Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: A Breatharian Couple in Ecuador

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Not condemning breatharianism based on science and research? Hmmm...
    I guess you didn't read my lengthy post on page 1 ... which was based on research and science -- I can provide references to peer reviewed studies if you care ...

Dedukshyn,

I have experienced people ...
    You can't experience others, for one ... and people who stop eating because they are psychotic is not the topic of this thread. There's a clear wee bit of projection here ... Not to diminish your experience with others, but you have to recognize this emotional aspect of yours you bring to this conversation. I feel "Do you have more to bring to this thread than repeating the same thing?" is still quite a valid inquiry ...
    You asked me for a personal anecdote and I gave you one. People who are psychotic often feel 'spiritually moved' to quit eating. Some could become vulnerable to fake gurus promoting breatharianism
    That's a valid statement. We all know there's people trying to make money in anyway they can ... some nefariously. It won't be going away anytime soon.

At the same time to generalize everything regarding restricted eating / getting energy from oxygen under that umbrella is a bit disingenuous, in my opinion.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 20th June 2017 at 22:21.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

IChingUChing (21st June 2017)

3. Link to Post #62
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

The Prophet Elijah RA and Jesus both went without food or drink for 40 days. The Prophet Elijah RA ran through the deserts for 40 days without food or drink by the grace of the most high God of Abraham ibn Terah ibn Nahor.
    Perhaps there is historical precedent.
    Also perhaps this :
    : Is the 'Human Barbie' going natural for good? 'Breatharian' - who claims she lives on air and water - hits gym make-up free AGAIN!

Quote Taking a break from another punishing work out, 'Human Barbie' Valeria Lukyanova has shared some more snaps of herself looking fresh-faced and cosmetic-free.
    Showing off the extremely thin frame that she puts down to her 'breatharian' lifestyle, Valeria's hair is scraped back from her face in a high ponytail while wearing a bright pink crop top.
    Breatharianism, is a cult that believes food - and possibly water - are not necessary for life. Breatharians claim they can exist on 'cosmic micro-food'.

'In recent weeks I have not been hungry at all; I'm hoping it's the final stage before I can subsist on air and light alone,' she claimed in an interview in February.
    The practice has been criticised as potentially lethal pseudoscience, and several practitioners have reportedly died of starvation. None have submitted themselves for comprehensive medical testing.
    Somehow, in spite of her claims that she lives on air and light alone, Valeria has managed to find the energy to work out frequently.
    Earlier in the day, she posed looking unflustered next to an exercise bench which had a towel laid out across it - suggesting she had been working out using the equipment. At this point, her hair was styled in a neat bun and she was wearing a cropped black exercise top with a plunging cleavage.

Last edited by arthurwhite; 20th June 2017 at 23:42.

4. Link to Post #63
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,603 times in 20,701 posts

You have a point, but the focus of the thread changed more to whether breatharianism is actually possible.
    In any case, when a discussion becomes an argument as to who is right and who is wrong, it's no longer a discussion, and that is the problem.
    Threads can go somewhat off topic and still be within allowable limits, but not when they've devolved into arguments.
    Maybe time to split the thread.
    Quote Posted by IChingUChing (here)
    I think some are being quite unfair on AutumnW and others.

The initial post is a newspaper article from the UK's Independent paper with the title "Breatharian couple claim to live on 'energy'". As part of the article it states, "But with NHS figures showing that around 6.4 per cent of Brits show signs of eating disorders, they’re dangerous claims to make."

Now why is it "off topic" to agree with what the NHS says in the article?

Personally I find it strange and questionable why a mainstream newspaper would be printing such a story. Also not off topic. If it was printed in "Breatharian Monthly" maybe some of us wouldn't have been so concerned.

Plus the topic is a young couple who have 2 children with at least one of them given birth to when supposedly not eating.

This is what has raised alarm bells for several members.

I too was fascinated by the Buddha Boy documentary back in 2009 but then later saw another film where they said they couldn't be 100% certain he didn't eat or drink as the family put screens up around him at certain times and the scientists could not see what happened behind the screens at those times.

Back to topic - Personally I see a world of difference between a documentary about a meditating Buddha Boy and a woman claiming she gave birth to a healthy baby after only eating 5 times in 9 months.

Surely that is the topic - a woman claiming she gave birth to a healthy baby after only eating 5 times in 9 months and why is a newspaper printing the story? Is it ethical for a newspaper to print such a story? That for me is definitely part of the topic.

Buddha Boys or other Saddhus may possibly be able to live from prana but the Independent article wasn't about them.

In relation to the couple who the topic is about, how come "they eat ... three times a week" now but while pregnant she only ate 5 times in 9 months? That in itself doesn't add up to me.

Just saying - I think AutumnW and others are right on topic just as much as those bringing forward possible evidence of cases of breatharianism.
    Each breath a gift...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

DeDukshyn (20th June 2017), IChingUChing (21st June 2017)

6. Link to Post #64
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,124 times in 2,678 posts

Onawah,

There is nothing in the thread that requires being split off. It's interesting. People can agree to disagree and become a bit annoyed and it's all okay. Nobody has been clearly mean spirited, insulting or nasty. Not agreeing with somebody isn't necessarily disruptive. It can be educational.

I was VERY interested in Dawn's post. I don't know what was going on in her life at the time, but her description of hiking in the dark was so evocative. I loved it. And then her description of how she perceived breathing, was fantastic -- as well as eating for the first time after a very long time. She was so articulate, I could feel the experience she was describing.

And whether she was starving herself, or severely limiting her caloric intake, it was just a wonder to read.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Eva2 (5th November 2017), IChingUChing (21st June 2017), Jantje (23rd June 2017)

8. Link to Post #65
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,603 times in 20,701 posts

Dawn is a purist when it comes to food and experimented a lot, as you will see if you take a look at her long thread about gut health. She is not only articulate, but very disciplined.
    Each breath a gift...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Stephanie (6th October 2021)

10. Link to Post #66
    Ecuador Honored, Retired Member. Warren passed on 2 July, 2020.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,540 times in 864 posts

The above postings in this thread are about charlatans and also very honest people. You will have to discern the one from the other.

It is easy to go two or three days without food. Try it. With conviction. Once I tried a diet of alternating days with food and without food. I allowed myself all the water and black coffee that I desired. This diet really is not difficult to follow, but I lost no weight. I simply had a very confused body. It is also easy to go vegetarian, but my cravings for meat will quickly overcome me. :-)

Three years ago, I became quite interested in "sun eating". I even designed an app to alert and show the best times for a safe window of sun eating when the sun is low in the sky. (Don't do it when the sun is very high.) The app would also time my doses and help provide a log to maintain a schedule of this activity, since it is suggested in the beginning to gradually increase sunlight consumption. It worked in any latitude. However, while I was filling in the design with code, I decided not to publish because someone might abuse the process and harm himself. Perhaps blinding himself. I had this vision of a class action suit against me by hundreds of blind people for encouraging unsafe activities! You can look up sun eating to find all the good benefits from other web sources. I will not release my app.

For myself, I found it difficult to continue sun eating here in this land of common all-day cloudiness, and have lost interest. At times I really miss living in the Mojave desert. BTW, my eyesight was not harmed. My eyesight is really good - for someone of 73 years.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wnlight For This Post:

Ben (23rd June 2017), Foxie Loxie (21st June 2017), Joe from the Carolinas (11th November 2017), Mike (21st June 2017)

12. Link to Post #67
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

In an infinite universe, there are infinite possibilities. The most extreme and wondrous things occur when doubt is not present. A skeptic will never experience the miracles of nature and the unfolding of seemingly unique manifestations.

Anything is possible! Only that which has yet to be conceived is impossible, to paraphrase some old sage-like dude.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Ben (23rd June 2017), Foxie Loxie (21st June 2017), Franny (27th June 2017), Jantje (21st June 2017)

14. Link to Post #68
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,270 times in 2,725 posts

We all k ow that truth is normally meddled with scam. And scams are normally what comes up on .ainztrem media incjuding this one but that does not mean there are no real breatharians

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

conk (23rd June 2017)

16. Link to Post #69
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,124 times in 2,678 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    In an infinite universe, there are infinite possibilities. The most extreme and wondrous things occur when doubt is not present. A skeptic will never experience the miracles of nature and the unfolding of seemingly unique manifestations.

Anything is possible! Only that which has yet to be conceived is impossible, to paraphrase some old sage-like dude.
    This is a common misperception. An infinite universe must conform to rules of physics and biological realities, upon which it is based. Strangeness that can not NOW be accounted for is detected at the sub-atomic level, but does not appear to interfere with the structure of our universe, at a molecular level.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

conk (23rd June 2017)

18. Link to Post #70
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)

This is a common misperception. An infinite universe must conform to rules of physics and biological realities, upon which it is based. Strangeness that can not NOW be accounted for is detected at the sub-atomic level, but does not appear to interfere with the structure of our universe, at a molecular level.
    Just don't restrict or limit yourself to commonly understood rules. There are very well documented cases of instantaneous healings or occurrences that seem to defy these rules. An intention begins the bubbling and rising of a possibility vortex, which can turn into a probability, then to a reality. For every idea or thought there is a vortex of potential awaiting the go ahead to become reality. Focus, intention without doubt brings that into physical enfoldment. Dr. David Hawkins writes in detail about these "attractor fields". Mr. Sheldrake writes of them as well, calling them Morphogenic Fields. We just have to adjust our idea of what is possible, of course within the laws of nature.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th November 2017), Stephanie (6th October 2021)

20. Link to Post #71
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,808 times in 2,559 posts

I'd be most interested in how/what Dawn is doing now. She is on a most interesting discovery of self journey. Too bad she doesn't make sporadic visits to the forum. I tried her website www.relationshipbeyondboundaries.com but not sure if its still operating - comes up "can't find server". Does she have another website?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Stephanie (6th October 2021)

22. Link to Post #72
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

I’ve seen plenty of people die in the hospital from no food, no water, no J tube, no IV fluids. They call it refusing or withdrawing care. If breatharianism is so beneficial from the sustenance of cosmic energy, how come withdrawing care doesn’t heal the sick, but seems to be connected with the start of the physical death process?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th November 2017), Nasu (8th November 2017)

24. Link to Post #73
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,723 times in 32,945 posts

Quote Posted by JoefromtheCarolinas (here)
    I’ve seen plenty of people die in the hospital from no food, no water, no J tube, no IV fluids. They call it refusing or withdrawing care. If breatharianism is so beneficial from the sustenance of cosmic energy, how come withdrawing care doesn’t heal the sick, but seems to be connected with the start of the physical death process?
    It's a good question, but maybe the reason is because one has to be really quite an advanced adept to make it work.

Bumped from my post #47:

~~~

Go look up the Nepalese Buddha Boy. Please do.

He sat in deep meditation under a tree for 10 months, never ate or drank a thing, and was on camera the whole time, often in front of crowds of people. He was just a teenager.

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (8th November 2017), DeDukshyn (8th November 2017), Did You See Them (8th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (8th November 2017), Heart-2-Heart (8th November 2017), Joe from the Carolinas (11th November 2017), Nasu (8th November 2017), phillipbbg (8th November 2017), seko (9th November 2017), Stephanie (6th October 2021)

26. Link to Post #74
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by JoefromtheCarolinas (here)
    It's a good question, but maybe the reason is because one has to be really quite an advanced adept to make it work.

Bumped from my post #47:

~~~

Go look up the Nepalese Buddha Boy. Please do.

He sat in deep meditation under a tree for 10 months, never ate or drank a thing, and was on camera the whole time, often in front of crowds of people. He was just a teenager.

Whoa.. thank you Bill! This does give me a paradigm shift to toss around. It also struck me that people that are sick and in the hospital wouldn’t be a fair comparison because their bodies are already impaired, rather than ideally functioning.

In looking at the facts of the documentary, the Buddha Boy picked a smart place to sit. He chose an enclosure, the thick tree under a forest canopy, that shielded him on nearly 3 sides— this can provide measurable results in wind, rain, and frost protection.

What really got me in the documentary was when they showed the story of the other meditator Prahlad Jani, the 10 day hospital observation experiment toward the end. Apparently he was studied again in 2010 by the Indian military for 15 days.

Dang!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th November 2017), Stephanie (6th October 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4