+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst 1 10 20

Thread: Hurricanes: Harvey... Irma... José... Maria... Ophelia...

1. Link to Post #381
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Default Re: Hurricanes: Harvey... Irma... José... Maria... Ophelia...

Quote Posted by Foxie Loxie (here)
    Wish I could figure out "who" had it "in" for PR & what exactly their plan is for rebuilding....or, taking over?!
    PR has it in for themselves...

They had a truck driver strike that held up the delivery of FEMA goods

Tons of anti-fema propaganda being pushed for reasons that smell very political (Democrats flailing at trump? Sad but it seems like this is the case)

Quote Posted by justntime2learn (here)
    Here's an update from one of my friends who is there.

"UPDATE: NOV. 8TH 2017 — Puerto Rico still needs ‘unprecedented’ help! The September storm damage is estimated at $45 to $95 billion. So far, Congress has only approved $5 billion in aid. Now that cameras are gone, people can’t imagine what the Puerto Ricans are going through. While conditions have somewhat improved since the Sept. 20 storm — 4 out of 5 Puerto Ricans are still without electric. The Government estimates power to return by April 2018. The longest blackout in American history is far from the island's biggest problem. Homes haven't been rebuilt, thousands remain in shelters and tens of thousands of houses do not have roofs. Many are still waiting for installation of temporary tarps which will take months. People' jobs and income are gone including basic government functions ie: police, firefighters, teachers and other public employees. The island’s power grid and other infrastructure are virtually destroyed. Communications shaky (internet + phones)"
    Oh gee, imagine that, they mention money in the first line...

"longest black out in american history" .... haha, I guess they forgot about when Hugo hit St Croix in 89 and power was out for around a year+... Or that St Thomas was hit by IRMA and still doesn't have power restored to the majority of the island (making THAT longer than "the longest black out in America")

Maybe it's a difference in culture?

We only have around 500 linemen from the states here, there's more in PR... in fact PR is getting the majority of the electrical supplies and our guys end up sitting on their hands at times waiting for more poles and cables.

I think many, if not nearly all of PR's current problems are self inflicted and indicative of the corruption that lead them to financial ruin before the storm.

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    Highly consistent with my friend's observation on the Island. I talked with him today once again (a plea for batteries for solar systems, as portable generator systems are creating noxious fumes)..
    Hmm, I've been running a generator every night for months now... maybe he lives in an enclosed area or is running his gen inside? (85% of the island is on generator or has no power still here; ICE sells (collectively) by the TON, DAILY...)

Also, "solar batteries" are not easy to come by, ever... nor are they something you buy more than once every 5-10 years, why would he have a system with no batteries, does he have a charge controller or just an inverter and panels; batteries won't help if that's the case.. "net metering" systems will just have panels and an inverter that feeds electricity to the grid, if the grid is down the solar system won't do anything for the house with out a re-design.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bruno (9th November 2017), Callista (10th November 2017), fourty-two (9th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (9th November 2017), Hervé (9th November 2017), justntime2learn (9th November 2017), Noelle (9th November 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (9th November 2017), Sunny (11th November 2017)

3. Link to Post #382
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,880 times in 2,121 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Wish I could figure out "who" had it "in" for PR & what exactly their plan is for rebuilding....or, taking over?!

Tons of anti-fema propaganda being pushed for reasons that smell very political (Democrats flailing at trump? Sad but it seems like this is the case)

"UPDATE: NOV. 8TH 2017 — Puerto Rico still needs ‘unprecedented’ help! The September storm damage is estimated at $45 to $95 billion. So far, Congress has only approved $5 billion in aid. Now that cameras are gone, people can’t imagine what the Puerto Ricans are going through. While conditions have somewhat improved since the Sept. 20 storm — 4 out of 5 Puerto Ricans are still without electric. The Government estimates power to return by April 2018. The longest blackout in American history is far from the island's biggest problem. Homes haven't been rebuilt, thousands remain in shelters and tens of thousands of houses do not have roofs. Many are still waiting for installation of temporary tarps which will take months. People' jobs and income are gone including basic government functions ie: police, firefighters, teachers and other public employees. The island’s power grid and other infrastructure are virtually destroyed. Communications shaky (internet + phones)"

"longest black out in american history" .... haha, I guess they forgot about when Hugo hit St Croix in 89 and power was out for around a year+... Or that St Thomas was hit by IRMA and still doesn't have power restored to the majority of the island (making THAT longer than "the longest black out in America")

We only have around 500 linemen from the states here, there's more in PR... in fact PR is getting the majority of the electrical supplies and our guys end up sitting on their hands at times waiting for more poles and cables.

I think many, if not nearly all of PR's current problems are self inflicted and indicative of the corruption that lead them to financial ruin before the storm.

Highly consistent with my friend's observation on the Island. I talked with him today once again (a plea for batteries for solar systems, as portable generator systems are creating noxious fumes)..
    Hmm, I've been running a generator every night for months now... maybe he lives in an enclosed area or is running his gen inside? (85% of the island is on generator or has no power still here; ICE sells (collectively) by the TON, DAILY...)

Also, "solar batteries" are not easy to come by, ever... nor are they something you buy more than once every 5-10 years, why would he have a system with no batteries, does he have a charge controller or just an inverter and panels; batteries won't help if that's the case.. "net metering" systems will just have panels and an inverter that feeds electricity to the grid, if the grid is down the solar system won't do anything for the house with out a re-design.
    Or maybe it's because they don't live there ? I don't know TargeT ...

My friends live in Dallas, Texas and are going back and forth helping in both areas. I know I tried to help and almost got scammed.

It's important for me to hear your updates and keep me grounded. This whole tragedy has taken me from thinking I may have lost a friend to you being hunted by FEMA (Wouldn't want to be them ... and every in between.

Learning about "Whitefish Energy" was very helpful and so are you bro.

Always thinking and sending positive energy to you and family
    Last edited by justntime2learn; 9th November 2017 at 16:28. Reason: typo
    “To develop a complete mind: Study the art of science; study the science of art. Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else” – Leonardo Da Vinci

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

Callista (10th November 2017), fourty-two (9th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (9th November 2017), Noelle (9th November 2017), TargeT (9th November 2017)

5. Link to Post #383
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

He has a walled in area, stone wall surrounding his place, which is not an open area with free wind flow. Not inside tg. Not sure the age of the motor driving the alternator, or how the exhaust is vented. He'd rather be on solar, which is why the plea for batteries that are not being horded.

I suggested wind and he said, not enough wind due to the walled in area, solar is his only alternative he felt.

Interesting on the trucking strike blocking the FEMA shipments. Justintime, can you give me a reference where you saw or heard that? I will ask my friend to check that out personally, and see if he can reach someone who can point out that it isn't FEMA blocking shipping, but a "truckers strike"... Strange I always thought, FEMA could over-ride any "strikes" with their own transport, like being an emergency management agency.. power to get shipments in despite local blockages of "the flow".

My friend emphasized if one is willing to pay the "bribes" one could get whatever.. He can't, and won't as he feels that is wrong to have to do that.

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)

re: the solar batteries - he said they are dead, won't take a charge. He's experienced enough in electronics (taught basic repair for students in a technical school for years), and says need the replacements. I asked about deep cycle, proper conditioner. He said how we going to get such shipped in with the inability to get them - he's not on any "priority" list to get any preferential treatment.
    Last edited by Bob; 9th November 2017 at 17:00.

6. Link to Post #384
    Thanks

He has a walled in area, stone wall surrounding his place, which is not an open area with free wind flow. Not inside tg. Not sure the age of the motor driving the alternator, or how the exhaust is vented. He'd rather be on solar, which is why the plea for batteries that are not being horded.
    Well, he could just run some piping and pump the exhaust up over the wall, easiest fix IMO (I've seen some real creative pipe work on generator exhaust, nice baffle/muffler set ups too).

I suggested wind and he said, not enough wind due to the walled in area, solar is his only alternative he felt.
    He'd have to erect a min of a 30ft tower, 80ft being ideal... wind is just not a very good small scale producer, at least not compared to solar.

Interesting on the trucking strike blocking the FEMA shipments. Justintime, can you give me a reference where you saw or heard that? I will ask my friend to check that out personally, and see if he can reach someone who can point out that it isn't FEMA blocking shipping, but a "truckers strike"... Strange I always thought, FEMA could over-ride any "strikes" with their own transport, like being an emergency management agency.. power to get shipments in despite local blockages of "the flow".

My friend emphasized if one is willing to pay the "bribes" one could get whatever.. He can't, and won't as he feels that is wrong to have to do that.
    It's terrible, they are claiming the roads aren't clear enough for truckers to drive, so the thousands of shipping containers cannot be delivered...... truckers are driving all over my island and have been since the day after the storm, we were hit by a cat5 and suffered much worse damage than PR... no issue here.

Quote The Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration tells NPR that the government is working with the truck driver's union to find a solution for driving with downed power lines and damaged roads, and the Department of Defense says it has sent teams to work on clearing blocked streets.

Not everyone believes roadways are the problem. Roberto Ramirez Kurtz is the mayor of Cabo Rojo in southwestern Puerto Rico, which is about as far away from San Juan as you can get on the island — a 2 ½ to 3-hour drive.He says more than 5,000 homes were completely destroyed in his town, and people are running out of water and insulin. But aid and resources, "they're staying in San Juan," he says.

Kurtz was in San Juan to ask for help, and having made the trip himself, he doesn't believe that road conditions are an obstacle. "The roads are open," he says. "I've been able to come here. So why haven't we used this to [transport goods] west?"Meanwhile Juan Carlos Garcia, the mayor of Coamo in the south of the island, says the only aid his town has received is five pallets of water. "The state never came to provide diesel to the hospital," he says. People are running low on food supplies and hysteria is growing, he says.

He, too, says the roads are clear — and that he's in San Juan to ask why no aid has reached his town.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...buted-at-ports

What I see is a dirty mofia style "squeeze" perpetrated by a certain "sect" in the PR government... they are literally sacrificing themselves in hopes of greater gain (money, quasi state-hood, etc..), it's a bit disgusting.

re: the solar batteries - he said they are dead, won't take a charge. He's experienced enough in electronics (taught basic repair for students in a technical school for years), and says need the replacements. I asked about deep cycle, proper conditioner. He said how we going to get such shipped in with the inability to get them - he's not on any "priority" list to get any preferential treatment.
    Deep cycle marine batteries would work fine, I bet there's a few thousand down at Crowley right now (the major shipping company).

PR is screwing itself over... hard.
    Last edited by TargeT; 9th November 2017 at 20:11.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bob (9th November 2017), Callista (10th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (9th November 2017), justntime2learn (9th November 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (9th November 2017), Sunny (11th November 2017)

8. Link to Post #385
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Those are great suggestions TargeT - I will present to him your suggestions. He could do the piping for the exhaust, I suppose provided then his next door neighbor doesn't get all bent out of shape.

Politics. Ya, he didn't say Mafia-like, but it was clear he was worried about some sort of corruption. It appears that the teamsters group (teamster.org) is asking for volunteers to travel to PR to handle the shipping, drive the trucks..

seems the local is denying that there is a delivery problem..

"Teamsters Denounce False Reports of Work Stoppage by Union Drivers in Puerto Rico" - https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300529157.html

Quote "These viral stories spreading across the internet are nothing but lies perpetrated by anti-union entities to further their destructive agenda," said Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa. "The fact that they are attempting to capitalize on the suffering of millions of citizens in Puerto Rico that are dire need of our help by pushing these false stories, just exposes their true nature."
    ouch..

CNBC and numerous others, says the containers are stuck at port. https://www.cnbc.com/video/2017/09/2...ico-ports.html

(Crowley shipping containers with running refrigeration systems are lined up at in the port of San Juan, Puerto Rico. They've been there for days, goods locked away inside.)

9. Link to Post #386
    Thanks

Those are great suggestions TargeT - I will present to him your suggestions. He could do the piping for the exhaust, I suppose provided then his next door neighbor doesn't get all bent out of shape.
    What I'd worry about is fuel accessibility... I buy 5 gallons of fuel a night for my generator (only run it at night). and the lines at the gas station have lessened, but are still pretty nutty.

Quote "Teamsters Denounce False Reports of Work Stoppage by Union Drivers in Puerto Rico" - https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300529157.html
    Quote The main reason for the shortages is that local truck drivers have been displaced and are difficult to contact, due to fallen power lines. Puerto Rico is also dealing with blocked roads and diesel fuel shortages.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/puert...e-news-2017-10

This is a lie told to poeple who don't know whats going on... that is believable in the first week or two after the hurricane, we are now two months out... this is a bull**** excuse at this point.

I smell more political BS in this (why mention trump at all?)

the Puerto Rican Teamsters Union, Frente Amplio, is an ULTRA corrupt 1920's version of the teamsters (and we know their history...)

The left truly does control most the media,, this topic is a great example.

(Crowley shipping containers with running refrigeration systems are lined up at in the port of San Juan, Puerto Rico. They've been there for days, goods locked away inside.)[/RIGHT]
    I wouldn't say "locked away inside" I'd say "sitting there waiting for delivery".

Your friend is suffering from this ridiculous driver strike.. what a massive self inflicted wound.
    Last edited by TargeT; 9th November 2017 at 20:54.
    Where are you?

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bob (9th November 2017), Bruno (10th November 2017), Callista (10th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (9th November 2017), justntime2learn (9th November 2017), Sunny (11th November 2017)

11. Link to Post #387
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Quote Posted by Bob View Post
    (Crowley shipping containers with running refrigeration systems are lined up at in the port of San Juan, Puerto Rico. They've been there for days, goods locked away inside.)
    Quote TargeT says: I wouldn't say "locked away inside" I'd say "sitting there waiting for delivery".

Your friend is suffering from this ridiculous driver strike.. what a massive self inflicted wound.
    That quote was a caption under the picture, I didn't originate it..

Fuel shortage, absolutely.. I didn't ask him to elaborate how he is getting fuel. I do believe he is running his invertor off the car battery at the moment, and or doing smaller activities like charging up what needs charging, like his cellphone from both the car and the alternator genset.

The deep cycle marine batteries then are what he should look for.

12. Link to Post #388
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,097 times in 2,584 posts

This article states that Congress knew about theses hurricanes 2 years ago. Read about FEMA 's role(s) also. Goes along with other connections.

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative...e-3560652.html

"An alert was sent out to Puerto Ricans to get out of the country because FEMA will arrest them or even kill them
    If FEMA believes they are aliens or useless eaters."

We will find out more truth...

Here's something related: EMP outage drill...

MM
    Last edited by Michelle Marie; 10th November 2017 at 05:18.
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bruno (10th November 2017), Callista (10th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (10th November 2017), justntime2learn (10th November 2017), KiwiElf (10th November 2017)

14. Link to Post #389
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Looks like Puerto Rico's power lines are hitting another snag in getting repaired. Appears that WhiteFish Energy (Holdings LLC) is stopping rebuilding due to not being paid.

The local government was supposed to pay for work, however, it hasn't - currently owed is an amount greater than $83 million.

Quote Whitefish said in the letter that the lack of payments is a breach of the $300 million contract that the administration of Gov. Ricardo Rossello cancelled last month. Even though the contract had been cancelled, both sides agreed Whitefish would complete its current projects and remain in Puerto Rico until Nov. 30.

"There is no basis for PREPA to withhold payments from Whitefish Energy," the letter said, referring to the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority. "We have met the terms of the contract — including completing difficult work on time and under challenging conditions."

The company said Techmanski was not immediately available for comment.

Whitefish also said Monday that Florida-based utility companies working in Puerto Rico were pulling out ahead of time.
    AP source

15. Link to Post #390
    Thanks

Looks like Puerto Rico's power lines are hitting another snag in getting repaired. Appears that WhiteFish Energy (Holdings LLC) is stopping rebuilding due to not being paid.

The local government was supposed to pay for work, however, it hasn't - currently owed is an amount greater than $83 million.
    There goes PR, shooting itself in the foot again...

Mean while, 80 miles away......

Quote "With the addition of linemen who landed in the U.S. Virgin Islands in recent days, the Virgin Islands Water and Power Authority said on Monday that it would meet its projection of restoring 90 percent of the territory by Christmas 2017. Along with the linemen, WAPA also said that it’s in constant receipt of materials and supplies needed to keep the workflow constant."
    At first I thought there was no way that 90% by Xmass was going to happen, now I think it just might... we have nearly 700 "off island" linemen working 7 days a week.

FEMA (via SBA) is offering loans at 1.75% interest to home owners (up to 240,000) 3.5% for businesses and 2.25% for non profit (up to 2,000,000)......That is so far below inflation it's insane not to take the loan...

My home owners insurance came out, I only insure for structural, but he said he was "putting me in for the roof" so hopefully a roof replacement will be paid for by my insurance, the rest of the losses I'll cover with an SBA loan.

We are making some huge moves with our business, in negotiations for a 99 year lease on a 3,000 acre property that we plan on building equine educational facilities, community gardens and agricultural education facility plus "eco tourism" additions.

Busy times!

Quote Posted by Michelle Marie (here)
    "An alert was sent out to Puerto Ricans to get out of the country because FEMA will arrest them or even kill them
    If FEMA believes they are aliens or useless eaters."

We will find out more truth...
    The truth is a lot of sweat, and an insane amount of debris removal... the above sounds more than a bit paranoid.
    Last edited by TargeT; 22nd November 2017 at 17:26.
    Where are you?

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bob (22nd November 2017), Foxie Loxie (22nd November 2017), genevieve (23rd November 2017), justntime2learn (22nd November 2017), Noelle (22nd November 2017), sandy (23rd November 2017), Sunny (29th November 2017)

17. Link to Post #391
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Power restoration progress happening in Puerto Rico, finally.

Article: Fluor completes major transmission lines in Puerto Rico..

Quote IRVING, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Fluor Corporation (NYSE:FLR) confirmed today that the company, working under its contract with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) in support of a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) mission to help repair and restore the power grid in Puerto Rico, has completed work on two 115kv transmission lines between substations in Sabana Llana and Canóvanas in Puerto Rico.

Transmission lines move large amounts of electricity over long distances.

Fluor has previously completed work on multiple distribution lines, which connect to the transmission system and are part of the last stage in getting power to homes and businesses.

The completion allows the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) to re-energize lines in a major urban center that will carry electricity to large neighborhoods, churches, pharmacies, a retirement home and The Outlet Mall 66 in Canóvanas.

“We have a long history in Puerto Rico and the proven ability to respond to urgent needs,” said Matt Hunt, Fluor’s executive program director, Puerto Rico Power Restoration Project. “As a result, we have significant numbers of crews and equipment in place. Working at the direction of the Corps and in coordination with PREPA, we are proud to be delivering results to the people of Puerto Rico.”

Fluor has more than 1,800 people on the island dedicated to the restoration of power.

Fluor has a unique combination of government contingency operations, commercial power experience and a 54-year presence in the Commonwealth. The company provides design, engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning services to Puerto Rican clients in a broad range of high employment industries, including power, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, aerospace, manufacturing and food and beverage. This expertise will enable ongoing efforts to help sustain economic recovery on the island.

Quote From: December 29, 2017
    A US Energy Department official said December 19 that nearly 70% of the island's power generation capacity was back online. The federal government says data on the number of residents receiving power is no longer available.

The Army Corps of Engineers has projected that power will be restored for most people by March, but those in very remote areas might have to wait until May because of the difficulty in moving supplies.

Efforts to bring back power have been hampered by the remoteness of some residents and lack of materials.

The Army Corps of Engineers has said there's a shortage of supplies because of other natural disasters in the United States.

In a Friday tweet, the Army Corps said it had received 14,050 poles and 330 miles of conductor wire for Puerto Rico to date. About 6,000 poles and 1,200 miles of wire were scheduled to arrive in the next two weeks, the tweet said.

USACE has received 14,050 poles and 330 miles of conductor wire to date in #PuertoRico. Approximately 6,000 poles and 1,200 miles of conductor wire are slated to arrive in the next 14 days.

— USACE HQ (@USACEHQ) December 29, 2017
    In Yabucoa, a town of about 38,000 located on the southeast corner of the island, power has been partially restored, but Mayor Rafael Surillo said he thinks it will be six months before people who live in the mountains above the town will obtain power.

He said power company workers spent a month in the area but didn't have the materials to do the work.

18. Link to Post #392
    Thanks

121 days with out utility power..........

I don't think I'll make it to 6 months, but maybe?
    Where are you?

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bob (10th January 2018), Carmody (9th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (10th January 2018), genevieve (10th January 2018), Harley (10th January 2018), justntime2learn (9th January 2018), seko (10th January 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst 1 10 20