+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anyone like John Dee?

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Default Re: Anyone like John Dee?

I did read it (Herve's post) and I thought it was the best article on that I have ever read.

Foxie, I just love you. That comment about crawling out of the morass of the Pedo Empire and us being creators is spot on and you always make me giggle in a good way.

We need to think about a future with no mind control and torture, too.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), Foxie Loxie (21st September 2018), gaiagirl (21st September 2018), Tintin (21st September 2018)

3. Link to Post #42
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,753 times in 5,529 posts

Quote Posted by ichingcarpenter (here)
    John Dee: Scholar Courtier Magician - Video tour and interview by Gordon White of Rune Soup

''I was lucky enough to be shown around the Royal College of Physicians' John Dee exhibit in mid-January 2016.''

https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/mys...jects-john-dee
    This is wonderful, and the curator - Katie Birkwood - so genuinely very enthusiastic. Infectiously so.

I've been to the RCP a few times - once for a very interesting conference with the First Nations representatives from the Yukon and our academic team some 8 years or so ago (but that's a topic for a different thread potentially).

I never knew that this exhibition was there!

Thanks so much for sharing. I'll have to make a real mission to go back there specifically to see these artefacts, and books.

“If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), Foxie Loxie (21st September 2018), gaiagirl (21st September 2018), ichingcarpenter (20th September 2018), Valerie Villars (21st September 2018)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

The thing that struck me about Dee was that he seemed to be so sincerely searching. I don't know if he was mislead or not, but at least he was trying.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), Foxie Loxie (21st September 2018), Tintin (21st September 2018)

7. Link to Post #44
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,377 times in 8,335 posts

I watched this documentary of Dee. Based on this, my view of his determination to "know" something is that his story is a classic case of a cerebral quest folly. I've long help a view that the mind for mind's sake is a faulty facsimile of what real knowledge is about. This documentary rams that point home for me even harder than before.

I agree with all those "superstitious" simpletons in the early part of the story that said it was 'black' (not for any religious reason). For me, that cerebral determination IS the dark side. It's not what the mind is there for, imo.

..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), Foxie Loxie (21st September 2018), gaiagirl (21st September 2018), leavesoftrees (22nd September 2018), Valerie Villars (21st September 2018)

9. Link to Post #45
    Thanks

Yes Norman, I agree with your remarks. That's what always gives me pause when I read about those who are trying to mind muscle their way in to answers. The real answers lie within the heart.

However, that whole time period interests me greatly and I have read extensively about it. The thing that I DO like about Dee is that he loved and understood the value of books. In that sense, he was a man after my own heart.

I do think he had a fair amount of heart invested in his lifelong studies, obviously. When you read a biography of his life, he certainly did not profit financially from any of the work he did and was treated like an outcast in many respects.

Tintin, he certainly is fascinating. I'd love to see that exhibit. It would be a highlight of my life. I am a margin scribbler and doodler myself.
    Last edited by Valerie Villars; 21st September 2018 at 12:38.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), Foxie Loxie (21st September 2018), gaiagirl (21st September 2018), Tintin (21st September 2018)

11. Link to Post #46
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Norman, your remarks made me think, "Ivory Tower Scholars"!

Neils Bohr said to his son, "You're not THINKING, you're being logical!" It is such a shame we have not been taught who we are as Complete Beings....spiritual first! (Read that here on Avalon somewhere yesterday.)

As Ba-ba-Ra stated, we are driving the "car"....we are NOT the car!!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), gaiagirl (21st September 2018), Tintin (21st September 2018), Valerie Villars (21st September 2018)

13. Link to Post #47
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,753 times in 5,529 posts

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)

Tintin, he certainly is fascinating. I'd love to see that exhibit. It would be a highlight of my life. I am a margin scribbler and doodler myself.
    back, Valerie.

I may only be half joking when I suggest the time I do make to go and see it - whenever that may be - you should come along for the ride too! And it may be sooner rather than later, however we are measuring that time

How simply splendid that you're doodler - I've done similar things in the past, and occasionally still do

“If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), Foxie Loxie (21st September 2018)

15. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

Well, that would be quite a ride Tintin. I'm in south Louisiana. Maybe some angels will swing by and give me a ride there. Lord knows I've experienced stranger things than that.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), Foxie Loxie (21st September 2018), Tintin (21st September 2018)

17. Link to Post #49
    Thanks

Thanks for posting the John Dee special, Norman....it helps to understand the bigger picture of his life. Another lesson showing we should not "follow" anyone...not even an "angel"!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), Tintin (21st September 2018)

19. Link to Post #50
    Thanks

The angels I met were certainly not all they are cracked up to be. I'd rather be human unless I meet an angel that changes my mind.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), Foxie Loxie (22nd September 2018), Tintin (21st September 2018)

21. Link to Post #51
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,528 times in 642 posts

The angels I met were certainly not all they are cracked up to be. I'd rather be human unless I meet an angel that changes my mind.
    See, why don't you write a song with that, Valerie?

The angels I met
    were certainly not all they
    were cracked up to be
    If I met ol' John Dee
    Yeah, I'd probably up and flee

Those angels I met weren't
    exactly horrible
    but they weren't too kind
    I'd rather be a human
    unless I meet an angel who changes my mind

Yeah, I'd rather stick to bein' human
    'less some sweet angel I can find

(and so on...)

So many song possbilities lost into the Avalon vapors........
    Last edited by Caliban; 21st September 2018 at 23:54.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), Foxie Loxie (22nd September 2018), Valerie Villars (22nd September 2018)

23. Link to Post #52
    Thanks

Thanks Caliban. I've been writing my whole life. Many journals, poems, musings, etc. It's all on paper, except for this digital stuff, which I'm really not a fan of because unless it's on paper or something more permanent, it will be lost in time. I'm just not musically trained. I wish I was.

I do have a song (actually quite a few I wrote) about Bienville and so many other things. I can write lyrics rather easily.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Caliban (23rd September 2018), ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), Foxie Loxie (22nd September 2018)

25. Link to Post #53
    Thanks

Thanks Caliban. I've been writing my whole life. Many journals, poems, musings, etc. It's all on paper, except for this digital stuff, which I'm really not a fan of because unless it's on paper or something more permanent, it will be lost in time. I'm just not musically trained. I wish I was.
    I don't buy that musically trained thing. We're all "musically trained." Like Kantner said, "Go ride the music..." Music is for all of us to sing, not just the singers, if you know what I mean. (Sounds like another song

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th February 2024), Foxie Loxie (22nd September 2018), Valerie Villars (22nd September 2018)

27. Link to Post #54
    Thanks

I think it's called "The Mists of Avalon". It's written in the aether, (sp.); it never goes away. Our human minds just want to grasp it but maybe we shouldn't.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (22nd September 2018)

29. Link to Post #55
    Thanks

I think it's called "The Mists of Avalon". It's written in the aether, (sp.); it never goes away. Our human minds just want to grasp it but maybe we shouldn't.
    Ha Ha that's another song beginning there... I'm hearing everything in song lyrics these days... Music is everything, especially when it's nothing, when we forget it, it remembers us, calls us silently back

(that's really where you find the angels)

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (22nd September 2018), Valerie Villars (22nd September 2018)

31. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Caliban (here)
    Ha Ha that's another song beginning there... I'm hearing everything in song lyrics these days... Music is everything, especially when it's nothing, when we forget it, it remembers us, calls us silently back

(that's really where you find the angels)
    I know Caliban. I'm sort of impressed and kind of not. They are modern day troubadours; poets. The harbingers are as flawed as we are.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Caliban (22nd September 2018), Foxie Loxie (22nd September 2018)

33. Link to Post #57
    Thanks

After hearing the end of John Dee's story concerning the "angel"....don't think I want to meet any!!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Valerie Villars (22nd September 2018)

35. Link to Post #58
    Thanks

I know this is dumb, but I really wanted my angels to have wings. I can't even have normal angels. Mine were all musicians or homeless. Why can't my angels have wings and other pretty things?

Caliban, I just meant I can't play any instruments, but I can write songs/lyrics.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (23rd September 2018)

37. Link to Post #59
    Thanks

I know this is dumb, but I really wanted my angels to have wings. I can't even have normal angels. Mine were all musicians or homeless. Why can't my angels have wings and other pretty things?

Caliban, I just meant I can't play any instruments, but I can write songs/lyrics.
    You can sing and the voice is the first and primal instrument. Everything comes after that, the human voice.

Your angels prob'ly didn't want to freak you out, so they pretended to be street people or guitar players. The angel is inside you. That white hot glow of passion. The cool violet tinge of release and letting everything go. The angel is in the mirror. The angel is in your voice.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (23rd September 2018), Valerie Villars (23rd September 2018)

39. Link to Post #60
    Thanks

Thanks Caliban. That bought tears to my eyes. That is really beautiful. But if they just had said they were angels, it would have been easier.

I sing all the time.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (23rd September 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast