted ones would do the same.

PS: Poaching, logging, and large scale clearance of forest for oil palm are very serious problems all across South East Asia, and after seeing photographs of young local guys HAPPILY posing on camera (for social media) with their "kills", I feel extremely disgusted/angry with mankind. Their wanton kills include the clouded leopard, also one of the rarest large cats on earth.
    Last edited by xeon; 31st May 2017 at 06:51.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xeon For This Post:

angelfire (1st June 2017), Bruno (31st May 2017), Fairy Friend (31st May 2017), Innocent Warrior (1st June 2017), jjjones (31st May 2017), kirolak (31st May 2017), Nasu (1st June 2017), pyrangello (4th June 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,291 times in 744 posts

Default Re: The Borneo Rhino needs our help

Thank you for speaking up for a fellow being who has no voice, in the accepted sense. . .so many humans forget that we are nothing more than one of many planetary species, & not the Opus Magnum of creation. After racism, speciesism is the next evil to be eradicated.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

Bruno (31st May 2017), jjjones (31st May 2017), Nasu (1st June 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Just wanted to post the inevitable update:

Puntung, one of the very last Borneo rhinos on the planet, was put to sleep on Sunday following a deterioration in her condition.

http://www.thestar.com.my/videos/201...ewell-puntung/

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,723 times in 2,088 posts

xeon, your voice is heard. And yes in countries where economic hardship is all around the simplistic form to make money is to kill what is living. Yes there are those sub species humans on this earth that shouldn't even be aloud to have our oxygen, but I sunmit to you that the good people of the earth far outweigh the bad. For me I will never give up on life for those that need protection, my promise whereever I can impact and help I will. Thanks for the awareness in this issue and yes I will donate.

+ Reply to Thread