Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1286

Thread: Put Another Log On The Fire

1. Link to Post #1081
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,141 times in 1,888 posts

Default Re: Put Another Log On The Fire

More of the bad and good and fishing.
    This is just about growing up on a farm in a time when things were so much more simple

So growing up on a farm taught me so much. I remember the first time my brother and I had to kill one of the chickens for diner. It was one of the roosters and it was an old bird. Mother had told us to do this and Dad had left the axe next to the chopping stump where we chopped wood for the fireplace and the wood cooker we had in the kitchen. Well we were told that we would have to catch the chicken and chop its head off and then remove all the feathers and innards then bring it into mom so she could prepare it for cooking. HA! I don’t know if anyone has done this to a chicken but we sure as heck had never done it before. So here we are a 7 year old and a 10 year old chasing an old cranky rooster around the yard for an hour or so before we finally caught the old buzzard. It gave one heck of a fight and we both got pecked on are arms and hands. Imagine two little boys with bleeding peck wounds all over their arms and hands hauling a squirming chicken to a stump.
    My brother told me to hold the chicken on the stump while he took the axe and whacked the head. I know this sounds gross but then again we were just two small kids doing what momma told us to do. So I am holding the bird and brother takes a swing and the chicken moved its head and the axed missed. My brother yelled at me to hold the chicken still while he struggled to remove the axe from the stump. The chicken got away from me and we got to chase it once again. The second time at the stump and brother actually connected. Now here is something I did not know or my brother for that matter. When one whacks a head from a chicken the body will still run. Sure enough the head went flying over the edge and I let go of the body because I was getting sick at that point. The body hit the ground and began running all over the place. No photos please, two little kids chasing a headless body of a chicken around the yard like two frightened chipmunks trying to catch a diner. I could just see my mother standing in the dining room window laughing her head off at the scene. Well needless to say we did catch the body and finished the job. I can honestly say I never did that again in my young life. Now this particular memory is really not something that someone may want to read but it came from an opened door so my fingers flew over the key board and here it is. Learning about life and death in ones existence is very important and especially early so a moral lesson is formed and imprinted. Yes it may be harsh and it may not be pretty but it is important. This was and is something that has always stayed with me. Survival is part of this entire experience and that is within all of us. I will tell about some wonderful experiences my brother and I had with pigeons. Such wonderful creatures they are.

Just keeping the fire burning and warmth to all
    Flowing the love, This is what comes from OKD, Doors are opened to places long forgotten or buried.

Brother Steven
    Last edited by Lost N Found; 31st March 2016 at 00:30.

2. Link to Post #1082
    Thanks

Well good noon to all, I have some more doors opening so here is another log to keep the fire burning little. This has a little fishing but not as much as another opened door to follow.

A Huck fin time.
    The Eastern edge of our farm was about one and half miles from the Colorado River that swung around the valley where we lived and headed west around the larger City that was around 10 miles to our west. The river was fairly wide and ran very fast on its course heading for Utah and Arizona. So us kids would trek up to the main dirt road and cross it and at that time their were not any other folks living to the east of us so it was mostly just some orchards and then wilderness to the river. About 2 or 3 hundred yards just before the full raging river there was a swampy area. This area had large clumps of brush and spindly trees growing like a swamp would and all of it was full of water courses. So about 5 or 6 of us kids spent days hauling in pieces of wood boards and we found fallen over trees in the forest just to the west of the swamp and drug those over and chopped them down so we could build a raft. Once we had completed the raft we had to try it out in the swamp so we all got on and pushed it off shore and sure enough it floated. What geniuses we thought we were. So we pushed it around for a few hours and then had to go home. The next day we all brought fishing line and hooks with lead weights and bobbers and though we would do some fishing in the swamp. Not real good fishing in a swamp unless you want to eat suckers and crawfish. So we did that for a few hours and never really caught much. So just went swimming in a stinky ole swamp. The mosquitoes and noseeums were thick in there so we all got bit to pieces. Being burnt by the sunshine and bit by mosquitoes can be a very uncomfortable thing to a little kid.

Okay the raft and swimming was a good thing. Being bit by the bugs and burnt by the sun was kind of a bad thing so here comes a real scary part of that adventure and I am so glad I knew how to climb trees. Speaking of trees this is the kind of trees that were mostly around that swamp, willows and cottonwoods and those cottonwoods were Hugh. So anyway, we had got done with swimming and fishing and always carried sticks for two reasons down in that area. One was to use as a fishing pole and the other was to swipe at wild dogs if they came at us. We had known about the wild dog packs that roamed down in there but were pretty lucky to never come across them until that one day. We were headed back towards the farms when we spotted a couple of the dogs. They started barking and all of a sudden there seemed to be a bunch of them. Every one of us dropped our sticks and headed for the nearest tree to climb. We all climbed into a large cottonwood and those dogs gathered under us and milled around while barking and growling and then pretty soon they all left. We never really knew how many were there but we were scared out of our wits. When we finally climbed down it was getting on towards dark so we ran as fast as we could until we reached the road and finally made it home. It was quit awhile before we ventured back to that swamp. Those dogs did come onto the farm once in awhile and we would see them out in the orchards and we could here them howling and barking at night. To this day when I hear the coyotes around here I think about those wild dogs.

So just continuing a small boys life in growing up
    Love to all here
    Steven

3. Link to Post #1083
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,335 times in 4,087 posts

When I was a similar age I climbed trees in village parks to hide from park-keepers. They wern't known for liking children. I wasn't in real danger of course but the instinct was the same. There isn't any wildlife in southern England that would threaten us in that way. The occasional swan can be aggressive and urban foxes get some bad press but mostly I find they just make an awful noise. I'd be absolutely terrified of a pack of wild dogs

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th March 2016), Calz (26th March 2016), Constance (26th March 2016), Lionhawk (26th March 2016), Lost N Found (25th March 2016), RunningDeer (26th March 2016)

5. Link to Post #1084
    United States Avalon Member Joe Sustaire's Avatar
    Shipwrecked in the Sea of Plenty, surrounded by the unknowing.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 times in 131 posts

I'll add a log to the fire. This last week I spotted what I thought were a couple of large cat tracks in the dirt road between my house and shop, bigger than a bobcat, but weren't real clear. The next day I walked down to the pond on the next 40 and there were clear mountain lion tracks all around it. In and out of the water. This pond has a large beaver population and down at one end you could see where he had dug out four holes into the beavers den trying to get at them. Big excavations and one really big rock dug out. Don't know if he succeeded in getting his dinner or not. Just pretty neat to be able to read the story in the muddy tracks. The footprints were a good 4 inches across and deep, good weight to him. Especially since I often sleep out in my hammock in the woods. Life is grand!

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Joe Sustaire For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th March 2016), Calz (26th March 2016), Constance (26th March 2016), Eram (26th March 2016), Lionhawk (26th March 2016), Lost N Found (26th March 2016), Matthew (26th March 2016), RunningDeer (26th March 2016)

7. Link to Post #1085
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

Steven, I could listen to your younger life story all day and all night long whilst sitting by the warmth and brightness of the fireside. I feel as if I am back there with you. I loved the tale of Huckleberry Finn and now here we have on Avalon, our very own Huck Finn

Joe, I am completely amazed by your story. I'm just so grateful that it wasn't you that the bobcat was stalking!

YoYoYo, I used to live near a very large and beautiful park when my son was much younger. In this park were the most magnificent old oak trees. Whilst the homeschooling mothers chatted and caught up with each other, all the children could be found up these trees, right down to the smallest toddlers.
    One day, a park ranger came hurtling up in his vehicle to where we stood and ordered the children down.
    Apparently, it was not "legal" to climb a tree in a public park.
    The children obediently climbed down at the behest of the parents but the parents gave the children a wink and a nudge...As soon as the ranger was out of sight again, up they went again.

all my love to everyone around the campfire.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th March 2016), Calz (26th March 2016), Joe Sustaire (26th March 2016), Lionhawk (26th March 2016), Lost N Found (26th March 2016), Matthew (26th March 2016), RunningDeer (26th March 2016)

9. Link to Post #1086
    Thanks

YoYoYo, does not matter where you were born in this world. Trees are all over and climbing them is a little kids favorite thing. Girls and boys are always going to climb trees. Something about spirituality with trees. Getting chased by a swan is like getting chased by a goose. Same thing. They both hurt like the dickens when they bite. I remember both of my girls when they were young we all went to Stanley park in Vancouver BC and the geese chase them all over. They even got bit by them. Swans are bigger I believe so that much more scarier. Nice log there brother, quit warming. Thank you.

Joe, If you got the mountain lion wandering around, I would not sleep in that hammock right away for awhile, especially if the critter is hungry. Just seeing the foot prints can make the hair stand up on the back of ones neck. I had one come around a place I lived up in Washington state one time and the cat I had living with me made it known that he was not going to have any part of bigger brother. I heard the critter making the noise and them I heard it run across a bridge and right by my cabin. I went a few hundred feet past and lay there making those strange sounds a big cat makes. Spooked me and my little cat out that night. The next day I went looking for the foot prints and found them just outside my door. They were about 4 or 5" wide so had to be a fairly big cat. It is cool that you have one in the neighborhood anyway. Another nice log on the fire to warm us all. Thank you.

Dear sister Constance it is marvelous that you home schooled and I suppose are still home schooling your son. That is a total connection for children and they always grow up with love and learning so much more. It is sad that in this country home schooling has almost become a crime and so many cases the children are taken away from their parents be the State thinks they know better and can for some reason destroy the family unit. So your son and all those other children get to climb trees even if the prison guards try to dispel it. Hooray for love and perseverance. Thank you for the log and warmth.

And we continue to fly with all the warmth and love around the fire
    Steven

10. Link to Post #1087
    Thanks

Good morning campers. I have some more little boy adventures. This one is about learning to fish and catching some first timers that were edible at least.

A Fish Story
    This is good and bad. My Dad taught me how to fish. When I was a squirt of 5 our entire family would go to places where the fishing was really great. We always got to catch a limit, yes way back then there was a limit placed on how many fish one could catch in certain areas. We used to go to the big lakes up in the Rocky Mountains and the creeks and rivers up there were also great. Trout and Bass were always plentiful. Well here is the great part. My Papa taught me how to fly fish and I loved it. I did not want to fish any other way except when we played Huck fin and we would have to tie the fishing line to a pole we could find. So my papa told me to practice out in the yard in between those times when we would go fishing in the mountains. I had a real nice pole and a great reel. So Dad showed me how to pull line out and throw it. Wow what a kick that was when I got the hang of it. I would crimp a bigger weight on the end of the line and practice throwing the line. I have to say that it takes some practice and a certain way to throw that line. You also have to pull it back so the end of the line just barely hits the water. So the entire purpose of Fly fishing is to make your line and the fly hook on the end look like a real fly touching the water or even something more appetizing to the fish. The fish will jump the surface to grab the food. Yes it is a great way to fish and so much fun. I will tell you when I first started to learn how to master the technique I wound up getting bonked in the head and body with that weight so much that I was black and blue. Those little lead sinkers could hurt when they came back or flew forward and connected with the back of your head or smacked you in the face. Just imagine a fly hook making a connection, ow ow ow, so many times I got a hook in the finger or in my arm or some where else.

I have more of this continuing saga of fishing and will post soon.
    So enjoy this wonderful day

Steven

11. Link to Post #1088
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thank you for sharing more of your boyhood adventures Steven

I have a fish story myself.

When I was a tiny wee slip of a girl, I recall a memory of feeding goldfish in a pond. I remember that I was there quite a bit at this pond but I couldn't remember where or why.
    Years later, when recalling these memories with my mama, she said that there was an old lady down the street who had cancer and who was quite sick with it. She was quite alone, and she had a goldfish pond.
    My mama told me that I would disappear quite often, for hours on end and when she would go looking for me, there I would be at the goldfish pond, sitting with the fish. She said that I fed them so often that they got really big and fat. She also said that the old lady didn't mind because she was too sick to go outside and feed them but me with my bleeding heart, must have literally taken that on board and god only knows how often I was feeding them!

I also have a chocolate story from that period but that is a story for another time...

In other news; for those who know me, I am a very big fan of Nahko Bear.

Steven sent me this video the other day for he knew that I was going to see Nahko Bear in concert. It is such a bright and joyous song full of hope.

At the end of the song. A woman narrates Nahko Bear's words about this song "And then I made this song about it. So it was like, it went from dreamworld to drawing to writing to life, to music."

Steven and I are constantly referring to and writing about dreamland in A story we all write and the synchronicities just keep on coming!
    Thank you brother Steven.

I went to see Nahko Bear last night and halfway through the concert, Bear - as he is affectionately known by his band members, suddenly holds his arms up in the air and makes a triangle shape with his hands. Everyone else in the crowd follows.
    I have to admit that I was a bit confused by the gesture because as we all well know, it is a symbol used by the you-know-who's.

At the end of the concert, he must have realised that this symbol might have been misinterpreted by those in the know so he shared with us this story.

He said that in Hawaii, there is a sacred mountain called Mauna Kea. The sacred symbol depicting the mountain is the two hands held up in the air in the shape of a triangle. This sacred symbol, like so many others has been hijacked.

He said that it was time to reclaim this symbol. Let's take it back.

I'd love to see photos of everyone around the world holding up this symbol with a caption about reclaiming the sacredness of this symbol for the people. Imagine that going viral!

I have to say wholeheartedly that Bear's concert was quite literally the best concert I have ever been to. The musicians were so incredibly talented; a violinist, drummer/singer, trumpeter, guitarist, bass player and Nahko on keyboard and guitar. I was blown away by how talented they were. I never wanted it to end...

The crowd were exuberant. I think they felt the same way as I did.

Nahko Bear is so passionate and believes so much in what he is doing. At the end of the concert, one of the band members revealed that Nahko believed so much in what he was doing that he was "perseverance" himself. Despite 10 years of pretty much well going it alone and playing to tiny audiences, he never gave up.
    He went from dreamworld to reality. His audience is now worldwide.

As Nahko Bear says...You've got the keys...

Attachment 33152
    Last edited by Constance; 28th March 2016 at 05:18.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2016), Calz (28th March 2016), fourty-two (29th March 2016), Joe Sustaire (30th March 2016), Lionhawk (30th March 2016), Lost N Found (28th March 2016), Matthew (28th March 2016), RunningDeer (29th March 2016)

13. Link to Post #1089
    Thanks

What a wonderful warm log to burn dear sister. You were meant to watch over those gold fish. Such kind loving acts for the lady that was sick and her love of fish in that pond. That there is a fish story that has absolute flavor and love. Can't hardly wait to hear the Chocolate story.

I am so glad that you had such a wonderful time at the concert. I know that will stay with you forever. Very nice thing for Nahko Bear to talk about that symbol.

Thank you Sister for sharing a very wonderful experience with all around the campfire.
    Love to all
    Steven
    Last edited by Lost N Found; 29th March 2016 at 01:06.

14. Link to Post #1090
    Thanks

Just a feeling, Fire is cool but maybe that is for a reason.

Stay warm
    Steven

15. Link to Post #1091
    United States Avalon Member Heartsong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 times in 498 posts

Wow that was powerful.
    Like many I'm deeply disturbed by the upcoming election news and the terrorist activities. It draws me into the silence, the place where there are no words.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heartsong For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th March 2016), Calz (30th March 2016), Constance (30th March 2016), Lionhawk (30th March 2016), Lost N Found (29th March 2016), Matthew (29th March 2016), RunningDeer (29th March 2016)

17. Link to Post #1092
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

I'm taking advantage of the reading bug. I switch out the books as my mood changes. Lots of reflection in-between.

Feather hugs and love to All.

RunningDeer ♡
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 29th March 2016 at 17:09.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Beren (31st March 2016), Bill Ryan (29th March 2016), Calz (30th March 2016), Constance (30th March 2016), Lionhawk (30th March 2016), Lost N Found (29th March 2016), Matthew (29th March 2016)

19. Link to Post #1093
    Thanks

Yes we all can fall into the silence of the grayness around us. That particular version of the song actually reaches into the heart strings and pulls quite hard.

It is for us all to gather and stand together. My dream this morning was along that line and clearly I heard people saying that things were moving in a scary direction. Someone said "the people are pissed" the was just a very clear and vivid picture and sound.

Thank you dear Heartsong
    Love from brother Steven

20. Link to Post #1094
    Thanks

Dear Sister Paula, Books, Stories take us to so many places. We fall into dreams and they are so real. Our imaginations run away with our essence. We gather so much love and understanding from books and stories. Seems our very existence lies and rests on books of stories and may be built through our imaginations. Writing a story can come from life by imagination. I am so glad that you are taking that advantage. Life is full of all of this and you emanate that dear sister.

Connections come more easily and visions happen more frequently. The Story that was started by our brother Zionbrion and that Constance and I are continuing is all of this. The dreams are vivid.

I am sure you find keys that open so much in your life, Yes there are doors that one would prefer to keep locked, yet there are so many doors that need to be unlocked and opened. some are wonderful and bring the heart into flutters, others are hard and can make pain resurface but is not that a healing affect to feel the pain and let it go? I have discovered that in my life time anyway. A name of a song that made so much sense to me, "Fear is easy, Love is hard" My imagination is carried away, Heart is open and mind is traveling.

BOOKS such a wonderful gift we are given by all of us as one.
    Love to you
    Steven

21. Link to Post #1095
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

That fire is smoking hot!

Dearest Nora,

May that silence you experience be the internal silence where the sound of your breath and heartbeat carries you into the eternally present moment from whence our intuitions and inspirations arise.

Dearest Paula, I would love to know what you are reading at the moment because I've noticed that you have a great eye for books. I received your feather hug and it tickled!

Ulli had a great idea about starting up a book exchange

Dearest Steven, I echo your thoughts around gathering and standing together. This is what I love and appreciate about all of the souls who gather around the campfire here. Whether they speak or are just listening, we are all a united front.

Let us be like a full-strength Tsunami that gathers all in its path.

I'm still thinking about the perseverance of Nahko bear in the face of 10 years of silence. The dream he had of providing medicine for the people he pulled into reality through his passion, his music. He has reached so many souls who were previously silent via a gift/talent/skill that he nurtured and nourished.

Your dream sounds like it tapped into the morphic resonance of the consciousness of mankind Steven.

That chocolate story is bittersweet because when I was five, my mother was heavily pregnant with my brother. She sent me off to the greengrocers to procure a "chocolate fix" for herself.
    I walked down to the shop, bought the chocolate and had every intention of taking it to its rightful owner but was lured by the sweet scents of heaven.
    I ran to the park nearby, hid behind a tree and scoffed the whole lot.
    Guiltily, I hid there for hours until my mother waddled down to the park. I think she suspected something.
    The guilt went even deeper because she then went into labour that very evening. I thought in my five-year-old mind that it was because she had to go and find me and because I had robbed her of her chocolate.

I now make my own chocolate and whilst the guilt has gone, I now share my chocolate and my chocolate recipe with everyone. It was a great learning experience in the art of sharing because I am very certain that my mother would have shared that chocolate with me, had I been able to wait.

love to all around the fire
    Last edited by Constance; 30th March 2016 at 02:38.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th March 2016), Calz (30th March 2016), Joe Sustaire (30th March 2016), Lionhawk (30th March 2016), Lost N Found (30th March 2016), Matthew (31st March 2016), RunningDeer (30th March 2016)

23. Link to Post #1096
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by breal (here)
    That fire is smoking hot!

Dearest Paula, I would love to know what you are reading at the moment because I've noticed that you have a great eye for books. I received your feather hug and it tickled!
    Hi Constance,

I went off topic with the post. Here’s a taste of my most recent books. My guess is that most of them you've heard of. Below is an explanation why I purchased the Voyager Kindle and how I reformat the information from sources like blogs, videos and hard to read, free pdfs to fit the Kindle. At the bottom is one of the videos I watched during the research phase before the purchase. Too, I paid the $20 extra to not have advertising added and also purchased the adapter rather than recharge through the computer.

The most recent physical purchases:
    • Zen Gardner, You are the Awakening
    • Montauk, Transcending the Matrix Control System - Volume 2
    • Jose M. Herrou Aragon, The Forbidden Religion (also downloaded)
    • Robert Rivlin and Karen Gravelle, Deciphering the Senses: The Expanding World of Human Perception
    • Michael Talbot, Beyond the Quantum
    • Sister Miriam Joseph, PhD, The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Loci Grammar, and Rhetoric (read only a little)
    • William Tara, Macrobiotics and Human Behavior
    • Heinz R. Pagels, The Cosmic Code (read only a little)
    • Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend, Safe People: How to Find Relationships that are Good for You

From free pdf and Kindle downloads (some I have as physical books, too):
    • Nancy du Tertre, new member @ Avalon (see Bill's thread), Psychic Intuition: Everything You Ever Wanted to Ask but Were Afraid to Know
    • Robert Rivin and Karen Gravelle, Deciphering the Senses: The Expanding World of Human Perception
    • Lamb, Barbara , Mendonça, Miguel. Meet the Hybrids: The Lives and Missions of ET Ambassadors on Earth
    • Into Swann, Penetration - the Question of Extraterrestrial and Human Telepathy
    • Barbara Bartholic, Barbara: The Story of a UFO Investigator
    • Karla Turner, Ph.D, Into the Fringe: A True Story of Alien Abduction
    • Eve Lorgen (2 books), The Dark Side of Cupid: Love Affairs, the Supernatural AND Energy Vampirism & The Love Bite: Alien Interference in Human Love Relationships
    • Paul Levy (2 books), Dispelling Wetiko: Breaking the Curse of Evil AND Awakened by Darkness: When Evil Becomes Your Father
    • Leslie Kean, UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record

• KrisAnne Hall, In Defense of Liberty
    • Larken Rose, The Most Dangerous Superstition
    • Dr. Robin Stern, The Gaslight Effect: How to Spot and Survive the Hidden Manipulation Others Use to Control Your Life
    • Allen, James, As a Man Thinketh, plus 21 topics from his collection: The Path Of Prosperity, The Way Of Peace, All These Things Added, Byways Of Blessedness, etc.

• Neil Kramer, The Unfoldment: The Organic Path to Clarity, Power, and Transformation
    • Thich Nhat Hanh, True Love: A Practice for Awakening the Heart
    • Psaris, Jett; Lyons, Marlena S., Undefended Love
    • Dr. Joe Dispense (2 books), Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One AND You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter
    • Lipton, Bruce H., The Biology of Belief
    • Gregg Braden, The Spontaneous Healing of Belief: Shattering the Paradigm of False Limits
    • Robert M. Sapolsky (2 books), Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers AND Monkeyluv: And Other Essays on Our Lives as Animals

• George Carlin (2 books), When Will Jesus Bring the Pork chops? AND Conversations with Carlin An In-Depth Discussion about Life, Sex, Death, Drugs, Comedy
    • Chris Johnston, Bruce Lee: 101 Greatest Life Lessons, Inspiration AND Quotes From Bruce Lee
    • Stuart Wilde (3 books), The Secrets of Life AND Infinite Self AND Life was Never Meant to be a Struggle

• Travis Christofferson, Tripping Over the Truth: The Return of the Metabolic Theory of Cancer Illuminates a New and Hopeful Path to a Cure
    • Andreas Eenfeldt, MD, Low Carb, High Fat Food Revolution: Advice and Recipes to Improve Your Health and Reduce Your Weight
    • Lee Know ND, The Epic Story of Our Mitochondria: How the original probiotic dictates your health, illness, ageing, and even life itself
    • Young, Robert O.; Young, Shelley Redford, The pH Miracle for Weight Loss: Balance Your Body Chemistry
    • Garth Davis, M.D.; Jacobson, Howard Proteinaholic: How Our Obsession with Meat Is Killing Us and What We Can Do About It
    • Price, Victoria, NLP: Maximize Your Potential- Hypnosis, Mind Control, Human Behavior and Influencing People

• Mooji, Before I Am
    • Maharaj, Nisargadatta, I Am That
    • Eknath Easwaran (2 books), The Dhammapada AND The Upanishads (both are Classic of Indian Spirituality)
    • Reviewing books from Dr. David R. Hawkins, one is Power vs. Force: The Hidden Determinants of Human Behavior
    Voyager Kindle vs. iPad:

Another reading source is I’ve created pdfs from videos notes I take and upload to a Kindle. I have an iPad that I don’t use. I find that the Voyager Kindle is easy to hold and turn pages with the same hand. Unlike the iPad, I can read on my deck without interference from the sun. Between the free pdfs on line and the threads from Avalon, the Kindle paid for itself in no time.

Another feature is when I find out about a topic, I want to know more and often it takes weeks for the book to come in. So immediate downloads from Kindle is another plus. It’s also cheaper than iTunes ebooks.

As mentioned above, some of the free pdf off the internet are hard to read. I also take notes from videos, blogs, etc. The Kindle material can be organized into folders. You can cross reference the books/notes within folders. Example: Discernment, Notes, ET. I cut and paste into a document, reformat and turn it back into a pdf. Then uploaded to Kindle all for free. To give you an idea of clarity and size, here’s a snapshot of my Kindle page from notes taken from a video with a pic added. The font is “Helvetica Neue”, medium, 26 pt.

How Good are PDF Files on the Amazon Kindle Voyage?

Last edited by RunningDeer; 1st April 2016 at 19:09.

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th March 2016), Calz (30th March 2016), Cassmiranda (1st April 2016), Constance (30th March 2016), Joe Sustaire (30th March 2016), Lionhawk (30th March 2016), Lost N Found (30th March 2016), Matthew (31st March 2016), poetbil (31st March 2016), ThePythonicCow (1st April 2016), Wide-Eyed (14th May 2016)

25. Link to Post #1097
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Whoa! Paula, what an eclectic list you have going on there !!! Thank you so much for sharing that with us.

Given that input = output, I would say that what you contributed was a very noteworthy log for the fire.

There were a few in the mix that I hadn't heard of so I am most grateful for that sister. I am sure that there would be others gathered around the fire who would also be appreciative of new books and PDF's to discover.

I looked at the video you posted on the Voyager Kindle. It looks like a real game changer for PDF's! It is information like this that I think that many like myself will find valuable not only here but also in Interesting free books in PDF.
    I've taken the liberty of cross-posting here

with love to all around the fire,
    Constance

p.s I also got the feeling that your kind soul would also have been thinking about those who have visual impairments so for that, I am doubly appreciative.
    Last edited by Constance; 30th March 2016 at 23:02.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th March 2016), Calz (31st March 2016), Joe Sustaire (30th March 2016), Lionhawk (2nd April 2016), Lost N Found (31st March 2016), Matthew (31st March 2016), RunningDeer (30th March 2016), Wide-Eyed (14th May 2016)

27. Link to Post #1098
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by breal (here)
    I also got the feeling that your kind soul would also have been thinking about those who have visual impairments so for that, I am doubly appreciative.
    UPDATE: Hello Ewan. I see you are on the thread.

Yes, both a visual solution and the health books which covers reversal in diabetes. If you ask my family they’d secretly agree that I don’t have a stop button on health and wellness suggestions/solutions.
    That was a good idea to post on the free pdf thread, Constance.

I meant to add it to Bill’s other thread where Ewan asks for ideas/suggestions. (see his post below). It’s a cost effect solution for computer wear and tear, and less time spent at the computer.

In case the electricity goes down, I have an adapter to recharge an iPad in the car, so I'm guessing there’s one for the Kindle. A couple of other suggestions: I have as a back up plan the portable cooking stove called “Biolite”, and a solar panel on wheels. But there’s a cheaper solar panel at the same site - BioLiteEnergy.com.

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    What can we do to preserve them in a more solid fashion? I already have a lot of books on my D: drive that remain unread and part of the reason for that is I don't care for reading at the computer nearly as much as sitting where I choose with a book. (Add to that the computer is consuming energy as every word passes by). Then there is the possibility of future events rendering computers inaccessible, no electricity. Every back-up in the world is useless to us then.

Printing would be a monumental task, even on a home computer with lots of time and patience, (and paper). (Joke) -> Maybe we could get the Vatican Library to house them for us.

Any ideas/suggestions?
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 31st March 2016 at 00:18.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st March 2016), Calz (31st March 2016), Constance (31st March 2016), Ewan (31st March 2016), Lionhawk (2nd April 2016), Lost N Found (31st March 2016), Matthew (1st April 2016)

29. Link to Post #1099
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,069 times in 2,400 posts

Hi Paula.

As soon as I read your post above, following Breal's link from Free PDF boks thread, I was off to do some research on ereaders. Firstly I was dismayed to find out they were all wi-fi, but then I assume, just like a phone, that can all be turned off; my main jaw-dropping moment was when I saw the price! (I just want to read, not travel to Mars!). So I'm now currently browsing ebay looking at second hand device for around £50 as I simultaneously read through a thread here ~mobileread.com
    trying to understand it all in a matter of minutes. (Clearly impossible).

I've never even had a mobile phone, beyond the most basic thing imaginable a few years ago, so any hand held electronic device beyond a simple TV remote is pretty much a mystery to me. (What a dinosaur!)

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st March 2016), Calz (31st March 2016), Constance (31st March 2016), Lionhawk (2nd April 2016), Lost N Found (31st March 2016), Matthew (1st April 2016), RunningDeer (31st March 2016)

31. Link to Post #1100
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)

Yes, both a visual solution and the health books which covers reversal in diabetes.
    Yes...priceless information in those health books you have listed...All worthy of experimenting with.

I'd like to add another book to the list if I may, regarding the reversal of many eye diseases or related diseases that cause impairment or blindness - The Brain's way of healing - Remarkable discoveries and recoveries from the frontiers of neuroplasticity. Norman Doidge

If you ask my family they’d secretly agree that I don’t have a stop button on health and wellness suggestions/solutions.
    We have a common thread there Paula

That was a good idea to post on the free pdf thread, Constance.
    I was Inspired by your post Paula

In case the electricity goes down, I have an adapter to recharge an iPad in the car, so I'm guessing there’s one for the Kindle.
    I found one here

A couple of other suggestions: I have as a back up plan the portable cooking stove called “Biolite”, and a solar panel on wheels. But there’s a cheaper solar panel at the same site - BioLiteEnergy.com.
    Brilliant idea. More logs.
    Last edited by Constance; 31st March 2016 at 01:33. Reason: dyslexic

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st March 2016), Calz (31st March 2016), Ewan (31st March 2016), Lionhawk (2nd April 2016), Lost N Found (31st March 2016), Matthew (1st April 2016), RunningDeer (31st March 2016), Wide-Eyed (14th May 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 65 FirstFirst 1 5 45 55 65 LastLast