Thread: The Power of Words

1. Link to Post #21
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 times in 1,632 posts

Default Re: The Power of Words

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Quote Posted by LadyM (here)
    I appreciate your comments. I agree that we do give words the power to affect us individually and collectively -- I don't believe -- at this point -- that words have intrinsic power. I did not mean to imply otherwise. My mind would change with absolute proof that the symbols that we use to create words originated from somewhere outside of this physical reality.
    Now, let me contradict myself.

Words are, in essence, specific vibrations (we term the proper formation of them "enunciation" but in reality it's an attempt to modulate the vibration into a pattern that is recognizable and more precise). Vibration is the "life force" of everything animated, of reality.. were everything not vibrating then all would be still, and "nothingness" as the lack of vibration takes away the ability for reference; and reference is how we define reality (ie: light cannot exist with out shadow etc..).

We can levitate objects with sound, if you know the resonance frequency for a solid object, you can destroy it with vibration (with enough power behind it).

So, how powerless are "words"; truly?

(see, I can even play devils advocate with myself... haha )
    Great point! To add to that: I've cited philosopher/author Andy Clark in other threads. He theorizes that words (public language) are extensions of our minds and that language/text transforms, reshapes and simplifies the "computational tasks that confront the biological brain." He discusses this in his paper Magic Words: How Language Augments Human Computation.

Here is a snippet from the paper:

Word Power

Of course, words aren't magic. Neither are sextants, compasses, maps, slide rules and all the other paraphenelia which have accreted around the basic biological brains of homo sapiens. In the case of these other tools and props, however, it is transparently clear that they function so as to either carry out or to facilitate computational operations important to various human projects. The slide rule transforms complex mathematical problems (ones that would baffle or tax the unaided subject) into simple tasks of perceptual recognition. The map provides geographical information in a format well-suited to aid complex planning and strategic military operations. The compass gathers and displays a kind of information that (most) unaided human subjects do not seem to command. These various tools and props thus act to generate information, or to store it, or to transform it, or some combination of the three. In so doing, they impact our individual and collective problem-solving capacities in much the same dramatic ways as various software packages impact the performance of a simple pc.

Public language, I shall argue, is just such a tool -- it is a species of external artifact whose current adaptive value is partially constituted by its role in re-shaping the kinds of computational space that our biological brains must negotiate in order to solve certain types of problems, or to carry out certain complex projects. This computational role of language has been somewhat neglected (not un-noticed, but not rigorously pursued either) in recent cognitive science, due perhaps to a (quite proper) fascination with and concentration upon, that other obvious dimension: the role of language as an instrument of interpersonal communication. Work on sentence parsing, language use and story understanding has thus concentrated on the role of language in processes of information transfer between agents and on information retrieval from texts. But it has had little to say about the computational role of the linguistic formulations themselves, or about the special properties of the external media that support linguistic encodings.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

gnostic9 (30th June 2017), Sunny-side-up (30th June 2017), TargeT (29th June 2017), william r sanford72 (30th June 2017)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

just as the vibrations from different tones and pitches cause sand to make different patterns, I believe the original language as used by priests send out harmonic effects, Power-Words.
    Our language as been corrupted and has now real connection to our reality and or nature, we don't gel and energise with our words, and the words we use don't have the meaning we think they do.

The real meaning of the slang we use is Occulted away from us, we think we doing good with our prayers when we actually do nothing and or send them to negative demonic targets.

Yes it is our intention and intent of heart and mind that we direct and intend, but it is not connected to the proper harmonic sounds/words of our language as it is, it carry no distance or power. It is therefor not as strong or powerful as we hope, just, add to that if the meaning of our slang is not what we think, then where dose our hi-jacked intention go?

it is the same with our digital music which has square-wave-form and not harmonious, it is slang music.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Sorry, but I don't see it your way, as "spin." I'm not just talking about Emoto. Honestly, I don't even need to do the rice or any experiment to see how negative words impact one's reality, the person speaking the words and the person hearing the words.
    The problem here is that you are approaching the situation as if the words themselves have power.

They do not.

It is how we interpret the words that gives them power, basically, anytime you let words effect you.. you are giving the words the power to effect you; it is essentially your choice.

So yes, "negative" or "positive" (both are spectrum of preference, and not very definable) words have all the power you give them, but none intrinsically.

"Dr" Emoto's should not be mentioned except to point out how NOT to do an experiment.

Don't externalize your power, YOU are the source of these word's effect on you. Own that and you will be happier for it.
    just as the vibrations from different tones and pitches cause sand to make different patterns, I believe the original language as used by priests send out harmonic effects, Power-Words.
    Our language as been corrupted and has now real connection to our reality and or nature, we don't gel and energise with our words, and the words we use don't have the meaning we think they do.

The real meaning of the slang we use is Occulted away from us, we think we doing good with our prayers when we actually do nothing and or send them to negative demonic targets.

Yes it is our intention and intent of heart and mind that we direct and intend, but it is not connected to the proper harmonic sounds/words of our language as it is, it carry no distance or power. It is therefor not as strong or powerful as we hope, just, add to that if the meaning of our slang is not what we think, then where dose our hi-jacked intention go?

it is the same with our digital music which has square-wave-form and not harmonious, it is slang music.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Noelle (30th June 2017), TargeT (30th June 2017)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,169 times in 10,102 posts

"A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger"
    Proverbs 15:1

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Noelle (30th June 2017)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Sunny-side-up (here)
    Chants, Hyms and acoustically tuned churches.... These are "traditions" to us now, but why are they traditions?

Why is the "kings chamber" in the great pyramid acoustically tuned as well?
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Noelle (30th June 2017)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Sorry, but I don't see it your way, as "spin." I'm not just talking about Emoto. Honestly, I don't even need to do the rice or any experiment to see how negative words impact one's reality, the person speaking the words and the person hearing the words.
    The problem here is that you are approaching the situation as if the words themselves have power.

They do not.

It is how we interpret the words that gives them power, basically, anytime you let words effect you.. you are giving the words the power to effect you; it is essentially your choice.

So yes, "negative" or "positive" (both are spectrum of preference, and not very definable) words have all the power you give them, but none intrinsically.

"Dr" Emoto's should not be mentioned except to point out how NOT to do an experiment.

Don't externalize your power, YOU are the source of these word's effect on you. Own that and you will be happier for it.

Thanks for bringing that up. I wanted to go there in a post, but I do not yet have an adequate understanding of how our focus/intent is hijacked through all of the often many known meanings and esoteric meanings infused in words.

10. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Chants, Hyms and acoustically tuned churches.... These are "traditions" to us now, but why are they traditions?

Why is the "kings chamber" in the great pyramid acoustically tuned as well?
    Interesting article and good question. The author states, "reverberation plays an important function in churches today, to enhance one's sense of connection with spirit and to optimize the choir and organ performance." There must be more to it than that.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Shannon (30th June 2017), TargeT (30th June 2017)

12. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Interesting article and good question. The author states, "reverberation plays an important function in churches today, to enhance one's sense of connection with spirit and to optimize the choir and organ performance." There must be more to it than that.
    Undoubtedly more to it than that.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Noelle (30th June 2017), Shannon (30th June 2017)

14. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Undoubtedly more to it than that.
    The cymatics experiment highlighted in the article is fascinating. Has anyone else done similar research?

The interaction between the acoustic field, the resonance of the quartz particles embedded in the granite and the inherent resonances of the quartz sand grains is an immensely complex one. However, the patterns that form are essentially harmonic and in studying the hieroglyphic-like cymatic forms I was persuaded that these too are essentially harmonic, the result of naturally occurring geometries within the crystals released during acoustic excitation of the sarcophagus. Consider that during the fashioning of granite in a craftsmen"s workshop the stone would ring like a bell with every strike of the hammer. The resulting sound field patterns would radiate away and manifest (invisibly) on all the membranes of the worker"s bodies, their skin, eyes and on every cell. It seems possible that scribe-priests would have been present during at least some of the work, perhaps to check on progress, and they too would have been influenced, albeit subliminally. It may not be a coincidence, then, that the earliest evidence of granite working in Egypt (circa 3,900 BCE) occurred at around the same time that Egyptologists date the emergence of hieroglyphic writing, both are thought to have occurred at ancient Nekhen. It seems easily possible, therefore, that the birth of the Egyptian written language and their working of granite are inextricably linked.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Shannon (30th June 2017), TargeT (30th June 2017)

16. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,040 times in 911 posts

The personal experiences of living, alive with emotional content and heartfelt intent, to me, do not live in the dimensionally limited, constructed world of words. Sure there is the effect of words to consider, both inspiring and depressing, negative and positive, truthful and dishonest. Regaining life without the confines of words is one of the beginnings of living without those extreme limitations to experience. Of course if one is dependent on being so limited there are few words that can provide a release from them.

(I was originally going to add a little to the active thread "Is Meditation Demonic" but saw such truth in the words of others that I saw no need. My experience is that life, by it's true, factual nature is a meditation in itself. The act of releasing the shackles of words that echo within the immense entrainment of humans is a very pure activity, quite anti-control, anti-"demonic" some, not me, would say.)

Words are non-sentient in origin and not inherently connected to the soul, which in it's infinite being is non-local, set in the temporal world of a local dream.

For all of the harm that words have done, for all of the attention that words have diverted from the truths of your right to experience the challenges of the true nature of being, I am often drawn away from them, knowing that even truthful, honest, inspiring words may take away from your own time nurturing and engaging in deep, dynamic experiences.

We know that vibration can shatter a thin glass. Most of us have seen this. We also have hinted that vibration can lift the large, heavy objects of ancient structures. Deep science has quantified the vibrations that can destroy human tissue with microwave frequencies. Rife proved that frequency can specifically heal certain illnesses.

What has been lost to the vast plane of human awareness is the power of the tonal vibratory effect of the healing constructs of sound, those things once called sacred, those things lost in the powerless prayers given by those of greater knowledge and shallow hearts, those who have preyed on humans for so long. Many liberations live within the power of your personal experiences in the silence that teaches the truth. Soonee-eh Deep....Listening Deep....
    Last edited by Hym; 30th June 2017 at 20:22.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Noelle (30th June 2017), Shannon (30th June 2017)

18. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hym (here)
    The personal experiences of living, alive with emotional content and heartfelt intent, to me, do not live in the dimensionally limited, constructed world of words. Sure there is the effect of words to consider, both inspiring and depressing, negative and positive, truthful and dishonest. Regaining life without the confines of words is one of the beginnings of living without those extreme limitations to experience. Of course if one is dependent on being so limited there are few words that can provide a release from them.

(I was originally going to add a little to the active thread "Is Meditation Demonic" but saw such truth in the words of others that I saw no need. My experience is that life, by it's true, factual nature is a meditation in itself. The act of releasing the shackles of words that echo within the immense entrainment of humans is a very pure activity, quite anti-control, anti-"demonic" some, not me, would say.)

Words are non-sentient in origin and not inherently connected to the soul, which in it's infinite being is non-local, set in the temporal world of a local dream.

For all of the harm that words have done, for all of the attention that words have diverted from the truths of your right to experience the challenges of the true nature of being, I am often drawn away from them, knowing that even truthful, honest, inspiring words may take away from your own time nurturing and engaging in deep, dynamic experiences.

We know that vibration can shatter a thin glass. Most of us have seen this. We also have hinted that vibration can lift the large, heavy objects of ancient structures. Deep science has quantified the vibrations that can destroy human tissue with microwave frequencies. Rife proved that frequency can specifically heal certain illnesses.

What has been lost to the vast plane of human awareness is the power of the tonal vibratory effect of the healing constructs of sound, those things once called sacred, those things lost in the powerless prayers given by those of greater knowledge and shallow hearts, those who have preyed on humans for so long. Many liberations live within the power of your personal experiences in the silence that teaches the truth. Soonee-eh Deep....
    Thank you, Hym. You've given me much to think about. It's difficult, though I know not impossible, for me to imagine (or remember) existing without words, when I would say 95+ percent of what I communicate and what others communicate to me is in words. Most of my thoughts are in words. I even use words when I am out of body, although fewer than I would use while in body.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Hym (30th June 2017), Shannon (30th June 2017)

20. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

I actively sit and listen to hear the things that are not words, for I know that my definition of anything is not that thing in it's full creative, living expression, especially my experience itself. Maybe, because of the seeming neutrality of the time without words, some of my expressions may be more useful.

I do not fight those things that appear in the quiet, those words even, but I do separate my sometimes necessary evaluation of my day from allowing the processes of the body, with all of the interconnected subtleties, and it's awarenesses to communicate with the whole, which at times finds extension outside of local awareness.

It's funny, but the experience doesn't have so many words in it, if any at all.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Noelle (30th June 2017)

22. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

I actively sit and listen to hear the things that are not words, for I know that my definition of anything is not that thing in it's full creative, living expression, especially my experience itself. Maybe, because of the seeming neutrality of the time without words, some of my expressions may be more useful.

I do not fight those things that appear in the quiet, those words even, but I do separate my sometimes necessary evaluation of my day from allowing the processes of the body, with all of the interconnected subtleties, and it's awarenesses to communicate with the whole, which at times finds extension outside of local awareness.

It's funny, but the experience doesn't have so many words in it, if any at all.
    Put that way, yes, I think it's something that I can do, "sit and listen to hear the things that are not words." I may even do it sometimes already. When I go on my daily walks, I often practice quieting the "monkey mind," which for me is almost always in words too. I try to focus on what I am experiencing in nature: the sky and clouds, the trees, and the "wordless" non-humans that I pass. Sometimes I just focus on my breathing. The monkey mind is hard to fight -- sometimes I can get to 5 minutes, other times 15 to 20 minutes, but they are generally word-free moments for me.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Hym (30th June 2017)

24. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

Back to the power of words....Do I ever not get off topic???? Maybe I should change my avatar to Tangential Leanings.

In mentioning the tonal I meant those things closer to the essence of how we speak the words we use and what that means in a fuller sense, those understandings most easily quantified by the art of Tibetan Pulsation, which attributes, in great detail, the emotional, vibrational, interactive and bodily sensitive markers of every two week period in a year and heard in the speech of humans.

As a note of clarity...
    I have spent some time experiencing those tonal applications of "sacred" prayers, chants, and the listening that follows. However I do not consider them any more powerful than the truths we share or express with each other, as in the power of a whispered I Love You.

Sacredness is intent with words, with or without the knowledge of their meaning or practice, as with someone like me who has translated, transliterated (for novices and those who mistakenly practiced them incorrectly) and enjoyably practiced a variety of sacred prayers from a divergent number of traditions. I too had to remove any thought or expectation from their practice, their song, especially knowing their historical context, as these descriptions rarely informed me of the experience.

I do notice that so many of those word-based communication "prayer"systems have been so heavily manipulated and filled with promises of their effects that few have been able to enjoy them on their own, simply for what they are and what they are not. That's a shame, because some have great resonance in the human experience. In many systems, specific sounds, thus the vibrations from making the sound do, also in my experiences, affect certain organs in the body.

How very far afield those methods have been lost, specifically in regards to scientific scrutiny, something that should be encouraged. I do see that any objective results would not fit into some teacher's, some priest's, some "authority" figure's plans. Good. They were not created for teachers.

25. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Back to the power of words....Do I ever not get off topic???? Maybe I should change my avatar to Tangential Leanings.

In mentioning the tonal I meant those things closer to the essence of how we speak the words we use and what that means in a fuller sense, those understandings most easily quantified by the art of Tibetan Pulsation, which attributes, in great detail, the emotional, vibrational, interactive and bodily sensitive markers of every two week period in a year and heard in the speech of humans.

As a note of clarity...
    I have spent some time experiencing those tonal applications of "sacred" prayers, chants, and the listening that follows. However I do not consider them any more powerful than the truths we share or express with each other, as in the power of a whispered I Love You.

Sacredness is intent with words, with or without the knowledge of their meaning or practice, as with someone like me who has translated, transliterated (for novices and those who mistakenly practiced them incorrectly) and enjoyably practiced a variety of sacred prayers from a divergent number of traditions. I too had to remove any thought or expectation from their practice, their song, especially knowing their historical context, as these descriptions rarely informed me of the experience.

I do notice that so many of those word-based communication "prayer"systems have been so heavily manipulated and filled with promises of their effects that few have been able to enjoy them on their own, simply for what they are and what they are not. That's a shame, because some have great resonance in the human experience. In many systems, specific sounds, thus the vibrations from making the sound do, also in my experiences, affect certain organs in the body.

How very far afield those methods have been lost, specifically in regards to scientific scrutiny, something that should be encouraged. I do see that any objective results would not fit into some teacher's, some priest's, some "authority" figure's plans. Good. They were not created for teachers.
    No worries. We did not stray far at all from the topic.

Thank you for clarifying. I am not that familiar with Tibetan Pulsation, but I would like to learn more about it.

With or without attention from the scientific community, it seems that more and more of those who need healing, bodily or spiritual, are turning to sound/vibration healing. So maybe what's been lost will return.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Hym (1st July 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2