+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kaspersky Antivirus Completely Free-of-charge

1. Link to Post #1
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Default Kaspersky Antivirus Completely Free-of-charge

Kaspersky Lab's CEO announces the antivirus software is completely free-of-charge

RT
    Wed, 26 Jul 2017 19:49 UTC

Russian cybersecurity firm Kaspersky Lab has unveiled the global launch of a free version of its antivirus software.
    "I've some fantastic, earth-shattering-saving news: we're announcing the global launch of Kaspersky Free, which, as you may have guessed by the title, is completely free-of-charge! Oh my giveaway!" company CEO Eugene Kaspersky wrote in a blog post.
    The announcement came amid US allegations the company is vulnerable to Russian government influence, a charge Kaspersky has vehemently denied.

Last month, US senators said they planned to bar the Pentagon from using Kaspersky Lab software. In response to the allegations Eugene Kaspersky said he was ready to reveal the source code for the company's software to the US government.

The cybersecurity company says the new product is immediately available in the US, Canada, and many of the Asia Pacific countries.
    In September, Kaspersky Lab plans to cover India, Hong Kong, the Middle East, Africa, Turkey, Latin America. Europe, Japan and South Korea will be able to get access to the free antivirus in October. Thailand and Vietnam will be able to join in November.
    "And that, I do believe, will be it - the whole planet covered," Kaspersky wrote.
    The free version will not replace the paid versions of the company's antivirus software, as it offers "the bare essentials,"including file, email and web antivirus protection, automatic updates and self-defense, according to the CEO.

Pete Santilli‏ @PTSantilli

‘We stay on bright side’: Kaspersky ready to give source code to US govt
    https://goo.gl/DTqeqU #rt

8:55 AM - 3 Jul 2017
    "An increase in the number of installations of Kaspersky Free will positively affect the quality of protection of all users, since the big databases will have more numbers to work with to better hone the machine learning," he wrote.
    Pilot versions of the new product have been in testing since last year in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, China, as well as the Nordic countries.
    "I say successfully... - that would be an understatement; for with practically zero promo activity Kaspersky Free was installed several million times, in doing so cranking up our market share considerably," wrote the head of the firm.

Edit: KL AV Free - Downloads:

https://www.kaspersky.com/free-antiv...ily_lnk_______

https://downloads.tomsguide.com/Kasp...301-67733.html
    Last edited by Hervé; 26th July 2017 at 19:11.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

2. The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Alekahn2 (26th July 2017), Alx (26th July 2017), aoibhghaire (27th July 2017), avid (26th July 2017), Ben (27th July 2017), Bill Ryan (26th July 2017), Billy (13th September 2017), BMJ (27th August 2017), Bubu (27th July 2017), Calz (23rd August 2017), Chester (23rd August 2017), Chip (10th January 2019), CurEus (27th July 2017), cursichella1 (27th July 2017), Daughter of Time (26th July 2017), DeDukshyn (26th July 2017), Desire (27th July 2017), DNA (1st December 2017), drneglector (27th July 2017), enigma3 (26th July 2017), gaiagirl (27th July 2017), happyuk (4th December 2017), hohoemi (28th July 2017), Innocent Warrior (27th July 2017), justntime2learn (26th July 2017), kanishk (8th December 2017), Kryztian (24th April 2019), Lefty Dave (27th July 2017), lunaflare (27th July 2017), mab777 (27th July 2017), Molly4US (27th July 2017), muxfolder (31st July 2017), Nasu (13th September 2017), PathWalker (26th August 2017), Reinhard (26th August 2017), Rich (23rd August 2017), sdv (27th July 2017), Sequoia (23rd October 2017), silverfish (26th August 2017), Sophocles (26th July 2017), SpookyMulder (28th July 2017), uzn (27th July 2017), Zampano (27th July 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,522 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: Kaspersky Antivirus Completely Free-of-charge

Excellent. More details from their own website:

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alx (26th July 2017), aoibhghaire (27th July 2017), avid (26th July 2017), Ben (27th July 2017), BMJ (27th August 2017), cursichella1 (27th July 2017), Daughter of Time (26th July 2017), enigma3 (26th July 2017), ExomatrixTV (26th July 2017), Hervé (26th July 2017), Innocent Warrior (27th July 2017), justntime2learn (26th July 2017), kanishk (8th December 2017), Sophocles (26th July 2017), SpookyMulder (28th July 2017), uzn (27th July 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 times in 233 posts

Sweet!

I have the intuition that this is what they say it is. Downloading now.

Anyone finding anything fishy before I install?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Post:

BMJ (28th August 2017), Hervé (27th July 2017), Innocent Warrior (27th July 2017), justntime2learn (27th July 2017), SpookyMulder (28th July 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by helluvahat (here)
    [...]
    Anyone finding anything fishy before I install?
    Someone would have squealed if there was even a bug:

Quote with practically zero promo activity Kaspersky Free was installed several million times

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Ben (27th July 2017), BMJ (27th August 2017), Innocent Warrior (27th July 2017), justntime2learn (27th July 2017), SpookyMulder (28th July 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 times in 233 posts

Yup, got it.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Post:

BMJ (28th August 2017), Hervé (27th July 2017), Innocent Warrior (27th July 2017), justntime2learn (27th July 2017), SpookyMulder (28th July 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Reading this gave me a subtle Anxiety Attack. I love being out of the scariness of the Cold War, and have really liked Putin. But, I don't like my (United States) economic system, computer system, all things computerized, being linked up to any and everyone. Firewall breeches, viruses. This is scary to me. I feel like I just got pre-warned that if I don't get my Kaspersky Antivirus installed, then I am on a virus hit-list. Then you guys above just say small sentences like. "Yup, got it." Well, what do you "get"? Lately, last decade practically, it seems like people don't just speak freely and say the full extent of what they mean. I am inquizative, but don't know everything. We all learn by sharing. Tell me. Tell me.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Molly4US For This Post:

BMJ (27th August 2017), Desire (27th July 2017), Hervé (27th July 2017), Innocent Warrior (27th July 2017), SpookyMulder (28th July 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,945 times in 1,689 posts

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts for you may be swallowing razor blades.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

Lifebringer (27th July 2017), PathWalker (26th August 2017), SpookyMulder (28th July 2017), wondering (27th July 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

Quote Posted by amor (here)
    As free as photobucket ?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (27th July 2017), meeradas (26th August 2017), Spiral (23rd August 2017), SpookyMulder (28th July 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,551 times in 3,482 posts

Here's a review of the Kaspersky anti-virus 2017 from tech radar.

Here's the customer reviews on Amazon.

There's a load of sus posts with five star ratings, so take the review stats graph with a grain of salt, they also have plenty of happy customers but also a lot of disappointed customers, I compared it with the Norton reviews which hard far fewer low ratings.

I've read a couple of their reports on malwares and thought they were excellent.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

BMJ (27th August 2017), Hervé (27th July 2017), SpookyMulder (28th July 2017), uzn (23rd August 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,551 times in 3,482 posts

Quote Posted by helluvahat (here)
    Yup, got it.
    Only if you get the time, at some point could you let us know your thoughts on it please, TY.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

BMJ (27th August 2017), Hervé (27th July 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by amor (here)
    Right: like Windows 8-8.1 and Windows 10?!

Currently. most antivirus and Internet security suites have a free version of their full programs which would beat the "free" McAfee install any time of the day!

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

BMJ (27th August 2017), Chester (27th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (27th July 2017), Kryztian (24th April 2019), SpookyMulder (28th July 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 times in 404 posts

I use Avast and Ccleaner. Ccleaner is used in safe mode. Those two clean better than a Roomba.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enigma3 For This Post:

BMJ (28th August 2017), PathWalker (26th August 2017)

25. Link to Post #13
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Five star endorsement of Kaspersky antivirus by the FBI... follow the Jim Stone logic

USE KAPERSKY ANTIVIRUS!

IF YOU WANT TO FLUSTER THE NSA DATA RAPE, USE KAPERSKY. SCOUT'S HONOR!

The article I quoted was posted on Breitbart:
    FBI Advises Private Companies to Stop Using Kaspersky Antivirus
    My [= Jim Stone's] comment: That's because if you put up obstacles that protect your company data, the NSA can't rape it and then sell it off to the highest Matzo Ball gulping bidder. Keep your contacts and customers as private as possible. To prevent the NSA from selling you out to the communists, USE A RUSSIAN PRODUCT that certainly does not meet the demands the NSA puts on American software writers.

The FBI has reportedly been advising private companies to stop using Kaspersky antivirus and internet protection apps, stating that they are an unacceptable threat to national security.
    My comment: The FBI defines a "threat" as anything they can't get their grubby hands into. YOUR PRIVACY IS TO THEM AN "UNACCEPTABLE THREAT TO NATIONAL SECURITY".
    CyberScoop reports that the FBI has been speaking to intelligence companies in the private sector, warning them away from Kaspersky products claiming that the Moscow-based antivirus and internet security firm is a threat to national security. The FBI's latest warnings are part of a long period of tension between the U.S. government and Kaspersky as many U.S. intelligence officials have worried that Kaspersky products could be used to collect private U.S. data. The FBI aims to have U.S. intelligence firms cease using Kaspersky products entirely.
    My comment: ALL ANTIVIRUS PRODUCTS CAN BE USED TO COLLECT "PRIVATE U.S. DATA". Norton. McCaffe. ALL OF THEM. The difference with Russia is that your private data is not handed straight to an American intelligence agency, and then used against you locally, by your local "privileged" competitor. If they want American intelligence agencies to stop using Kapersky, they only want to be ensured they can nip any white hat rebellions in the bud, before they take off.

The FBI's counterintelligence team has been briefing multiple U.S. based companies since the start of 2017, prioritizing companies in the energy sector and companies that use industrial control (ICS) and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems as the FBI fears that cyberattacks on the U.S. electrical grids could be devastating. The prioritization of companies in the energy sector is partly due to recent cyberattacks on power grids in Ukraine and the Department of Homeland Security's classification of the energy sector as "critical infrastructure."
    My comment: That sounds cute, but is completely hollow, when absolutely no critical infrastructure system should be accessible to hackers anyway. How would a Kaperski product be different from an American counterpart in this regard then? Is anyone stupid enough to believe Norton is going to protect you from the latest CIA/Israeli drafted form of Stuxnet?

The FBI reportedly gave these companies a high-level overview of their threat assessment of Kaspersky products, including supposed links between the Kaspersky company and Russian intelligence agencies. The FBI listed a number of questionable actions by the Kaspersky company such as an instance in which the company allegedly faked malware. Kaspersky, however, denies these claims stating that the accusations come from, "disgruntled, former company employees, whose accusations are meritless."
    My comment: I never worry about the Russians, they are not the ones causing problems around here, why should anyone else worry then, when the obvious real threat is so-called, "American intelligence" which is really just an apparatus of treason that is working a LOT HARDER than the Russians to destroy individuals, and hand their rightful futures to a handful of disgusting "elite"? Let's see the FBI do something to rein in Google. How about the Clintons? Then they can talk!

Companies that use ISC and SCADA systems have reportedly been extremely cooperative with the FBI with some even quietly moving away from Kaspersky products and signing contracts with Kaspersky competitors. Larger and more traditional tech companies that have had longstanding relationships with Kaspersky are reportedly less compliant with the FBI with some seeming to ignore the FBI's warnings.
    My comment: That's because if they were smart enough to survive long enough to become "larger and more traditional" despite the atmosphere they operate in, they know the FBI is full of sh*t, and are predominantly Jewish, which would DEFINITELY KNOW THE FBI IS FULL OF SH*T because they own the FBI!

"If these briefings are actually occurring, it's extremely disappointing that a government agency would take such actions against a law-abiding and ethical company like Kaspersky Lab, " a Kaspersky representative said in a statement to CyberScoop. "The company doesn't have inappropriate ties with any government, which is why no credible evidence has been presented publicly by anyone or any organization to back up the false allegations made against Kaspersky Lab. The only conclusion seems to be that Kaspersky Lab, a private company, is caught in the middle of a geopolitical fight, and it's being treated unfairly, even though the company has never helped, nor will help, any government in the world with its cyber-espionage or offensive cyber efforts."
    My comment: Forget the geopolitical part, the FBI's interest is in destroying America. if the FBI speaks out against ANYTHING security related, anything at all then whatever they speak against should become your only consideration for use. With all the patsies, false flags, and how well they handled Charleston which was an enemy action from within, staged by elite people they know all about, If they won't pursue Hillary despite the enormous body count they have no credibility whatsoever. YOUR ONLY CONSIDERATION SHOULD BE KAPERSKY ALL THE WAY, BY MEANS OF DEFECTIVE MERIT THE FBI JUST TOLD US WHO IS LEGIT.

=====================================================

Remember Vault 7?

That's the "warez" department maintained and augmented by the CIA for their own - as well as their friends' - benefit... with - very likely - special instructions to cooperative, US affiliated cybersecurity software companies to leave those warez alone...
    Last edited by Hervé; 24th August 2017 at 16:12.

26. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd August 2017), Billy (13th September 2017), BMJ (27th August 2017), Calz (23rd August 2017), Chester (27th August 2017), DNA (1st December 2017), enigma3 (17th September 2017), Ewan (23rd August 2017), Foxie Loxie (23rd August 2017), kanishk (8th December 2017), Mike Gorman (24th April 2019), PathWalker (26th August 2017), Reinhard (26th August 2017), Rich (25th August 2017), Sequoia (13th September 2017), ThePythonicCow (23rd August 2017), uzn (23rd August 2017)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,304 times in 950 posts

Ah, just as an FYI but if you can't wait to download it as per their "global roll out schedule" (see image) but you do, however, have access to a VPN then simply connect to the USA and go to the "Kaspersky Free download page" to install the product

Note : Ensure your VPN connection stays active until the product is Activated !

And I can report that from the UK (over the last month or so) you can update the program's database as often as you like without having to "pretend" you're based in the USA

Apparently some "things in life" ARE "for free" LOL

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th September 2017), Billy (13th September 2017), BMJ (28th August 2017), enigma3 (17th September 2017), Hervé (26th August 2017), kanishk (8th December 2017), Reinhard (27th August 2017), Sequoia (23rd October 2017)

29. Link to Post #15
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 times in 560 posts

I will wait awhile see if any problems happen. But...maybe they have backdoors built in just like the three letters...sometimes my general paranoia get's the better hand.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3(C)+me For This Post:

BMJ (28th August 2017), dynamo (27th August 2017), Hervé (26th August 2017)

31. Link to Post #16
    Israel Avalon Member PathWalker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,056 times in 1,088 posts

Reader! take notice that the information war is an illusion of diversion.
    Same bird with 2 wings/parties/enemies/powers/etc...

Eventually we have no privacy in the electronic media what so ever.
    If a person is targeted all the information is accessible. All secret services are sharing/trading information for their interests.

Eventually, all state secrets and information systems will be public, it is unavoidable process...

The only practical way to hide information is by massive distribution, replication and obscurity.

Forget about encryption, and AntiVirus. They are both espionage monitoring tools.

If you want to keep your privacy use an esoteric system, unknown, obscure, with no viruses (Like obscure Linux distributions, or forgotten legacy operating systems like BeOs etc).
    The price/penalty is portability and integration with the rest of the world.

For those of us who care for anonymity, I suggest freenet."

Quote Freenet is a peer-to-peer platform for censorship-resistant communication and publishing.
    Happy surfing. They know what your read, what you heard and what you wrote.
    Next they will know what you think, and prevent your thoughts in your mind.

PathWalker.
    We are playing a virtual reality game, of duality. In the game of choices, align your choices with your ideals. Everything is whole, complete and perfect. Even yourself. Love is the power to change/create.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PathWalker For This Post:

3(C)+me (13th September 2017), BMJ (28th August 2017), dynamo (27th August 2017)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,972 times in 595 posts

Rest assured...those who write the "Anti-Virus" software can very well write the Virus Software.
    You may think your computer is clean.
    Why?
    Because a piece of software tells you that it is squeaky clean?
    That piece of software will tell you whatever the software writer wants it to tell you...no ifs, ands or buts.
    Unless you know how to interpret 30+ million lines of computer code (as in Windows 10, for example, just an "educated guess" at the lines of code, IIRC remember Windows NT was some 14 million lines or so), you are at the mercy of the software writer.
    So...let's all jump ship and install some Russian software...because it's FREE!
    Yes, that's it, that's the ticket!

Seriously?
    OK, so since I got myself into this thread, someone will surely ask "What Anti-Virus Software do you use, Mr. Smarty Pants?"
    I use either none (they are for internal work, we just don't go to suspect sites and click furiously at anything that pops up) or the one my ISP provides, for a fee.
    If my computer gets hosed, I reformat the drive and reinstall the Operating System.
    No sense in blaming the ISP.
    They have more lawyers than I do LOL!!!
    Keep important data on Local, external drives and do unplug them from time to time.
    Last edited by dynamo; 27th August 2017 at 15:35.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dynamo For This Post:

3(C)+me (13th September 2017), Basho (13th September 2017), BMJ (28th August 2017), findingneo (15th October 2017), gord (28th August 2017), Michi (27th August 2017), PathWalker (17th September 2017)

35. Link to Post #18
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

From Jim stone's experience:

WELL WORTH NOTING:

IT APPEARS THAT, WITH KASPERSKY INSTALLED AND A MEGA SECURABLE COMPUTER, COMBAT MODE WILL NOT BE NEEDED

Gee, I would love to return the site to normal!

Here is what may have happened: After hackers released all the NSA hackware files, Kaspersky went through them and plugged all the holes. That would explain why American intelligence is telling people to avoid Kaspersky.

Let me repeat an old story on this site . . . .
    Years ago, (2012 or so) a Norton programmer contacted me and told me that both Norton and McAfee had people permanently stationed at Microsoft, and their only job was to cooperate with Microsoft and make sure their system security products did not close any NSA backdoors that Microsoft put there for the NSA.
    This is cold hard irrefutable fact, not internet rumor.

So do you think I am going to listen when American intelligence tells me to avoid Kaspersky, WHICH HAS NO PEOPLE SITTING AT MICROSOFT, cooperating to make sure no holes get plugged?

Also of note: This programmer made no mention of Trend Micro, so maybe Trend Micro products actually work too.

Anyway, testing the waters here with Kaspersky (and hopefully not testing fate!)
    I will certainly keep you updated.

Update:
    ADVICE: The best Icelandic web host is Orangewebsite.com, if you have been shut down GO THERE.

DUE TO A PURCHASE OF NEW EQUIPMENT AND A REDOUBLED EFFORT AT SECURITY, COMBAT MODE MIGHT NOT BE NEEDED ANYMORE

Initial tests look promising.

The old system I have been using since 2011 was not well secured at first, which means permanent bugs got planted on it. there was nothing I could do to secure it.

Thanks to the plentiful donations this month, I was able to get a new computer with a very enhanced security arrangement.

It goes well beyond Kaspersky.

The new system probably wont keep me safe from the NSA, but I could actually care less about the NSA because they are not a random idiot causing mayhem and the NSA prefers to not be noticed. They would be noticed, I am not a blind fool.

This system is now configured to keep me safe from keyloggers and remote a-holes even if 50 of them get bugs planted. There are no hacker tools outside of intelligence that will work, (and I am sure even American intelligence will be stifled but probably not entirely stopped).

Anyway, I have more eyes with this than a spider, I will keep people posted if anything goes wrong, or if all goes well.

I am (somewhat guessing, not completely confident) that it was media matters types, and not American intelligence that was causing the problems. So much can be done outside official channels that intelligence agencies are only a partial worry. If the new security holds, it probably was not American intelligence.

This might work a little bit better now, but probably will not be perfect because it is up to the web host to keep this secure, and I doubt they were as careful as I was with the new system.

36. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

3(C)+me (13th September 2017), Baby Steps (13th September 2017), Bill Ryan (13th September 2017), Billy (13th September 2017), BMJ (13th September 2017), DNA (1st December 2017), enigma3 (17th September 2017), kanishk (8th December 2017), PathWalker (17th September 2017), Reinhard (13th September 2017), Rich (13th September 2017)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,349 times in 1,707 posts

FBI briefing US companies to dump Kaspersky, claiming intelligence prove it a 'threat to national security'

Quote: "The FBI has been briefing private companies in the US since the beginning of the year to ditch Kaspersky, claiming that it has evidence that the company's products are a "threat to national security"."

Link: https://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/3015...ional-security

Filtering the spin, then the alphabet agencies are having difficulty cracking this nut.

So five stars to Kaspersky for your antivirus software, it has now been officially endorsed by the alphabet agencies.
    Last edited by BMJ; 13th September 2017 at 15:45.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th September 2017), DNA (1st December 2017), enigma3 (17th September 2017), Hervé (13th September 2017), Reinhard (13th September 2017)

39. Link to Post #20
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by BMJ (here)
    [...]
    So five stars to Kaspersky for your antivirus software, it has now been officially endorsed by the alphabet agencies.
    We are agreed

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    Five star endorsement of Kaspersky antivirus by the FBI... follow the Jim Stone logic

USE KAPERSKY ANTIVIRUS!

IF YOU WANT TO FLUSTER THE NSA DATA RAPE, USE KAPERSKY. SCOUT'S HONOR!

The article I quoted was posted on Breitbart:
    FBI Advises Private Companies to Stop Using Kaspersky Antivirus
    [...]

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th September 2017), BMJ (15th September 2017), DNA (1st December 2017), enigma3 (17th September 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast