+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arctic climate change 'to spark domino effect'

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,461 times in 2,849 posts

Default Arctic climate change 'to spark domino effect'

I'm interested in hearing the opinions of those who believe that Global Warming is a farce. What do you think is causing these issues?

Arctic climate change 'to spark domino effect'

WA-based scientists have warned of "dire consequences" to the human race after detecting the first signs of dangerous climate change in the Arctic.

The scientists, from the University of WA, claim the region is fast approaching a series of imminent "tipping points" which could trigger a domino effect of large-scale climate change across the entire planet.

In a paper published in the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences' journal AMBIO and Nature Climate Change, the lead author and director of UWA's Oceans Institute, Winthrop Professor Carlos Duarte, said the Arctic region contained arguably the greatest concentration of potential tipping elements for global climate change.

"If set in motion, they can generate profound climate change which places the Arctic not at the periphery but at the core of the Earth system," Professor Duarte said. "There is evidence that these forces are starting to be set in motion."

"This has major consequences for the future of human kind as climate change progresses."
    Professor Duarte said the loss of Arctic summer sea ice forecast over the next four decades − if not before − was expected to have abrupt knock-on effects in northern mid-latitudes, including Beijing, Tokyo, London, Moscow, Berlin and New York.

Research showed that the Arctic was warming at three times the global average and the loss of sea ice – which had melted faster in summer than predicted − was linked tentatively to recent extreme cold winters in Europe.

Professor Duarte − winner of last year's prestigious Prix d'Excellence awarded by the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea − said the most dangerous aspect of Arctic climate change was the risk of passing critical "tipping points".

In the next 10 years, Professor Duarte warned summer sea ice could be largely confined to north of coastal Greenland and Ellesmere Island, and was likely to disappear entirely by mid-century.
    A drop in Arctic ice had opened new shipping routes, expanded oil, gas and mineral exploitation and led to new harbours, houses, roads, airports, power stations and other support facilities.
    It had triggered a new gold rush to access these resources, with recent struggles by China, Brazil and India to join the Arctic Council where the split of these resources was being discussed.
    But increased deposits of black carbon (soot) from coal-burning power stations had accelerated warming and ice melt.

Professor Duarte said the rate of Arctic climate change was now faster than ecosystems and traditional Arctic societies could adapt to.

The Arctic was expected to stop being a carbon dioxide sink and become a source of greenhouse gases if seawater temperatures rose by 4-5C.

"It represents a test of our capacity as scientists, and as societies to respond to abrupt climate change," Professor Duarte said.

"We need to stop debating the existence of tipping points in the Arctic and start managing the reality of dangerous climate change.

"We argue that tipping points do not have to be points of no return.

"Several tipping points, such as the loss of summer sea ice, may be reversible in principle − although hard in practice.

"However, should these changes involve extinction of key species − such as polar bears, walruses, ice-dependent seals and more than 1000 species of ice algae − the changes could represent a point of no return.

"Confusion distracts attention from the urgent need to focus on developing early warning indicators of abrupt climate change, address its human causes and rebuild resilience in climate, ecosystems and communities."

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

13th Warrior (3rd February 2012), Carmen (3rd February 2012), christian (3rd February 2012), Corncrake (3rd February 2012), crosby (3rd February 2012), ghostrider (3rd February 2012), gooty64 (3rd February 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (3rd February 2012), ktlight (3rd February 2012), Lazlo (3rd February 2012), modwiz (3rd February 2012), Ol' Roy (3rd February 2012), Referee (4th February 2012), Ria (3rd February 2012), TargeT (3rd February 2012), Wind (4th February 2012), zebowho (3rd February 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,191 times in 5,447 posts

Default Re: Arctic climate change 'to spark domino effect'

The frame up is awkward for me here Rahkyt. Climate change, whether warming or cooling seems obvious to me. Big question: Did we cause it, is it anthropogenic? I think not.

The huge baby with this bathwater is pollution. Water, land and air. It is anthropogenic and life threatening in a way that is obvious.
    Species coming and going is the way of Gaia, the fossil records confirm this. The dodo was an anthropogenic extinction. There have been others.

I feel global climate change is part and parcel of galactic existence. The fossil and ice records seem to confirm this. The Medieval Warm Period (950-1250 AD) is within historical memory and it was a very good period for Europe. The more recent Little Ice Age (1550-1850).

I think reports/evidence of other planets in the Solar System showing signs of warming is part of our galactic journey and could not possible be anthropogenic in nature.

In closing, your original question about Arctic climate change creating a domino is reasonable and has merit. If there is a fix it would involve release of free energy technology. Two birds with one stone here: 1- If, very huge if, our emissions have anything to do with this then the cessation/curtailing would be accomplished. 2- Cooling or heating to make ourselves more comfortable to be able to carry on life with as little disturbance as possible would be accomplished.

All of this is the hands of a few, until the many do something about 'them'.

4. Link to Post #3
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,658 times in 8,694 posts

such a joke...

here's a little REALITY from a guy that has SEEN IT (with my own two little eye balls)

Bering Sea ice threatens crab fishery
    Quote Sea ice is encroaching unusually early on the central Bering Sea, threatening to grind Alaska's economically important snow crab fishery to a halt at the peak of the season, leaving crabbers facing major losses.

Earlier-than-expected ice is moving south over prime crabbing grounds, forcing boats away from their catch and putting millions of dollars of equipment in jeopardy.

These kind of "mother nature effects" are part of the fishing business everywhere, said Karen Gillis, the executive director of the Bering Sea Fishermen's Association.

But this fishery, which was expected to net 80 million pounds this year, hasn't seen a natural event like this in 20 years, she said, and it could have a devastating economic impact on crabbers and their families.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/01/2...#storylink=cpy

Yeah..... so Mines real and I've seen it (granted, from a blackhawk, not the same as on the ground or w/e) where's your from, where's your first hand knowledge?

I'm tired of being spoon-fed info,, the spoon tastes funny to me.

I'l agree that we are experiencing climate change, but no different than any-other time and GOD DAMN its arrogant to think our tiny species is doing this...

How much energy does it take to increase a large lake 1* ? start looking into the scale of this stuff and it becomes a joke that we have an impact like we are summizing.

& don't forget we are at an 11 year solar maximum (and the completion of many cycles this year)

SO MANY VARIABLES, and yet HUMANS.. CARBON are the cause?
    Last edited by TargeT; 3rd February 2012 at 06:08.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Godiam (3rd February 2012), Lazlo (3rd February 2012), Mark (3rd February 2012), NancyV (3rd February 2012)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by modwiz (here)
    The frame up is awkward for me here Rahkyt. Climate change, whether warming or cooling seems obvious to me. Big question: Did we cause it, is it anthropogenic? I think not.
    I think that has been the question as framed politically but it doesn't matter, does it, as we have to deal with it no matter how it happened, hm?

I feel global climate change is part and parcel of galactic existence. The fossil and ice records seem to confirm this. The Medieval Warm Period (950-1250 AD) is within historical memory and it was a very good period for Europe. The more recent Little Ice Age (1550-1850).
    The Maunder Minimum, or something like that. Had to do with the Sunspot cycles, if my memory serves me correctly. An anomaly, to be sure, but indicative of larger trends? The only hard and fast trend that mainstream science can really agree upon is that ice cores show that interglacials are relatively short in duration, while Ice Ages are long. And then there is the Snowball Earth theory, which tends to upend even that contention. With some potential merit, in my view, I might add.

I think reports/evidence of other planets in the Solar System showing signs of warming is part of our galactic journey and could not possible be anthropogenic in nature.
    People always quote the Russians on this one but no one has ever shown me a good scientific article from a climatologist or meteorologist or even an astronomer corroborating it. Would you by any chance have any good information that links to a good scientific study showing this?

In closing, your original question about Arctic climate change creating a domino is reasonable and has merit. If there is a fix it would involve release of free energy technology. Two birds with one stone here: 1- If, very huge if, our emissions have anything to do with this then the cessation/curtailing would be accomplished. 2- Cooling or heating to make ourselves more comfortable to be able to carry on life with as little disturbance as possible would be accomplished.
    That would be really nice if it were a good thing for us to continue on as is without having to change our behavior and treatment of the planet.

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    such a joke...

here's a little REALITY from a guy that has SEEN IT (with my own two little eye balls)
    Thank you for sharing the benefit of your experience TargeT. There's nothing better than someone on the scene to corroborate local conditions.

Yeah..... so Mines real and I've seen it (granted, from a blackhawk, not the same as on the ground or w/e) where's your from, where's your first hand knowledge?
    I live in Canada now so no, I have not been to the Arctic myself to see it firsthand if that is what you are asking me. What I have done is study meteorology and climatology in both a Masters graduate program and a PhD program, as well as taught labs and general physical geography classes to undergrads for over a decade. So I do have the benefit of being immersed in the 'accepted viewpoint' of the mainstream for quite some time. Notice that, in my original post, I never came down for or against "global warming", I stated only:

Quote I'm interested in hearing the opinions of those who believe that Global Warming is a farce. What do you think is causing these issues?
    The emotionality that you include in your short response is therefore wasted, as I am not invested in either view. Merely curious as to what people think and what their reasons for thinking it are. With that stated, your personal experience says nothing to the overall trend that is occurring over a number of years. It is quite possible for local conditions to occur even in the Arctic that are not in line with the general conditions and trends, just as it is possible for the same to occur everywhere, in every climate zone in every part of the world. One year can be different from a number of years, and yet, statistically speaking, over a specific time-frame ( a decade. for instance), that one year only raises the average temperature, it doesn't negate the trend. And, it is quite well known, climatalogically, that a general increase in warming has always led directly to the onset of a new Ice Age. So, seemingly quixotically, global warming creates the conditions necessary for global cooling.

I would agree wholeheartedly with your edit, I personally do not think it is all anthropogenic in nature. I believe it is cyclical and a part of the galatic cycles and the movement of our solar system that Modwiz speaks to above, but it is very difficult to find any type of articles or research that directly addresses the possibility.

Those who think there is some validity to global warming do not think that it is only carbon dioxide that is at issue. There are quite a number of greenhouse gases in addition to that one. Right now, the methane releases occuring up there in the Arctic are quite troubling.

Have you seen those with your own eyes as well?
    Last edited by Mark; 3rd February 2012 at 06:28.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

13th Warrior (3rd February 2012), Carmen (3rd February 2012), ktlight (3rd February 2012), Lazlo (3rd February 2012), Ol' Roy (3rd February 2012), truth will win out (3rd February 2012), zebowho (3rd February 2012)

8. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member Ineffable Hitchhiker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,854 times in 495 posts

Hi Rahkyt,
    you know, I would take these statements very seriously if I didn´t know that there is advanced technology out there that is being surpressed. Just one example - Tesla.
    I do think that the scientist are making a meal out of what happens to planet earth on a cyclical basis. ie. WE pay for their meal, while they make up stories to feed our fear.
    The heart knows a hundred thousand ways to speak.
    ~ rumi

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ineffable Hitchhiker For This Post:

ktlight (3rd February 2012), Mark (3rd February 2012), NancyV (3rd February 2012)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ineffable Hitchhiker (here)
    I do think that the scientist are making a meal out of what happens to planet earth on a cyclical basis. ie. WE pay for their meal, while they make up stories to feed our fear.
    You do make a very palpable point, there. There is always that potentiality to consider. Mainstream science is a fraternity of priests and priestesses, imho, just like any other religion. And the fundamental suppositions of their dogma are often just as shaky when you get down to examining them in detail. Discernment is always key. Thank you for your comment.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Ineffable Hitchhiker (3rd February 2012), NancyV (3rd February 2012)

12. Link to Post #7
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

Notice how the catch phrase has gone from "GLOBAL WARMING" to "CLIMATE CHANGE" !

There is no doubt that the Earth is experiencing a period of climate change, but the Global warming that goverments were using as an excuse to impose more taxes on us (I live in Australia, and we are about to be hit with a Carbon Tax) has haerdly been proven, and I believe that the warming period, is just a precursor to a cooling of the planet! ie; A MINI ICEAGE!

You just have to look at the events currently in parts of Europe to see that ther is most certainly something changing within the Earths climate! but HUMAN CAUSED GLOBAL WARMING, I don't think so!

It is all part of a cyclic change that has happened before in history, and it is only the sleepy sheeple that believe the crap told to us by Goverment Sponsered Scientist and the media that cannot report the facts, even if it slapped them in the face!

There will be some species that become extinct as we move through the coming CLIMATE CHANGE, as there will be species that have mass migrations to survive this shift, But that is what we are facing, a shift in Climate Patterns, I believe it is all to do with the shift in the conciosness of humanity and in Gaia herself, Therefore it may seem like some people way of life is coming to an end, but we will adapt as we have before! IT IS ALL CYCLIC!!

People think I am strange when I tell them that we are heading for a period of cooling (but the Goverment/Scientist tell us the Earth is warming up) I guess that they will have to see it for themselves, before they realise the TRUTH!

HUGS.....Godiam

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godiam For This Post:

Mark (3rd February 2012), NancyV (3rd February 2012), zebowho (3rd February 2012)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,658 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Rahkyt (here)
    . I believe it is cyclical and a part of the galatic cycles and the movement of our solar system that Modwiz speaks to above, but it is very difficult to find any type of articles or research that directly addresses the possibility.

Those who think there is some validity to global warming do not think that it is only carbon dioxide that is at issue. There are quite a number of greenhouse gases in addition to that one. Right now, the methane releases occuring up there in the Arctic are quite troubling.

Have you seen those with your own eyes as well?
    I have an emotional charge on this I think because its one of the first ways I " opened my mind", reading about environmental terrorism etc like the article you posted (economic terrorism really) no real reason at all.. haha

I don't see how an energetic event like this years solar maximum could NOT greatly modify what we are used to, but I'm not sure if its even something to worry about if you've intelligently picked your living area to begin with (like not living under water in Louisiana or not living on a fault line etc..) there I don't see it as actionable information.

& I don't make it up to the arctic ever really.. but black hawk pilots have to log a LOT of hours,, & I do get to ride along every once in a while

Hi Rahkyt,
    you know, I would take these statements very seriously if I didn´t know that there is advanced technology out there that is being surpressed. Just one example - Tesla.
    Fear modivates...

You do make a very palpable point, there. There is always that potentiality to consider. Mainstream science is a fraternity of priests and priestesses, imho, just like any other religion. And the fundamental suppositions of their dogma are often just as shaky when you get down to examining them in detail. Discernment is always key. Thank you for your comment.
    its unfortunate that a great mind cannot profit with out a way to make ... profit... haha?

we encourage the wrong things for sure
    Last edited by TargeT; 3rd February 2012 at 06:55.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Mark (3rd February 2012), NancyV (3rd February 2012)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Greetings:

Quote Posted by Godiam (here)
    There is no doubt that the Earth is experiencing a period of climate change, but the Global warming that goverments were using as an excuse to impose more taxes on us (I live in Australia, and we are about to be hit with a Carbon Tax) has haerdly been proven, and I believe that the warming period, is just a precursor to a cooling of the planet! ie; A MINI ICEAGE!
    From my post above:

Quote And, it is quite well known, climatalogically, that a general increase in warming has always led directly to the onset of a new Ice Age. So, seemingly quixotically, global warming creates the conditions necessary for global cooling.
    There will be some species that become extinct as we move through the coming CLIMATE CHANGE, as there will be species that have mass migrations to survive this shift, But that is what we are facing, a shift in Climate Patterns, I believe it is all to do with the shift in the conciosness of humanity and in Gaia herself, Therefore it may seem like some people way of life is coming to an end, but we will adapt as we have before! IT IS ALL CYCLIC!!
    From my post above:

Quote I would agree wholeheartedly with your edit, I personally do not think it is all anthropogenic in nature. I believe it is cyclical and a part of the galatic cycles and the movement of our solar system that Modwiz speaks to above, but it is very difficult to find any type of articles or research that directly addresses the possibility.

People think I am strange when I tell them that we are heading for a period of cooling (but the Goverment/Scientist tell us the Earth is warming up) I guess that they will have to see it for themselves, before they realise the TRUTH!
    I don't think you're strange at all. In fact, I agree with much of what you say. So if you are strange, then we are strange. Wait a minute. Perhaps we are. I would only state in addition to your comments that science itself is not problematic. There is nothing wrong with a scientific method, and research, and repeatability in experimentation for certain types of studies. It is when science is enslaved by politics that it becomes problematic and a tool of oppression and disinformation. There are many who practice science who have done the world a lot of good.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

13th Warrior (3rd February 2012), Godiam (3rd February 2012), NancyV (3rd February 2012)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,514 times in 428 posts

Just because something gets exploited by the elite doesn't mean itisn't real. I'm a gardener I see the changes first hand and they worry me.

Before I gave up flying I did it a lot and I've seen for myself the impact man has had on the planet. I'm really worried that mans impact on the environment could tip us into a severe ice age (ironically by causing warming ) I'm watching the methane releases in the arctic sea and the Siberian tundra with trepidation.

If it wasn't for global dimming (and that's what I think chemtrails are for ) it'd be much worse.

I think it's short sighted to dismiss it all simply because the elite are milking the situation, they milk everything.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joedjemal For This Post:

13th Warrior (3rd February 2012), Carmen (3rd February 2012), Mark (3rd February 2012)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

I have an emotional charge on this I think because its one of the first ways I " opened my mind", reading about environmental terrorism etc like the article you posted (economic terrorism really) no real reason at all.. haha
    There's always a reason, all are valid if we each find them so. The environment is the way a lot of people got woken up and I'm sure it will continue to be a major funnel of souls into a more conscious awareness of what is going on, as we live in the environment daily and coming into knowledge about how it is doing is a wake-up call for the world. I read up on this stuff regularly to stay in touch with the 'propaganda', to see what they're trying to get over now. I picked this one purposefully because of its general nature and the fact that it remains relatively neutral in assigning blame or even causation to any particular source. As with everything, time will tell. Scientists are notorious for being slow with their predictions, often, the things they say will happen occur much sooner rather than later. Or, they don't occur at all as conditions change. So we will most definitely see, one way or the other.

Quote Posted by joedjemal (here)
    Just because something gets exploited by the elite doesn't mean itisn't real.
    Sometimes its hard to separate the bull**** filter from a general distrust of anything coming from an authority figure for a lot of folks, I suppose. Especially if you're not into the details of the science or know how it can be manipulated, or, if you are not privy to the shifts by being able to witness them firsthand in your immediate environment, although I don't know how anybody could not recognize the strangeness after the weather weirdness of the past few years.

Before I gave up flying I did it a lot and I've seen for myself the impact man has had on the planet. I'm really worried that mans impact on the environment could tip us into a severe ice age (ironically by causing warming ) I'm watching the methane releases in the arctic sea and the Siberian tundra with trepidation.
    That's what I've got my eye on primarily as well. Warming in the Arctic ocean melts those clathrates at the bottom, which, at some point, will lead to a non-reversible effect that will chain down the rest of the globe. The increased heat leads to more moisture, rain, snow, cloud cover, which will lead to global cooling. Fun stuff. The only debate is when and how long it will take. The ice cores seem to suggest that it takes a long time to warm back up into an interglacial, but getting back into an Ice Age happens fast. Relatively speaking.

If it wasn't for global dimming (and that's what I think chemtrails are for ) it'd be much worse.
    It's good to see someone ascribing positive intentions for chemtrails lol you hardly hear or see that these days. I personally don't know for sure but it sure would be nice if they did have the health of the planet at heart. Whether it will do any good or not remains to be seen, I suppose. Thanks for dropping by, Joel, good ta see ya.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

joedjemal (3rd February 2012), Lazlo (3rd February 2012), TargeT (4th February 2012)

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,300 times in 5,193 posts

The science is still very young, which means so is the learning curve.

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

What aspect of science are you speaking about, ktlight? the oceanography? meteorology? climatology? I suppose that is relative to perspective. Some of the observations, particularly those having to do with ice cores gleaned from Antarctica, process data that goes back thousands and thousands of years.

24. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,885 times in 912 posts

Hi Rahkyt,

I like your approach to addressing this subject, thank you!

How familiar are you with the ice core studies and the information that comes from them that states that CO2 levels are tied to temperature levels?

I often hear people quoting this information and referring to the "cyclical nature" of these trends and the implied nature of the temperature increase as leading the CO2 increase.
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Lazlo (3rd February 2012), Mark (3rd February 2012)

26. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 13th Warrior (here)
    I like your approach to addressing this subject, thank you!
    Thanks, I've spent a bit of time considering it all. There are things I used to teach in the classroom that were the accepted dogma at the time. There are also things that I know now that negate much of that. The experience has left me in a position to understand the general confusion over these issues and the systemic mis-education. In my view, we're all ignorant, even those of us who think we know. There is always more information to be had ...

How familiar are you with the ice core studies and the information that comes from them that states that CO2 levels are tied to temperature levels?

I often hear people quoting this information and referring to the "cyclical nature" of these trends and the implied nature of the temperature increase as leading the CO2 increase.
    I am relatively familiar with it. There's a lot of info out there on google. Without going after it now, I can state that the main argument is the whole chicken/egg thing. Which comes first, the rising temperatures or the increase in greenhouse gases? The Permian extinction is used as an example of greenhouse gas rise caused by volcanic eruptions ( massive co2 releases) that led to the largest mass extinction in this planets history, an increase of about 6 degrees farenheit and the onset of a new ice age. The entire process took thousands of years.

What is different today is that we do not have the volcanic releases yet. But they are inevitable if the temperature continues to rise. There seems to be a connection between the sun, the atmosphere and the earth, although the science on that remains tentative and, I suspect, kept from public purview. Hope that helps.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

13th Warrior (3rd February 2012), Carmen (3rd February 2012), Lazlo (3rd February 2012), NancyV (3rd February 2012)

28. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

I was fishing for a specific response and it wasn't the one you gave but, that's quite alright.

When people point to the ice core study that shows a correlation of temperature rise and CO2 rise and the cyclical models that have been adapted; they forget to point out that when we look at the time periods that would indicate a temperature/co2 rise that the actual CO2 rise is 30% larger than should be expected.

And along that same line of presented information in regards to the solar cycles and the heating and cooling of the Earth; the fact that the Earth's mean temperature has increased during the longest solar minimum we've recorded so far...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

TargeT (4th February 2012)

30. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

I was fishing for a specific response and it wasn't the one you gave but, that's quite alright.
    A, a trick question. I am familiar with those.

When people point to the ice core study that shows a correlation of temperature rise and CO2 rise and the cyclical models that have been adapted; they forget to point out that when we look at the time periods that would indicate a temperature/co2 rise that the actual CO2 rise is 30% larger than should be expected.
    What study are you referring to? Do you have a link? So that we can speak on it directly?

And along that same line of presented information in regards to the solar cycles and the heating and cooling of the Earth; the fact that the Earth's mean temperature has increased during the longest solar minimum we've recorded so far...
    Solar cycles are a tricky thing. That two year period we had a year or so ago where there were virtually no sunspots surprised everyone, the scientists who thought they knew everything most of all. Nothing like that had ever been documented before. What is the correlation between your first point, re the higher than expect co2 rise and your second point, re the long solar minimum?

31. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member Lazlo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,735 times in 581 posts

Regarding the scientific view of cyclicality, the most popular explanation for the cause of ice ages is astronomical. In short, the conditions line up when the maximum obliquity of our orbit coincides with with the maximum tilt of our rotational axis. It's a bit more complicated than this, but that's the general idea. Where the problems arise is in applying that thought to timescales that are more in line with human perspectives, and then correlating inputs such as sunspot activity, cosmic rays, and consequently...cloud formation.

It is well established that water vapor is the most impactful variable in climate. And yet, climate models do not take water vapor and cloud formation into consideration because it is too complex and chaotic to model.

Let me rephrase that for clarity. Climate models do not incorporate the largest known contributing factor for the Earth's climate.

It was this bit of information that led me to question the prevailing scientific wisdom regarding climate change.

This was a tough admission for me, because I have made a career out of alternative energy. Many moons ago I made the decision that I was going to live my life as if climate change was established fact. What harm could it do? I would buy local, recycle, be energy efficient, and go off-grid.
    I now am responsible for a porfolio of solar farms that provide enough clean energy to power a city of 140,000 people, and am going to double that before the end of the year.

I still believe that alternative energy is a good thing. Do you want to live next to a solar farm, a nuclear plant, a surface coal mine, or a hydrofracking operation? But I am no longer sure that we are having the effect on the climate that the MSM would have us believe.
    Just because I took the red pill, it doesn't mean that I washed it down with the koolaid

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lazlo For This Post:

Ineffable Hitchhiker (3rd February 2012), Mark (4th February 2012), NancyV (3rd February 2012), Tarka the Duck (3rd February 2012)

33. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member Lazlo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,735 times in 581 posts

What is different today is that we do not have the volcanic releases yet. But they are inevitable if the temperature continues to rise.
    Can you elaborate? Higher surface temperatures are tied to an increase in volcanic activity? Melting ice and redistribution of water leads to isostatic rebound of the crust?
    Last edited by Lazlo; 3rd February 2012 at 17:31.
    Just because I took the red pill, it doesn't mean that I washed it down with the koolaid

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Lazlo For This Post:

Mark (4th February 2012)

35. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

A, a trick question. I am familiar with those.

What study are you referring to? Do you have a link? So that we can speak on it directly?

Solar cycles are a tricky thing. That two year period we had a year or so ago where there were virtually no sunspots surprised everyone, the scientists who thought they knew everything most of all. Nothing like that had ever been documented before. What is the correlation between your first point, re the higher than expect co2 rise and your second point, re the long solar minimum?
    Not a trick question; just a way to gauge your response.

I wasn't thinking of any specific study but, this one will do for now:

http://www.daviesand.com/Choices/Pre...ning/New_Data/

I wasn't trying to make a connection between ice core data and solar cycle data, just an observation about the miss quoting of these two points of interest.
    Last edited by 13th Warrior; 3rd February 2012 at 19:23.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Mark (4th February 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast