+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Astral Travel/Out of Body Experience Tactics and Tips

1. Link to Post #1
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 times in 1,632 posts

Default Astral Travel/Out of Body Experience Tactics and Tips

Since joining Avalon, I have been asked by members, usually via PMs, to provide tips on astral travel / out of body experiences, which I have very gladly done. I think it’s important that as many people as possible explore this aspect of ourselves – so, I am always eager to help. A few days ago, a couple of members suggested that I start a thread to make what I have learned through my experiences and from the literature that I have read accessible to all members. And here I am. I have a lot of resources to pull from: my journal; a PowerPoint presentation that I put together last year, which is largely based on my own experiences; and some articles that I have written.

But I don’t want this thread to be all about me. Anyone following my posts can share their successes and challenges. Please feel free to ask questions too on any astral travel topic. If I don’t have the answer, I have a large library of books that I can search.

I will start with a brief account of my first OBE, which was spontaneous. Beneath that is copy from two sections of my presentation: Quieting the Monkey Mind and Leaving the Body—Signs and Symptoms.

My First Conscious OBE

On a February morning in 2006, I awoke as I typically did—to the meows of my hungry cat. I climbed out of the bed, ever so careful to not disturb my sleeping husband, and went to exit the bedroom and close the door behind me.

As I stood in the doorway and looked back at my husband’s snoring form, a memory popped into my mind. It was of me hovering over the bed and waving my arms to get my husband’s attention. “Look at me. I am flying,” I remembered saying twice as I floated near the ceiling.

“Was that a dream?” I wondered after I shut the door and descended the stairs. It was too clear and real to be a “dream,” perhaps even more real than any that I had experienced before.

As I drank my coffee on the patio that morning, I recorded the experience in a writing tablet, which triggered more memories. I remembered taking bouncy steps—as if walking on the moon—down our home’s stairs and through the dining room and living room.

Presentation Copy

Focus—Quieting the Monkey Mind

One of the biggest challenges of having an OBE is “monkey mind”—random thoughts that seem to come out of nowhere. This was something that I learned quickly when I started to learn how to self-initiate them. If you meditate regularly, you know what I am talking about. I think most of us experience Monkey Mind when we go to sleep at night; they can make falling asleep difficult.

What is “monkey mind?”

• Buddhist term meaning "unsettled; restless; capricious; whimsical; fanciful; inconstant; confused; indecisive; uncontrollable” (Wikipedia)
    • Mental clutter
    • Distracting or racing thoughts

Causes of Monkey Mind

• Unfinished tasks (mental to-do lists), yet-to-be-made decisions, and unresolved problems
    • Information overload and interference—TV, Internet/social media, video games, mobile phones

How to Quiet Monkey Mind

• Be aware of it.
    • Take care of those unfinished tasks and unmade decisions.
    • Reduce or eliminate other mental clutter and interferences (i.e., TV, Internet, video games, etc.).
    • Put that mental to-do list on paper. Off-load it!
    • Tell your mind: “Be quiet!” or “Calm down.”
    • Deep breath; focus on breathing and counting.
    • Deep breath with the affirmation “I am peaceful.”
    • Practice calming your mind as you go about your daily routine.

Leaving the Body: Signs and Symptoms

Mind Awake, Body Asleep

• Your mind is alert; you are aware of your state.
    • Your body seems paralyzed or feels heavy.
    • Robert Monroe called it Focus 10—the first step toward separating mind and body.

Vibrations

Vibrations are not a physically detectable phenomenon.

Possible explanations of pre-OBE vibrations:

• Transition from the Physical Plane to the Astral Plane, which vibrates at a higher frequency
    • The generation or separation of the astral double

Vibrations often begin in the head region but usually spread.

• Rapid or slow
    • Strong or gentle

Visual Signs (seen with eyes closed or with third eye)

• Colors in motion—swirls, streams and other patterns
    • Geometric patterns
    • Sparks—green and white
    • Images—faces, structures, scenery
    • Hand reaching down to help you out
    • Your physical surroundings—wall, ceiling, pillow fabric

Sounds

• Your heart beat (sounds far away)
    • Popping, sometimes it sounds like a gunshot
    • Buzzing, humming or ringing
    • Rumbling or roaring
    • Chimes
    • Voices

Other Signs

• Tingling
    • Energetic or charged
    • Burning feeling in chest
    • Head feels heavy
    • Sinking feeling
    Last edited by Noelle; 10th July 2017 at 19:25.

2. The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

42 (9th July 2017), amandapoet (10th July 2017), b3aut1fuldr3am3r (10th July 2017), Baby Steps (24th July 2017), betoobig (10th July 2017), Blacklight43 (10th July 2017), bojancan (1st August 2017), camper (13th August 2017), Chester (1st August 2017), Cidersomerset (10th July 2017), Craig (10th July 2017), Daozen (24th July 2017), drneglector (24th July 2017), EFO (10th July 2017), gaiagirl (1st August 2017), Icare (10th September 2017), Inversion (1st August 2017), Jad (10th July 2017), Jake (24th July 2017), Libico (10th July 2017), mab777 (10th July 2017), Mart (10th July 2017), Mercedes (10th July 2017), Miller (28th June 2023), neutronstar (9th July 2017), onevoice (9th March 2018), Orph (9th July 2017), pabranno (1st August 2017), Rosco1 (24th July 2017), Spellbound (10th August 2017), StandingWave (14th July 2017), Star Tsar (28th July 2017), starlight (9th July 2017), sunwings (10th July 2017), Tintin (6th March 2018), toppy (10th July 2017), uzn (8th August 2017), Varden (3rd January 2018), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018), Virilis (10th July 2017), WhiteLove (10th July 2017), Zampano (10th July 2017), ZenBaller (6th March 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Astral Travel/Out of Body Experience Tactics and Tips

Here is some more how-to content from my presentation. In addition to the tips at the top, I take you through what I do to initiate an OBE: relaxation breathing and affirmations.

Some Things to DO and NOT to do Before Attempting to Initiate an OBE

• Don’t eat a big meal—in fact, fasting the whole day or five or six hours before attempting an OBE can be helpful.
    • Don’t drink a lot of fluids of any kind 1 to 3 hours before—the need to empty the bladder is one of the most common OBE enders.
    • Wear loose clothes made of non-irritating fabrics.
    • Turn off or hide your phone so that you can’t hear it.
    • Eliminate any other noises that may distract; the same goes for lights.
    • Do empty your bladder—same reason as above.

Getting into Position for an OBE

I’ve had an OBE in just about every position that I can sleep in—on my back, on my stomach, or fetal. The position that I’ve had the most success with is laying on my back.

• Lay flat on back.
    • Pillow should comfortably support your neck and head. Sometimes no pillow works.
    • Lay arms flat at the side, palms down; roll hands into loose fists and lay across chest; or place hands across abdomen.

Relaxation Breathing and Affirmations

This is the primary method that I use. It’s simple, as the process should be. But there are several other techniques described in books, many that make use of visualization. The only other method that I have tried—with success— is called “phasing,” which I will cover in the next post. If you can’t wait, you can learn more about it here.

Relaxation Breathing

• Using diaphragm, inhale 4 secs., hold 4 sec. and exhale for 4 secs. (You can replace 4 secs. with 5 or 6 secs., whatever works best for you.)
    • Focus on breathing and counting for 15 to 20 sets.
    • Keep body still — arms at sides (flat) or lay over chest or abdomen.

Affirmations (Focusing Intent)

Author William Buhlman discusses affirmations in his book Adventures Beyond the Body. They work for me. You can create your own, but try to keep them short and in the imperative (command) tense.

You can begin using your inner voice to say the affirmations when you are relaxed and free of monkey mind; or if you get to the mind awake/body asleep state fast, you can start saying them then.

Affirmations that I use

-Go out of body.
    -Go to (a specific person).
    -Go to a past life.
    -Remember experience. (I almost always use this)

If you find yourself getting nowhere:

• Ask for help out from a spirit guide or helper/astral traveler.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

42 (13th July 2017), bojancan (1st August 2017), Chester (1st August 2017), drneglector (24th July 2017), gaiagirl (1st August 2017), Jake (24th July 2017), Orph (13th July 2017), pabranno (1st August 2017), Spellbound (10th August 2017), StandingWave (14th July 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018), Virilis (15th July 2017), WhiteLove (18th July 2017), ZenBaller (6th March 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Reality Checks

Robert Bruce discusses reality checks in his book Astral Dynamics (available in Avalon’s library). Reality checking while in the waking consciousness phase several times daily can prepare you for reality checking when in another phase of being, which helps in achieving lucidity.

Reality Checks

Look at your hands.
    Press your hand against a wall or door in your home.
    Touch the leaves of a bush or tree in your yard as you walk by it.
    Look up at the sky and using inner dialog tell yourself to “float up.”

Phasing

Here is another method used to have an out of body experience. I tried it only once, and it worked. Most of the information below is from a page on Astral Pulse forum, titled the Frank Kepple Resource.

The word “phasing” has its roots in Robert Monroe’s work. Monroe had identified many “phases” of consciousness, and he gave each phase a random number (so don’t try to make any sense of the numbers). In Monroe’s view, we don’t “leave” our bodies; rather, we change our phase of consciousness, much like we can change the station on a TV or radio. We can tune out of this physical reality and tune into other realities.

Here are some of the phases that Monroe identified (the complete list can be found at The Monroe Institute’s UK site):

Focus 1: Waking consciousness; in sync with physical reality.
    Focus 10: “Mind awake, body asleep.”
    Focus 12: Expanded awareness, while body still in a deep sleep.
    Focus 15: A state of No-Time. Consciousness is far removed from physical body signals.
    Focus 21: The edge of perception of the time/space continuum. Mind remains fully conscious and active.
    Focus Levels 24 to 26: “Belief System Territories,” and include the afterlife areas of the major religions.
    Focus 27: The edge of human thought capacity. The site of a way-station (not a terminus) for rest and recovery from the trauma of physical death.
    Focus 34/35: The area of the Gathering. Beings from many other locations within the physical universe are gathered here to witness the upcoming Earth Changes.

How to do Phasing

Phasing involves “initiating a 180-degree phase shift between the physical and the non-physical realms of reality. … Phasing does not incorporate any kind of out of body feelings at all. The normal bodily vehicle can remain and all that changes is a person’s environment.”

Tune out of the physical dimension.

Relax (relaxation breathing), close your eyes and start “noticing” what you see. (If you get distracted by a noise or an itch, take care of it and go back to the breathing and “noticing.” The idea here is to tune out of the physical as much as possible – noise, light, bodily requirements will keep your focus in the physical.)

What you might experience as you are “noticing,” in Kepple’s words:

Blackness. But then, after a short while, I may see that perhaps one part of the blackness is not quite so black. Perhaps there was just a brief flash of something, then maybe a sensation of a movement somewhere else. Maybe I just heard someone call my name. Hmm, that’s interesting, I might think, I wonder where that came from. But I don’t get too curious I just keep noticing. I might see swirling areas of not quite so black as the rest. I might see flashes of this and that. As I am offering myself these images, my attention is steadily becoming more fixated within.

As my attention becomes fixated within, from the act of noticing, at this stage I am not aware of my physical body. Part of my awareness realises that somewhere in the background is a physical body, in bed, etc. but I have phased away from it. … I continue to notice anything that may come about. I’m not all that curious, I’m not trying to make anything happen, I’m not enacting some kind of method or technique, I’m simply looking within and noticing what is taking place, and the act of doing that is focusing my attention.

Tune into another dimension.

As a person focuses their attention within themselves, through the action of noticing, they allow themselves to view “snippets” of other dimensions of reality. This action is translated objectively as the perception of flashes of all manner of this and that, random images that come and go, all kinds of spurious sounds, and so forth. Sometimes these snippets can form what I call 'astral screens' where you objectively perceive something similar to a cinema screen effect in front of your non-physical field of vision, complete with moving images and sounds. What is happening is that you are objectively offering yourself snippets of other dimensions of reality. If you then decide to step into these scenes, you will find yourself in that 'location', within that particular region of consciousness.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

bojancan (1st August 2017), Chester (1st August 2017), gaiagirl (1st August 2017), Jake (24th July 2017), Orph (18th July 2017), pabranno (1st August 2017), Rich (10th August 2017), Spellbound (10th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018), WhiteLove (18th July 2017), ZenBaller (6th March 2018)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Astral Traveler Gear

Astral traveling may not be a sport or a hobby; but for some, it requires some gear, tools for getting out of body, remembering and understanding their experiences, and getting out again and again.

1. Books. Books, print or digital, are vital to opening the mind and expanding one’s awareness of out of body experiences. Through books, veteran astral travelers share their knowledge and experiences, which includes what works and doesn’t work, what to expect before and after leaving the body, and all sorts of other valuable insights that they have figured out via research or trial and error.

2. Loose Clothes. When attempting to astral project, you never want to wear tight clothes. Tight clothes cause bodily discomfort. They can be distracting when trying to leave the body or, if you manage to project, they can shorten your experience. Your focus needs to be completely on tuning into the astral, not on the physical.

3. Journal. Regardless of the type of recording tool you prefer, paper and pen, audio, video, or a word-processing program, recording your experiences is crucial to preserving and making sense of what you experienced. Journals also can serve as astral experience-planning tools, a way to focus your intent on not only having an experience, but also on what specifically you want to achieve in an experience (i.e., experience a past life, visit a loved one who still exists in the physical world or has transitioned, etc.).

4. Sleeping Mask. As mentioned above, your focus needs to be totally aimed at the astral. Light within or outside of your home that you have no control over can distract and may prevent you from leaving your body. A sleeping mask can take care of that problem. When purchasing a sleeping mask, opt for comfort not looks.

5. Ear Plugs. Noises can make getting out of body difficult and blow an experience. If your environment is noisy—if you live in a city, share your home with people or pets, or have noisy neighbors—earplugs will block most, if not all, of the sound interruptions. But you may find that earplugs are not comfortable. If so, lay on your side with one ear pressed against your primary pillow and place a second pillow over your head to cover the other ear.

6. CDs. A lot of astral travelers rely on audio tools, such as binaural beats and Hemi-Sync, to relax and reach that “mind awake, body asleep” phase of consciousness, which is vital when consciously projecting. Others turn to guided-inducement CD products, like The Monroe Institute’s Gateway Experience.

7. Headphones. Astral travelers who use audio tools need quality headphones, the traditional variety that covers the entire ear (not earbuds). They should have noise cancellation, be extremely comfortable (lightweight and fit without irritation), and be durable (so you don’t have to buy a new set every six months).

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Chester (1st August 2017), Daozen (24th July 2017), gaiagirl (1st August 2017), Jake (24th July 2017), Orph (29th July 2017), pabranno (1st August 2017), Spellbound (10th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Mak1 sent me the following message via PM. He wanted me to post the questions that he had and my responses to them in this thread.

Hi LadyM.

Regarding OBE, I have some questions about the nature of OBE or AP, and you may post them in the thread if you wish, because they may seem materialistic, crazy or stupid to public, Because you've experience it so much , I want to know about it from your experiences, better than books.

1- Is OBE so real that you can confirm it by having OBE out of the house and memories the license plate numbers of your neighbor's car and confirm it physically later on?
    2- Can OBE be controlled so you and your mate have an OBE experiences and get together on an astral level? or you decide to show up in his dream and tell him a message?
    3- Can an astral traveler go into deep earth and locate gold deposits ?

I may have more weird questions

Here are my responses.

1. I consider my OBEs as "real" experiences. I would say most people who have them would describe them as "real" too. In fact, when I am out of my body, what I experience is usually ultra-lucid. People who have had near death experiences report the same increased lucidity.

I used to do experiments with my sister, who lives about an hour south of me, and my mother, who lives about 1,000 miles north of me. My sister would leave a flash card with a short word on it in a specific location, and my mother would wear a shirt of a certain color. Although for a variety of reasons I was not able to confirm through those targets, I was able to confirm being there by other means.

As an example, my mother used to work in the tech support department of a hospital. She worked the midnight shift. One night I got of body and immediately commanded myself to go to my mother. I thought she was home because it was her day off. At the speed of thought, I found myself looking through what seemed like a window and could see my mother washing dishes. My OBE occurred between 2-3 am. When I returned to the physical, I recorded the experience, thinking it strange that she was up at that hour washing dishes. So I phoned her in the morning and asked if she was indeed washing dishes at that hour. To my surprise, she said she was called into work unexpectedly and was washing out her department's coffee pot and coffee cups in one of the hospital bathrooms in that time frame. It could be what I perceived as a window was actually the mirror over the sink that she was washing the dishes in.

2. I have never participated in any team or group OBE, but I have read about others successfully having that kind of experience. I believe some people who attended training at the Monroe Institute have reported group experiences.

3. I have read that astral travelers can travel through the interiors of mountains and the oceans and seas. I'm not sure if anyone in the out of body phase would be able to discover gold deposits or other resources in the planet's interior. From what I understand -- and it does make some sense to me -- that when we are out of body, we are not in the physical dimension at all. When we explore the planet or visit friends and relatives who are in the physical world, we are in a dimension (or frequency) that is very close to the physical but not quite in it. What you see in the astral may not be an exact reflection of what is there in the physical. I think this could explain, in part, why it can be hard to confirm what is observed while out of body.

Feel free to send me questions any time. Nothing is weird when it comes to this stuff. :>)

m

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Chester (1st August 2017), gaiagirl (1st August 2017), Jake (24th July 2017), Orph (29th July 2017), Spellbound (10th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

In a thread TinFoilSuit posted today, I mentioned a possible correlation between low blood pressure and increased ability to leave the body. A theory by Mario Fernandez, called The Polar Molecule Movement Theory, addresses this correlation. Anyone who struggles to have an OBE should read it (it's just a few paragraphs).

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Chester (1st August 2017), Foxie Loxie (28th July 2017), gaiagirl (2nd August 2017), Orph (29th July 2017), Spellbound (10th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,409 times in 838 posts

Geeeeeeze. That website you linked to in the above post (Astralvoyages.com), has a ton of info. Thanks.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Chester (1st August 2017), Noelle (1st August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Orph (here)
    Geeeeeeze. That website you linked to in the above post (Astralvoyages.com), has a ton of info. Thanks.
    You'll find a lot more info in the following forums:

Astral Pulse
    http://www.astralpulse.com
    Astral Pulse is one of the top online forum for astral explorers, beginners and veterans. It’s one of the largest and longest running.

Astral Dynamics Down-Under Community
    http://www.astraldynamics.com.au/forum.php
    This forum is owned and operated by Robert Bruce, author of Astral Dynamics.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Chester (1st August 2017), gaiagirl (2nd August 2017), Spellbound (10th August 2017), sunwings (1st August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018), Whiskey_Mystic (1st August 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Here are two short pieces that I wrote: One on essential oils and the other on crystals and stones. Although I do not use either to astral project, I know that others do. Please use the information below as a baseline only. Do your research to understand how to properly use crystals and essential oils.

Essential Oils for Astral Travelers

Astral travelers have long used essential oils to help protect and leave their bodies. But these plant-derived oils should not be viewed as magic potions. As occultists Melita Denning and Osborne Phillips point out in their The Llewellyn Practical Guide to Astral Projection, essential oils are just aids: “These aids are not essential, and they ought never to be considered as essential, but they can communicate very swiftly with the lower self.”

It is important to note that anyone considering adding essential oils to their astral travel routine should learn how to use them. Some oils, in fact, can be toxic if ingested or applied to the skin.

Benzoin In Diary of Ancient Rites, A Guide For The Serious Practitioner, Melissa Anderson writes that benzoin can awaken the conscious mind and aid in astral projection.

Cistus (labdanum) In Cultivation and Utilization of Aromatic Plants, H. Panda describes the effects of cistus as “emotionally elevating and grounding” and that it “improves meditation and … raises consciousness.”

Frankincense Typically mixed with myrrh, Frankincense “makes one more aware of the spiritual realms … [it] releases the conscious mind’s control over the subconscious mind,” according to A Witch's Travel Guide to Astral Realms by D. J. Conway.

Jasmine Sandra Kynes writes in Essential Oils for Magic: Aromatic Alchemy for Personal Blends that jasmine protects the physical body while the spiritual body is exploring the astral world.

Mugwort To aid in projecting, Rachel Patterson, author of A Kitchen Witch's World of Magical Herbs & Plants, suggests placing a bundle of mugwort under your pillow. Also, some astral travelers insist that drinking mugwort tea can help induce lucid dreams and out of body experiences and may extend an experience.

Myrrh When used properly, the resin extracted from this plant may enhance post-out of body experience memory recall.

Sandalwood Often available in incense format, sandalwood oil is known to facilitate lucid dreams and astral travel. It is also used for protection.

Crystals and Stones for Astral Travelers

Many astral explorers use crystals and gemstones. They often go to sleep with them held close to their bodies (touching their skin). But not just any stone will do.

About 200 varieties of crystal and gemstones have been identified. Because they differ in composition and color, they differ in vibrational frequencies. And because they vary in frequency, the effect that each may have varies. For instance, certain crystals and gemstones may have healing power for specific ailments, while others may enhance mental focus. So, astral travelers work with those that resonate with their specific objectives and goals.

Amethyst Amethyst can raise your vibration and protect your spiritual body while it is out and about in the astral world. Mitchell Coombes, in his Sensing Spirit, writes that amethyst is one of the most powerful of the protection stones, that its “high vibration frequency forms a natural barrier against low vibration and negative energies.”

Apophyllite It grounds the physical body during an out of body experience and aids in remembering an experience. It also activates the third (pineal) eye and may open channels to beings in the astral world, such as spirit guides.

Astrophyllite Having a high vibration, astrophyllite activates the chakras and provides spiritual protection. In her Crystal Skulls: Ancient Tools for Peace, Knowledge, and Enlightenment, Judy Hall describes it as a “stone that reaches the stars and accesses the limitless potential of your soul.”

Black Tourmaline Often combined with other stones, black tourmaline grounds the spirit and protects the body during astral projection. It can be obtained in various sizes, from pebbles to wands.

Crystal (Clear Quartz) Another powerful stone, crystal (clear quartz) enhances concentration and raises vibrations. It also offers spiritual protection.

Moldavite In their The Book of Stones, Revised Edition: Who They Are and What They Teach, Robert Simmons and Naisha Ahsian say moldavite is a high frequency stone that “banishes negative entities and makes resonance with lower astral energies impossible.” Others claim it helps facilitate an out of body experience.

Iolite According to Witchopedia: An A to Z Book of Shadows (Naddya Foxfire), iolite resonates with the third eye chakra, or the brow chakra. Also, as many astral explorers insist, this stone can extend the duration of an out of body experience. Depending on which minerals are in its veins, an iolite specimen’s color can range from black-purple to nearly transparent.

It is important to keep in mind that crystals and gemstones are simply tools, or aids. In other words, they should supplement, not replace, super-focused intent and loads of patience—your very own magic and the only real requirement for a self-induced out of body experience. Without the intent and patience, tools are rarely effective. Also, consider buying a book or reading articles that explain the various properties of crystals and gemstones along with how to clean and charge them, how to attune to them, and where to place them.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

gaiagirl (5th August 2017), Orph (3rd August 2017), shaberon (5th August 2017), Spellbound (10th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,506 times in 4,009 posts

Now this is interesting, in that there are a minority of people born with the ability, but it is really accessible to anyone.

Two of the "classics" that helped me, being straightforward without any grandiose promises, were _The Art of Astral Projection by Ophiel, and _The Astral World by Swami Panchadasi.

I think it is totally true that there are various levels to the astral plane. One being the "blueprint" for the physical word--visually identical--this is how you would verify license plates, or things that "actually happened". This astral body has nerves, blood, and so forth, same as the physical body. This level of projection is not really desirable.

The "upper" level if you will, only consists of thought. It doesn't operate on a "permanent" astral body--one's form only exists when projected. Operation at this level is much more desirable.

It seems to me that most things in a modern, "first world" existence are quite fatal to astral functioning. Like in my case, I'm much more familiar with riding in a car, and I believe that times that would otherwise be projections, are reduced to being in a car, because I make the subconscious association immediately. Perhaps bungee jumpers have it made with respect to that.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

gaiagirl (5th August 2017), Noelle (5th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by shaberon (here)
    Now this is interesting, in that there are a minority of people born with the ability, but it is really accessible to anyone.

Two of the "classics" that helped me, being straightforward without any grandiose promises, were _The Art of Astral Projection by Ophiel, and _The Astral World by Swami Panchadasi.

I think it is totally true that there are various levels to the astral plane. One being the "blueprint" for the physical word--visually identical--this is how you would verify license plates, or things that "actually happened". This astral body has nerves, blood, and so forth, same as the physical body. This level of projection is not really desirable.

The "upper" level if you will, only consists of thought. It doesn't operate on a "permanent" astral body--one's form only exists when projected. Operation at this level is much more desirable.

It seems to me that most things in a modern, "first world" existence are quite fatal to astral functioning. Like in my case, I'm much more familiar with riding in a car, and I believe that times that would otherwise be projections, are reduced to being in a car, because I make the subconscious association immediately. Perhaps bungee jumpers have it made with respect to that.
    Not only do I believe that we all have the ability, but we are all doing it. Most people are just not conscious of it.

From what I have learned, and this would be the more traditional view of the planes of existence (i.e., Theosophy), there are seven planes, with the physical being the thinnest, densest and outermost. The astral would be the next plane up or in, however you want to put it. There is some overlapping between the planes; the lowest of the astral's sub-planes overlap with the highest sub-planes of the physical plane. Where these two planes overlap may be what is known as the real time zone, or the local astral, a phase in which our astral bodies are at their densest.

On two occasions while in the local astral (two separate experiences that were months apart), I went into the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror and each time saw something different. The first time I saw my face, as it looks in the physical, but it was sparkly. The second time I looked I, again, saw my face, but it was a glowing, milky white. When I am not in the local astral, I am usually not aware of my form or I don't remember being aware of it. Once I traveled to an earth-like planet. While hovering over it, I looked at my hand, and it like melted away.

The traditional view also suggests that everything in the physical has a counterpart in the astral; though if this is true, then it seems to me more than likely that the physical is a copy, not the original. The astral would contain the mold or, as you put it, would be the blueprint.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

gaiagirl (5th August 2017), shaberon (5th August 2017), Spellbound (10th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,506 times in 4,009 posts

Yes, exactly right: most people are not conscious of it. This change in consciousness, is one of the primary motivations in my life.

Accordingly, I am a pretty staunch Theosophist, as this is what entails the Truth. So, the astral world per se is the next one to the physical world, but it it *not* an etheric world/part of the physical world as some teach. It is a unique plane, having its own sphere of consciousness and set of senses.

"Astral" is a Greek term, implying self-luminous, starry light. No arguments there.

No planes are "separate", but are connnected by a laya-point or a zero-point, wherein matter may shift from one to the other. Consciousness is more complex, but a mere physical atom does not even exist until punted out of the astral. Yes, the physical world is almost nothing. Absolutely nothing forms here, without having formed in the astral plane first. This is the weakness of science, in attempting to explain everything in mere physical terms, with no implication of consciousness. Whenever science accepts the primacy of the soul, humanity and civilization are going to skyrocket. Until then, we have: dead materialism versus a nonsense of spirit unrelated to matter, as per theology.

The motion of the planes is "from within outwards, and from without inwards". If our lives were modeled accordingly, we would feel a lot better. But Western-ism teaches the mind and body as separate parts in some vague interaction. This is very immature. Physical is only an effect, not any type of cause, which is why we as our mortal selves can be considered illusionary. But I believe a lot of readers here are not apt to regard their physical self as "existence".

It's not a suggestion: its the fact. Nothing physically exists without that blueprint. Overlook what you see physically, and see it all as having happened astrally, or, in fact, that's where the real action is taking place. This is why we say the physical wold is an illusion, not because it doesn't exist, but because it is only a container of effects, it is not a cause.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Noelle (5th August 2017), Orph (5th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

That's right. The planes, according to Theosophy, are not truly separate -- they all inter-penetrate -- nor are they something that we travel to. When I started having conscious OBEs, the traditional view, with the seven planes, is what I learned about first. I know its roots are in the Upanishads and Buddhist ideas, though Buddhism has many more planes of existence (31, I believe).

