+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst 1 7 17 20 LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes: Harvey... Irma... José... Maria... Ophelia...

1. Link to Post #321
    Puerto Rico Avalon Member Virma De Ris's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Hurricanes: Harvey... Irma... José... Maria... Ophelia...

Quote The liberal media is pounding President Trump over the suffering in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.
    Quote The San Juan Mayor slammed President Trump for ignoring the suffering people of Puerto Rico.
    From this post.

So I guess Puerto Ricans deserve this?

Maybe this:

Quote The liberal media is pounding President Trump over the suffering in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.
    Quote The San Juan Mayor slammed President Trump for ignoring the suffering people of Puerto Rico.
    Happens because of things like this:

I'm outta here.
    "Nothing is true; everything is permitted."
    --from AC Series.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Virma De Ris For This Post:

Callista (5th October 2017), Fellow Aspirant (6th October 2017), Foxie Loxie (4th October 2017), justntime2learn (4th October 2017)

3. Link to Post #322
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Virma De Ris (here)
    From this post.

So I guess Puerto Ricans deserve this?

Maybe this:

Happens because of things like this:

I'm outta here.

Are we that snowflake of a nation that crap like that matters? (throwing paper towels to people who were trying to catch them when he is there to hand out supplies... do you think he should have respected the lines? what exactly is the issue with this distribution method??)

Haha, I'm a results guy, be as crass as you want while you deliver me supplies, my ego is far less important than even my comfort.. pride is a weakness, and PR residents are a very very proud people.

At least your island is getting attention, mine got hit by a full cat 5 that flattened concrete structures and there's not a much mention of the USVI.

Trump is headed here later this week however, maybe we too will benefit from his gaff's and un-P.C. behavior.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

avid (4th October 2017), Callista (5th October 2017), Fellow Aspirant (5th October 2017), fourty-two (5th October 2017), Foxie Loxie (4th October 2017), gord (6th October 2017), JRS (6th October 2017), justntime2learn (4th October 2017), KiwiElf (4th October 2017), Noelle (4th October 2017), sandy (6th October 2017)

5. Link to Post #323
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Quote Posted by Bluegreen (here)
    The owner of Snopes put his dominatrix-prostitute girlfriend in charge of fact checking
    Wow, Bluegreen. Such a classic illogical ad hominem attack. It sullies our forum.

Why don't you stick to commenting on 4chan where such thinking is mandatory?

B.
    Last edited by Fellow Aspirant; 4th October 2017 at 23:25.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Bluegreen (5th October 2017), Foxie Loxie (6th October 2017)

7. Link to Post #324
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,489 times in 10,174 posts

Quote Posted by Fellow Aspirant (here)
    The owner of Snopes put his dominatrix-prostitute girlfriend in charge of fact checking
    Wow, Bluegreen. Such a classic illogical ad hominem attack. It sullies our forum.

B.
    OK

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (5th October 2017), Foxie Loxie (6th October 2017), KiwiElf (5th October 2017)

9. Link to Post #325
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,854 times in 21,553 posts

B.
    I don't trust Snopes ... and I don't trust those who generally trust and promote Snopes.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

avid (5th October 2017), Callista (5th October 2017), Fellow Aspirant (5th October 2017), fourty-two (5th October 2017), Foxie Loxie (6th October 2017), JRS (6th October 2017), justntime2learn (5th October 2017), KiwiElf (5th October 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (5th October 2017), Sunny (5th October 2017), TargeT (5th October 2017)

11. Link to Post #326
    Thanks

B.
    OK

LOL! You kill me, Bluegreen. You have one weird sense of humour. And I know weird humour. It's one of my favourite passtimes.

B.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Bluegreen (6th October 2017), Foxie Loxie (6th October 2017)

13. Link to Post #327
    Thanks

Quote I don't trust Snopes ... and I don't trust those who generally trust and promote Snopes.
    Hi Paul

Well, of course you don't have to trust me or Snopes. I trust you, though, and likewise trust that you have done your own research and arrived at your conclusions rationally.

That said, I have been here before, justifying my use of Snopes' info to back up a claim. In my research into the site (Snopes) I find that the reaction to it falls into one of two ideologically driven camps:
    one finds the site to be a useful, although not exclusively relied on place to find thorough, well researched, info pertaining to any number of issues. That's me!
    I originally used it as a source for exposing Urban Legends for what they were, but have continued to check it occassionally as it morphed into the political realm. It still contains truth, IMHO.

And the political arena is where it has come under so much criticism, as the second camp is mostly composed of other sites and blogs that Snopes has exposed as being erroneous. These tend to be Alt-Right in their orientation and ideology. Their counterclaims of 'hoaxing' Snopes are, I believe, rooted in aggrieved hurt feelings. They are lashing back at writers who have made them look bad. Their claims of exposing lies and hidden agendas on the part of Snopes, like for example it being a site that is funded by George Soros, are without merit because they are not supported by any proof. Add to this the propensity of such bloggers and posters to 'cut & paste' these attacks, and one can pretty quickly fill the internet with what appears to be overwhelming condemnation of Snopes' intent and content. In actuality, the claims made by the bloggers are only lazy repetitions of half-baked theories that they have come across and wish to pile on with; discrediting the enemy is a pretty powerful impetus.

So yeah, I've done my research on any number of issues, including the integrity of Snopes. My conclusion is that they generally get it right, and in a very succinct way. That's what makes them so quotable.

As it turns out, the current work of Snopes is a continuation of what they have always done: putting the lie to Urban Myths.

I prefer my truth to be as unvarnished as possible, without the taint of ideological bias. To each his own, eh?

Namaste,

Brian
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 6th October 2017 at 04:10. Reason: fix quoting

Albert E.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (6th October 2017), TargeT (6th October 2017)

15. Link to Post #328
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

"When you're walking on eggs,.. don't hop"

16. Link to Post #329
    Thanks

Re:
    @ Fellow Aspirant - Coming from someone who admitted on another thread that your main source of info is Snopes, that's mildly amusing, even when given clear evidence that Snopes is one of the most unreliable sources of info around!.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...aria.../page16 - Posts #309 - 317

Respectfully,.. you (and we) are entitled to read and/or believe what we want without having you telling us what we should be believing according to your POV. No offense, but I don't believe you're qualified to judge our "sanity"? Nor are you the be-all and end-all authority on what IS or isn't REAL. Thanks!

You’re entirely welcome, KiwiElf.

As for [even when given clear evidence ] I think you meant to say [ especially ] here. And when was I given such clear evidence of anything regarding Snopes? Did I miss one of your comments somewhere?

Nope, just calling em’ as I see ‘em. Reality is very malleable. As is our notion of sanity. Everyone’s point of view is specific to them, as we all know, and opinions generated by such experience are also subjective. However, as to whether or not I am qualified to judge your sanity, I assert that I’m just as qualified as anyone else. When I wish to challenge an Avalon member’s sanity I have every right to do so. And I will continue to do so, within the bounds of decency (I hope). Yeah, I plead a mea culpa on the “b*tsh*t crazy” diction, and I apologize for any hurt feelings, but my strong reaction was and is fueled by what I consider to be outrageous claims posted here on our beloved forum. Outrageous, jaw-dropping claims that really have no place in our community’s dialogue, which for the most part is pretty rational.

I am pleading for everyone to reflect on their conclusions before posting their thoughts. Sometimes one’s convictions come from a dark and angry place that engenders an extremely negative reality, and once voiced, do tremendous collateral damage, derailing rational exchanges of ideas. As always, everyone should ask themselves "Do I think this this because I want to believe it and by doing so I will vent my anger, or do I believe this because it makes sense?"

As to my use of Snopes: That said, I have been here before, justifying my use of Snopes' info to back up a claim. ... [ Mod-edit: removed duplicate copy of the text used in another reply, a couple posts above. -- Paul. ] ... I prefer my truth to be as unvarnished as possible, without the taint of ideological bias. To each his own, eh?
    Be well,

Brian
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 6th October 2017 at 04:17. Reason: remove duplicated text, copied from a previous reply

Albert E.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (6th October 2017)

18. Link to Post #330
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I prefer my truth to be as unvarnished as possible, without the taint of ideological bias.
    Snopes may pretend to be that, but I am confident that they are not.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Callista (6th October 2017), fourty-two (6th October 2017), Foxie Loxie (6th October 2017), justntime2learn (10th October 2017), KiwiElf (6th October 2017), TargeT (6th October 2017)

20. Link to Post #331
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    I prefer my truth to be as unvarnished as possible, without the taint of ideological bias.
    Hmmm ... gut feeling, or can you provide some more solid proof?

B.

Albert E.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (6th October 2017)

22. Link to Post #332
    Language
    English
    Thanks

B.
    Neither. It's not worth my time to provide evidence. If you are a reader of Snopes and haven't realized their serious problems by now, there is nothing that I could say that would help.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (6th October 2017), justntime2learn (10th October 2017), KiwiElf (6th October 2017), TargeT (6th October 2017)

24. Link to Post #333
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

B.
    Neither. It's not worth my time to provide evidence. If you are a reader of Snopes and haven't realized their serious problems by now, there is nothing that I could say that would help.
    @ Fellow Aspirant - Re Snopes - Hervé already provided you with the proof and several sublinks on this thread - Post #315,

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...aria.../page16

... and including this one:

http://all.people.are.sheeple.fyi/Snopes

Open the link, then the sublinks that follow.
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 6th October 2017 at 04:38.

25. Link to Post #334
    Thanks

so... how about that hurricane?

Our curfew hours are 7pm to 9am.. I've been going to a local bar after work till 7 or so and helping him close up.. his kitchen has no roof or power but he's still selling pizza and alcohol; plus I know a lot of his customers so it's always fun to see who's around especially if I haven't seen them since before the storm.

Right now it seems like every 3rd person I talk to is leaving island but there's not much work (well, not much work if you don't want to get on a FEMA crew and clear roads... they are paying $20 an hour and hiring anyone it seems like), no power (and that's not changing any time soon) and everything is more difficult to do so I guess I understand that mentality.

I don't have that option with all the horses unfortunately.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

26. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

avid (9th October 2017), Bluegreen (6th October 2017), Bruno (6th October 2017), Callista (6th October 2017), Ewan (7th October 2017), fourty-two (6th October 2017), Foxie Loxie (6th October 2017), genevieve (10th October 2017), Hervé (6th October 2017), justntime2learn (10th October 2017), Kate (12th October 2017), KiwiElf (6th October 2017), Michelle Marie (11th October 2017), Noelle (6th October 2017), sandy (7th October 2017), StandingWave (10th October 2017), Sunny (7th October 2017), tessie999 (9th October 2017)

27. Link to Post #335
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Thanks for another "down-to-earth" report, TargeT. That's what we like to hear...how things are REALLY going!!

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bluegreen (6th October 2017), Callista (6th October 2017), fourty-two (6th October 2017), justntime2learn (10th October 2017), KiwiElf (6th October 2017), Michelle Marie (11th October 2017), Noelle (6th October 2017), sandy (10th October 2017), TargeT (6th October 2017)

29. Link to Post #336
    Thanks

So....how are things going NOW, TargeT? Anywheres near "normal"?!

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Callista (10th October 2017), justntime2learn (10th October 2017), Michelle Marie (11th October 2017), Noelle (9th October 2017), sandy (10th October 2017), TargeT (10th October 2017), tessie999 (9th October 2017)

31. Link to Post #337
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Foxie Loxie (here)
    So....how are things going NOW, TargeT? Anywheres near "normal"?!
    that won't be achieved for months yet, there still is no power anywhere and a curfew is in place from 8pm to 9am. the streets are very dark with no lights anywhere and there is a lot of debris to remove from the sides of the road (or the road).

Our airport was functional for a few days then "broke" for a good 2 days right after commercial flights had started up again, we had coordinated a chartered flight for 30 people's dogs to get off island (it's too hot to ship animals in cargo right now) but the flight was canceled due to the airport issues (Tim Duncan is down here right now for the same reason, he came to distribute supplies but his supply planes were delayed).

I got my first 3 days off this past weekend and Monday; but I mostly spent that time helping people and taking my kids to the water falls that appear after heavy rains (and avoid working on the mountain of projects at my place)... cell signal is starting to return but data is non-existent on the half of the island I live on. I only get internet access while at work or if I drive to a different town I hear it's there as well (haven't gone yet).
    Where are you?

32. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

avid (12th October 2017), Bluegreen (10th October 2017), Callista (11th October 2017), Calz (11th October 2017), Ewan (11th October 2017), Fellow Aspirant (12th October 2017), Foxie Loxie (10th October 2017), genevieve (10th October 2017), Hervé (10th October 2017), justntime2learn (10th October 2017), KiwiElf (10th October 2017), Michelle Marie (11th October 2017), Noelle (10th October 2017), norman (11th October 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (10th October 2017), sandy (11th October 2017), StandingWave (10th October 2017), Sunny (11th October 2017), ThePythonicCow (10th October 2017)

33. Link to Post #338
    Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to update us, TargeT!

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

avid (12th October 2017), Bluegreen (10th October 2017), Callista (11th October 2017), justntime2learn (10th October 2017), Michelle Marie (11th October 2017), Noelle (10th October 2017), ThePythonicCow (11th October 2017)

35. Link to Post #339
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 times in 1,310 posts

Overwhelming to say the least TargeT...one small step at a time does bring semblance eventually.

Sending Love and Wishes for Daily Blessings as you travel this chaotic time.
    Love and Light Always/Sandy

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Post:

Bluegreen (11th October 2017), Callista (11th October 2017), Foxie Loxie (11th October 2017), justntime2learn (11th October 2017), Noelle (11th October 2017), TargeT (11th October 2017)

37. Link to Post #340
    Thanks

We've been working with FEMA and Dept of Agriculture (local, not federal) and today are helping to distribute 41 pallets of dog food to the various organizations that help with dogs/cats around the island.

We have also secured 15 pallets of horse feed (partly via donations from places like Project Avalon, thank you!) which is at least 3 months of feed which won't have to be worried about. On top of our daily feeding routine we've added in an every-other-day sun screen application session; there is very little shade and the horses (especially those with white markings) are getting sun-burnt (some of them look pretty funny). I never thought about that before the storm but luckily we already had the needed supplies.

We had flash flooding the past two days which completely stopped the electrical workers and debris clearing crews, our curfew has been adjusted to 7pm to 9am due to road hazards (it's pretty bad,there's large electric wires hanging everywhere, you can easily avoid them during the day but at night it's pretty hard.. there's been a few bad accidents).

Domestic abuse cases are up as people don't have many opportunities for stress relief and are stuck at houses with no power; there are radio adds telling people how to deal with stress (not sure if that helps or not).

On the bright side the "sticks" that our trees and "bush" turned into are now turning green.. it looks a bit strange but at least it doesn't look like an apocalyptic wasteland. I'll probably work on a video or something to show a bit of the past few weeks but I'm not super motivated right now.. I've only had 3 days off since the 3rd of last month... I need a vacation from this (these?) disaster... haha
    Where are you?

38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bruno (12th October 2017), Callista (16th October 2017), Foxie Loxie (12th October 2017), Hervé (12th October 2017), justntime2learn (12th October 2017), Kate (12th October 2017), Noelle (12th October 2017), sandy (15th October 2017), Sunny (13th October 2017), ThePythonicCow (13th October 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst 1 7 17 20 LastLast