+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: "THE ORVILLE" - New TV Comedy Series spoofs STAR TREK - 10 September on FOX

1. Link to Post #1
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Default "THE ORVILLE" - New TV Comedy Series spoofs STAR TREK - 10 September on FOX

In a world which has become more dangerous, serious and darker than most of us care to remember, there's light at the end of the tunnel... STAR TREK fans may love this... (or not )

"The Orville is an upcoming comedy-drama science fiction television series created by and starring Seth MacFarlane that is set to premiere on Sunday, September 10, 2017, with new episodes to air Thursdays on Fox during the 2017–18 season.

The Orville
    is set on the titular U.S.S. Orville (ECV-197), a mid-level exploratory vessel 400 years in the future."
    - Wikipedia

Down on his luck after a bitter divorce, Planetary Union officer Ed Mercer (Seth MacFarlane) finally gets his chance to command his own ship. Determined to prove his worth and start a new chapter, Ed discovers the first wrinkle in his plan when the First Officer assigned to his ship is his ex-wife, Kelly Grayson. As the new commander, Ed assembles a qualified -- but eccentric -- crew, including his best friend, Gordon, who has problems with authority but is the best helmsman in the fleet; Dr. Claire Finn; Bortus, an alien from a single-sex species; Isaac, an artificial life-form from a machine society; navigator John Lamarr; Alara Kitan, a young, inexperienced security officer; and Yaphit, a gelatinous creature.

Looking remarkably like an earlier TREK parody, "GALAXY QUEST"(right down to the ship design), here's the trailer - enjoy :

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,169 times in 1,747 posts

Default Re: "THE ORVILLE" - New TV Comedy Series spoofs STAR TREK - 10 September on FOX

Or maybe the Fans of people in pajamas in space meight find this interresting (25 Sept Netfix)

I prefer the Expanse
    Last edited by uzn; 9th September 2017 at 12:07.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

bennycog (10th September 2017), BMJ (13th September 2017), Bruno (11th September 2017), Cidersomerset (9th September 2017), guyres (10th September 2017), justntime2learn (18th September 2017), KiwiElf (9th September 2017), Loren (9th September 2017), Mercedes (9th September 2017), william r sanford72 (9th September 2017)

4. Link to Post #3
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: "THE ORVILLE" - New TV Comedy Series spoofs STAR TREK - 10 September on FOX

Why settle for one when you can have both

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,638 times in 18,693 posts

Looking forward to both.....The Expanse ( excellent ) , Dark Matter , ( Very good )
    and for fun Killjoys are three current show worth watching imo... Also The 100,
    and colony are still current shows.

THE EXPANSE | Season 3: Official San Diego Comic Con 2017 Trailer | SYFY

Published on 23 Jul 2017

==============================================

DARK MATTER Season 3 Official Trailer (HD) Syfy Original Series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlZCJenGw5Y

Published on 22 May 2017

KILLJOYS | Season 3: Official Trailer | SYFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2jIZ8nXXgQ

Published on 9 Jun 2017
    Bounty hunters ... in space! Yup, it's as cool as it sounds. The adventures of Dutch
    and the gang continue June 30 on SYFY.
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 9th September 2017 at 13:23.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

BMJ (13th September 2017), Bruno (11th September 2017), drneglector (11th September 2017), fourty-two (11th September 2017), guyres (10th September 2017), justntime2learn (18th September 2017), KiwiElf (9th September 2017), Mercedes (9th September 2017), uzn (9th September 2017), william r sanford72 (9th September 2017)

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

I just visited the gif shop......

====================================================

Meanwhile back at Star Fleet.....The Klingons do not look right to me , reminds me
    of some other Star Trek world race...? unless they are from a different part of the
    empire.

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 9th September 2017 at 13:46.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Bruno (11th September 2017), fourty-two (11th September 2017), justntime2learn (18th September 2017), KiwiElf (9th September 2017), william r sanford72 (9th September 2017)

9. Link to Post #6
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 times in 476 posts

I am really looking forward to this, and second trailer is great too. It is how I imagine us folk, if we were to get the opportunity. Lol.

The genuine series on the other hand, is getting darker, not only in reference to the lack of lighting and color schemes.
    Last edited by findingneo; 10th September 2017 at 04:38.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to findingneo For This Post:

fourty-two (11th September 2017), KiwiElf (10th September 2017)

11. Link to Post #7
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by findingneo (here)
    I am really looking forward to this too. It is how I imagine us folk, if we were to get the opportunity. Lol.

The genuine series on the other hand, is getting darker, not only in reference to the lack of lighting and color schemes.
    Only a couple of days to go (and bound to be available on streaming/torrent sites shortly after )

Interesting what you mention about ST DISCOVERY; the fans are already disliking the changes & further departure from ST "Canon". The reason for this is a complicated split in licensing relationship between CBS, Paramount, Netflix, Bad Robot etc. However, there appears to be a "Plan B" should ST DISCOVERY flop. This video discusses it:

Last edited by KiwiElf; 10th September 2017 at 06:25.

12. Link to Post #8
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Excellent video KiwiElf. I had not seen any of that information so that explains a lot. Thanks.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to findingneo For This Post:

Cidersomerset (10th September 2017), fourty-two (11th September 2017), KiwiElf (10th September 2017)

14. Link to Post #9
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

You're welcome, findingneo - I think there a quite a few folk out there who aren't quite aware of the ummm, "politics" & $$$ associated with future incarnations of STAR TREK.

For the original/canon series fans, (& Derailing my own thread ), there have been some very good fan-produced versions of TREK, my favourite being STAR TREK CONTINUES... recent sample here - so far nine in the series. The webseries carries on the original five-year mission. (All nine episodes are available on YouTube & elsewhere )

(Fans may recognise Chris Doohan (who plays Mr Scott and also son of the late James Doohan, who played the original role; Anne Lockhart as Thaius who starred in the later episodes of the original Battlestar Galactica, & daughter of June Lockhart of Lassie and Lost in Space fame; and of course, John de Lancie as Galisti, who played the mischievous "Q" across several episodes of ST-TNG & Voyager)

Last edited by KiwiElf; 10th September 2017 at 06:54.

15. Link to Post #10
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Thanks KiwiElf you Trekkie. I will gratefully watch that.x

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to findingneo For This Post:

fourty-two (11th September 2017), KiwiElf (10th September 2017), Sunny-side-up (30th September 2017)

17. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote The Klingons do not look right to me
    Quote licensing relationship between CBS, Paramount, Netflix, Bad Robot etc.
    Well that explains it , they are corporate Klingons.......Due to copy rights etc explained
    on the vid posted by Kiwi above # 7

Why Klingons look that way in the 23rd century , I actually enjoyed the first three
    seasons of Enterprise unfortunately s 4 lost its way especially after the show was
    cancelled. This has happened to many series like Lost etc and is happening with
    Game of Thrones as the producers are rushing the final seasons to do another
    project which is sad ruining a great adaptation of GRR Martins masterpiece.

Published on 4 Feb 2017
    STAR TREK ENTERPRISE Season 4 Divergence

=====================================

Klingon Redesign EXPLAINED | Star Trek: Discovery

Aug 2017
    In today's Star Trek: Discovery video, CJ explores and explains one
    of the most controversial aspects of the new show: the redesign of the Klingons!
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 10th September 2017 at 10:26.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

findingneo (10th September 2017), KiwiElf (10th September 2017)

19. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,425 times in 839 posts

Watched the new show. (The Oroville, or whatever it's called). ........ Well, I tried to watch. I was only able to watch maybe 15 minutes. And I had to force myself to even watch it that long.
    Booooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggg.
    Couldn't take it anymore. Very disappointed considering it's a Seth McFarlane production. Should rename it "The Boroville". Anyway, that's just my opinion. Others will have theirs.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Orph For This Post:

jake gittes (11th November 2017)

21. Link to Post #13
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Just watched it now.... loved it. It's "serious fun"!, (in a "M.A.S.H."/ "Galaxy Quest"/"Guardians of the Galaxy" kinda way, not in a slapstick, Mel Brooks "Space Balls" kinda way, altho there's some good slapstick moments) with serious bits as well, great SFX - but like the first episodes of various STAR TREK shows, will probably need a few more to "find its feet". After all, it's only the first episode (and I did watch ALL of it). So far, I'm an instant fan!

(As I write this, it's scoring 7.5/10 on IMDB...)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5691552/

The Orville (and many others), depending on your location, can be streamed here for free:

http://123freemovies.net/watch-the-o...es.html?play=1
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 11th September 2017 at 04:46.

22. Link to Post #14
    Deactivated
    Thanks

KiwiElf,I was a fan as soon as I saw the Trailer/s you started this thread with. Seth is an excellent actor. I had never seen him before. Perfect for the role. His facial expressions are very convincing. I love the humor. Thank you, hopefully I will be able to get in to your link a bit later when I get the free time.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to findingneo For This Post:

Cidersomerset (11th September 2017), KiwiElf (11th September 2017)

24. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Just watched the series premier early days I was amused and it really depends where it
    goes from here. Plenty of potential in the characters and you can recognise the universe
    concept straight away as a Star Trek rip off which it is supposed to be. I'm not sold on
    the husband X wife aspect especially as it showed at the end it was her that got him his
    command. Still I watch all sky fy shows good or bad as they are my equivalent of a soap..LOL

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

fourty-two (24th September 2017), KiwiElf (11th September 2017), Satori (11th September 2017)

26. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,948 times in 536 posts

I watched it, I enjoyed it, early days and should fill out over time, but in saying that being a Seth MacFarlane production the part where the dog was licking itself on the video conference wasn't surprising.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig For This Post:

Cidersomerset (12th September 2017), KiwiElf (12th September 2017)

28. Link to Post #17
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Thanks KiwiElf, tried to watch it but the link wanted to rearrange my computer so I had to evict it. I will just have to wait until a less bossy link comes along.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to findingneo For This Post:

Cidersomerset (12th September 2017), KiwiElf (13th September 2017)

30. Link to Post #18
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by findingneo (here)
    Thanks KiwiElf, tried to watch it but the link wanted to rearrange my computer so I had to evict it. I will just have to wait until a less bossy link comes along.
    Oh, OK... not having a problem with it here, but I may be using a different computer/OS. (Your provider might also be blocking websites like that as it is probably considered "questionable" or dodgy). I imagine it will start soon on your local TV network. Torrents are already available if you want to "turn to the dark side"
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 13th September 2017 at 02:17.

31. Link to Post #19
    Deactivated
    Thanks

I have not been tempted to that dark Torrent side yet. lol. On the other hand, Star Trek Discovery is coming to Netlfix on September 25th. I would actually prefer "Orville" though. Both "Orville" and "Discovery" are like the yin and yang of all the other series. If I had to choose, rather than the original blend that I preferred, it would not have to be "Orville". It actually looks great having said that.

I will just have to wait for it.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to findingneo For This Post:

KiwiElf (18th September 2017)

33. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Just watched episode 2 ....some amusing moments as a comedy ,
    story line weak but still establishing the universe.As for competing
    with Star Trek it has a long way to go....We will see what episode 3
    will bring.....

=================================================

Bortus Lays An Egg | Season 1 Ep. 2 | THE ORVILLE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBdoTyC3V34

=================================================

Bortus Pushes Alara To Take Command | Season 1 Ep. 2 | THE ORVILLE

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 18th September 2017 at 18:20.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

findingneo (20th September 2017), KiwiElf (19th September 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast