+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scientists create artificial muscles which could allow robots to lift 1,000 times their own weight

1. Link to Post #1
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

Default Scientists create artificial muscles which could allow robots to lift 1,000 times their own weight

Rise of the Machines.

"We've overcome one of the final barriers to making lifelike robots."

Constructed using 3D printing, the synthetic device is able to expand and contract just like a biological muscle, researchers say.

Scientists have developed an artificial muscle which they say could allow robots to lift 1,000 times their own weight.

Constructed using 3D printing, the synthetic, rubber-like device is controlled by a small electric current and is able to expand and contract just like a biological muscle.

Developed at the Creative Machines laboratory at Columbia University in New York and partially funded by the Israeli defence ministry, the muscle could be used for surgical robots which need to grip and manipulate tools.

Researchers found it had a strain density - the density of energy stored in each gram of a stretched elastic body - 15 times stronger than that of natural muscle.

Officially called a "soft actuator", it is able to lift 1,000 times its own weight, said the team, who have published their work in the journal Nature Communications.

http://news.sky.com/story/scientists...eight-11043010

I give it 20 years before they are walking past you unnoticed in the street !

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

avid (20th September 2017), Bob (20th September 2017), Bruno (20th September 2017), Lifebringer (20th September 2017), meeradas (25th September 2017), Nasu (23rd September 2017), Rich (20th September 2017), Star Tsar (20th September 2017), Sunny-side-up (20th September 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 times in 1,747 posts

Default Re: Scientists create artificial muscles which could allow robots to lift 1,000 times their own weight

We have come a long way

4. The Following User Says Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Nasu (23rd September 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Default Re: Scientists create artificial muscles which could allow robots to lift 1,000 times their own weight

I Robot Droid slaves in the corporations for Skynet and battle? That they/AI Robot, must either evolve their AI info gathering and processing? Face recognition if you don't buy the 5G? How will AI prevent their owners from implementing dangerous toxins to kill the life species on the planet, that harm no one? Hmm...interesting times we're living/witnessing.

I want the bad backs in America and the world, to be prevented from injury, so why must it always resemble a "human" instead of it's own beautiful tech body self. Is this to "sneak people in malls or gatherings" to spy? citizens and record conversations. If they perfect this, it could go So tricky to have to trust them/corporationsMIC, either way. Bravo for the technology, let's just keep this for the good in our generations, and there'll be no problems, right?
    We know the evil doers look to replace dissadents, but they are slowly losing volunteers for hell these days, so...perhaps they look to have mechanical slaves to do their bidding and fit in populations releasing toxins? I don't know, like I said it could go either way, where depopulation plans are plotted. Even movie theaters.
    Just saying these are very real and strange times, don't leave yourselves open to the smooth talker of a forked tongue.
    Careful peeps, eyes peeled for bs. Robots could also scan to see if the RFID chip is on a individual.
    Last edited by Lifebringer; 20th September 2017 at 10:49.

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Krist's Avatar
    Thanks

"Partially funded by the Israeli defense ministry" to grip surgical tools?
    Are they doing surgery with a jack hammer?

Great young minds in higher education funded by the defense industry.

Wonder what the offense industry is building?
    All kidding aside...Ive been in the labor industry all my life.3d printed tools & machinery on the job would change many things for us on the ground.
    Having a AI on my truck to lift heavy objects or sew a finger back on would be a leap for sure.Making an operable prosthetic in minutes....

Advancement in technology in the right hands has it's place as a benefit.
    It's unfortunate the defense industry might not be thinking of our backs.Lifting all that money though,could take some time with out that robot arm.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Krist For This Post:

meeradas (25th September 2017)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

My colleague in work has been off for the last 4 months ( 3 to go ) after having a prosthetic titanium implant inserted in his leg from hip to ankle due to bone cancer. This is the second attempt in 8 years. If this fails he looses his leg.
    This tech will one day give hope to people in his position in 20 years or sooner I hope.

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Virginia Commonwealth University researchers have achieved a feat that is a first in the fields of physics and chemistry — one that could have wide-ranging applications.

A team in the lab of Puru Jena, Ph.D., a distinguished professor in the Department of Physics in the College of Humanities and Sciences, has created the most stable tri-anion particle currently known to science. A tri-anion particle is a combination of atoms that contains three more electrons than protons. This discovery is novel because previously known tri-anion particles were unstable due to their numerical imbalance. These unstable particles dispel additional electrons, interrupting chemical reactions.

http://news.vcu.edu/research/VCU_phy...ssal_stability
    Last edited by Did You See Them; 21st September 2017 at 14:51.

10. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

New Male Sex Robots With Bionic Penises May Just Replace Men In The Pleasure Department.

http://www.rebelcircus.com/blog/new-...re-department/

11. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Did You See Them (here)
    Rise of the Machines.

"We've overcome one of the final barriers to making lifelike robots."

I give it 20 years before they are walking past you unnoticed in the street !
    I heard first about bionic "muscles" that contract with an electrical current well over 20 years ago - so this tech is not new and is not a "final" barrier to making robots move. What will allow this tech to become useful is powerful enough processors, feedback and optical sensors that can take that info and process it fast enough to know exactly how to overcome environmental hurdles like, gravity and moving say, bipedally, or over uneven ground, up stairs etc. and apply the solutions to the technology to make it work.

Helicopters were invented way before airplanes were -- yet it took over 100 years before a quad copter (drone) could actually be practical, due to similar restraints on processing power, sensors, and battery/fuel weight.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

12. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

When they announce advances in science/technology , I always remind myself that means they are far beyond what we are being told... I've heard science is 50 years ahead of what we are shown... So you can bet clones/robots are already moving about... Recall th he reporters talking jibberish ???
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

13. Link to Post #10
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

Quote Posted by Did You See Them (here)
    New Male Sex Robots With Bionic Penises May Just Replace Men In The Pleasure Department.

http://www.rebelcircus.com/blog/new-...re-department/
    there is a big difference between good imagination and insanity, too big to miss.

+ Reply to Thread