+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Message from Freepress Action | Warrantless US Internet Surveillance

1. Link to Post #1
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,626 times in 5,415 posts

Default Message from Freepress Action | Warrantless US Internet Surveillance

Following my recent post on The Internet page here on Avalon and my sign-off para on that thread post, here's the 'good' (sic) news item I referred to, good in that it provides you a platform to make your voice heard. Of particular concern if you are an American citizen but with the usual caveat that it probably doesn't matter where you are; it will doubtless affect us all.

Here's the email I received earlier this week and amended link for action, here: http://act.freepress.net/sign/intern...54899%2EprFPPF Thank you to members for raising this.

In the fight for Net Neutrality we've made it clear that we won't let corporations control what we do online. But it's not just companies like AT&T, Comcast and Verizon we need to worry about — we must also be vigilant in protecting our civil liberties from infringement by the Trump administration.

Right now, Congress is beginning debate on Section 702 of the FISA Amendments Act, a sweeping and controversial spying authority. It's set to expire at the end of this year and some are pushing for permanent reauthorization. We can't let that happen: Tell Congress not to reauthorize Section 702 spying.

Section 702 of the FISA Amendments Act authorizes intelligence agencies like the FBI and NSA to scan phone calls, text messages and emails in bulk. These activities are supposed to target people outside the United States, but they also sweep up massive amounts of Americans’ communications — without a warrant or any individualized suspicion of wrongdoing.

Section 702 is one of the surveillance programs Edward Snowden exposed. Now it's up to us: Help protect our online privacy from an administration that's notorious for abusing power.

It’s common for the Section 702 dragnet to sweep up “family photographs, love letters, personal financial matters, discussions of physical and mental health, and political and religious exchanges.”1 While this sweeping authorization was meant to protect us from serious threats to national security, the FBI regularly uses it to sidestep Fourth Amendment protections and search Americans' personal information. Instead of letting this horrible surveillance dragnet expire, Sen. Tom Cotton's current bill would make it a permanent fixture of life in the United States.

The Trump administration has demonstrated hostility to activists, communities of color, and even journalists. If given the opportunity, the Trump administration will surely wield this powerful tool against America’s most vulnerable communities. We need your help to safeguard Americans’ privacy and make sure this authority is not renewed: Tell Congress NO on Section 702 spying.

Thanks for all that you do—
    Sandy, Lucia, Candace and the rest of the Free Press Action Fund Team 
    freepress.net
    P.S. This warrantless mass surveillance program violates your civil liberties. Tell Congress to reject any bill that would reauthorize Section 702.
    1. “Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, National Security and Privacy Hearing,” Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, May 10, 2016: https://act.freepress.net/go/16874?t=10&akid=6587%2E10054899%2EprFPPF

The Free Press Action Fund is a nonpartisan organization fighting for your rights to connect and communicate. The Free Press Action Fund does not support or oppose any candidate for public office. Learn more at freepress.net.
    Join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
    Last edited by Tintin; 26th July 2017 at 07:11. Reason: Corrected link for action

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

avid (26th July 2017), Nasu (26th July 2017), onawah (25th July 2017), Praxis (26th July 2017), Rawhide68 (25th July 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,098 times in 20,640 posts

Default Re: Message from Freepress Action | Warrantless US Internet Surveillance

Each breath a gift...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Rawhide68 (25th July 2017), Tintin (25th July 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Message from Freepress Action | Warrantless US Internet Surveillance

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    You can take action here:
    http://act.freepress.net/sign/intern...ebsite_actions
    Thank you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

onawah (25th July 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 times in 617 posts

Tintin, this is actually not about net neutrality this is about them watching us using the FISA courts specifically using the section 702 of the we get to watch every ****ing thing you do law. Net Neutrality has to do with how ISP treat data on their networks.

Imagine HOV lanes for internet traffic. If PA, for instance, pays comcast then all the data to and froM PA on comcast network will go very well.

IF PA doesnt give them extra money for the premium service, then all traffic to and from this website can and WILL BE throttled.

Please dont muddy the waters around the ideas of net neutrality. It is already a tricky debate that most are not paying attention to.

I dont know how anyone can support changing internet from title 2. Ajit Paii is a scumbag human with a corporate soul. Yet team trump people wont see anything wrong with this move.

We are losing the internet slowly but surely. Cherish PA because eventually it is going to be shut down or slowed to a crawl if Ajit Pai and the FCC( which represent the corporations right now) get their way. If this change doesnt make POTUS supporters question their support of him, then I dont know what will. Seriously, if you support this change, you dont deserve to use the internet right now.

EDIT

In fact, can a MOD change the title of this post and remove the part about net neutrality as the actual content of the post is only about 702 and NOT about the FCC and the current battle for net neutrality?
    Last edited by Praxis; 26th July 2017 at 00:46.

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

They want to load it on the AI for profile summarization. This is not good. Every person you know will also be spied on and family photos of children all for the pedophiles to know what schools and everything. They need to step off with that. Job information, taxes, buying receits, prescription e-mails on picking up, telephone numbers loaded in ALL phones. AI is gonna backfire and kill those doing the killing.

9. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 9ofClubs (here)
    Tintin, this is actually not about net neutrality this is about them watching us using the FISA courts specifically using the section 702 of the we get to watch every ****ing thing you do law. Net Neutrality has to do with how ISP treat data on their networks.

Imagine HOV lanes for internet traffic. If PA, for instance, pays comcast then all the data to and froM PA on comcast network will go very well.

IF PA doesnt give them extra money for the premium service, then all traffic to and from this website can and WILL BE throttled.

Please dont muddy the waters around the ideas of net neutrality. It is already a tricky debate that most are not paying attention to.

I dont know how anyone can support changing internet from title 2. Ajit Paii is a scumbag human with a corporate soul. Yet team trump people wont see anything wrong with this move.

We are losing the internet slowly but surely. Cherish PA because eventually it is going to be shut down or slowed to a crawl if Ajit Pai and the FCC( which represent the corporations right now) get their way. If this change doesnt make POTUS supporters question their support of him, then I dont know what will. Seriously, if you support this change, you dont deserve to use the internet right now.

EDIT

In fact, can a MOD change the title of this post and remove the part about net neutrality as the actual content of the post is only about 702 and NOT about the FCC and the current battle for net neutrality?
    Thanks, and apologies. I'd crossed wires in my mind. Yes, you are right, this is a stand-alone issue worthy of its own discussion thread (there probably is one somewhere as well). I've myself amended the title now to better reflect the content. All the best.

10. Link to Post #7
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,438 times in 21,490 posts

I changed this thread's title from having the phrase "Surveillance and Net Neutrality", to having the phrase "Warrantless US Internet Surveillance".
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Tintin (26th July 2017)

12. Link to Post #8
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 times in 617 posts

It is I who is sorry for being so nit picky.

I am grateful to you for starting this thread as this issue is super important.

But it doesnt seem that many people on this forum really care about this issue judging by the response you are getting. Snowden's job was to normalize NSA workings and bring the national security state closer to the overt world. I am reading the Church Committee Reports right now and they are very illuminating. You can find a wealth of intelligence related congressional reports of official government documents HERE.

Consider NSA was reading people's physical mail. Really consider the logistics of that.

I exhort you to read! Not some blogspot blog, not some forum, not some private site but rather what reality is from the ultimate monopoly on force we call the United States Government. This is our collective public record, which is why you should be mad that the government hides documents from you.

Knowledge Dissolves Fear

13. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    I changed this thread's title from having the phrase "Surveillance and Net Neutrality", to having the phrase "Warrantless US Internet Surveillance".
    Many thanks Paul - I appreciate you fixing that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

ThePythonicCow (26th July 2017)

15. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 9ofClubs (here)
    It is I who is sorry for being so nit picky.

I am grateful to you for starting this thread as this issue is super important.

But it doesnt seem that many people on this forum really care about this issue judging by the response you are getting. Snowden's job was to normalize NSA workings and bring the national security state closer to the overt world. I am reading the Church Committee Reports right now and they are very illuminating. You can find a wealth of intelligence related congressional reports of official government documents HERE.

Consider NSA was reading people's physical mail. Really consider the logistics of that.

I exhort you to read! Not some blogspot blog, not some forum, not some private site but rather what reality is from the ultimate monopoly on force we call the United States Government. This is our collective public record, which is why you should be mad that the government hides documents from you.

Knowledge Dissolves Fear
    Not to worry, it is very important that the lines aren't blurred. This is indeed an issue of huge importance.

I concur, absolutely, with what you say here: this is a MUST READ and I'll be poring through it, trust me. The ramifications are enormous.

Other members will pick this up, in time I expect but hopefully before any policy is embedded, or pale horses bolted. Who knows, maybe through collective effort and some form of action this could be derailed. The optimist in me hopes to prevail over the cynic. I value your commentary here 9ofClubs and thanks again for getting 'on it'.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Nasu (26th July 2017)

+ Reply to Thread