+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Russians revive ice age flowers from a burrow

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 times in 752 posts

Default Russians revive ice age flowers from a burrow

Hi there,

Science when working for the right purposes it can do great things.

I think it's great to bring back to life flowers and may be animals, but will it be good for these plants and animals to come back from the death??

Quote It was an Ice Age squirrel's treasure chamber, a burrow containing fruit and seeds that had been stuck in the Siberian permafrost for over 30,000 years. From the fruit tissues, a team of Russian scientists managed to resurrect an entire plant in a pioneering experiment that paves the way for the revival of other species.

The Silene stenophylla is the oldest plant ever to be regenerated, the researchers said, and it is fertile, producing white flowers and viable seeds.
    Name:  9c6f3bcd-3a5b-4e59-a0bd-1db7b7f24dfb-big.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  25.8 KB
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 21st February 2012 at 01:34. Reason: fix quoting
    Breathe in the air

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to seko For This Post:

<8> (21st February 2012), BMJ (21st February 2012), Cjay (21st February 2012), DreamsInDigital (21st February 2012), gaiagirl (21st February 2012), meeradas (21st February 2012), modwiz (21st February 2012), seehas (21st February 2012), SomaSmith (21st February 2012), Turcurulin (21st February 2012), WhiteFeather (21st February 2012), Wind (21st February 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 times in 1,148 posts

Default Re: Russians revive ice age flowers from a burrow

Playing God. Should we or shouldn't we?

We could possibly ressurect many of the species that we have caused to become extinct over the past few hundred years. Just because we could doesn't mean we should. Humans have a very bad track record of getting it horribly wrong.

Perhaps we should leave the DNA tinkering to a race or species who possess far more intelligence and wisdom than we do.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

seko (21st February 2012), Turcurulin (21st February 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Virgin Islands Avalon Member Selene's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,225 times in 1,108 posts

I find it oddly reassuring that 30,000 years later the descendants of this plant still grow in the same region where these seeds were found.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Selene For This Post:

modwiz (21st February 2012), seko (21st February 2012), Turcurulin (21st February 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 times in 752 posts

Quote Playing God. Should we or shouldn't we?
    That is a very important question and I will tell you ...No we shouldn't.

But somebody will think otherwise and do it. ......
    Breathe in the air

8. The Following User Says Thank You to seko For This Post:

Turcurulin (21st February 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,961 times in 1,379 posts

We're the only race that thinks there is something immoral about "tinkering" with DNA, Genetics, Resurrecting extinct animals etc. Personally I don't think anything of it being wrong or playing "god" (specially when "he" "it" doesn't even exist!). If it wasn't for multiple ET/ED races tweaking with genetics, dna etc, we wouldn't even be here to begin with. And, what is to debate about, when Clones, Organic Robitoids, and Synthetics (slightly different form of the Organic Robitoids) etc and Genetic Experiments have already been taking place "behind the scenes" for decades. There could be some great leaps and bounds made in health industry and correcting/curing genetic diseases if we could get over our archaic rediculous hangups regarding this kind of stuff.

I really think if we didn't have these kind of hang ups, there wouldn't be the need for places like Mount Hood , Oregon, And D-6 Base etc where they've been doing the genetic experiments and such on combining human, alien and animal dna/genetics for decades. "Behind The Scenes."
    "Ignoring the evidence is simply another way of ignoring the truth."
    "Reality is always hard to accept whenever it is unpleasant. Our minds play tricks and tell us it just cannot be. Instead of accepting the truth as it is when it disturbs us, we try to deny its existence."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DreamsInDigital For This Post:

Holly Lindin (21st February 2012), Turcurulin (21st February 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Quote Posted by seko (here)
    Hi there,

Science when working for the right purposes it can do great things.

I think it's great to bring back to life flowers and may be animals, but will it be good for these plants and animals to come back from the death??

Quote It was an Ice Age squirrel's treasure chamber, a burrow containing fruit and seeds that had been stuck in the Siberian permafrost for over 30,000 years. From the fruit tissues, a team of Russian scientists managed to resurrect an entire plant in a pioneering experiment that paves the way for the revival of other species.

The Silene stenophylla is the oldest plant ever to be regenerated, the researchers said, and it is fertile, producing white flowers and viable seeds.
    Attachment 13967
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    There is no death, only drawing back to source fields which are undying. As long as the calling forth is organic and the creating of conditions for a re-emergence, this is a beautiful thing. It is only in distortion of emanations of source fields that illness results. Plants can be 'asked' to do many different things and ,with love, they will acquiesce. It was either Carver ot Burbank who created cacti and roses without thorns simply by working with the devas of the plants and letting them know they would be safe without their spines.
    Last edited by modwiz; 21st February 2012 at 03:20.

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 times in 1,148 posts

Quote Posted by DreamsInDigital (here)
    We're the only race that thinks there is something immoral about "tinkering" with DNA, Genetics, Resurrecting extinct animals etc.
    I have no moral qualms about it. I am all for advancing science and developing our knowledge and technologies in areas like stem cells and gene therapy. I'm thinking more about practical consequences. Plants, insects, larger animals or much smaller things like viruses, bacteria, fungi, protozoa could potentially create huge problems locally or globally, even decimate entire species, including humans.

I caution that humans are greedy, irresponsible, careless, fallible and downright stupid. All it takes is one malicious act or one accident and the consequences could be devestating.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

DreamsInDigital (21st February 2012), seko (21st February 2012), Turcurulin (21st February 2012)

14. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cjay (here)
    I caution that humans are greedy, irresponsible, careless, fallible and downright stupid. All it takes is one malicious act or one accident and the consequences could be devestating.
    So true. Maybe we could start by resurrecting all of the species, plant and animal, that have been made extinct unnaturally through human influence. But, if they turn into zombies... I was never here!
    Last edited by Turcurulin; 26th February 2012 at 04:22.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Turcurulin For This Post:

seko (21st February 2012)

16. Link to Post #9
    Sweden Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,114 times in 1,725 posts

When an animal goes extinct, the environment where it lived changes. It
    closes the gap. I know of no animal that was extinct that we have restored
    succesfully and brought back to nature. Do you know any? We have a lot of
    species at Zoos and breedingstations all over that only exist under those
    conditions today. But maybe they will have to stay there.

Jorr

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jorr lundstrom For This Post:

modwiz (21st February 2012), seko (21st February 2012), Turcurulin (26th February 2012)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 times in 818 posts

I hate to say this, but I've found almost every "disclosure" out of Russia to be a lie or an exaggeration. I really doubt they have got this old plant to grow. There's been plenty of hoaxes like "screaming sounds of souls in Hell under Siberia," Mammoths alive in the Russian woods, Alien bodies & crashed UFOs. I've decided not to believe without a lot of evidence.
    “There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” -- Carl Jung

"To see the farm is to leave the farm."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mulder For This Post:

seko (21st February 2012)

+ Reply to Thread