+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Putin thinks North Korea crisis will not go nuclear, diplomacy to prevail

1. Link to Post #1
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

Default Putin thinks North Korea crisis will not go nuclear, diplomacy to prevail

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-no...zen.yandex.com

"VLADIVOSTOK, Russia (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday he thought the North Korea crisis would not escalate into a large-scale conflict involving nuclear weapons, predicting that common sense would prevail.

But he said he believed North Korea’s leadership feared any freeze of its nuclear program would be followed by what amounted to “an invitation to the cemetery”.

Putin, speaking at an economic forum in the far eastern Russian port of Vladivostok alongside his South Korean counterpart and the Japanese prime minister, had previously warned that simmering tensions around Pyongyang’s missile program could tip into “global catastrophe”.

But on Thursday, after days of talks with regional leaders and officials, Putin struck a more optimistic note, saying Russia could see that the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump wanted to defuse tensions around North Korea.

“I am sure that things will not go as far as a large-scale conflict, especially with the use of weapons of mass destruction,” Putin told delegates at the forum.

“All the competing sides have enough common sense and understanding of their responsibility. We can solve this problem through diplomatic means.”

Russia has a land border with North Korea less than 20 km (12 miles) long.

Putin, who was sharing a platform with South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, has spent the past few days pushing for negotiations, calling on all sides to dial down rhetoric.

The United States wants the U.N. Security Council to impose an oil embargo on North Korea, ban its , and subject leader Kim Jong Un to an asset freeze and travel ban, according to a draft resolution seen by Reuters on Wednesday.

Putin gave no indication on Thursday whether Moscow would back that resolution; but he and top Russian government officials have previously condemned the idea of tightening sanctions and shown little enthusiasm to stop modest fuel exports to Pyongyang or send home North Korean workers.

‘IMPOSSIBLE TO SCARE THEM’

Instead, Russia, along with China, has advocated a “freeze for freeze” plan, under which the United States and South Korea would stop major military exercises in exchange for North Korea halting its weapons programs.

Neither side appears willing to budge so far however.

Putin said Pyongyang would not end its nuclear and missile programs because it viewed them as its only means of self-defense.

“It’s impossible to scare them,” said Putin.

Pyongyang was being offered the prospect of no new sanctions if it froze its weapons programs, but Putin said North Korea believed the wider risks to its own security outweighed the potential economic benefits of such a concession.

“We are telling them that we will not impose sanctions, which means you will live better, you will have more good and tasty food on the table, you will dress better,” said Putin. “But the next step, they think, is an invitation to the cemetery. And they will never agree with this.”

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

BMJ (11th September 2017), Cidersomerset (9th September 2017), Ioneo (9th September 2017), Jayke (9th September 2017), Nasu (9th September 2017), toppy (9th September 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member mgray's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,508 times in 1,196 posts

Default Re: Putin thinks North Korea crisis will not go nuclear, diplomacy to prevail

I posted earlier this week that Kim would perhaps launch a missile at Guam on 9/11 since we will be preoccupied with recover from Harvey and Irma.

Perhaps Putin knows better. Who knows.
    Last edited by mgray; 10th September 2017 at 10:47. Reason: Added link
    When in doubt, do the next right thing.
    My blog: http://grayseconomy.com

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgray For This Post:

Cidersomerset (9th September 2017), Harley (9th September 2017), Nasu (9th September 2017), Rawhide68 (9th September 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Harley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,344 times in 1,378 posts

Default Re: Putin thinks North Korea crisis will not go nuclear, diplomacy to prevail

Well, from 'Our' side of it we only know what we're told, right?
    But even at that, Kim has still blatantly threatened the US and Allies for years, ever since they started their nuclear program.

For years no kind of diplomacy or sanctions has worked, from what we've been told, and it appears that all this pussy-footin'
    around has done nothing but give Kim the time he needed to develop his weapons, when in reality, something should have
    been done about it years ago so it would have never gotten this far. The US, and as a matter of fact other nations, have taken
    care of this same sort of business in past years, so why haven't they done the same with North Korea? It boggles the mind.

Now Kim is claiming their nuclear and missile programs are its only means of self-defense. Defense of What? The only reason
    Kim may feel he needs a nuclear defense is to have them as a deterrent against nuclear attack. But in reality the only way that's
    going to happen is if he becomes the aggressor, and it really makes no difference whether or not he's being prodded to become one.

To be more clear, I guess what I'm trying to say is:

All North Korea has ever wanted is to take South Korea and they're bound and determined to do it in any way they can.
    And it should be obvious by now that their regime has little care of the lives that will be lost in doing so.
    Harley

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harley For This Post:

Bob (9th September 2017), justntime2learn (9th September 2017), mojo (9th September 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 times in 1,617 posts

Quote Posted by Harley (here)
    To be more clear, I guess what I'm trying to say is:

All North Korea has ever wanted is to take South Korea and they're bound and determined to do it in any way they can.
    And it should be obvious by now that their regime has little care of the lives that will be lost in doing so.
    How do you know that's all North Korea has ever wanted? Where's the evidence for that? I must admit I've not followed the North Korean situation for very long because he's only become the new American bogeyman since the US turned their attention away from regime change in Syria. So when I ask how do you know, I'm sincerely looking for some evidence based rhetoric that isn't just memes of doom repeated from mouthpieces of the neocon war machine...articles with genuine insight and unbiased analysis.

From the evidence I've seen so far, it seems more US aggression that Kim Jung Un is protecting himself from, and he certainly seems to have a sense of self sovereignty that I respect. Does that make him crazy enough to start a war with his neighbours? The North Korean leader might act like a chubby, entitled, eccentric man-child but that doesn't make him an unstable hitler-esque megalomaniac. Again, I'd just ask for more evidenced based rhetoric rather than cries for more war, war, war...pushed by a US war machine that has a history of tyranny itself.

As William Blake once mentioned 'The hand that crush'd the tyrant's head, became a tyrant in his stead'...and the US crossed that threshold with the disastrous impact their foreign policy had on Libya (obviously well before that in retrospect), but what they did in Libya is when it became openly observable to me that US foreign policy had descended into pure tyranny...with no respect for the innocent lives lost in their push for global dominion.

It boggles my mind that people in the US don't recognise how hypocritical their own government has become, how do you still trust anything they tell you? Guess that's what information warfare does to a population, convinces people war is a natural response to disagreements at the geopolitical level. I'm no pacifist btw, i believe you should lay the smack down on people when they step too far out of line, but that action should always be the last resort after all other options have been thoroughly exhausted. As Sun Tzu would say: 'the supreme art of war is to win without fighting'. I'd just like to see a little more sophistication coming out of US foreign policy in this respect.

Anyway, I'm glad that outside of the US people still understand what diplomacy is. Although I didn't see this situation going nuclear anytime soon either. Soft power to prevail over hard power once again imo.
    Last edited by Jayke; 9th September 2017 at 10:32.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jayke For This Post:

BlueMoon (9th September 2017), Cidersomerset (9th September 2017), Rawhide68 (9th September 2017), Swan (9th September 2017), Tintin (9th September 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,290 times in 640 posts

This reply is not mainly to hit big "jayke" on the nuts, but also asking him, why so you feed us with disinformation?`.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rawhide68 For This Post:

Cidersomerset (9th September 2017), Jayke (9th September 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rawhide68 (here)
    This reply is not mainly to hit big "jayke" on the nuts, but also asking him, why so you feed us with disinformation?`.
    Let me know which part of my argument you feel is disinformation and I'll explain my reason for sharing it...

PS hardly a hit on the nuts rawhide, more like a tap on the shoulder

and besides I did ask for alternative evidence based sources of information so I can expand and upgrade my perspective, so go ahead..take aim, swing back and hit me with everything you've got...
    Last edited by Jayke; 9th September 2017 at 10:38.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jayke For This Post:

Cidersomerset (9th September 2017), Tintin (9th September 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,637 times in 18,693 posts

Most of this can be summed up as the annual mil ind complex's sales pitch.....

Every year military drills between the US & S. Korean military provoke a
    response by the North. This year is more bellicose than usual as the new
    Trump administration with its inner ring of generals may have encouraged
    a more hardened response from Washington than usual. Though the North
    has also been more provocative this year whether to test Trumps foreign
    policy as he did originally say he was putting US domestic policy first.

So North Korea may have seen a bigger domestic propaganda opportunity
    to demonstrate to their own public that they are the 'greatest' country in
    the world as is stated daily by 'The Great Leader'. Old Political hands see
    this for what it is and I don't think these missile launches indicate a attack
    by the North , more a threat saying we have these weapons and you are
    not going to do an Iraq/Libya on us.

Of course events can change and a wrong move in the brinkmanship could
    escalate things but I expect it will simmer down as the next crisis comes up.

Trump: 'If we use military on North Korea, it would be a very sad day for it'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR8T5NkoFqg

Published on 7 Sep 2017
    Military action against North Korea is not inevitable but could be an option,
    said US President Donald Trump at a press conference with the Emir of Kuwait
    Amir al-Sabah in the White House, Washington DC, on Thursday.
    READ MORE: https://on.rt.com/8m3y

‘We will retaliate to Washington’s pressure’: North Korean diplomat on sanctions

Published on 7 Sep 2017

US actions against Pyongyang reveal its true goal of igniting war in the region,
    a North Korean official claims, adding that its recently-tested “hydrogen bomb”
    and missiles would help to protect peace, fending off aggression “at any place on the Earth.”

READ MORE: https://on.rt.com/8mfb
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 9th September 2017 at 11:16.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

avid (9th September 2017), Jayke (9th September 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,626 times in 5,415 posts

Quote Posted by Jayke (here)
    Quote Posted by Rawhide68 (here)
    Let me know which part of my argument you feel is disinformation and I'll explain my reason for sharing it...

PS hardly a hit on the nuts rawhide, more like a tap on the shoulder

and besides I did ask for alternative evidence based sources of information so I can expand and upgrade my perspective, so go ahead..take aim, swing back and hit me with everything you've got...
    I was left puzzled by that too: what disinformation? *scratches head".

The censoring of news would appear to be continuing, with its bias on western only news source agenda drip - article here picked up via MSN feed. YouTube (Google) blocking what they call North Korean propaganda. Typical......http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/...cid=spartandhp

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

BlueMoon (9th September 2017), Jayke (9th September 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

In the end, maybe its just about the south China sea.

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres...zen.yandex.com

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Jayke (9th September 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,431 times in 5,646 posts

ahhhh ...Putin says...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mojo For This Post:

Bob (11th September 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    In the end, maybe its just about the south China sea.

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres...zen.yandex.com
    Good find, you're probably right...just like Syria was all about israel laying claim to the oil fields in the Golan heights. Follow the resources, follow the money!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayke For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (9th September 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,349 times in 1,707 posts

From the conversations of Jimmy Carter, former POTUS, with the North Korean regime, quote:

"During all these visits, the North Koreans emphasized that they wanted peaceful relations with the United States and their neighbors, but were convinced that we (the USA) planned a preemptive military strike against their country.

They wanted a peace treaty (especially with America) to replace the ceasefire agreement that had existed since the end of the Korean War in 1953, and to end the economic sanctions that had been very damaging to them during that long interim period.

They have made it clear to me and others that their first priority is to assure that their military capability is capable of destroying a large part of Seoul and of responding strongly in other ways to any American attack.

The influence of China in Pyongyang seems to be greatly reduced since Kim Jong Un became the North Korean leader in December 2011."

Link: https://www.cartercenter.org/news/pr...ea-081017.html
    Last edited by BMJ; 11th September 2017 at 14:36.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Bubu (11th September 2017), Harley (11th September 2017), Jayke (11th September 2017), Rawhide68 (9th May 2020)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,290 times in 640 posts

Thanks "preemptive" new word for my brainstam, gulp!

+ Reply to Thread