+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help Wanted: How to do good research.

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,025 times in 2,396 posts

Default Help Wanted: How to do good research.

I've just discovered I'm rubbish at researching something, tbh, I'd never really tried before. So I'd like some advice and pointers from more established or experienced researchers just how to go about getting into a topic.

(That's the post in a nutshell, you don't need to read any of the rest if you want to answer that. )

---------------------

A couple of weeks back I waded through Dave McGowan's writings on Laurel Canyon and found myself wondering about the Hip-Hop explosion. A month earlier I'd watched Straight Outta Compton, which I've subsequently watched twice more.

I saw a clip of Ice Cube on one of the chat shows claiming that the real story about the police disruption and arrests in Detriot, following the band playing the controversial "**** the Police!", had simply been an exercise to get the bands autographs for teenage daughters and the like. (A reveal I thought was an absolute lie incidentally.)

Suge Knight hints at possibly killing Easy-E in this clip from the Jimmy Kimmel show

A cast of colourful characters, where to start researching. I decided to try Jerry Heller

Straight away I note he was ex-army, so I went searching for army records, what role did he play in the army. I hit a brick wall immediately. How the heck do you search army records? I found one site which appeared to be capable of doing it, ancestry.com.

My search results failed to turn up anyone with that exact name - but it wasn't really army records, was it?

Heller released a book, Ruthless: A Memoir where he claims With regards to the FBI letter sent - "that the letter was actually a rogue action by a "single pissed-off bureaucrat with a bully pulpit" named Milt Ahlerich, who was falsely purporting to represent the FBI as a whole and that the action "earned him a transfer to the Bureau's backwater Hartford office"

Quote Did Jerry Heller Actually Cheat N.W.A?

An independent jornalist writes....

Ben Westhoff , Contributor
    I am a journalist who specializes in music and culture.

Jerry Heller made N.W.A famous. Either that or he destroyed them. It depends on whom you ask.

Heller’s death this past Friday brought his name back into the news. Obituaries noted that he was already a 40-something veteran of the music industry when he began managing N.W.A in the late ‘80s, and that he was the subject of much controversy. Indeed, as I interviewed the group’s members and associates for my book, Original Gangstas: The Untold Story of Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, Ice Cube, Tupac Shakur, and the Birth of West Coast Rap (Hachette Books, Sept. 13, 2016), people split right down the middle on Heller.

Many insiders assert his critical role in the development of N.W.A. There’s a reason, they say, the group became an international phenomenon, while other gangsta rappers of the era didn’t. Others practically spit at the mention of his name. After Ice Cube left the act in 1989 he suggested in his song “No Vaseline” they “put a bullet in his temple.”

The root of the dispute are assertions leveled by Cube and Dr. Dre – who left the group two years later – that Heller, in cahoots with Ruthless’ owner Eazy-E, did not give them a fair shake financially. “Ice Cube wanted to continue with N.W.A, but he just wasn’t getting paid,” Cube’s lawyer Michael Ashburn told Spin in 1991. “Look man I’m not dealing with Jerry Heller anymore. I don’t want him in my mixture,” Dre told Eazy shortly before leaving Ruthless, alleging that his royalty rates were too low.

It’s thus taken as gospel among many N.W.A fans that Heller was simply another in a long line of corrupt, white record company men. They haven’t hesitated to regale him with anti-Semitic insults. When Heller appeared on the Murder Master Music Show internet radio program in 2013, a caller referred to him as a “shylock.” He returned to the show a year later, and a different listener called him a “shylock” again. (The hosts were not amused.)

While digging through court records reporting my book, however, I noticed something curious. Neither Ice Cube nor Dr. Dre bothered suing Heller for financial malfeasance. I decided to investigate further in order to answer the question: Did Heller actually cheat anyone in N.W.A?

I had a chance to visit Heller before he died, in 2014, at his Calabasas, California home. Forty minutes West from downtown L.A. if there’s no traffic (although there always is), Calabasas features grandiose swimming setups, soulless architecture, and celebrities who inhabit both of those qualities. Then 73, Heller wore the effects of time and a combative career; his face drooped, his white hair had thinned, and he walked tentatively. He declined to let me turn on my recorder, but agreed to talk to me about subjects including the allegations of financial impropriety. When my grandmother died a year later, he expressed his condolences. I ended up finding him simultaneously cold and quite generous.

Not surprisingly, he insisted he didn’t steal a dime. “It’s the most ridiculous allegation I’ve ever heard,” he said.

Still, Heller didn’t dispute that, when Cube left N.W.A in 1989, he wasn’t exactly living like a rap star. In fact, he was still living with his parents in South Central Los Angeles—doing the dishes and everything. This despite the fact that he was a performer and songwriter on both N.W.A’s debut Straight Outta Compton and Eazy-E’s Eazy- Duz-It, both released in 1988, and which would sell more than five million albums combined. By the middle of 1989 Cube had received $32,700 in album royalties, and a bit less than that amount for performing on N.W.A’s first national tour.

This might not sound like a lot of money, but Heller countered that delays between album sales and artist payouts are common, and reasonably noted that Cube had profited millions from Straight Outta Compton in the decades since its release. David Kronemyer, a longtime record company executive who worked with Ruthless, seconded this assertion. “It takes a long time and most artists never recoup. Ice Cube did, in fact, recoup in this situation, it just took a long time,” he said. Heller claimed that both his and Cube’s legal teams audited Ruthless’s accounting, and found no irregularities.

Dr. Dre, meanwhile, produced platinum and gold albums for Ruthless artists J. J. Fad, N.W.A, Eazy-E, D.O.C., and Michel’le in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, generating tens of millions of dollars in sales. It’s unclear how much Dre was paid in total, but Heller told Rolling Stone Dre made about $86,000 from Ruthless in 1992, a figure that seems almost comically low. “[Eazy] took advantage of me not knowing the record business back in the day,” Dre said. He also blamed Heller for the skewed contracts he signed.

But considering he didn’t sue, it seems most likely that Dre was not being cheated, at least from a legal perspective. More likely Dre had simply signed an unfavorable deal, one that undervalued his contributions. It would make sense, considering that Dre’s assistant Bruce Williams said in his memoir Rollin' with Dre that Dre hated dealing with the business aspect of the music business. “He wouldn’t do no paperwork,” Williams wrote.

Still, legality aside, Eazy and Heller probably could have done more to accommodate their franchise player when he complained about money. Doug Young, N.W.A’s promoter, and a relatively neutral third‑party observer, thinks Ruthless should have simply torn up their agreement with Dre. “Let’s renegotiate these contracts,” Young believes they should have said. “I don’t want to lose you.”

Heller, in his memoir Ruthless, noted that he tried to sweeten the pot for Dre in other ways. He attempted to create a sublabel for him through Warner that, he said, would have paid Dre a $2 million advance. But the deal fell through. In the end, Dre bolted from Ruthless for Death Row, reeling off a string of hits with artists like Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur.

Eazy-E died of AIDS in 1995. Shortly before his death, he severed ties with Heller. Some who were close to Eazy claimed he told them Heller was engaged in financial shenanigans.

Ruthless rapper B.G. Knocc Out said Eazy showed him company documents. “He had records from where money was missing from the label—millions of dollars that he said Jerry was stealing from him,” he told HipHopDX. Yet, others insisted that Heller did no such thing. “Jerry was always Eazy-E’s protector,” another rapper signed to Ruthless, Toker, told me, adding that Eazy nonetheless blamed Jerry in part for Cube’s and Dre’s departures. (Heller denied the allegations.)

The 2015 N.W.A biopic Straight Outta Compton portrays Eazy’s widow, Tomica Woods-Wright, going through company books and looking for evidence of Jerry’s malfeasance. She is credited as a producer of the film, alongside Dre and Cube and others. Before his death, Heller was suing the filmmakers for defamation.

But even after his passing, Heller remains on trial with N.W.A fans. It’s hard to say he deserves this treatment, however. Though he may not have always been easy to get along with, with his help N.W.A became one of the most beloved and enduring rap groups in history. If he cheated or stole from any of its members, I’ve seen no evidence.
    The University of Southern California presumably has records also, what did jerry Heller study there?
    Again, brick wall. No indication on how to look through previous years student lists, probably private information?

Perhaps the problem is I just don't know how to use search engines effectively?

One things for sure, some of the surviving main characters are multi-millionaires now and a firm part of the establishment despite the early authenticity of the lyrics they produced. Would anyone of them tell the truth about anything if it threatened their current status. Of course I'm not accusing any of NWA of being anything other than they were, they probably wouldn't know if there was a hidden story behind their success. Some claim the music industry is completely controlled, so were NWA (& HipHop) a genuine phenomenon quickly capitalised on or was there a deeper story that led to their promotion.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Basho (31st August 2017), Billy (30th August 2017), Bluegreen (29th August 2017), BMJ (30th August 2017), ceetee9 (30th August 2017), Hervé (31st August 2017), Innocent Warrior (31st August 2017), justntime2learn (30th August 2017), meeradas (1st September 2017), Mike (29th August 2017), Nasu (29th August 2017), Omni (10th September 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), TargeT (30th August 2017), we-R-one (30th August 2017), Wind (30th August 2017), Zampano (29th August 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

Default Re: Help Wanted: How to do good research.

i don't know bro, i found the answer on first page of google search, and didn't have to open the link

i googled "what did jerry heller study at university socal"

The answer is business...
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

Bluegreen (29th August 2017), BMJ (30th August 2017), Ewan (29th August 2017), Innocent Warrior (31st August 2017), meeradas (1st September 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), we-R-one (30th August 2017), Zampano (29th August 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 353 posts

Quote The answer is business...
    Unfortunately
    Last edited by Zampano; 29th August 2017 at 19:22.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zampano For This Post:

Bluegreen (29th August 2017), BMJ (30th August 2017), Innocent Warrior (31st August 2017), meeradas (1st September 2017), mojo (30th August 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), thunder24 (29th August 2017), we-R-one (30th August 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 720 posts

Ewan, good question because the info/disinfo soup is getting murkier by the minute. Worse, you'll get completely different answers of who to trust or not from anyone you ask, so that means you're on your own for a while until things start sorting out for you.

I know it doesn't sound fun, but I think the only realistic answer to your question is to realize that you are at the beginning a long process of randomly trodding through endless open doors and sorting the true from the untrue for yourself.

My big advice however is to 1. Let go of ALL your preconceived notions about everything, and 2. Do not buy into ANYTHING or ANYONE at first face value. Look at your research as building a warehouse of more and more file cabinets for different subjects as they come up. File the stuff that seems plausible on the top and the stuff that hits you as suspicious on the bottom. Over time, your file cabinets will accumulate more and more either supportive or unsupportive data for the subject on the top or bottom. And over time, you'll be developing a sense of trust of which sources are more trustworthy or not. At that point you'll find more kindred spirits who agree with your findings and you'll be more able to trust their recommended sources.

I'd love to save you a lot of time and steer you away from sources I have come to believe are very clever disinfo people and sites, but even if I'm correct it would interfere with an education process you can only get by trodding through them yourself.

Good luck!
    Last edited by waves; 29th August 2017 at 21:03.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to waves For This Post:

Bluegreen (29th August 2017), BMJ (30th August 2017), ceetee9 (30th August 2017), Ewan (29th August 2017), Innocent Warrior (31st August 2017), mojo (30th August 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), thunder24 (29th August 2017), Tintin (30th August 2017), we-R-one (30th August 2017), Wind (30th August 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,384 times in 10,153 posts

I'm no expert, but I have found success. Having said that:

Type different phrases into the search engine. Creativity can bring surprises. Of course you know that putting quotation marks around your word or words narrows the search, if that's what you want to do. Go to page six, page ten, etc. Even if the trail seems to have gone cold, you may find a lone golden nugget sitting there on page twelve. We know that google front-loads their first few pages according to their agenda, and the chances are that whatever it is you're looking for is something google 'doesn't want you to know'. If you find something that strikes you as odd during the course of your reading, pursue it. Although going off on a tangent can be a dead end, it can also be rewarding.

Glad to see you posting again Ewan

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Basho (31st August 2017), BMJ (30th August 2017), ceetee9 (30th August 2017), Ewan (29th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (30th August 2017), Innocent Warrior (31st August 2017), mojo (30th August 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), Tintin (30th August 2017), we-R-one (30th August 2017), Wind (30th August 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thunder24 (here)
    i don't know bro, i found the answer on first page of google search, and didn't have to open the link

Well there you go, as I said in my post Perhaps the problem is I just don't know how to use search engines effectively?

I had no idea you could just type a question out like that. Feeling rather foolish now.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bluegreen (29th August 2017), BMJ (30th August 2017), Daozen (31st August 2017), Foxie Loxie (30th August 2017), Innocent Warrior (31st August 2017), Omni (10th September 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), thunder24 (29th August 2017), we-R-one (30th August 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,231 times in 941 posts

Bill Ryan once put out a Google search tips and tricks link or was it a document? I forget which. But it basically stated Google is a hell of lot more powerful than we often think it is. Most of us use Google only in the most superficial of ways. If someone doesn't get there before me I'll see if I can dig it out. I have a bit of a research background albeit in ivory tower academic environments, but I will say to never underestimate the value of contacting people directly.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Bluegreen (30th August 2017), Ewan (31st August 2017), Foxie Loxie (30th August 2017), Innocent Warrior (31st August 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), Tintin (2nd September 2017), we-R-one (30th August 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/tec...ficiently.html

And my favorite time killer..... search “Atari Breakout” (without quotes) on Google Images and enjoy.

For the best results when researching, follow "side stories" for deeper correlation, and follow every path that seems relevant as far as you can go, it's amazing where you can find corroborating info.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

16. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

avid (30th August 2017), Billy (1st September 2017), Bluegreen (30th August 2017), BMJ (1st September 2017), Ewan (31st August 2017), Foxie Loxie (30th August 2017), genevieve (31st August 2017), Innocent Warrior (31st August 2017), Inversion (31st August 2017), meeradas (1st September 2017), muxfolder (1st September 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), syrwong (1st September 2017), thunder24 (30th August 2017), Tintin (2nd September 2017), uzn (31st August 2017), we-R-one (30th August 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,384 times in 10,153 posts

"Advanced Google Search Techniques" - Bill Ryan

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...ps#post1071495

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Billy (1st September 2017), BMJ (1st September 2017), Ewan (31st August 2017), genevieve (31st August 2017), happyuk (30th August 2017), Hervé (31st August 2017), Innocent Warrior (31st August 2017), Omni (10th September 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), we-R-one (30th August 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,231 times in 941 posts

Splendid thank you.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Bluegreen (30th August 2017), Innocent Warrior (31st August 2017), Omni (10th September 2017), we-R-one (30th August 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,827 times in 1,436 posts

I’ve been researching since 2009…skill sets that have helped are the ability to read tremendous amounts of material in a variety of topics, patience and having a good memory is key. Once you’re in a rabbit hole, don’t get out, stay in it as long as you can to keep the momentum going especially if you’ve found a lead. Try to follow your intuition. Spend as much free time reading and studying as you can on as many topics as possible. Having a large knowledge base will be helpful in the future. Keep an open mind and malleable belief system. The Google search engine is a useful tool and you can input endless word combinations to find the information you seek. Create folders with topics of interest and save data you think might be useful in the future. You will be overwhelmed…..any good researcher will tell you, they don’t know ‘jack’, so when you get to the point where the same feeling overtakes you, you’ll know you’re on the right track.

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

In the end a good reseacher always follows his/her intuition. The rest of the skillsets can be aquire along the way... Such as discernment, logical reasoning (GIGO = garbage in, garbage out), diligence, having the patience and ability to digest and analyze large amounts of information while with your intuition being able to separate wheat from the chaff, cross referencing things from multiple sources etc. Also there will always be greater researchers who can help or inspire you on your journey.

Question everything, believe nothing. Keep and open mind while not being foolish, also stay somewhat skeptical without turning into a skeptic.

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Bluegreen (31st August 2017), BMJ (1st September 2017), Ewan (31st August 2017), Foxie Loxie (3rd September 2017), genevieve (31st August 2017), Innocent Warrior (31st August 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), we-R-one (31st August 2017)

24. Link to Post #13
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,554 times in 3,482 posts

Not foolish at all, Ewan, this is a very helpful topic.

Other members have already covered what I'd have said, I'll just add this article which lists advanced Google seach commands (likely covered in the video Target posted but in print for easy reference). Research is time consuming, this will help make it more efficient - https://www.lifewire.com/advanced-google-search-3482174
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 31st August 2017 at 00:17.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Bluegreen (31st August 2017), BMJ (1st September 2017), Ewan (31st August 2017), Foxie Loxie (3rd September 2017), genevieve (31st August 2017), Hervé (31st August 2017), Omni (10th September 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), we-R-one (31st August 2017), Wind (31st August 2017)

26. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Rachel (here)
    Not foolish at all, Ewan, this is a very helpful topic.

Other members have already covered what I'd have said, I'll just add this article which lists advanced Google seach commands (likely covered in the video Target posted but in print for easy reference). Research is time consuming, this will help make it more efficient - https://www.lifewire.com/advanced-google-search-3482174
    Here’s a handy-dandy reference chart from that link. Just drag it to your desktop, or ‘control-click’.

27. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st August 2017), Billy (1st September 2017), Bluegreen (31st August 2017), Ewan (31st August 2017), genevieve (31st August 2017), happyuk (31st August 2017), Hervé (31st August 2017), meeradas (1st September 2017), muxfolder (1st September 2017), Omni (10th September 2017), Perdido (31st August 2017), thunder24 (31st August 2017), uzn (31st August 2017), we-R-one (31st August 2017)

28. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    Quote Posted by thunder24 (here)

Well there you go, as I said in my post Perhaps the problem is I just don't know how to use search engines effectively?

I had no idea you could just type a question out like that. Feeling rather foolish now.

Did you know that if you go to lmgtfy.com - (i.e, Let me google that for you)…magic happens?

Click the link and watch what happens after I typed in - what did jerry heller study at university socal
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 31st August 2017 at 02:11.

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st August 2017), Billy (1st September 2017), Bluegreen (31st August 2017), Ewan (31st August 2017), Foxie Loxie (31st August 2017), genevieve (31st August 2017), happyuk (31st August 2017), Hervé (31st August 2017), thunder24 (31st August 2017), we-R-one (31st August 2017)

30. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member ljwheat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,570 times in 870 posts

WOW, really? In a time or really has been no time in our past that fake news, education, history, constantly has been re written or changed, to lead the lead able down the road of change according to ,,, those who control this planet threw out the ages. doing a search only 10 years ago and today, things mysteriously happen, education is the leading place to see, what was and now gone, or switch in meaning or just vanishes all together. Google is now in the forefront of censorship, and Wikipedia not far behind. So ya its getting very hard to research , Archives even vanish. ..
    Paintings that I have created over the last 35 years >Gallery https://projectavalon.net/forum4/album.php?albumid=587< or here at ACC http://www.ashtarcommandcrew.net/gro...-or-collection

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ljwheat For This Post:

Ewan (31st August 2017), Foxie Loxie (31st August 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), thunder24 (31st August 2017), we-R-one (31st August 2017)

32. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)

Click the link and watch what happens after I typed in - what did jerry heller study at university socal
    Oh sh*t, wow! My post is the 6th link found on Google. I feel so exposed, I'm never posting anything on the internet again, ever!

I knew I wasn't paranoid, they really are tracking everything I do.

------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------

Some great replies, thank you very much everyone for your input.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (1st September 2017), Innocent Warrior (1st September 2017), ljwheat (31st August 2017), RunningDeer (31st August 2017), uzn (1st September 2017), we-R-one (31st August 2017)

34. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 times in 1,747 posts

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    Oh sh*t, wow! My post is the 6th link found on Google. I feel so exposed, I'm never posting anything on the internet again, ever!

I knew I wasn't paranoid, they really are tracking everything I do.
    Let me help you with the Paranoia and just crank it up a little bit
    Check this out:
    SPEAKE(a)R: Turn Speakers to Microphones for Fun and Profit
    It is possible to manipulate the headphones (or earphones) connected to a computer, silently turning them into a pair of eavesdropping microphones - with software alone. The same is also true for some types of loudspeakers. This paper focuses on this threat in a cyber-security context. We present SPEAKE(a)R, a software that can covertly turn the headphones connected to a PC into a microphone. We present technical background and explain why most of PCs and laptops are susceptible to this type of attack. We examine an attack scenario in which malware can use a computer as an eavesdropping device, even when a microphone is not present, muted, taped, or turned off. We measure the signal quality and the effective distance, and survey the defensive countermeasures.

Source:
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.07350
    Techpaper:
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/1611.07350

That pretty much means any Spyware/Programm/Driver can switch Input and Output channel for Audio. Funny that to get the "Intel HD Audio" certificate the Driver has to be able to switch the two channels.
    Only Thing were it does not work that simple at the moment are Bluetooth-headphone and if the signal goes through a big amplifier. Hardware amplifiers let the signal just pass in one direction (not reversable by software).

Happy listening Ewan
    Last edited by uzn; 1st September 2017 at 06:55.

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Ewan (1st September 2017), Foxie Loxie (1st September 2017), Hervé (1st September 2017), Reinhard (1st September 2017), RunningDeer (1st September 2017), TargeT (1st September 2017)

36. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Quite a few months ago I was listening to a video here on Avalon when a voice broke in & said a virus had been found on my computer, to call the number shown on the screen!! Is this the type of thing you are talking about? Being "computer illiterate", I emailed the Mods to find out what to do. Paul emailed me to never call a number I hadn't solicited myself. Had helicopters over head during the day as well, which is unusual for the country setting where I live.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

BMJ (1st September 2017), Ewan (2nd September 2017), Hervé (1st September 2017), RunningDeer (1st September 2017)

38. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 times in 1,747 posts

Quote Posted by Foxie Loxie (here)
    Quite a few months ago I was listening to a video here on Avalon when a voice broke in & said a virus had been found on my computer, to call the number shown on the screen!! Is this the type of thing you are talking about? Being "computer illiterate", I emailed the Mods to find out what to do. Paul emailed me to never call a number I hadn't solicited myself. Had helicopters over head during the day as well, which is unusual for the country setting where I live.
    It sais that if there is a microphone connected to your Computer everybody can listen in. Most Laptops come with a microphone built in.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (3rd September 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast