+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diet at a besieged Embassy

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,908 times in 1,388 posts

Default Diet at a besieged Embassy

“We have one meal a day, consisting of rice and pasta alternately. We still have quite a lot of tins of tuna and a few of frankfurters, plus a lot of spices, mostly taken from the servants’ quarters.

“Unfortunately we are very short of onions, though we do have garlic, and have only a few tins of tomatoes and tomato paste. We have a little powdered milk left and ‘gram’ powder made from chickpeas, I think, so I can make white sauces. We have used up all our ordinary flour, which means I can no longer make bread, as I did in the early days.”

The besieged diplomat reported that curried tuna and tuna lasagne were both popular, and so was crab in cheese sauce: “Curried frankfurter is rather less so, though ‘sausage chasseur’ is accepted.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...food-diplomats

Between 1990 and 1991 Iraq invaded Kuwait, besieged, British diplomats tried to hold out, the Chablis had all gone, the carver had gone off, and the turkey had done a runner....so it was good old tuna, tinned tomatoes, and herbs and spices save the day, at least the cutlery was still intact.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bogeyman For This Post:

Noelle (20th July 2017)

+ Reply to Thread