+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hemp/Cannabis and all about it

1. Link to Post #1
    Slovenia Avalon Member BlueMoon's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb Hemp/Cannabis and all about it

Hello everyone!

There are no hemp threads on this forum yet so I felt like starting one out and outlining some basic facts about this wonderful plant. I hope this thread will clear many misconceptions and help whomever wishes to understand this whole plant a bit better. I also hope to inspire you to grow it and get to know the plant yourselves! Growing plants in general is good for grounding - connecting with the Earth - and is often meditation-like. If you're not growing any plants yet, do it now!!

Before I start talking about its uses I feel like it's important to point out the differences between so called "weed " aka cannabis/marijuana/pot, "industrial hemp" and " medicinal hemp". They are all essentially the same plant from the Cannabis genus, with 3 main species being recognized: Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica and Cannabis ruderalis. Each one of them could be labelled as industrial hemp, medicinal hemp or weed. The only difference between these labels is the content of cannabinoids in the plants. Industrial hemp contains very low amount of the main psychoactive compound THC and is not psychoactive. Medicinal weed contains lower amounts of THC than the "regular weed" and contains higher percentage of other cannabinoids, mainly CBD. Weed has high amount of THC and was continuously bred and selected with the intention to increase its potency - to increase the THC ratio. There are many different strains of hemp, each having its own cannabinoid profile.

Now that we cleared some things up, where to start? There are countless ways to use hemp, and each and every part of the plant can be used. Yes, literally.
    Hemp is a dioecious plant, which means that hemp plants have male and female organs on separate individual plants. Some of the plants can be hermaphrodites but that's quite rare.
    Why am I telling you this? Female plants and male plants have different uses, to a certain degree. The female flowers, or buds, are what's most commonly used as an ingredient in many ailments, medicines and cosmetic products, and blunts/joints. Female buds are what is being smoked when someone smokes weed. They contain the highest percentage of cannabinoids, such as THC, CBD, CBN and many many others.

Cannabinoids, along with terpenes, are the main substances that are used to treat many diseases or conditions, such as cancer, asthma, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, Alzheimer's, Crohn's, epilepsy, glaucoma, helps to relax the mind and the muscles, helps to sleep, ...
    The most famous cannabinoid is THC or Tetrahydrocannabinol. It is the main psychoactive ingredient in hemp. Some other cannabinoids are psychoactive as well, some are not. There are currently over 110 known different cannabinoids, the number getting higher every year. The second most famous cannabinoid is the non-psychoactive CBD. It can lessen the psychoactive impact of THC and if used together, THC and CBD have shown to have a bigger (positive) impact on fighting cancer cells - and using a broader set of cannabinoids has even better effects, not just on cancer, but on muscle relaxation for example, and many many other things, out of which I'm sure some still remain unknown, mainly because of the lack of research conducted on THC, but even more so on all the other cannabinoids (the fact that we're still discovering new cannabinoids gives you an idea of where we're at).
    In short: Using a broad set of cannabinoids is better than taking synthetic THC or CBD extracts.

Male flowers that produce pollen can also be used as they too contain cannabinoids (pollen included), but in lower quantities. The leaves of plants also contain small amounts of cannabinoids, but they also contain essential oils. The simplest and most efficient way of using leaves, in my opinion, is making a tea out of them (add some fat, like milk or butter in the tea if you want to benefit from the cannabinoids in the leaves, as they're fat solluble but not solluble in water). You can also make a tincture, or a hydrolat/hydrosol if you want to get the essential oils, but you need larger quantities of leaves for that of course. When making a tincture, you can put every single part of the plant into the alcohol - even the roots, which have been used by the chinese 5000 years ago already, as they has numerous benefits. Putting every part of the plant in your tincture ensures you'll get the most out of the plant and its medicinal properties.

If you want to use hemp for cosmetics you can use its essential oil, or some oil macerated with hemp buds (you can easily do that yourself).

Oil made from hemp seeds is very healthy. The seeds contain all of the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids, the latter being in a perfect ratio for human nutritional needs!
    It is also possible to make biodiesel out of the seeds for example, but I suggest we just eat the seeds or give them to the birds.

Hemp fibers are the strongest natural fibres on Earth. You can make durable, high quality paper from these fibres, or textile, which has better heat insulation properties than cotton, meaning these clothes will keep you warmer than cotton clothes would when it's cold. It is also considerably more durable than cotton and can be used as clothing that needs to withstand harsh conditions and will not tear apart (like jeans that were used for miners). Hemp fibres were also used to make durable ropes (for ships, for example). Heat insulation is also good when making building materials out of hemp stalks - called Hempcrete (stalks mixed with lime, sand, cement). It has good insulation, will not burn but only char on the surface, and is very breathable. Hemp stalks can also be used to make beer or other types of alcohol - hemp stalks being an addition and not the main source of sugar.

To produce things like hempcrete, ropes or textile, a lot of stalk material is needed (and a production line as well). If such production is not possible, one can always use stalk material as a healthy livestock feed.

Cellulose is also used to make some plastic materials, and yes - it's possible to make biodegradable plastic from hemp as well.

How about growing hemp? No problem! Hemp needs no pesticides as it doesn't have much natural "predators". It grows faster than other weeds and it outgrows them. It will not grow in high grass though, because it will not have the chance to outgrow it. Hemp does not need much nutrients so there is no need for much fertilization. It can also withstand harsh conditions, like draught for example, and can grow in high altitudes as well. Hemp can also be used to replenish soils, contaminated by heavy metals. It is generally easy to grow and does not require much attention, if any at all. Yields depend on what variety you pick and how you choose to sow it.
    If you want to have as much stalks and fibre as possible, you can sow hemp seeds very densely. If you want to have many leaves and buds, sow less seeds and give the plants more space. Most importantly, pick the right variety. Some strains grow in height (good for stalk and fibre), some focus most of their energy into seed production, some will have nice and big flowers. The pollen comming from the male flowers will pollinate the female flowers, meaning the female plants will focus on seed production and not on producing the buds, which would be filled with resin and cannabinoids, if there was no seeds to be produced.

If you want to grow hemp for yourself in small quantities, you can make tea or tincture out of it, cosmetic products, you can make hemp oil out of seeds if you manage to get big enough quantities, you can collect roots and use them for medicinal purposes. Planting just a few plants in your garden will keep some of the bad insects away.

Well then, why is hemp illegal? I'm sure you can see why. Numerous benefits in many different areas would prevent many industries from keeping their nasty profits. It can also be psychoactive and can expand your consciousness, just like all the other illegal entheogens. It all started with the War on drugs in the USA (read more about it here)and then it spread throughout the world.
    Ask your parents or grandparents, or the older people on this forum: they will remember large hemp fields being grown, both in the USA and throughout Europe, about the other parts of the world I'm not so sure. The legislation in Europe allows to grow industrial hemp, but only if the percentage of THC is less than 0,2% (find some information for EU here). This is, basically, awful, as the plants themselves benefit from higher percentage of THC. Raising the limit up to 0,5% would have many many benefits and the plants would still not be psychoactive. THC offers protection from the sun (and if there is a lot of sun, THC levels in the plant will rise). THC is not here for us people, it is a part of the plants' system. The farmers are also not allowed to grow their own seeds for planting but must buy certificated seeds, which means the plants will never adopt to some particular environment through acclimatization and selection of best seeds by the farmers themselves. There are no varieties which have been bred in conditions I live in, with the same type of climate, same type of soil. And so the farmer depends on the quality of the seeds and their adequacy for the particular environment in which he/she will grow hemp.

There is a lot more of detailed information out there on the internet about the things I mentioned here. If there's any questions, feel free to post them here and I'll do my best to answer them. The purpose of this thread is to shed some light on this topic and spread awareness about hemp.

I encourage you to grow it, get to know it, and benefit from it (but don't get yourself in trouble!). Find out what the legislation in your country is like. Some countries allow you to grow industrial hemp, some countries even permit growing small amounts of hemp for medicinal purposes (medicinal hemp) or for your own consumption and recreation (weed). If there's anyone who wants to try growing it, send me a message (or post it here for everyone to see, so we all benefit) and I'll do my best to help you out.

Happy growing!
    Last edited by BlueMoon; 12th September 2017 at 18:52.

2. The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon For This Post:

7alon (13th September 2017), Akasha (21st September 2017), alexius (12th September 2017), Amenjo (22nd September 2017), Art (13th September 2017), avid (12th September 2017), Baby Steps (12th September 2017), barneythez (8th May 2018), Blacklight43 (12th September 2017), bojancan (21st September 2017), Bruno (12th September 2017), Bubu (12th September 2017), Cidersomerset (12th September 2017), Conde (12th September 2017), DeDukshyn (12th September 2017), drneglector (12th September 2017), enigma3 (12th September 2017), Ewan (12th September 2017), Franny (14th September 2017), GaelVictor (15th September 2017), Ioneo (12th September 2017), Jad (12th September 2017), Jayke (12th September 2017), Justplain (21st September 2017), latina (12th September 2017), Lifebringer (13th September 2017), Linderlou (13th September 2017), mab777 (13th September 2017), Matt P (12th September 2017), noxon medem (20th September 2017), Omni (21st September 2017), petra (4th May 2018), raregem (13th September 2017), Reinhard (12th September 2017), Rhah (12th September 2017), Rosco1 (25th September 2017), seehas (12th September 2017), seko (12th September 2017), StandingWave (12th September 2017), starlight (14th September 2017), Steviemad (12th September 2017), syrwong (21st September 2017), The Moss Trooper (12th September 2017), uzn (12th September 2017), wondering (12th September 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,067 times in 698 posts

Default Re: Hemp/Cannabis and all about it

in the past ive had a paraglider accident and i lost a vertebrae, after 2 surgerys they put me on morphine and later morphine based pills, my body was addicted already.

it was cannabis that helped me to get rid of the morphine.

since i dont want to take pills against the pain (got a vertebrae missing now and its bridged with titanium) i needed some time to find the right cannabis-strain for myself, most cannabis out there is bred to get a maximum % in THC, for pain issues its better to get 1:1 THC/CBD.

the CBD (Cannabidiol) has a strong effect on the body and reduces the psychoactive substance of THC, that makes you feel realy relaxed and happy but still clear in the mind

im sorry pharmaindustry but i found something better !
    " Loka samasta sukhino bhavantu / May all beings in all worlds be happy and free and may the thoughts, words and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all "

tibetian mantra

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to seehas For This Post:

7alon (13th September 2017), Akasha (21st September 2017), Art (13th September 2017), BlueMoon (12th September 2017), Bubu (12th September 2017), Cidersomerset (12th September 2017), Conde (12th September 2017), drneglector (13th September 2017), enigma3 (12th September 2017), Franny (14th September 2017), GaelVictor (15th September 2017), Justplain (21st September 2017), Matt P (12th September 2017), raregem (4th December 2017), seko (12th September 2017), uzn (12th September 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

One thing I feel I have to add, is that although it is absolutely true that cannabis is a natural drug that can have a lot of (both physical and mental) health benefits, and which could indeed even be used as a highly effective medicine; those will never be valid reasons to abuse the drug.

The reason I'm saying this is because I have personally recovered from a cannabis addiction, and the above were exactly the things I kept telling myself as to why there was no reason for me to quit smoking. "It's natural, not some synthetic drug like LSD so it's harmless", "It's a medicine", "The Jamaicans smoke it constantly, so why should I stop if I only smoke it during the evening?", etc. etc.

That's basically how it went for a good 9 years of my life. Eventually I just had to convince myself of the fact that, just as with any other drug, it is all fairly fine and harmless so long you use it occasionally; but as soon as you start using it every single day for years on end, it should be clear that it's no longer beneficial for you. At that point you're abusing the drug and therefore abusing yourself. You become a slave to your own passions.

So to everyone reading this; please do be careful and use it responsibly. I know cannabis is a great drug, and a relatively mild one at that, but don't tell yourself that it can't become addictive. That's what I thought for the majority of those 9 years, but when you eventually do realize that you can no longer function without it, it'll be incredibly difficult to give it up.
    The only people I hung out with all those years were pot smokers, so when I finally made the decision to quit I was basically forced to shut myself in and live a reclusive life for well over six months; because I knew that if I would meet my friends the temptation would simply become too high, that I would start postponing it again and tell myself things like "tonight will just be my last then, I'll quit tomorrow.", and that I'd be telling myself the exact same thing the next day.
    I'm glad to say that I did eventually manage to quit entirely and I haven't touched the stuff for over a year and a hallf now. But it sure wasn't an easy task and I am sad to say that I have lost most of my friends in the process.

In any case, my apologies for this rant, I hope I haven't in any way derailed this thread as that was not my intention. I just felt I had to speak up a little due to my personal experiences with cannabis, and because when I do occasionally socialize with people that smoke pot, and someone happens to bring up a negative point about it, I notice that they almost always immediately bring out the "it's a natural herb" and "it's a medicine" arguments to vindicate their behavior. So I just felt the need to emphasize the fact that there's a difference between using and abusing.

All in all, I admittedly still have a love-hate relationship with the drug. During those years of active usage it has provided me with the best moments of my life, but also the absolute worst. And what initially started out as my greatest friend eventually turned into my greatest adversary.
    Last edited by Rhah; 12th September 2017 at 17:31.

6. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Rhah For This Post:

7alon (13th September 2017), Art (13th September 2017), BlueMoon (12th September 2017), bojancan (21st September 2017), Bruno (13th September 2017), Bubu (12th September 2017), Chester (12th September 2017), Cidersomerset (12th September 2017), Did You See Them (13th September 2017), drneglector (13th September 2017), GaelVictor (15th September 2017), Hazelfern (13th September 2017), Ioneo (12th September 2017), Justplain (21st September 2017), Kate (20th September 2017), leavesoftrees (18th September 2017), OopsWrongPlanet? (14th September 2017), Satori (12th September 2017), seko (14th September 2017), wondering (12th September 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 times in 650 posts

I'll add my approval of this subject matter.

It had been many, many years since I had used cannabis, right up until about two weeks ago. I had to undergo 7hrs of emergency surgery about a month ago, it was quite violent. I discharged myself after two weeks because I could bare to be in hospital no more, pumped full of morphine and God knows what else. When I enquired about diet and exercise to aid my recovery, the consultant and surgeon just gave me a blank look...... and two large bags of PILLS. Morphine, codeine, tramadol, etc, etc. I took them for 2 days and then binned the lot of them. My surgery was on my abdomen, stomach and lung so appetite was a problem, also sleeping. On my third day back at home I had a 'lightbulb' moment.

I am now two weeks further down that road, putting on weight (I lost 6.8kg after the operation) and getting back into a good sleep routine. If anyone is interested as to the beginnings of the persecution of this plant, there is one name, and one name only that you need to look into. That name is Harry Anslinger, and the whole, ridiculous war on drugs falls firmly at that man's feet.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Moss Trooper For This Post:

Billy (12th September 2017), BlueMoon (12th September 2017), Bruno (13th September 2017), Bubu (12th September 2017), enigma3 (12th September 2017), Franny (14th September 2017), Justplain (21st September 2017), Kate (20th September 2017), Matt P (12th September 2017), wondering (12th September 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

Food is beneficial in right amounts. cannabis is no different. In my case although I'm an adventurist I am a careful adventurist. I will go where people dont but not without a good understanding. In the case of marijuana. 5 to 10 days of continuous use will slow down my brain and body. I get the most benefit when I use 3 or 5 days in succession then stop for 6 to 10 days. then repeat the cycle. I think most people that gets into trouble is using this as a form of escape. I use it as a booster. and yes it does boost my overall health. Just as the case in almost anything you can reap benefits or get into trouble depending on how you use it. There are things that can be use often and there are things that should be use less and then there is also the individual diversity factor. The irony is that once you cross that line and find yourself in the low side you tend to make decisions that push you lower while the opposite is true when you are on the opposite side of the line. That is why it is very important to take time out ever as often and asses the situation.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

BlueMoon (12th September 2017), petra (4th May 2018)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,528 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by BlueMoon (here)
    There are no hemp threads on this forum yet
    We do have two, though many thanks to you for this new contribution.
    Here's how to search:

Mod note
    — I remind everyone of this from time to time: btw, do be aware that many members use the default background, which is near-white. That means that very pale font colors may be very hard for them to read. Unfortunately, the safest non-default colors to use for all background preferences are really only red, blue and green.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Akasha (21st September 2017), Bruno (13th September 2017), Bubu (13th September 2017), enigma3 (12th September 2017), Lifebringer (13th September 2017), mab777 (13th September 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

I agree with what you guys are saying about cannabis/weed - I don't to refer to it as cannabis in my text, as cannabis is the Latin name for the plant and could mean the whole plant and all the varieties of hemp, while weed clearly stands for the THC-rich female flowers only.
    In this thread I mainly wanted to bring attention to numerous benefits of HEMP plant as a whole. Many people still think that hemp has one use only - getting high. It can be great food for humans, food for animals, textiles, paper, plastics, insect-repellent, and vast potential in medicine, again, as a whole plant, not just the flowers. Hemp is literally the best plant on the planet Earth and we should grow it, use it, and explore its potential.

I encourage anyone and everyone to start growing industrial or medicinal hemp and gather the seeds, leaves, flowers and roots, and use it as your food and medicine.

Peace

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon For This Post:

7alon (13th September 2017), Art (13th September 2017), Blacklight43 (12th September 2017), Bruno (13th September 2017), Bubu (13th September 2017), Chester (12th September 2017), Justplain (21st September 2017), seko (14th September 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    We do have two, though many thanks to you for this new contribution.
    Oh sorry, my fingers were faster than my brain. I did notice the threads but I wanted to put as many useful information into one single post/thread and really talk about hemp as a whole.
    And I will avoid using pale colours in the future

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon For This Post:

7alon (13th September 2017), Bill Ryan (12th September 2017), Bruno (13th September 2017), Chester (12th September 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

Quote Posted by Rhah (here)
    All in all, I admittedly still have a love-hate relationship with the drug. During those years of active usage it has provided me with the best moments of my life, but also the absolute worst. And what initially started out as my greatest friend eventually turned into my greatest adversary.
    Thank you greatly, Rhah for a very honest and personally revealing post sharing your experience with smoking weed.

In rare cases, some people (like myself) who have habitually used high doses of high quality marijuana (I almost always bonged it), eventually experience dark psychosis events. I have experienced this 10 times, the last time "ended" in early 2012. Fortunately I have almost six years without that drug (or any other drug including alcohol). I have to stay away from all mind altering substances including alcohol because when I use anything, I eventually become weak and revert to my favorite - marijuana.

My opinion is that this drug should be legal and that, just like alcohol where those who figure out they are alcoholics cannot drink and should never drink, folks like me who eventually enter into serious psychotic episodes should "get the message" and never smoke it or imbibe it in any form to "get high."

I am also a major fan of "hemp" overall and agree with the OP that there are very many beneficial uses and likely those are all still being discovered.

I think this thread as a new thread on its own is a good thing, Thank You, BlueMoon.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

BlueMoon (12th September 2017), Bruno (13th September 2017), Bubu (13th September 2017), enigma3 (12th September 2017), Jayke (12th September 2017), Rhah (13th September 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 times in 404 posts

Big pharma has done their level best to prevent research at American universities. Up to now they have done a pretty good job. Now, however, things are changing. Slowly we will discover many uses for the over 200 active ingredients in cannabis. Two recent findings are interesting. It halts AND reverses cognitive decline that naturally happens with aging. And, people who ingest the stuff regularly actually experience increased lung function! That's a wowser. Smoke it and get increased lung capacity.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enigma3 For This Post:

Blacklight43 (12th September 2017), Bruno (13th September 2017), Bubu (13th September 2017), Matt P (13th September 2017), starlight (14th September 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,637 times in 18,693 posts

I 've been looking on the headline pages and saw these article , also by coincidence I
    was posting some Jesse Ventura vids on the 9/11 thread and then noticed his
    interview on the Joe Rogan show and at the beginning they talk about Cannabis
    oil/pills for medical relief to serious ailments to close acquaintances .....

Interesting exchange aprox 6mins in to 18mins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2P1L_7uHrY
    Streamed live on 13 Oct 2016
    Jesse Ventura is a former Navy SEAL, professional wrestler, actor,
    political commentator, author, and politician who served as the
    38th Governor of Minnesota from 1999 to 2003.

==============================================

Wisconsin To Be First State Ever To Nullify Federal Cannabis Prohibition

By Andrew Cheetham on 12 September 2017 GMT

Wisconsin to Be First State Ever to Nullify Federal Cannabis Prohibition

Posted on September 11, 2017

https://www.naturalblaze.com/2017/09...ohibition.html

==================================================

THC from cannabis found to dramatically slow memory loss by protecting brain cells

By Andrew Cheetham on 12 September 2017 GMT Health, Medical/Health

NATURAL NEWS....

THC from cannabis found to dramatically slow memory loss by protecting brain cells

Monday, September 11, 2017 by: Rhonda Johansson

‘Despite the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) still classifying marijuana as a
    schedule 1 drug (similar to heroin, ecstasy, LSD, and peyote), a new study
    confirms that the active compound in cannabis, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), can
    benefit the elderly — particularly in preventing memory loss. Researchers from
    Germany studied THC’s effects on the brains of older mice and found that these
    animals regained mental clarity after being given pot.

To be more specific, the scientists found that the neural connections within the
    hippocampus, which is responsible for memory and emotions, were firing at a rate
    comparable to younger adults. These findings, if proven similar among humans,
    could signal better and more affordable treatment options for adults suffering from
    dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.’

Read more: THC from cannabis found to dramatically slow memory loss by protecting brain cells
    https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-09-...ain-cells.html

https://www.davidicke.com/category/268/medicalhealth

Theres another longer early thread....
    Medical Cannabis / Marijuana ....https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...light=cannabis
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 12th September 2017 at 22:15.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Bruno (13th September 2017), Bubu (13th September 2017), Matt P (13th September 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by enigma3 (here)
    Big pharma has done their level best to prevent research at American universities. Up to now they have done a pretty good job. Now, however, things are changing. Slowly we will discover many uses for the over 200 active ingredients in cannabis. Two recent findings are interesting. It halts AND reverses cognitive decline that naturally happens with aging. And, people who ingest the stuff regularly actually experience increased lung function! That's a wowser. Smoke it and get increased lung capacity.
    Not only in the US but throughout the world also, it has been very difficult to get the funds and/or samples for further research.

Big Pharma is also trying to push their synthetic extracts in the market, like 100% THC which is of course less beneficial than a natural plant extract (but anyone can do that, so they made it illegal). The DEA has made CBD extracts illegal as well, because any natural hemp extract will also contain some amounts of THC, which is illegal. Yeah.

Some of the "doctors" in Slovenia became suddenly very interested in helping patients with their hemp extracts. You need a prescription and you need to buy it at a pharmacy, of course. One of their arguments against growing your own plants was "One does not go into nature and gather some poisonous herb (which can be used as medicine) and makes medicine out of it, because it's dangerous! Same with hemp! You need a professional to tell you how to use such plants". Sounds great!

Also, thank you for the links Cidersomerset, I'm glad there's more and more hemp-related research, destroying the mainstream ideas of it, spreading knowledge and offering new possibilities.

Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    To be more specific, the scientists found that the neural connections within the
    hippocampus, which is responsible for memory and emotions, were firing at a rate
    comparable to younger adults. These findings, if proven similar among humans,
    could signal better and more affordable treatment options for adults suffering from
    dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.
    There's actually plenty of research out there but it's all being hidden. I will try to find the page I once stumbled upon with about 400 links to various researches. We just have to talk more about it!

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon For This Post:

Bruno (13th September 2017), Bubu (21st September 2017), Cidersomerset (13th September 2017), Matt P (13th September 2017), starlight (14th September 2017)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,019 times in 927 posts

Everyone is different. My mother, now 71, has been pretty much a daily smoker since her mid twenties. She was always a professional woman who has directed many different non profits. She "retired" about 6 years ago but works more than ever running a horse farm tour business. She plays in a USTA league religiously and plays tennis almost every single day. She's the most active person I know. All while smoking every day. On business trips, vacations and during family gatherings she has absolutely no problem or ill effects from not smoking for several days at a time. Many people like to say marijuana is dangerous and addictive. I prefer to think it's the individual's addictive nature, not the plant.

Matt
    Fear is simply a consequence of a lack of information.

26. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Matt P For This Post:

Blacklight43 (13th September 2017), Bruno (21st September 2017), Bubu (14th September 2017), cascadian (11th May 2019), Chester (13th September 2017), Cidersomerset (13th September 2017), Ioneo (14th September 2017), Kate (20th September 2017), Ol' Roy (13th September 2017), petra (4th May 2018), seko (14th September 2017), starlight (14th September 2017)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Thanks very helpful. I know someone that has eld seeds for the last 12 years. Only the top shelf ones that can be cloned or grown or hydroponicly grown. When the buds on the female begin their Canabinoid processing, the smell is pungent and the males should not be kept in the same soil or it will homapho and it's hard to grow. I've got to get some more plastic for outside green house...
    These plants were the bitter herbs used for depression and disease for centuries, until the controllers stuck their greed driven hands in it. Wasn't nothing for Granpa's back pain or rhumatismic arthritis to be ailing and they would light a corn cob pipe, to relieve pain. Telling stories handed down and dream of a better day tomorrow. NOT just dream it, but DO IT.
    It helps with toleration of pain, to continue being productive. Whereas without it, you can't bare or tolerate the pain.What I like about it is it's not a opiod, but cannabinoid.
    Some people used coca leaves when working long hours with bad backs. WE aren't robots, so... we used Cannibis and never got addicted. In fact a tolerance can develop if you have chronic back disc pain and you can still open a more light duty/small business/dream and work it at your own pace. Our elders were productive in old age and looked great. AND they didn't have high rates of cancer.
    Last edited by Lifebringer; 13th September 2017 at 13:15.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

Blacklight43 (13th September 2017), Bruno (21st September 2017), Bubu (14th September 2017), Cidersomerset (13th September 2017), Matt P (13th September 2017)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mpennery (here)
    Everyone is different.
    Thanks for pointing this out. I think this is THE MOST important thing when we're talking about health and the effect of various substances on your body and mind. The effect of smoking can also impact the same person differently in different stages of life. And, of course, not everything is for everyone. Some might benefit greatly from smoking, some might get a negative experience.

Quote Posted by Lifebringer (here)
    These plants were the bitter herbs used for depression and disease for centuries
    Thanks for your input, Lifebringer. I can't believe I forgot to mention depression. Works better than anti depression pills, I'm sure.

Also, by "homapho" you meant hermaphrodites? Females turning into hermaphrodites if male plants are around? I haven't heard that before, I know stress can make them grow some male flowers, which in turn pollinate the plants and make themn produce more seeds instead of flowers only ...

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon For This Post:

Bruno (21st September 2017), Chester (13th September 2017), Justplain (21st September 2017), Matt P (13th September 2017), seko (14th September 2017)

31. Link to Post #16
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

Quote Posted by mpennery (here)
    Everyone is different. My mother, now 71, has been pretty much a daily smoker since her mid twenties. She was always a professional woman who has directed many different non profits. She "retired" about 6 years ago but works more than ever running a horse farm tour business. She plays in a USTA league religiously and plays tennis almost every single day. She's the most active person I know. All while smoking every day. On business trips, vacations and during family gatherings she has absolutely no problem or ill effects from not smoking for several days at a time. Many people like to say marijuana is dangerous and addictive. I prefer to think it's the individual's addictive nature, not the plant.

Matt
    Yes Matt I've been preaching this "everyone is different " and "listen to yourself" mantra. I have also experimented with everyday use but only one or 2 puffs depending on the strain. Actually when you stop after continuous use that's when you get a boost of physical and mental activity and then it will level off and then when you smoke again you get another boost that's of more relax in nature. And when I wanted a real boost I will stop for say a month puff a good dosage climb up my hammock up a mango tree and try to solve the problem mostly my innovations. And yes its not addictive. I've been out of it for almost a year now due to crackdown on "drugs" by our ignorant government but its also perfectly fine. no withdrawal issues and all. actually in out in out my whole life starting from when I was 19. And if I am only allowed to plant I would be using it as a tea probably more benefit.
    Last edited by Bubu; 14th September 2017 at 01:14.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bruno (21st September 2017)

33. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,509 times in 4,009 posts

What strikes me as odd about the U. S. "medical" push is that--at least so far--I don't see any acceptance by traditional medicinal herbalists of cannabis. And, I have not seen anything from the medical cannabis crowd that shows acceptance of the other herbs.

That missing bridge may be out there somewhere, if anyone is aware of it, please post it!

In India, Ayurveda, I am pretty sure it is all together as it has been for ages, but not in the West.

I cannot consider it a drug, as in "a narcotic", which an opium poppy would be: something that rapidly induces physical dependence, with the options of either a very sick withdrawal phase, or increasing the dose until you die.

The underlying theme of herbalism, is that, beyond a superficial level, human constitutions are quite varied, and so the "things to take" become highly tailored to the individual. Very little concept of oh...just extract compound x to treat symptom y. I mean, for some simple and general things, there can be standards, but for anything long term or complicated, no herbalist or Ayurvedic practitioner would be comfortable making an "automatic prescription" as, it seems, can be expected from allopathic doctors.

However, cannabis is a lot more interesting than a lot of those other plants, in part because of the huge variation within the species, and also in being an annual which produces a lot of usable stuff fairly quickly. With herbs, you use some "aerials" (flowers, leaves, etc.)...but with root medicine, that's 2+ years of growth needed, or some things call for bark, which either you would have to take very little, or grow a plant for a long time and take the whole thing.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Bruno (21st September 2017), Bubu (21st September 2017)

35. Link to Post #18
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

I've just met a real pot wizard. He has over twenty varieties on his 'menu' - all grown by him. Fresh, aromatic oils, too, of every type. It was a pleasure. It has been many years since I have been in the presence of such a master.

Brought home my supply...tasty and such a treat from my usual fare - no comparison.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Akasha (21st September 2017), Bruno (21st September 2017), Krist (21st September 2017)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,261 times in 1,414 posts

My mother-in-law has been kept alive by medicinal cannibis oil. She had a couple of heart attacks and then was diagnosed with breast cancer. The heart attacks meant she couldnt be put under general anaesthetic for breast removal surgery, otherwise she risked death. The allopaths had no other solution to offer. We heard of several cases from people we knew who had friends or relatives whom cannibis had helped. So we got some medicinal oil, lower thc to cbd ratio, and she started taking it. She had been bedridden for a month, lost tens of kilos and her haemoglobin count was dangerously low. About six weeks have transpired and she is now going outside, cooking the occasional meal and feels much better. Her tumor has shrunk to such an extent she is going in for surgery next week using only local anaesthetic.

People should know that cannibis can cure cancer. And it costs peanuts compared to the alternatives, in both physical and financial cost.
    Last edited by Justplain; 21st September 2017 at 01:03.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Akasha (21st September 2017), Bruno (21st September 2017), Bubu (21st September 2017), Krist (21st September 2017), Ol' Roy (21st September 2017)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

I smoke almost daily. My ritual is to have a few puffs after dinner and the evening chores are completed.

I don't think I am addicted to it. I can easily go days and have gone weeks without it.

I am excited about legalization coming to Canada next summer. As a gardener I can't wait to grow my own! I am planning on learning to make oils. I think my Mom who has had numerous surgeries could really benefit.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruno For This Post:

Krist (21st September 2017), LoneWolf76 (23rd September 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast