• I'm convinced

21 39.62%
  • I'm not convinced

14 26.42%
  • I'm not sure

18 33.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Mandela Effect: is it real or not?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,505 times in 5,654 posts

Default Mandela Effect: is it real or not?

Hi all,
    A lot of information is being produced about the Mandela effect and not sure if this has been proven true. Honestly only touched on the basic concepts and would say I'm still unsure about this until some definitive proof is available.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

Anchor (2nd June 2017), Atlas (1st June 2017), EFO (1st June 2017), Iloveyou (1st June 2017), Innocent Warrior (2nd June 2017), Inversion (1st June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mab777 (2nd June 2017), Matthew (2nd June 2017), Nasu (1st June 2017), Noelle (2nd June 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,579 times in 1,719 posts

Default Re: Mandela Effect: is it real or not?

I agree mojo,
    If timelines are factual, and a lot of intelligent aware people seem to think so, then the Mandela effect
    seems to also be factual.

When it comes to people saying that they remember movie lines being different I have my suspicions, not
    of the people saying those things but that movies are screwed about with too often.
    Movie makers run scenes many times and cut and shorten them for different releases, first for cinemas and
    later for videos to go out to different places around the globe.

Mandela effect? Who knows?

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Atlas (1st June 2017), EFO (1st June 2017), Iloveyou (1st June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (1st June 2017), Nasu (1st June 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,169 times in 1,747 posts

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

EFO (2nd June 2017), Iloveyou (1st June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (1st June 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Europe Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,386 times in 1,223 posts

If out of 10000 examples 9999 (add as many 0's or 9's as you wish) were proven false and only 1 were true or even maybe true - then it cannot be dismissed, is that right? My only example would be addidas/adidas. I swear it was addidas. But I cannot vote because I'd say: a little bit true

edit @uzn: yes, that information is on the net NOW.
    Last edited by Iloveyou; 1st June 2017 at 21:25.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Iloveyou For This Post:

mojo (1st June 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

it was never addidas. It comes from Adi Dassler that was his Name.

Last edited by uzn; 1st June 2017 at 22:37.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

ALLARON (3rd June 2017), Atlas (1st June 2017), bennycog (1st June 2017), EFO (2nd June 2017), Iloveyou (1st June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (1st June 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 times in 491 posts

Quote Posted by uzn (here)
    it was never addidas. It comes from Adi Dassler that was his Name.
    I think the whole point is that it was never addidas to you in your timeline. Similarly, like the thousands of South Africans that remember Nelson Mandela dying in the 80s, there were some who did not have that experience. Both perspectives were as real to the experiencer as your conviction about the spelling of Mr. Dassler's brand.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kano For This Post:

EFO (2nd June 2017), Iloveyou (1st June 2017), Innocent Warrior (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (1st June 2017), Noelle (2nd June 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Europe Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,386 times in 1,223 posts

Okay, I've found both versions on a Craigslist - equivalent, which should not be. So not convinced.
    Last edited by Iloveyou; 1st June 2017 at 21:47.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iloveyou For This Post:

EFO (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (1st June 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Kano (here)
    I think the whole point is that it was never addidas to you in your timeline. Similarly, like the thousands of South Africans that remember Nelson Mandela dying in the 80s, there were some who did not have that experience. Both perspectives were as real to the experiencer as your conviction about the spelling of Mr. Dassler's brand.
    If you would do a little research you will find that the death of Mandela was written in a schoolbook where children had to write alternative stories. There was one fictive Story in there written by some child about the death of Mandela in prison. Mystery solved.

Just in case that you really want to look at the Book. It´s called "English Alive" published 1991. It´s a compilation of writings from Kids in High Schools in South America. The editors are Kathleen Heugh and Anita Kennet.
    Last edited by uzn; 1st June 2017 at 22:08.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Atlas (1st June 2017), EFO (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), Kano (2nd June 2017), Matthew (2nd June 2017), mojo (1st June 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,343 times in 645 posts

I think it´s most of it has to do with people misremembering and companies changing Logo´s and and even brand names over the years.

But there is one Mandela effect that is undeniable in my opinion.

"Dolly's Braces"

In the Bond movie Moonraker from 1979, Jaws fall in love with a girl named Dolly and she had bracers attached to her upper teeth , smiling back to Jaws glitering garment.
    I remember it well becasue I wathed the film with my friend Micke and he had a similar set of braces put in just some weeks before we watched the VHS.

Anyway now her braces are gone from all film clips ever to be found, they never existed !?
    That freaks me out!

Here is a very intresting url to a guy who really investigated it in detail.

http://dolly.barriereader.co.uk/dolly.html

Update 2:nd of May

I noticed that a member from Finland "Wind" had posted about this "Dolly´s bracers" could be misremembering.

(synchronicity)

Here is a Finnsish commercial with the JAW actor Richard Kiel ,playing on the joke with Dolly´s metalliic smile flirt to Jaws.
    Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BhLAWP7jGA
    Last edited by Rawhide68; 2nd June 2017 at 20:22.

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rawhide68 For This Post:

angelfire (2nd June 2017), Carolyn Hamlett (1st June 2017), EFO (2nd June 2017), Innocent Warrior (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), Kano (2nd June 2017), mojo (1st June 2017), Nasu (1st June 2017), Ol' Roy (2nd June 2017), Patient (1st June 2017), Praxis (2nd June 2017), Wind (1st June 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,270 times in 2,100 posts

There are some things that I question my memory on - Jif/Jiffy peanut butter for example. I didn't eat it so I am not sure. Also, the company could have changed it. This is where people question the Mandela effect because commercial items could have been changed intentionally. But, if you have items in your possession that you can use to verify whether things changed or not, this is where you find the proof. There was one person who had his original VHS copy of Star Wars that he watched 1,000 times. Now he goes and finds a VCR and plays his old VHS tape to find that now C3PO has a silver leg when he recalls C3PO being all gold. (I also recall him being all gold.) Some people have a bible that has been in their possession their whole life and find that there are things in there that have changed.

I see many examples on the internet where things have changed, but it wasn't until I found my own item that solidified it for me. I have children, so we watched a lot of kid shows throughout the years. The "Berenstein Bears" was a show I saw 100's of times. It is now "Berenstain Bears". In my family, poop jokes are rampant. When the kids were young, if the show was called "BerenSTAIN Bears", we would have had many jokes about the Bears having a poop "stain" - see? But as we watched it as "Berenstein Bears" there was no joke. But i was still only testing my memory until I found a copy of the kids story book that we had stored in a box in the closet. I found it and expected to see Berenstein Bears, but the book had changed to "Berenstain Bears" and my mind reeled. No one had come into my home and changed the book. The book had changed - and it was the original story book the kids had in their possession.

I do not question whether things really did change or not, because I know they did. My question is why/how did they change and was this intentional or accidental and will there be more changes ahead?

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Carolyn Hamlett (1st June 2017), EFO (2nd June 2017), Happyjak (2nd June 2017), Innocent Warrior (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (1st June 2017), MythKitty (2nd June 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rawhide68 (here)
    I think it´s most of it has to do with people misremembering and companies changing Logo´s and and even brand names over the years.

But there is one Mandela effect that is undeniable in my opinion.

"Dolly's Braces"

In the Bond movie Moonraker from 1979, Jaws fall in love with a girl named Dolly and she had bracers attached to her upper teeth , smiling back to Jaws glitering garment.
    I remember it well becasue I wathed the film with my friend Micke and he had a similar set of braces put in just some weeks before we watched the VHS.

Anyway now her braces are gone from all film clips ever to be found, they never existed !?
    That freaks me out!

Here is a very intresting url to a guy who really investigated it in detail.

http://dolly.barriereader.co.uk/dolly.html
    "Dolly's braces" is a really good example because with her now not having the braces, her scene in the movie does not make sense. The character "Jaws" meets her and when she smiles he falls in love with her. (He has metal teeth and due to the fact that she has braces he was attracted to her - Love at first site.) Now with her not having braces, there is no reason for that scene in the movie to play out as it does.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Carolyn Hamlett (1st June 2017), EFO (2nd June 2017), Happyjak (2nd June 2017), Innocent Warrior (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), Kano (2nd June 2017), mojo (1st June 2017), MythKitty (2nd June 2017), Nasu (2nd June 2017), Praxis (2nd June 2017), wnlight (2nd June 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,698 times in 8,940 posts

you should add

true in the English speaking world saxon world

not true in the other languages worlds

Because I have observed a real diffenrence in between English and French worlds, and I have no idea how come. But I find it strange. And I do not stop repeating this.

Maybe someone will pick up the non English speaking world ball at some point and run with it.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Carolyn Hamlett (1st June 2017), EFO (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (1st June 2017)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

Knowing psychology quite well and after studying the "effect", I'm inclined to think it's false memory syndrome. Most humans have a terrible memory, besides savants! We are not elephants. That being said there are a few anomalies which are hard to explain, but you have to remember that when humans can't always explain something rationally it doesn't mean that there would be something earth shattering explanation behind it. Usually the most simple explanation is the truth, not woo woo. I do believe in parallel universes though.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

bennycog (2nd June 2017), EFO (2nd June 2017), Innocent Warrior (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (2nd June 2017), uzn (2nd June 2017)

27. Link to Post #14
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,554 times in 3,482 posts

Hi Wind

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    Knowing psychology quite well and after studying the "effect", I'm inclined to think it's false memory syndrome.
    Cool, so I'll pick your brain a bit if I may?

What does psychology offer as an explanation for when reality conflicts with highly vivid memories? What alternative theory would you suggest, other than poor memory, that's not "woo woo" (if you have any)?

Thanks in advance.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

EFO (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), sunpaw (3rd June 2017), Wind (2nd June 2017)

29. Link to Post #15
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,554 times in 3,482 posts

If anyone else has answers to my questions to Wind I'm open to them, I've experienced the Mandela Effect but if there are convincing alternative explanations I'm interested in reading them.

Here's a Mandela Effect test. This is an iconic movie scene so there might be others here who see a change or not. Don't say anything yet if you've seen this amongst the Mandela Effect material, does anyone see anything odd in the dance scene? This video was uploaded before the emergence of the Mandela Effect material, 2008.

Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 2nd June 2017 at 01:01.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

EFO (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (2nd June 2017), MythKitty (2nd June 2017), Noelle (2nd June 2017), RunningDeer (2nd June 2017), Wind (2nd June 2017)

31. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

Mandela Effect (Tom Cruise In Risky Business
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 2nd June 2017 at 02:01.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

EFO (2nd June 2017), Innocent Warrior (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (2nd June 2017), Wind (2nd June 2017)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rachel (here)
    Hi Wind
    Hi Rachel. I had a feeling I would be seeing you here.

Quote What does psychology offer as an explanation for when reality conflicts with highly vivid memories? What alternative theory would you suggest, other than poor memory, that's not "woo woo" (if you have any)?
    How vivid are the memories? Are you absolutely certain of remembering some things? For example, I remember the Moonraker "braces scene" too, but then again... I think that I remember the girl in the movie having braces. I am not absolutely sure that she had braces and I believe that even I am able to misremember such thing with so many other people even though I could swear that the girl absolutely had braces in the movie. Yet now she doesn't! However, that's just the only example for me personally which gives even a tiny bit of credence to the theory of Mandela Effect. I saw the movie many years ago so my memory of the movie cannot be completely accurate by any means.

The subject of past and memories is quite interesting. I, like all of us can remember things from past so very clearly and yet we have forgotten some of the things we did yesterday. To my knowledge there's no other proper alternative to mandela effect than false memory syndrome, but then again I'm not sure. Maybe others would know better. It would be exciting and interesting if in reality we actually somehow switched timelines (God knows for what reason), but that's the less beliavable option. These days I take everything with a spoon of salt instead of a pinch. I'm open-minded though, I'm just constantly asking questions and challenging things, including the illusionary reality I perceive with all of my human senses.

I found this article:
    https://aeon.co/ideas/on-shared-fals...mandela-effect

"Although it might be tempting to believe that the Mandela effect is evidence that parallel realities exist or that our universe is a glitchy simulation, a true scientist must test his or her alternative hypothesis by trying to disprove it. In light of known cognitive phenomena that can give rise to shared false memories, it’s highly unlikely that some of us are actually from an alternative universe crossing timelines with the present one. Nonetheless, the Mandela effect is still a fascinating case study in the quirks of human memory. For those who love thinking about how the mind works, it is perhaps even an example of the truth being stranger than fiction."
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

bennycog (2nd June 2017), EFO (2nd June 2017), Innocent Warrior (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (2nd June 2017), Rawhide68 (2nd June 2017), RunningDeer (2nd June 2017)

35. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,579 times in 1,719 posts

Could Mandela have been cloned?

Speaking of real or not, I have a question?

When did Bin Laden die? Was it 2001 or when whats'iz name
    was running for something and we saw the raid by the
    Navy Seals and he was buried at sea?

An other Mandela effect or what? What do you think?
    Last edited by East Sun; 2nd June 2017 at 02:29.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

EFO (2nd June 2017), Innocent Warrior (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (2nd June 2017), Nasu (2nd June 2017)

37. Link to Post #19
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

How vivid are the memories? Are you absolutely certain of remembering some things? For example, I remember the Moonraker "braces scene" too, but then again... I think that I remember the girl in the movie having braces. I am not absolutely sure that she had braces and I believe that even I am able to misremember such thing with so many other people even though I could swear that the girl absolutely had braces in the movie. Yet now she doesn't! However, that's just the only example for me personally which gives even a tiny bit of credence to the theory of Mandela Effect. I saw the movie many years ago so my memory of the movie cannot be completely accurate by any means.

The subject of past and memories is quite interesting. I, like all of us can remember things from past so very clearly and yet we have forgotten some of the things we did yesterday. To my knowledge there's no other proper alternative to mandela effect than false memory syndrome, but then again I'm not sure. Maybe others would know better. It would be exciting and interesting if in reality we actually somehow switched timelines (God knows for what reason), but that's the less beliavable option. These days I take everything with a spoon of salt instead of a pinch. I'm open-minded though, I'm just constantly asking questions and challenging things, including the illusionary reality I perceive with all of my human senses.

My whole family recalls the Berenstein Bears. Absolutely without a doubt.

It was not Bear stain. 100%

I have quite a few kids so we watched the show for about 10 years.

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

EFO (2nd June 2017), Happyjak (4th June 2017), Innocent Warrior (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), Kano (2nd June 2017), mojo (2nd June 2017), Ol' Roy (2nd June 2017), Rawhide68 (2nd June 2017), Wind (2nd June 2017)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Here's one video psychology video I'm watching, sharing in case if it's of interest.

And a couple shorter ones.

Now this guy actually has a photographic memory. Then again, he's a savant.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

EFO (2nd June 2017), justntime2learn (8th June 2017), mojo (2nd June 2017), Raven (2nd June 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast