+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does taking nutritonal supplements improve health?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,114 times in 807 posts

Default Does taking nutritonal supplements improve health?

One uneasy question is once I start to take nutritonal supplements, will I be able to stop it without side effect of health?
    For free society!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

DeDukshyn (8th September 2017), Mike (8th September 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 times in 404 posts

Default Re: Does taking nutritonal supplements improve health?

Why would you want to start taking them and then stop?

As one ages the most important factor in supplement intake is when during the day are the supplements taken. Second most important is adding colloidal minerals to the mix. If you start and then stop there will be some downside but not that great at first. With time the effect of not taking them increases.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enigma3 For This Post:

Bubu (9th September 2017), findingneo (8th September 2017), Mike (8th September 2017), Unicorn (10th September 2017), yelik (8th September 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Hughe (here)
    One uneasy question is once I start to take nutritonal supplements, will I be able to stop it without side effect of health?
    The quality (in the sense of form) and correct dosages for each supplement molecule is key. If one asks me whether they should take a one-a-day multi from their grocery store, I would tell them no. Don't bother,it's complete garbage. For one, you can't get adequate amounts of any vitamin in a single "one-a-day" formulation - second, in their attempt to cram more vitamins into one pill, they use the least bioavailable forms (higher density) to do so and you just end up pissing it all away. Thirdly, many of the inexpensive vitamins and "one-a-day"s are made by big pharma. The often put unbalanced ratios or synthetic forms (not all synthetic forms are bad but some are) with the intention that they will eventually make you unhealthy over the long term. Bayer's use of a synthetic single molecule of vitamin E in their formulas will eventually put stress on your heart over long term - Vitamin E is four molecules in each of two distinct groups for a total complex of eight different molecules - you need all eight - an inbalance causes issues in your body. Bayer knows this.

Another example;:taking "calcium" for your bones is almost useless. Bones are not made from calcium alone and cannot be made from calcium alone. You need vitamins D to absorb the calcium properly, and you need all the other supporting minerals -- if you are deficient in one or some, bone simply cannot be made.

There is a bit of science to supplementation, if you want it to work well for you. Stopping won't cause any major health issues, unless doing so causes you to become deficient in one or some vitamins / minerals (poor nutrition).

Here's some good reading on the topic ...

https://drnibber.com/the-smart-consu...s-supplements/

https://drnibber.com/the-smart-consu...ements-part-2/

https://drnibber.com/a-critical-asse...tamin-reviews/
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 8th September 2017 at 16:08.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

angelfire (8th September 2017), Bubu (9th September 2017), CurEus (9th September 2017), Ernie Nemeth (8th September 2017), fourty-two (8th September 2017), Mike (8th September 2017), Perdido (9th September 2017), sandy (11th September 2017), tessie999 (10th September 2017), yelik (8th September 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 times in 297 posts

Quote Posted by Hughe (here)
    A medical doctor told me not to abruptly stop massive Vitamin C. Just take a week to wean yourself off gradually.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marikins For This Post:

Bubu (9th September 2017), enigma3 (8th September 2017), Ernie Nemeth (8th September 2017), Mike (8th September 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Slovenia Avalon Member BlueMoon's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think you'll experience withdrawal symptoms like the abstinence crisis that comes with taking heroin or other hard drugs, if that's what you're asking

It is possible though that the body gets used to the increased intake and as a response, your organs stop producing this thing that is now readily available to your body because of the pills/whatever you're taking. One example is insulin - if you start taking it, your body slowly starts producing less and less insulin on its own and you end up being dependent on the additional insulin intake, because the organ responsible for production of insulin just doesn't produce it anymore. I don't know if this happens with any minerals or vitamins as well, but my point being: don't overdo it. You're supposed to get everything your body needs from your food. Supplements are meant to help you, not to replace a healthy diet.

It can also happen that supplements will "lose their power" over time, because if you have already taken enough supplements to support your body, taking more than what's needed just doesn't make any difference.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon For This Post:

Bubu (9th September 2017), DeDukshyn (9th September 2017), Ernie Nemeth (8th September 2017), Mike (8th September 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

If you take whole food based supplements you are ok to stop, but don't. Supplementation is essential considering the poor quality factory farmed foods we're offered. The nutrient content has plummeted in the last few decades. Don't take synthetic vitamins, only raw, whole form, food based versions. There are a few high quality brands, but in my opinion Standard Process is the premier supplement company in the world. Others may be as good, but none are better. If you take whole food based supplements there is no risk of overdoing it. Some care of course should be taken. too much of one can hinder absorption of others. Vit C and iron. Zinc and copper. There are others.

Considering the number of toxins and poisons in the environment it is also necessary to take supplements other than vitamins and minerals. Many herbs and spices are wonderful additions. And check out the herbal concoctions that could be described as adaptogens. They seem to do whatever is needed in the body at the time ingested. Shilajit, Ashwagandha, Rhodiola Rosea, Ginseng Eleuthero, Astragalus, and others. Shilagit and CoQ10 together is a great cocktail for mitochondrial support.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Bubu (9th September 2017), enigma3 (8th September 2017), Ernie Nemeth (8th September 2017), Foxie Loxie (8th September 2017), Mike (8th September 2017), Perdido (9th September 2017), Unicorn (10th September 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Slovenia Avalon Member BlueMoon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Supplementation is essential considering the poor quality factory farmed foods we're offered.
    You know that does depend on where you live and where you get your food from. I would not say supplementation is essential. You just have to know what your body needs and where/how to get it. Growing your own food is also an option, you can grow a lot of vegetables in your own apartment as well, if you don't own any land or cannot have an outdoor garden for the purpose of growing food.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon For This Post:

Bubu (9th September 2017), Ernie Nemeth (8th September 2017), Foxie Loxie (8th September 2017), Mike (8th September 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

I was into mega doses of supplements back in the eighties. I was taking some fifty pills a day. I was following the protocol of scientists Dirk Peterson and Sandy Shaw in the book Life Extension. I stopped after several months without any ill effects.

Almost all supplements require certain amino acids in order to be properly absorbed by the body. The two most important of these is zinc and selenium. The most effective of all these supplements for me was L-cysteine, a brain enhancer and B2, riboflavin - the anti-nicotine vitamin (it is the opposite handed chemical to nicotine).

There are many books out there, at least from the past, on the subject. Unfortunately, the big medical and pharmaceutical companies have implemented a tactic, supported by most governments, to not allow any curative or palliative claims for any natural vitamins or supplements. This has resulted in a paucity of official information regarding the use of supplements.

This topic is also represented here in many threads. I looked up vitamins and supplements and found a few vague hits. None I thought was adequate for linking here. Maybe some other member could find a better link
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bubu (9th September 2017), CurEus (9th September 2017), Foxie Loxie (8th September 2017), Mike (8th September 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,100 times in 2,403 posts

Quote Posted by enigma3 (here)
    Why would you want to start taking them and then stop?

As one ages the most important factor in supplement intake is when during the day are the supplements taken. Second most important is adding colloidal minerals to the mix. If you start and then stop there will be some downside but not that great at first. With time the effect of not taking them increases.
    Cost springs to mind.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

BlueMoon (8th September 2017), Bubu (9th September 2017), enigma3 (8th September 2017), Mike (8th September 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,606 times in 5,714 posts

The *right* nutritional supplements will improve your health. Nutritional supplements saved my life.

I got my Dad to take some q10 after years of suggesting it. But he went out and got the dry capsules (bad choice, gel caps are vastly superior) and it was some sh!tty brand from Walgreens or something. Of course it didn't help.

I can't say anything here that Duk can't say better, but I would suggest 1) take a liquid or gel cap whenever possible. 2) find a reputable brand with some history behind it. 3) make sure you take enough of it to make a real difference, and don't miss days..especially when you're starting out.

Stopping a supplement abruptly after taking it for some time has never represented any kind of danger to me at all. I can only speak for myself

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

BlueMoon (8th September 2017), Bubu (9th September 2017), Daozen (10th September 2017), DeDukshyn (9th September 2017), Ernie Nemeth (8th September 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Because of vested interests, the information on supplements is mixed with facts and propaganda in equal measures.

You cannot get enough supplements in your diet: this is true to a great extent for many reasons. Our food production is so poor these days, because of chemical fertilizers and pesticides and bad soil quality, so our plants are not taking up the minerals from the soil they need to produce healthy vegetation. And, they take up the poisons in the soil that further leech the good stuff out of the plant - or counter its healthful effects.

Also, supplements come in two forms, oil and water soluble. Oil soluble supplements (vitamin 'A', 'E', etc.) are far more dangerous because they can build up in the system and cause deleterious effects. Since the body is 76% water, water soluble supplements flush from the body in a matter of a few hours and are almost impossible to overdose on (Like vitamin 'C', 'K', etc.).

Mega doses of supplements is a way to help the body repaired damage quicker and to stop damage from occurring in the first place. Such a regimen has further health effects like improved brain function, more energy, longer life, stronger bones, larger muscles, and many more.

Another interesting fact is that although supplements can bring back health they are far more potent if taken before damage is done to keep health at an optimum level.

These days I take no supplements other than mega doses of 'C' (500 - 1000grams/ dose, up to three times a day) and only when I'm feeling blah or someone near me is sick.
    I get all my supplements by eating a variety of vegetables and fruits.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

BlueMoon (8th September 2017), Bubu (9th September 2017), DeDukshyn (9th September 2017), Mike (8th September 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,606 times in 5,714 posts

Hi Ernie, nice post brother.

I love the idea of whole foods. Love it. And I inherently dislike the idea of isolated nutrients.

But isolated nutrients saved my life. Literally. Q10, carnitine , magnesium and ribose (note: be careful with magnesium guys. I was so deficient when I took my first capsule that I went into a sort of shock)

Any time I've tried those super green powder whole food supps , I just crapped them right out 20 mins later. They did nothing for me. And I want them so badly to work! I love the idea of getting nutrients in proper ratios with all the complimentary vitamins and minerals and all that. But for me, 1 coq10 gel cap is more effective than a whole bin of that stuff.

We're all different. Our bodies need different things. For me, the isolated nutrients have worked wonders

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

BlueMoon (8th September 2017), Bubu (9th September 2017), Ernie Nemeth (8th September 2017)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

The thing with isolated nutrients (love the phrase) is that the life force is low in most of them. Fresh foods have a thing no one understands - the life force. This force seems to reside in the food for a varying but limited amount of time.

When taking mega doses I could feel the 'robotic' effects of these minerals without the life force presence. It did not feel all that good at all. And like you said, it took weeks to adjust my system to their harsh effects on my digestion. Baking soda was the way to calm the stomach, but the evacuation was - not fun. That went away after the first few weeks but the 'robotic' effect did not. I felt the positive effects but the 'wrongness' continued to play on my mind. I finally decided that the body is not a robot or a machine and so it should not be treated as one. I went for fresh whole foods and the copious amounts of life force in those foods.

Never looked back either. I can tell the amount of life force in a food just by being near it and the taste, well, there is nothing better in this reality (maybe a few things are...)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bubu (9th September 2017), Mike (8th September 2017)

27. Link to Post #14
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,648 times in 1,188 posts

I would say taking supplements in a random manner is probably a waste of time

Even eating the best organic diet there are still insufficient nutrients due to modern farming practices and food production. Virtually all foods are contaminated, especially fish.

I follow Dr Lawrence Wilson’s program which is based on 50 years of research. It combines diet and supplements to nutritionally balance your bodies essential minerals as well as detoxifying the body and mind.

If you go on his full program your supplements are based on hair mineral analyses and your current health. The strength and purity of the supplements is very important so they are all manufactured to his specification by certain labs.

Having been on the program for just over a year I for one find it amazing. I believe his approach to health and wellbeing is many years ahead of others it does require a leap of faith and commitment because it took me about 6 months to adjust to the diet and ween myself off all foods which do not benefit the body. Both myself and son are on his full program which costs around £200/month for supplements and hair analyses every three months. You also have regular contact with your practitioner from the program who is highly trained and helpful.

In the meantime, here’s a free program that he has made available to get people started if they are interested.

http://www.drlwilson.com/ARTICLES/HE...FESTYLE.htm#NU

The basic idea behind this program is that any food you eat is nutritious, clean and as fee from toxins as possible as well as being easy to digest. Once you achieve that your body has free energy at the cellular level to start healing itself. In the early days of the program your body retraces numerous ailments as you heal, your body picks them off in its own order.

If anyone is interested I can put you in touch with my practitioner who’s in Canada, I’m UK. She’s an ex researcher from high end Pharma sector who saw the light and had to leave the sector. She spent two years researching Dr Wilson's work trying to find holes in it. Instead she was amazed the more she understood it.
    Last edited by yelik; 8th September 2017 at 19:20.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yelik For This Post:

Bubu (9th September 2017), Ernie Nemeth (8th September 2017), Mike (8th September 2017)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Hi Ernie, nice post brother.

I love the idea of whole foods. Love it. And I inherently dislike the idea of isolated nutrients.

But isolated nutrients saved my life. Literally. Q10, carnitine , magnesium and ribose (note: be careful with magnesium guys. I was so deficient when I took my first capsule that I went into a sort of shock)

Any time I've tried those super green powder whole food supps , I just crapped them right out 20 mins later. They did nothing for me. And I want them so badly to work! I love the idea of getting nutrients in proper ratios with all the complimentary vitamins and minerals and all that. But for me, 1 coq10 gel cap is more effective than a whole bin of that stuff.

We're all different. Our bodies need different things. For me, the isolated nutrients have worked wonders
    Good points.

To work off what Ernie mentioned ...

The difference between absorb-ability (a subset of bio-availability) in certain molecules is whether they are water soluble or fat soluble. If you take a fat soluble supplement (vit E, curcumin, co-Q10- as you mentioned) you need to take it with fatty foods so it can be absorbed by your lymph system. Softgels have the distinct ability to include a fatty carrier, so you don't need to have the fatty food to get it absorbed. I recommend that vitamins E, D, and K, and common supplements Curcumin, CoQ10, either be taken with fatty foods if a dry formulation, or seek out a softgel for these. Water solubles, like B's C, most minerals, etc. are fine as dry formulations, but should be taken with some food. The reason for food is that it provides adequate stimulation for the digestive tract to spring into action and start readily absorbing.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bubu (9th September 2017), Ernie Nemeth (9th September 2017), Mike (9th September 2017), yelik (9th September 2017)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,114 times in 807 posts

Thank you all.

I was introduced to study this book by the individual. I gonna buy it from Amazon and will study it.
    Quote NutriSearch Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements for the Americas (6th Edition) Perfect Paperback – April 26, 2017
    by Lyle MacWilliam (Author)
    For free society!

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

DeDukshyn (12th September 2017), Ernie Nemeth (9th September 2017), Mike (9th September 2017)

33. Link to Post #17
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,270 times in 2,725 posts

I do take supplements under extreme conditions not a maintenance though. As mentioned above right kind and right amount should be observe. With this in mind "right" is dependent on the individual rather than follow recommended dosage feel for it. Plus one on whole foods. Intermittent fasting works wonder. I have a feeling that together with exercise and mental health it gives you transmutation. With transmutation you wont need the right food or at least you will need least because your body makes the right things. But you first need to be in a place of exceptional health. I am surprise that nobody is talking about transmutation when its pretty obvious that you can find an extremely healthy person in worst places with worst diet. How else do you explain this than transmutation.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (9th September 2017)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Good point Bubu. Ultimately, that is what I do as well. I listen to my body and let it tell me what it wants. Very rarely is it candy or sweets or junk food (but sometimes yes). It is usually something healthy, like spinach or an orange or a stick of celery. Even full meals spring to mind sometimes. I try to go with it, my body knows best. And like you said, I am confident that my being will ensure what I eat is fine for consumption and is used to regulate my health.

I have not been sick in years.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bubu (10th September 2017)

37. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member zen deik's Avatar
    Thanks

I stop taking supplements from time to time for a week or two with no problems... I have no health issues though... I try to eat healthy as much as I can which is important, with moderate exercise,.... I like to think of stopping the supplements as a cleansing.... I don't fully trust the pharmacy people.. …
    ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD IS THE END OF THE WORLD AND THIS AIN'T IT

38. The Following User Says Thank You to zen deik For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (10th September 2017)

39. Link to Post #20
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)

I got my Dad to take some q10 after years of suggesting it. But he went out and got the dry capsules (bad choice, gel caps are vastly superior) and it was some sh!tty brand from Walgreens or something. Of course it didn't help.
    I've had that experience a ton of times. I deliberately don't name brands when I tak about supplments, so people will trust the advice. Then they go to GNC, buy an inferior product and complain that it doesn't work. On the rare occasions I do name a brand (for example Detoxadine, cos I don't want anyone to go out and buy Iodine tincture (which could be fatal)*, or Povidone) there will always be some guy assuming you're selling it. You can't win. ha.

OP, supplements helped me massively. I wouldn't worry about feeling bad if you come off them. Those are all signals from our body guiding us back to health. I think we're occasionally supposed to take breaks, so our bodies don't become dependent on exogenous sources. Forgetting to take a supplement could actually be the subconscious body asking for a rest.

I normally buy supplements loose, in bulk, from ebay. iherb is good too.

* Nested brackets. Nice.
    Last edited by Daozen; 10th September 2017 at 17:54.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Mike (10th September 2017)

+ Reply to Thread