+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spiritual Practices For Becoming Financially Independent / Self Sufficient & Enabled

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Spiritual Practices For Becoming Financially Independent / Self Suff & Empowered

Blessings, love, light, peace, joy , health, wealth, prosperity:

I am new here.

2: I realize that perhaps de-t is a form of a quantitative expression of one's "s-ns"? I know we are all innocent and remain so no matter our act (ref. Nagle, Plato) . Nonetheless , I am working on removing all s-nful thoughts and practices and engaging in r-pentance (p-nance etc.). I know I am innocent and I know God is light , love & forgiveness but I kind of could not suffer any more and began p-nitential practices (it would be great if we all remained ever youthful in body and spirit/innocence and did not suffer).

I attended a sermon and the cleric said that if you consume "interest" on wealth then the wealth does not exactly enlarge. I don't have much beyond maybe in my savings account , on which I earn non-reportable amounts of interest.

The cleric also asked to give to charity (which I do to panhandlers and various houses of worship ). I was asked to work hard and save money . I used to be able to work hard ... but find both difficult now.

I also find that despite my ivy league education (grad work and grad degrees and work experience in fields that are in highest of demand) I am yet to attract offers and work I am interested in (or even something I am able to embark upon/ without an "inner voice" sowing thoughts in my mind and discouraging me from accepting even the not so desirable employment). I find that despite my field of study I cannot seem to escape certain unpleasant employers (in my POV) contacting me (completely unrelated to my study) and those relevant to my field of study do not seem very interested, perhaps.

I am rather un comfortable with my present level of de-t and my present state of non wealth. It is incorrect that first the spiritual att-cks happen , things go wrong , people are forced to s-n (against their will or in their sleep etc.) and they are then rid-culed , called s-nners and subjected to non wealth and non independence. This is in-equity perhaps.

It is written in the Bible that wealth brings many friends/lovers and the not so wealthy are not dear even to the near & dear ones. I believe everyone has the right to blessings and wealth without non-joy (and without any non-positive unwholesome attachments to the wealth) -as mentioned in the Bible. This wealth so we may live virtuously, ponder over the best of ideas and allow self and others to enjoy the ideal lifestyle. I believe none deserve to be without wealth and freedom for it is lack of wealth and freedom which lead to non virtue. I never worried about wealth but pr-vation may lead to pondering over wealth...

Thank you in advance and blessings and joy and love and prosperity for all!

p.s. this is my first post, it says I have made three posts in my profile, which is rather in accurate
    Last edited by arthurwhite; 21st June 2017 at 11:14.

2. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

Default Re: Spiritual Practices For Becoming Financially Independent / Self Sufficient & Enabled

I think you haz two problems, one is with vowels,the other is with the type of (so called) Christianity you subscribe to, which has a very strange slant on things.

Please someone tell me this is PA & not the Disclose TV facebook page

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

9ideon (22nd June 2017), arthurwhite (20th June 2017), Foxie Loxie (20th June 2017), justntime2learn (29th June 2017), kirolak (20th June 2017), LadyKitt (20th June 2017), littleOne (21st June 2017), Mike (21st June 2017), Omni (23rd June 2017)

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Default Re: Spiritual Practices For Becoming Financially Independent / Self Sufficient & Enabled

Quote Posted by arthurwhite (here)
    p.s. this is my first post, it says I have made three posts in my profile, which is rather in accurate
    You do have three posts so far:
    1. Your Membership Request (which only the moderators can see),
    2. your post on Bill Ryan's Welcome thread, and
    3. this post above, to which I am replying.
    So, yes, only one regular post, but still three total, thanks to the other two special case posts.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 20th June 2017 at 02:02.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

arthurwhite (20th June 2017), Foxie Loxie (20th June 2017), justntime2learn (29th June 2017), LadyKitt (20th June 2017), Nasu (20th June 2017), Shannon (30th June 2017), Spiral (19th June 2017)

6. Link to Post #4
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Spiral (here)
    I think you haz two problems, one is with vowels,the other is with the type of (so called) Christianity you subscribe to, which has a very strange slant on things.

Whats "PA"?
    Whats "Disclose TV fb page"?
    Googling either yielded no definitive answer.
    Why are you writing so "you haz two problems"? which ethnicity do you mistake me for?
    I have deliberately omitted some letters (vowels) because I did not want to write any non positive words.
    I love the UK and Churchill but how is a spiritual website with the image of love (albeit nonwhite) like this ok with such non-loving images ?

7. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

Whats "PA"?
    Whats "Disclose TV fb page"?
    Googling either yielded no definitive answer.
    Why are you writing so "you haz two problems"? which ethnicity do you mistake me for?
    I have deliberately omitted some letters (vowels) because I did not want to write any non positive words.
    I love the UK and Churchill but how is a spiritual website with the image of love (albeit nonwhite) like this ok with such non-loving images ?

PA is here, Project Avalon

Disclose TV has a facebook page with about 96k members, nearly all are a can short of a six pack & I thought you might kinda fit in

Vowels are really quite helpful to those of us that didn't grow up as pre common era rabinical scholars btw.

The UK is the seat of much evil, they just do a good job of making it look otherwise, Churchill was very interested in (re) writing history, & was not a nice man, look up Gallipoli & how he fitted up Bomber Harris.

I don't get ethnic stuff because I'm autistic, its like paint on a car to me, the rest I don't get either.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

arthurwhite (20th June 2017), Mike (21st June 2017), Shannon (30th June 2017)

9. Link to Post #6
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,551 times in 3,482 posts

Spiral, keep the discussion respectful please.

Arthur, welcome to Avalon. About the vowels, leaving them out gave the opposite effect for me as I hovered over those words a moment longer to fill in the gaps.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

arthurwhite (20th June 2017), justntime2learn (29th June 2017), Mike (21st June 2017), Nasu (27th June 2017), Shannon (30th June 2017), Spiral (21st June 2017)

11. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,529 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Rachel (here)
    About the vowels, leaving them out gave the opposite effect for me as I hovered over those words a moment longer to fill in the gaps.
    Yes. It merely emphasizes the words.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

arthurwhite (20th June 2017), Innocent Warrior (21st June 2017), justntime2learn (29th June 2017), Mike (21st June 2017), Nasu (27th June 2017), Shannon (30th June 2017), Spiral (21st June 2017)

13. Link to Post #8
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rachel (here)
    Arthur, welcome to Avalon. About the vowels, leaving them out gave the opposite effect for me as I hovered over those words a moment longer to fill in the gaps.
    Blessings, peace, love , joy , light and kindness.
    May Australia (and all the lands) be blessed as Albion and Scandinavia with snow fall and grass and flowers and rivers and lakes of crystal clear waters ...
    I will try harder to avoid using non-positive words.

Blessings and peace and every goodness for all.
    p.s. I believe personal non-pacifism (detracting from the issues at hand and then making personal observations about posters ) is supposed to be unacceptable everywhere on the net (it is part of the net etiquette that people ought to revolve around issues and not on making non positive personal observations). I believe project avalon may have such rules as well, perhaps?

The UK is the seat of much non-good, they just do a good job of making it look otherwise, Churchill was very interested in (re) writing history, & was not a nice man, look up Gallipoli & how he fitted up ---- Harris.
    I adore Churchill and his narration of our history and the people he sided with as well as the UK and the House of Windsor (Tudor & Orange) too perhaps. I believe some may have an incorrect perception of some folk.
    Last edited by arthurwhite; 21st June 2017 at 00:01.

14. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

I'd suggest that if someone is very reluctant to write the word 'debt' (for instance), then that implies that they're afraid of it, and may have a lot of attention on it.

Debt is debt. It's real — for very many people. For someone in debt to face the reality of their situation, and therefore deal with it, they have to look at it square in the eye.

If one owes money, avoiding the word, the concept and the thought of 'debt' will not help, at all... in my strong opinion.

If you stand in the highway, with a truck heading straight for you, and close your eyes and say: "There is no truck. There is no truck. There is no truck" ... it'll hit you anyway.

Life is at least partly about taking smart action to avoid those trucks... and that means opening one's eyes and telling the truth about reality.

15. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

7alon (21st June 2017), arthurwhite (21st June 2017), Clear Light (21st June 2017), Eram (21st June 2017), Kano (21st June 2017), littleOne (21st June 2017), Michi (21st June 2017), Mike (21st June 2017), Nasu (27th June 2017), shadowstalker (3rd September 2017), Shannon (30th June 2017), Spiral (21st June 2017), Spirithorse (21st June 2017), sunpaw (22nd June 2017), Wind (22nd June 2017)

16. Link to Post #10
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    I'd suggest that if someone is very reluctant to write the word 'non-equity' (for instance), then that implies that they're afraid of it, and may have a lot of attention on it.

non-equity is non-equity. It's real — for very many people. For someone in non-equity to face the reality of their situation, and therefore deal with it, they have to look at it square in the eye.

If one owes money, avoiding the word, the concept and the thought of 'non-equity' will not help, at all... in my strong opinion.

If you stand in the highway, with a non-beautiful-vehicle heading straight for you, and close your eyes and say: "There is no non-beautiful-vehicle. There is no non-beautiful-vehicle. There is no non-beautiful-vehicle" ... it'll non-love you anyway.

Life is at least partly about taking smart action to avoid those non-beautiful-vehicle... and that means opening one's eyes and telling the truth about reality.
    Thank you . I used to be able to face reality (and still can), then the beautiful, fair, unforgettable Irish folk loved me and I guess I am no longer able to confront some non positive aspects of life.
    Last edited by arthurwhite; 21st June 2017 at 00:08.

17. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

I'd suggest that if someone is very reluctant to write the word 'non-equity' (for instance), then that implies that they're afraid of it, and may have a lot of attention on it.

non-equity is non-equity. It's real — for very many people. For someone in non-equity to face the reality of their situation, and therefore deal with it, they have to look at it square in the eye.

If one owes money, avoiding the word, the concept and the thought of 'non-equity' will not help, at all... in my strong opinion.

If you stand in the highway, with a non-beautiful-vehicle heading straight for you, and close your eyes and say: "There is no non-beautiful-vehicle. There is no non-beautiful-vehicle. There is no non-beautiful-vehicle" ... it'll non-love you anyway.

Life is at least partly about taking smart action to avoid those non-beautiful-vehicle... and that means opening one's eyes and telling the truth about reality.
    Thank you . I used to be able to face reality (and still can), then the beautiful, fair, unforgettable Irish folk loved me and I guess I am no longer able to deal with some non positive aspects of life.
    Wow. Trucks are VERY beautiful. And so are truckers. We depend on them. They bring the food you eat to the stores. If all trucks were to suddenly disappear, we'd be in very deep trouble.

I'll say this here: (and I wonder what you may change my quoted words to say )

I think you may have a serious problem concerning denial.

The first quality one needs when manifesting — manifesting anything! — is courage.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

arthurwhite (21st June 2017), Eram (21st June 2017), littleOne (21st June 2017), Nasu (27th June 2017), sunpaw (22nd June 2017), Whiskey_Mystic (21st June 2017)

19. Link to Post #12
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

...The first quality one needs when manifesting — manifesting anything! — is courage.
    Thank you.
    It would be nice if I had (more) courage (all people did and above all not merely courage but the highest of virtues).
    I apologize for editing your words but I did not think the thread would veer into such imagery.
    p.s. perhaps I can visualize a world where the vehicles are beautiful and run on electricity (entirely benign and not on some non refined derivative of fossil fuels). I can visualize a world where people are perfectly groomed like gentlemen and have soft hands and virtuous words and thoughts only upon their lips ...
    Last edited by arthurwhite; 21st June 2017 at 00:42.

20. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

Hello arthurwhite,

My experience and reality model differ from yours. I have been wealthy and I have been impoverished. I'll probably be both again, if not in this life then in another.

There's nothing wrong with wealth, save that it can cause distraction. Likewise, poverty itself is not a barrier to growth and enlightenment. Many spiritual traditions renounce possessions altogether in order to remove distraction or to completely let go of desire. The sadhus of India or the hermit traditions of China, for example. Closer to your own tradition, the Franciscans emulated the asceticism of St. Francis. You might recall Jesus saying something about rich men, camels, and the eye of a needle.

There are many paths up the mountain. I've seen nothing in life that indicates that a particular income level is required for the ascent.

You mentioned your specific employment dilemma. Probably everyone on this forum has done work they weren't excited about at some point. It's not the rest of your life, it's just necessary sometimes to put food in the belly. I know someone who once found a Tibetan master flipping burgers at a roadside stand. The Master had recently immigrated to the US and needed funds. His ego had no response to the situation. He just did what was necessary at the time.

What is truly preventing you from accepting employment? Is it that life isn't meeting your expectation?

What is your dream? What is your mission and purpose? This is what we call your "baby". You are the parent who will give birth to your dreams. So then, do what needs to be done to feed the baby.

“If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.”
    – Mark Twain
    Last edited by Whiskey_Mystic; 21st June 2017 at 02:47.
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

21. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

arthurwhite (21st June 2017), Chester (22nd June 2017), Eram (21st June 2017), GaelVictor (22nd July 2017), Iloveyou (21st June 2017), Innocent Warrior (21st June 2017), justntime2learn (29th June 2017), Matthew (24th June 2017), Mike (21st June 2017), Nasu (27th June 2017), Ol' Roy (28th June 2017), Shannon (30th June 2017), Spiral (21st June 2017), sunpaw (22nd June 2017), Wind (22nd June 2017)

22. Link to Post #14
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Whiskey_Mystic (here)
    Hello arthurwhite,
    My experience and reality model differ from yours. I have been wealthy and I have been impoverished. I'll probably be both again, if not in this life then in another.
    There's nothing wrong with wealth, save that it can cause distraction. Likewise, poverty itself is not a barrier to growth and enlightenment. Many spiritual traditions renounce possessions altogether in order to remove distraction or to completely let go of desire. The sadhus of India or the hermit traditions of China, for example. Closer to your own tradition, the Franciscans emulated the asceticism of St. Francis. You might recall Jesus saying something about rich men, camels, and the eye of a needle.
    There are many paths up the mountain. I've seen nothing in life that indicates that a particular income level is required for the ascent.
    You mentioned your specific employment dilemma. Probably everyone on this forum has done work they weren't excited about at some point. It's not the rest of your life, it's just necessary sometimes to put food in the belly. I know someone who once found a Tibetan master flipping burgers at a roadside stand. The Master had recently immigrated to the US and needed funds. His ego had no response to the situation. He just did what was necessary at the time.
    What is truly preventing you from accepting employment? Is it that life isn't meeting your expectation?
    What is your dream? What is your mission and purpose? This is what we call your "baby". You are the parent who will give birth to your dreams. So then, do what needs to be done to feed the baby.
    “If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.”
    – Mark Twain
    I am interested in the joyous and most correct most virtuous path (by definition the easiest path; because virtue is easy and non-virtue non-easy). If life is a "journey" according to some then recommend the most easy, most heavenly , most plentiful, most enjoyable path.
    Thanks to all the responders for any spiritual solutions to these problems , clerics included.
    Amazing.
    Last edited by arthurwhite; 21st June 2017 at 03:13.

23. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

I am interested in the joyous and most correct most virtuous path (by definition the easiest path; because virtue is easy and non-virtue non-easy). If life is a "journey" according to some then recommend the most easy, most heavenly , most plentiful, most enjoyable path.
    Well, there's the thing, right? We each have different challenges to face. Different classes that we have enrolled in. And the most joyous path may not be the most virtuous. The most plentiful may not be the most enjoyable. The most easy may not be the most plentiful.

But it's not all a riddle. We've all chosen to be here, I think, and we did so for a reason. But not the same reason for everyone. Bill once gave a good lesson on finding your purpose. He said that when you find the thing that gives you energy to do it, that's the thing. Maybe he'll elaborate here. It was one of the most important lessons I ever heard.

I'm recommending two things for you since you are asking. Foundational homework to help you get started.
    First, I'm pointing you to a video I pointed everyone else to recently. It's this interview with Bill here: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...38#post1154238
    You might find it useful.
    Second, I recommend Sukhavati by Joseph Campbell. It's a kind of foundational spiritual primer. No matter your tradition, you'll find a basis for further exploration of the kinds of questions you are asking. You can find it on Amazon or pieces of it on youtube.

If you're not familiar with Campbell, he's the scholar of mythology whose teachings formed much of the inspiration for Lucas writing Star Wars.
    Here is a nibble of Campbell talking about your life's purpose.

Last edited by Whiskey_Mystic; 21st June 2017 at 03:33.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

arthurwhite (21st June 2017), Chester (22nd June 2017), Eram (21st June 2017), Mike (21st June 2017), Nasu (27th June 2017), Wind (22nd June 2017)

25. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,307 times in 5,692 posts

Unfortunately, on our journey to do the things we want to do, we often have to do things we don't want to do.

I think you may find that the "spiritual" solution to the problem is the most challenging actually. It's interesting to me that you would assume otherwise.

You make a few interesting assumptions actually, one being that lust is an "attack". Lust is pretty normal, especially when you're engaged in some mind numbing office job...the mind will tend to wander there. I assure you, it's quite common. It sounds to me like you've constructed quite an elaborate spiritual drama in your head...when in reality it appears that you're just bored and horny. Good news is, you're not alone. Welcome to the world my friend.

However, if you insist that lust isn't virtuous, and you wish to continue to suppress it, I might suggest that this wealth and freedom you seek will only result in more of it!...for obvious reasons.

Your thinking is....interesting

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

arthurwhite (21st June 2017), Chester (22nd June 2017), Eram (21st June 2017), Nasu (27th June 2017), Spiral (21st June 2017), Whiskey_Mystic (21st June 2017), Wind (22nd June 2017)

27. Link to Post #17
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Well, there's the thing, right? We each have different challenges to face. Different classes that we have enrolled in. And the most joyous path may not be the most virtuous. The most plentiful may not be the most enjoyable. The most easy may not be the most plentiful. ....He said that when you find the thing that gives you energy to do it, that's the thing.
    That would be your world view (for you and yours). That is not what I ascribe to and that is not what the Bible says.
    Life is not a "school" or class for me- for you maybe but not for me or mine.
    If one cannot lead correctly then must one mis - lead ?
    If one cannot reform without harm then must one harm in an attempt to reform?

If someone is energetic in acts of impeity then is that the right act?
    If someone is energetic in an a profession that de-grades is indignified (for self and others) and non-good for the body / mind or health is that right?
    If someone is energetic and forced into a profession that is not the highest, noblest or acceptable to the professor then is that profession / work right?

If you want to do something unpleasant to get to your goal then so be it. Kindly do not assume others should , (nor assume that everyone does) , nor be upset with others if they obtain their goals without the unpleasantness.

Here is a nibble of Campbell talking about y-ur life's purpose.
    Again, this your and Mr. Campbell's POV perhaps. Kindly do not use "your" . Mr. Campbell and you perhaps are unfamiliar with my life's purpose.
    Did my previous words of kindness cause you to assume that you may become so familiar with me?
    Is this the kind of "courage" that you have?
    What unkindness contained propel folk to pay it forward so ?
    Why even contain and cause the persistence / existence of such unkindness?
    I encourage you and all particularly those seemingly kind (and benevolent in holy settings) to be overtly unkind rather than to use subtler methods in order to avoid a moderator's attention?

I recall how at times when doing something mundane I would be possesed with bouts of unhappiness towards a certain religion/ civilization / group of peoples (the good Roman Catholics). I atleast recognize that such a strong emotion was not me and was something directed at (inculcated within) me.
    Last edited by arthurwhite; 21st June 2017 at 05:18.

28. Link to Post #18
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    However, if you insist that lust isn't virtuous, and you wish to continue to suppress it, I might suggest that this wealth and freedom you seek will only result in more of it!...for obvious reasons.
    I do not have to "supress" lust . It is a spiritual att-ck which I can sense and feel (like a wave). I know the direction of it and the part of the body where it lands.
    I would think people here at Project Avalon would know what I am talking about.
    Wealth and freedom do not result in more of what is non good.
    The Bible says wealth and prosperity are the result of the blessings of the Lord most high. The Lord gives wealth without any effort on our part and He adds no non-virtue to this blessing. The Bible says that wealth brings us friends while non-wealth estranges even the blood relations.
    The Greeks call non-wealth the mother of non virtue.
    When wealthy(er) and free(er) I was more secure against impious thoughts.
    What you say might hold true for you. Not for me, and the people I care about.
    It is strange that I have to go over the basics in a post with answers that contain such astoundingly basic inaccuracies.

Please if any are non benign kindly refrain from reading my posts or responding or heeding me.
    Last edited by arthurwhite; 21st June 2017 at 04:28.

29. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

When you ask a question, you might receive an answer. What you do with it is entirely up to you. But I would suggest that in order to hear the answer to any question, you must first let go of what you think the answer should be. Else why ask? Blessings to you as you seek your answers. _()_

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

arthurwhite (21st June 2017), Chester (22nd June 2017), Mike (21st June 2017), Nasu (27th June 2017), Spiral (21st June 2017), Wind (22nd June 2017)

31. Link to Post #20
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

When you ask a question, you might receive an answer. What you do with it is entirely up to you. But I would suggest that in order to hear the answer to any question, you must first let go of what you think the answer should be. Else why ask? Blessings to you as you seek your answers. _()_
    Perhaps its not upto folk to ask and certainly not upto folk to receive. Perhaps because perhaps we live in a world not entirely known to us (ref. Nagle) which renders us innocent from the day we are born and innocent even when we are incorrect (for we are not omniscient).
    But I try nonetheless to receive what is good (unless something alarming makes me defensive; I will review your responses when less alarmed).
    May we all be rightly guided.
    Blessings and peace and all that is good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast