+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need info for help in Canada - fighting for basic rights and just getting nowhere!

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,223 times in 2,093 posts

Default Need info for help in Canada - fighting for basic rights and just getting nowhere!

The most urgent issue is our monthly child tax benefit that we have not received since moving residences in 2014. There was somehow a disconnect and every since then we have been trying to get our monthly child tax return.

We have done everything that the Canada revenue agency has ask us to and provided every doc. We have gone to gain the help of our local Member of Parliament. (and so anyone that might take this step should be made aware - once you involve an MP, Canada revenue shuts down communication to you and will only go through the MP. And as the MPs are very busy, your file could get buried.)

I have 6 children - 2 of which are special needs (thanks to vaccines). It seems that due to Child Taxes being held from us, all other agencies (Social assistance, disability, etc) are refusing to help me in any way. One agency asked me if I was being investigated for fraud - which I am not - at least not that I am aware - but they shut down communication to me.

I have a debilitating disease which constantly affects my ability to work and I am not receiving any health benefits at all - not even help with the cost of medication. We finally spoke to an agent at Canada revenue today that said that by what he sees, there is no reason why they are holding our money from us. I can not get any help on this. Any new thoughts would be helpful. Can't afford a lawyer - they all reply that legal aid would not be enough as this would cost a lot.

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,261 times in 1,414 posts

Default Re: Need info for help in Canada - fighting for basic rights and just getting nowhere!

How do I apply for the Canada Child Benefit (CCB)?
    The Canada Child Benefit (CCB) is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18.

Important note: As of July 1, 2016, the CCB replaces the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB), the National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS) and the Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB). If you were receiving CCTB or UCCB, you do not need to apply for the CCB.

To apply for the Canadian Child Benefit (CCB), complete the Canada Child Benefits Application (RC66) form.

If you are applying for the first time, you may need to provide supporting documentation, such as proof of immigration status in Canada and proof of birth for:

Children born outside of Canada; or
    Children who were born in Canada but are 1 year of age or older.
    The CCB application form has more information about what documents can be used as proof. Send photocopies, not originals.

This can be a confusing process. If you need more information or help, contact the Canada Revenue Agency or a settlement agency. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me.

Where do I send my application?
    When your CCB application is complete, mail it and any other required forms or documents to a tax services office near you.

What happens after I apply?
    You will receive a Canada Child Benefit Notice within 80 calendar days of submitting your CCB application. The notice will tell you how much your benefit is (if anything) and how your benefit was calculated.

To continue to receive the CCB, you and your spouse or common-law partner each have to file separate tax returns every year, even if you have no income to report.

http://settlement.org/ontario/employ...-for-the-cctb/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Patient (27th June 2017)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Default Re: Need info for help in Canada - fighting for basic rights and just getting nowhere!

I was given a terrible run-around by these people who actually "cooked" a tax return so that it looked like I was earning too much money for the allowance. Getting them to revisit and review my tax return as I had submitted it was nearly impossible. I am sorry to learn of your difficulties and you certainly don't need this. I don't know if this will help, but it is a technique I have been playing around with lately and while I cannot guarantee that it will help you, it seems to be helping me. What I do is a self-suggestion that I am on the time line where the problem will be resolved quickly and easily or the solution will present itself or, better yet, the situation is behind me and resolved to my advantage. I keep my focus on the time line suggestion whenever fear comes up surrounding the issue, and I drop the thought after I have repeated the suggestion so that I am out of the way energetically and thus allow the issue to be dealt with by the universe, except to take any necessary action along the way. It seems to be working ...

Have you tried applying for it afresh? as suggested above.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gillian For This Post:

Patient (27th June 2017)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Another suggestion is to ensure you and your spouse, if you have one, have filed tax returns for the past few years. The CRA use tax return info to determine eligibility for the child benefit. Even if you earned little or no income, one should file a return. H+R Block will do one cheap if its simple.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Patient (27th June 2017)

8. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Yes, our tax returns have been done each and every year. The money they owe us has been done on their end ( as we heard from an agent at the Canada tax agency, but he had limited visibility of our account). He claimed to not know why it is not being given to us. We have paperwork from them telling us we are owed it, but they will not release it to us. That is the issue - they just are not giving it to us.

You know we all see things that governments do to people of their country. We are affected by the chemtrails, vaccines and other things. But when it is right in your face directly hurting your children it really gets the blood boiling. The vaccine issue of course hurts, but that was a lot of research over a long period of time. When your children are waiting for clothing and other things and the government lies to you - while other families receive their funds - it is hitting you right at home.

One of the tax agents who we spoke to on the phone would not even give us their i.d. number.

As a Canadian, I have always spoke up about how proud I am as a Canadian. As a parent, this is part of your roots you teach and pass on to your kids. I am saddened by the fact that that feeling is disappearing.

Interesting thought - is this a necessary part of the "ascension" of the human race? Perhaps we need to break down the barriers of governments and countries and find common problems and issues that the common person fights against in every part of the world? Maybe this could be a way to find common ground between different cultures if you look at how governments are not treating people correctly. Why have a governing body that is elected into power in a democratic society that is not doing what they are suppose to do at a basic level? Easy to see the problems, but harder to find how to create and execute the solution.

At least I have a forum where I can speak my mind and hope that my input might have a positive impact somewhere, sometime.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Nasu (27th June 2017)

10. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

What about your local MP? Missing in action?

B.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

11. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 times in 1,310 posts

The CRA answers to nobody.......other departments are not affiliated with them in any way to my knowledge and experience so trying to get other agencies or systems to intervene goes no where..when you owe them money they are on top of things to a nauseating degree but when they owe you money it is like pulling hens teeth to get it released. If all the so called anomalies have been taken care of then just stay on it and in touch with as much pleasantry as you can muster and one day a cheque for the full amount will show up in your bank account. Perseverance and Patience is the name of the game...
    Love and Light Always/Sandy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sandy For This Post:

Lifebringer (27th June 2017)

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

I miss kicking like that avitar too. (giggles)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

sandy (28th June 2017)

15. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,310 times in 322 posts

Have you been in touch with local newspapers, radio stations and/or community groups to focus attention on your difficulty getting your benefits from the CCB? No government agency or institution appreciates negative media attention especially if it goes viral.

If Avalon members knew your location one of us might be able to suggest useful contacts in MSM.

16. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 times in 784 posts

Although you have contacted an MP you can still engage directly.

1. Considering sending registered letter to the Federal Minister responsible and copy your MP on the the letter.
    2. You can go to local legal clinic, they are funded to help in many areas and also work with settlement groups.
    3. You can go to local ( municipal) social services offices and apply for assistance. They will certainly help with the children with disabilities as those programs are usually Provincial not Federal. No one "really" is without medical/drug benefits in Canada. They are administered provincially and locally.

If this does not work contact an opposition Member of Parliament they tend to be happy to help embarrass the sitting government.
    CBC has an investigative group called GoPublic as do most local tv stations.

Someone "may" be playing with your benefits account as this is almost always done through direct deposits, not cheques. If you are on the phone keep "escalating" the calls to superiors, then managers etc.

Good luck.

17. Link to Post #11
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

A lot of these problems are due to the legacy of the Harper government. They left organizational chaos in their wake and apparently started using new software that is completely buggy and weird.

It isn't the current government. They are probably working overtime trying to straighten it all out.

I feel for you though. It is crazy and I hope you get some help.

18. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Autumn the software is for Federal employee payroll, not social programs from what I understand. Something is afoot!!

19. Link to Post #13
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

CurEus, Interesting about the direct deposit issue. There seem to be some problems there. I know the system isn't working well. Have seen first hand. You may know much more about it than I do.

I have had to deal with so many bureaucratic things since my husband died-- and almost without exception, most mistakes made were due to people being overworked and under trained. It does seem like a conspiracy to drive you out of your mind though--and when there are child benefits involved, problems need to be given top priority.

It seems to me the govt. is already in austerity mode, anticipating a huge recession. Otherwise they would be hiring and training and things would be getting done.

20. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Also try this:

Canadian Taxpayer Ombudsman:

.As a taxpayer, you have eight service rights, outlined in the Taxpayer Bill of Rights, which govern your relationship with the CRA. The eight service rights include:

the right to be treated professionally, courteously, and fairly (Article 5);
    the right to complete, accurate, clear, and timely information from the CRA (Article 6);
    the right to lodge a service complaint and to be provided with an explanation of the CRA findings (Article 9);
    the right to have the costs of compliance taken into account when tax legislation is administered (Article 10);
    the right to expect the CRA to be accountable (Article 11);
    the right to expect the CRA to publish service standards and report annually (Article 13);
    the right to expect the CRA to warn you about questionable tax schemes in a timely manner (Article 14); and
    the right to be represented by a person of your choice (Article 15).

The Taxpayers' Ombudsman will review complaints where any of these service rights appear not to have been respected by the CRA.

https://www.canada.ca/en/taxpayers-ombudsman.html

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

CurEus (28th June 2017)

22. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    CurEus, Interesting about the direct deposit issue. There seem to be some problems there. I know the system isn't working well. Have seen first hand. You may know much more about it than I do.

I have had to deal with so many bureaucratic things since my husband died-- and almost without exception, most mistakes made were due to people being overworked and under trained. It does seem like a conspiracy to drive you out of your mind though--and when there are child benefits involved, problems need to be given top priority.

It seems to me the govt. is already in austerity mode, anticipating a huge recession. Otherwise they would be hiring and training and things would be getting done.
    My dad died 2 years ago. I had a pretty easy experience with my MP helping with taxes, pensions, CRA etc. No problems getting cheques and disbursements. Headache with hospitals and nursing homes. It is possible their entire payments systems are problematic now....but Provincial programs, welfare, disability payments, medicines etc certainly should not be affected.

23. Link to Post #16
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. The battle continues. However, I feel that I have gained some ground. (difficult to write this now that I am sitting here - the anxiety of the whole situation makes me feel physically sic)

There are 2 things that were suggested in this thread that I have not done - media and ombudsman. We would really prefer not to go to the media because I already feel that I have been targeted 'somehow' and for reasons unknown and I do not want more attention that could come as a result of going to the media. (I am not saying that I am a "targeted individual" as their symptoms are physically felt in their body, but I am wondering if there is something different going on. I should start a thread on this itself.) Also, I am aware that the ombudsman has such a giant workload and I am needing more immediate resolution. Revenue Canada has played the game well in that they are working in accordance to policies set. They fall back on the fact that they are 'working on it' and keeping us informed. They send us letters - although the information within does not give us any confidence or statements that we can use to resolve the issue. They are good at "not" saying anything while they say things to push things off.

The reality (and most of us on this website know this) is that many political positions are created to appease the public but not have any real power. It makes the public "believe" that we have a government that is there to represent us and help us when we need it. So much fluff and not enough substance.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Patient For This Post:

sunflower (8th July 2017)

25. Link to Post #17
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

An update - our efforts have finally resulted in a favourable outcome. Thanks to everyone for the support, feedback and suggestions!

+ Reply to Thread