But as I have continued reading about other perspectives, including those of Robert Monroe, William Buhlman, Tom Campbell, and many others, I unabashedly admit that I am no where near 100% certain of what the astral world is. My astral version seems to know much more about it.

I agree. What mainstream Western-ism teaches is so off the mark. The big question that I had when I started to consciously leave my body was: Why didn't anyone tell me about this? For weeks I had to stay in the "closet" because I did not want my family to think I was nuts. I think more and more people are becoming conscious out of body travelers, but, like I did, they stay in the closet. Last week I went to my neighbor's home to bring her a sympathy card, because her mother passed. We started talking about the afterlife. I mentioned to her that I have OBEs, and she said something like, "No way. My husband does too."

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

gaiagirl (5th August 2017), Jake (5th August 2017), Spellbound (10th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

I like Rich West. He cusses a lot, but he is straightforward. Here's a 25-min. video in which he shares tips for astral travel newbies. He talks about the importance of keeping a journal; vibrations; mind awake/body asleep; how OBEs, lucid dreams and dreams differ; and more. He has a good number of OBE how-to videos on You Tube.

Rich West: OBE 101

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

gaiagirl (13th August 2017), Orph (10th August 2017), Spellbound (10th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

29. Link to Post #15
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks

[QUOTE=LadyM;1171255]
    As you point out later, the astral (aka etheric) is the energetic blueprint for our physical body (and other earthbound consciousness), it is unnecessary for it to be an exact duplicate and since it is non-physical, how can it be?

Quote The "upper" level if you will, only consists of thought. It doesn't operate on a "permanent" astral body--one's form only exists when projected. Operation at this level is much more desirable.
    Among the infinite number of 'other levels' there are two major subdivisions (to pull from William Buhlman and my own OBE experiences) in the thought-created realms. Those that are energetically dominated by individual thought and those that are dominated by the collective thought or consciousness. The former is pure joy, the latter can be quite challenging.

Quote Not only do I believe that we all have the ability, but we are all doing it. Most people are just not conscious of it.
    Many of our dream-states are based on an OBE experience unfolding while we sleep.

Quote The traditional view also suggests that everything in the physical has a counterpart in the astral; though if this is true, then it seems to me more than likely that the physical is a copy, not the original. The astral would contain the mold or, as you put it, would be the blueprint.
    Very much so.

30. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Mister ET;1172312]
    Quote Posted by LadyM (here)
    As you point out later, the astral (aka etheric) is the energetic blueprint for our physical body (and other earthbound consciousness), it is unnecessary for it to be an exact duplicate and since it is non-physical, how can it be?

Quote The "upper" level if you will, only consists of thought. It doesn't operate on a "permanent" astral body--one's form only exists when projected. Operation at this level is much more desirable.
    Among the infinite number of 'other levels' there are two major subdivisions (to pull from William Buhlman and my own OBE experiences) in the thought-created realms. Those that are energetically dominated by individual thought and those that are dominated by the collective thought or consciousness. The former is pure joy, the latter can be quite challenging.

Quote Not only do I believe that we all have the ability, but we are all doing it. Most people are just not conscious of it.
    Many of our dream-states are based on an OBE experience unfolding while we sleep.

Quote The traditional view also suggests that everything in the physical has a counterpart in the astral; though if this is true, then it seems to me more than likely that the physical is a copy, not the original. The astral would contain the mold or, as you put it, would be the blueprint.
    Very much so.
    Sounds to me like you're a veteran "conscious" astral traveler. Have any tips to share? An experience or two? Please feel free to post here in this thread any time.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

gaiagirl (13th August 2017), Spellbound (10th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

32. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Astral Travel/Out of Body Experience Tactics and Tips

Sounds to me like you're a veteran "conscious" astral traveler. Have any tips to share? An experience or two? Please feel free to post here in this thread any time.
    Very kind of you, thanks.

When I was active teaching the OBE, I emphasized that each person has to find their own way to 'detach'. Personally, to instigate an OBE, I use a mental-vision technique, specifically a whirling vortex that I see in my mind's eye, in my imagination. As long as I stay focused, with practice, popping out is rarely a problem.

Btw, it takes a certain amount of bravery when the kundalini energy spikes right before detachment. The feeling is very much like a locomotive coming down a track. If I chicken out, it takes a day before I settle back into a balanced condition, visibly, lightly shaking.

Everyone needs to find that mental sweet spot and this is the challenge for both coach and client. To find this, most will need a meditative approach, blanking out the noise as best as possible, trying this image or that mantra.

We are a spiritual (nonphysical energy) being temporarily using a biological body (vehicle) for experience and expression. Since the physical body is a temporary vehicle, it is only natural and safe for us to be able to separate from it and experience our nonphysical self.

Once you have learned (unconsciously) to kick your pineal into DMT mode, not only can you quickly learn to pop-out but expect that spontaneous OBEs to come in much larger # of experiences.

33. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

I agree that each has to find their own way to detach. When I decided that I wanted to learn how to initiate them on my own, I read Buhlman's and Bruce's work, and both offer many visualization techniques. While I am pretty good at visualizing things that come from my own imagination, I'm not so good at visualizing something that someone instructs me to visualize. So I just put my all into the relaxation breathing with extremely focused intent, which has been my main method for years.

You mention the locomotive sound being connected to the Kundalini spike. I have experienced a rumbling-roaring, which I compare to the sound of a space shuttle taking off (I live on the Space Coast and used to hear that noise a lot). Sometimes I would hear it upon leaving the physical and sometimes upon return. Is this related to Kundalini or is it different?
    Last edited by Noelle; 12th August 2017 at 23:52.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

gaiagirl (13th August 2017), Orph (10th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

35. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Astral Travel/Out of Body Experience Tactics and Tips

I agree that each has to find their own way to detach. When I decided that I wanted to learn how to initiate them on my own, I read Buhlman's and Bruce's work, and both offer many visualization techniques. While I am pretty good at visualizing things that come my own imagination, I'm not so good at visualizing something that someone instructs me to visualize. So I just put my all into the relaxation breathing with extremely focused intent, which has been my main method for years.
    Yes, well said, everyone must find what works and does not work for them. If you have a good OBE mentor, he will focus on your personality or preferences, are you a visual person? Are you a person who needs to create their own self-initiation technique? Are you the kind who needs a 1, 2, 3 approach taught to you?

Quote You mention the locomotive sound being connected to the Kundalini spike. I have experienced a rumbling-roaring, which I compare to the sound of a space shuttle taking off (I live on the Space Coast and used to hear that noise a lot). Sometimes I would hear it upon leaving the physical and sometimes upon return. Is this related to Kundalini or is it different?
    That's a good question and I don't have an absolute answer. For me, the energy-vibration builds somewhere near the vortex of my root chakra, literally pushes up through my spinal area represented by the caduceus...(note the Anunnaki wings at the crest lol)....

Click image for larger version

Name:	medical_logo_by_vishal.png
Views:	110
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	35888

...but if this is truly the Kundalini energies of the Vedics, dunno.

Space Shuttle, wow, what a great analogy, I grew up near the tracks so locomotive works for me.

Caveat: Not everyone will experience the self-initiated OBE (the OBE from the waking state) but the numbers of folks that can learn to jump-out is remarkably higher than I had anticipated.

Here's a fun fact both anecdotal and from my personal experience with clients. After 3yrs +/- the majority of clients no longer sought OBEs. They all have moved along to something else of had found all they needed from the OBE.

36. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mister ET (here)
    I agree that each has to find their own way to detach. When I decided that I wanted to learn how to initiate them on my own, I read Buhlman's and Bruce's work, and both offer many visualization techniques. While I am pretty good at visualizing things that come my own imagination, I'm not so good at visualizing something that someone instructs me to visualize. So I just put my all into the relaxation breathing with extremely focused intent, which has been my main method for years.
    Yes, well said, everyone must find what works and does not work for them. If you have a good OBE mentor, he will focus on your personality or preferences, are you a visual person? Are you a person who needs to create their own self-initiation technique? Are you the kind who needs a 1, 2, 3 approach taught to you?

Quote You mention the locomotive sound being connected to the Kundalini spike. I have experienced a rumbling-roaring, which I compare to the sound of a space shuttle taking off (I live on the Space Coast and used to hear that noise a lot). Sometimes I would hear it upon leaving the physical and sometimes upon return. Is this related to Kundalini or is it different?
    That's a good question and I don't have an absolute answer. For me, the energy-vibration builds somewhere near the vortex of my root chakra, literally pushes up through my spinal area represented by the caduceus...(note the Anunnaki wings at the crest lol)....

Attachment 35888

...but if this is truly the Kundalini energies of the Vedics, dunno.

Space Shuttle, wow, what a great analogy, I grew up near the tracks so locomotive works for me.

Caveat: Not everyone will experience the self-initiated OBE (the OBE from the waking state) but the numbers of folks that can learn to jump-out is remarkably higher than I had anticipated.

Here's a fun fact both anecdotal and from my personal experience with clients. After 3yrs +/- the majority of clients no longer sought OBEs. They all have moved along to something else of had found all they needed from the OBE.
    Locomotive works. It's rumbly.

I don't recall experiencing that build up of the vibrations from the root chakra, though that's not to say it hasn't happened to me. When you get to those moments right before exiting, it happens so fast and I have to keep my focus aimed at what I want to do when I am out. My vibrations, a sign to me that the time is right to leave the body, almost always begin in the head and face and then sometimes spread.

Ok, your fun fact has me scratching my head. What types of things do they move on to?

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

gaiagirl (13th August 2017), Orph (13th August 2017), Vernaianawa (6th March 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast