+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Patriot Act: When Truth Becomes Treason

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,559 times in 1,013 posts

Default The Patriot Act: When Truth Becomes Treason

The Patriot Act: When Truth Becomes Treason

by Susan Lindauer

Quote Susan Lindauer was a U.S. Asset and one of the very first non-Arab Americans indicted on the Patriot Act, accused of acting as an "Iraqi Agent" for opposing the War

Many Americans believe they understand the dangers of the Patriot Act, which Congress has vowed to extend 4 more years in a vote later this week. Trust me when I say, Americans are not nearly frightened enough.

Ever wonder why the facts about 9/11 never got exposed? Why Americans don't fathom the leadership fraud surrounding the War on Terror? Why Americans don't know the 9/11 investigation failed? Why the "Iraqi Peace Option" draws a blank? Somebody has known the whereabouts of Osama bin Laden--- or his grave--for the past 10 years. But nobody's talking.

In significant part, that's because of the Patriot Act--- a law that equates free speech with sedition. It's got a big agenda, with 7,000 pages of Machiavellian code designed to interrupt individual questioning of government policy. In this brave new world, free speech under the Bill of Rights effectively has been declared a threat to government controls for maintaining "stability". And the Patriot Act has become the premiere weapon to attack whistleblowers and dissidents who challenge the comfort of political leaders hiding inconvenient truths from the public. It's all the rage on Capitol Hill, as leaders strive to score TV ratings, while demagoguing their "outstanding leadership performance" on everything from national security to environmental policy.

But wait---Congress promised the Patriot Act only targets foreigners, who come to our shores seeking to destroy our way of life through violent, criminal acts. Good, law abiding Americans have nothing to fear. The Patriot Act restricts its powers of "roving wiretaps" and warrantless searches to international communications among "bad guys." Congress has sworn, with hand on heart, it's only purpose is breaking down terrorist cells and hunting out "lone wolf" mad men.

And you believed them? You trust the government. Well, that was your first mistake. With regards to the Patriot Act, it's a fatal one. Would the government lie to you? They already have.

The Patriot Act reaches far beyond terrorism prevention. In my home state of Maryland, State Police invoked the Patriot Act to run surveillance on the Chesapeake Climate Action Network dedicated to wind power, recycling and protection of the Chesapeake Bay. They infiltrated the DC Anti War Network, suggesting the group might be a front for "white supremacists," and Amnesty International, claiming to investigate "civil rights abuses." Opponents of the death penalty also got targeted (in case they got violent).

Truth tellers who give Americans too much insight are vulnerable to an arsenal of judicial weapons typical of China or Mynamar. In the Patriot Act, the government has created a powerful tool to hunt out free thinking on the left or right. Anyone who opposes government policy is at risk.

How do I know this? Because I was the second non-Arab American ever indicted on the Patriot Act. My arrest defied all expectations about the law. I was no terrorist plotting to explode the Washington Monument. Quite the opposite, I had worked in anti-terrorism for almost a decade, covering Iraq and Libya, Yemen, Egypt and Malaysia at the United Nations. At the instruction of my CIA handler, I had delivered advance warnings about the 9/11 attack to the private staff of Attorney General John Ashcroft and the Office of Counter-Terrorism in August, 2001. FBI wiretaps prove that I carried details of a comprehensive peace framework with Iraq up and down the hallowed corridors of Capitol Hill for months before the invasion, arguing that War was totally unnecessary.

I delivered those papers to Democrats and Republicans alike; to my own second cousin, White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card; and to Secretary of State Colin Powell, who lived next door to my CIA handler. Gratis of the Patriot Act, we had the manila envelope and my hand written notes to Secretary Powell, dated a week before his infamous speech at the United Nations. My papers argued that no WMDs would be found inside Iraq, and that the peace framework could achieve all U.S. objectives without firing a shot.

In short, I was an Asset who loudly opposed War with Iraq, and made every effort to correct mistaken assumptions on Capitol Hill.

Then I did the unthinkable. I phoned the offices of Senator Trent Lott and Senator John McCain, requesting to testify before a brand new, blue ribbon Commission investigating Pre-War Intelligence. Proud and confident of my efforts, I had no idea Congress was planning to blame "bad intelligence" for the unpopular War.

Over night I became Public Enemy Number One on Capitol Hill.

Thirty days later I awoke to hear FBI agents pounding on my door. My Patriot Act nightmare lasted 5 years --- Four years after my arrest, the Court granted me one morning of evidentiary testimony by two supremely credible witnesses. Parke Godfrey verified my 9/11 warnings under oath. Otherwise, I never got my day in Court.

The Patriot Act's Arsenal to Stop Free Speech

Progressive or conservative, if you care about America's traditions of freedom, you should be angry about this law.

First come the warrantless searches and FBI tracking surveillance. My work in anti-terrorism gave me no protection. I got my first of two warrantless searches after meeting an undercover FBI agent to discuss my support for free elections in Iraq and my opposition to torture and sexual humiliation of Iraqi detainees. (Sorry guys, body wires don't lie.)

If truth tellers don't get the message, the Justice Department ratchets up the pressure. Defendants face secret charges, secret evidence and secret grand jury testimony.

Throughout five years of indictment, my attorneys and I never got to read a single FBI interview or grand jury statement. Under the Patriot Act, the whistleblower/defendant has no right to know who has accused him or her of what criminal activities, or the dates of the alleged offenses, or what laws got broken.

Of course, I was able to piece together my activities. I knew that "sometime in October, 2001" an Iraqi diplomat gave me the English translation of a book on depleted uranium, which showed how cancer rates and birth defects had spiked in Iraqi children.

And I was quite certain that on October 14, 1999, an Iraqi diplomat asked me how to channel major financial contributions to the Presidential Campaign of George Bush and Dick Cheney. I reported my conversation immediately to my Defense Intelligence handler, Paul Hoven. The Justice Department got this date from me.

It's unlikely the grand jury knew this, since the Justice Department has the prerogative to keep a grand jury in the dark. Under Patriot, a grand jury can be compelled to consider indictments carrying 10 years or more in prison, without the right to review evidence, or otherwise determine whether an individual's actions rise to the level of criminal activity at all.

That's just the beginning. Once Congress scores an indictment against a political opponent, the Justice Department can force Defense attorneys to undergo protracted security clearances, while the whistleblower cum defendant waits in prison--- usually in solitary confinement or the SHU. After the security clearance, prosecutors have an ironclad right to bar attorneys from communicating communications from the prosecution to the defendant, on threat of disbarment, stiff fines or prison sentence.

Scared yet? Once you get to trial, the situation gets worse. The Patriot Act declares that a prosecutor has no obligation at all to show evidence of criminal activity to a jury. The Defense can be denied the right to argue a rebuttal to those secret charges, because it requires speculation that might mislead the jury--or might expose issues that the government deems secret. After all that a Judge can instruct a jury that the prosecution regards the secret evidence as sufficient to merit conviction on the secret charges. The jury can be barred from considering the lack of evidence in weighing whether to convict.

Think I'm exaggerating? You would be wrong. That's what happened to me. All of it--with one major glitch. All of this presumes the whistleblower's lucky enough to get a trial. I was denied mine, though I fought vigorously for my rights. Instead, citing the Patriot Act, I got thrown in prison on a Texas military base without so much as a hearing--and threatened with indefinite detention and forcible drugging, to boot.

Americans are not nearly afraid enough.

Neither is Congress. As of this week, members of Congress should be very afraid. Anyone who votes to extend the Patriot Act should expect to pack their bags in 2012. They will be targeted for defeat. Above all, the words "freedom" and "Constitution" should never appear in their campaign propaganda without facing extreme public scorn -- never, ever again.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/22...ecomes-Treason

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ponda For This Post:

Belle (31st May 2011), crosby (30th May 2011), Dennis Leahy (31st May 2011), fifi (31st May 2011), forty-two (30th May 2011), Fred Steeves (30th May 2011), g.k.r (30th May 2011), Herbert (1st June 2011), Isthatso (31st May 2011), Lord Sidious (30th May 2011), Maia Gabrial (30th May 2011), MariaDine (30th May 2011), shadowstalker (30th May 2011), T Smith (30th May 2011), winnasboy (30th May 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,613 times in 2,179 posts

Default Re: The Patriot Act: When Truth Becomes Treason

Americans are not nearly afraid enough.

Nutshell.......
    .... be gentle with your anger. Sixto Rodriguez, Cape Town 20.02.2013

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ViralSpiral For This Post:

Belle (31st May 2011), crosby (30th May 2011), g.k.r (30th May 2011), Lord Sidious (30th May 2011), ponda (30th May 2011), T Smith (30th May 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,798 times in 2,657 posts

thank you Ponda. i can only think and assume that we americans are finished. i did not know how deviant this so called patriot act was until reading this. my eyes are wide open. and i cannot help but to think that there is nothing anybody can do to stop this.
    corson

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crosby For This Post:

g.k.r (30th May 2011), Lord Sidious (30th May 2011), ponda (30th May 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,300 times in 5,193 posts

Hi Ponda, thank you so much for the thread.

Quote It's unlikely the grand jury knew this, since the Justice Department has the prerogative to keep a grand jury in the dark. Under Patriot, a grand jury can be compelled to consider indictments carrying 10 years or more in prison, without the right to review evidence, or otherwise determine whether an individual's actions rise to the level of criminal activity at all.
    Doesn't sound right to me. Must be fraudulently based. There's no fairness in it, therefore no justice.
    Last edited by ktlight; 30th May 2011 at 09:37.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

crosby (30th May 2011), g.k.r (30th May 2011), Isthatso (31st May 2011), Lord Sidious (30th May 2011), ponda (30th May 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Just remember this avalonuggets, this is only allowed if you allow it.
    When enough of you say no, it will stop.

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by corson (here)
    thank you Ponda. i can only think and assume that we americans are finished. i did not know how deviant this so called patriot act was until reading this. my eyes are wide open. and i cannot help but to think that there is nothing anybody can do to stop this.
    corson

I expect some unusual twists and turns in the near future corson.I wonder how many congressman actually read the act before voting on it ?

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ponda For This Post:

Belle (31st May 2011), crosby (30th May 2011), Fred Steeves (30th May 2011), g.k.r (30th May 2011), Isthatso (31st May 2011), Lord Sidious (30th May 2011)

12. Link to Post #7
    Greece Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 times in 519 posts

Quote Posted by Lord Sidious (here)
    the majority either dont care (till they get .... ) or they dont have the time to bother cause they are running to survive everyday.

SO the when in your comments is never ... sad but true

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Etherios For This Post:

Dorok (31st May 2011), ponda (31st May 2011), winnasboy (30th May 2011)

14. Link to Post #8
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

Thank you for that ponda, it's rather haunting to hear all those names of "people" I used to look up to. How did you manage to wiggle out of the web, and is what you're saying now going to affect that?

Fred

15. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Fred S said:

How did you manage to wiggle out of the web, and is what you're saying now going to affect that?
    Hi Fred,

Fred could you just elaborate a bit please ? I'm unsure what you mean.

cheers

16. Link to Post #10
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

Quote Posted by ponda (here)
    Fred could you just elaborate a bit please ? I'm unsure what you mean.
    Please disregard ponda, I brainfarted.

Cheers,
    Fred

17. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by corson (here)
    corson

I expect some unusual twists and turns in the near future corson.I wonder how many congressman actually read the act before voting on it ?
    i'm starting to wonder if they understand what it is that they are reading. if one does not comprehend the written language for what it is, then for god's sake, don't sign on the dotted line. not when so many millions of peoples' lives are at stake. what the hell is wrong with them? i'm having a real hard time getting my head around this.
    corson

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crosby For This Post:

Lord Sidious (31st May 2011), ponda (31st May 2011)

19. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: The Patriot Act: When Truth Becomes Treason

Quote Posted by Etherios (here)
    the majority either dont care (till they get .... ) or they dont have the time to bother cause they are running to survive everyday.

Etherios, i'm not sure if it's either one of those specifically. words carry so many meanings. i mean think about it, if one doesn't have words, how does one think? i'm beginning to think that what they are reading isn't what is really in this so called 'patriot' act. i remember watching "The Fall of The Republic", and in one scene, the members of the house are on the floor getting ready to vote on an issue and they don't have all of the pieces of legislation in front of them. this is a real problem. they are using terror mongering to get people to vote the way of the ptw, or ELSE. and they are not given all of the information in a timely manner. i just can't believe it is because nobody cares or is too lazy to deal with the after affects.
    corson

and the lightbulb goes on........

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crosby For This Post:

Lord Sidious (31st May 2011), ponda (31st May 2011)

21. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,150 times in 3,856 posts

Hey Ponda,
    This is excellent information! It's just one more thing that I'm gritted my teeth over. This is no longer a rabbit hole we're all facing. It's a vipers nest....
    Consequently, all of the political leaders will be prosecuted for betraying us as they have....
    Maia

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

crosby (30th May 2011), Lord Sidious (31st May 2011), ponda (31st May 2011)

23. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

If you truly want to stop the system, forget about majorities.
    Look at the frech, russian and american revolutions and do the numbers.
    Very few people as a pure % of those nations were actually involved, yet things changed.
    Worry not about the others, walk YOUR walk, talk YOUR talk and NEVER give in.
    Only then, will others see this and join you.

For me, I do what I do.
    I require no numbers, no support and I have no fear.
    So far, working solo, I have defeated the state of western australia, the commonwealth of australia and the labor party of australia.
    Just be, that is all you need to do and let go of fear, if you have it.

24. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Lord Sidious said:

f you truly want to stop the system, forget about majorities.
    Very few people as a pure % of those nations were actually involved, yet things changed.

For me, I do what I do.
    So far, working solo, I have defeated the state of western australia, the commonwealth of australia and the labor party of australia.
    Nice.

Yes it starts with the individual

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ponda For This Post:

crosby (31st May 2011), Dennis Leahy (31st May 2011), Lord Sidious (31st May 2011)

26. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Ponda, I think this info is critical to keep sending out to our loved ones that are still resistant to the message - because this is critical to releasing fear.

Fear is such a powerful weapon and so very effective on anyone who is unaware that the fear is being deliberately aimed at them to produce the desired knee-jerk reactions to fear.

Isn't Susan Lindauer a brave soul! I nominate her for a Medal of Humanity!

Dennis

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

crosby (2nd June 2011), Herbert (1st June 2011), Lord Sidious (31st May 2011), ponda (31st May 2011), yaksuit (1st June 2011)

28. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Exactly Dennis.

We are all surrounded by fear.Watch the news each night and all you get is fear being pumped out continuosly.The average person is oblivious to the subtle effects this has on the subconscious.

As you said just becoming aware of it makes a huge difference.

cheers

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ponda For This Post:

crosby (2nd June 2011), Lord Sidious (31st May 2011)

30. Link to Post #18
    Greece Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 times in 519 posts

Quote Lord Sidious said:

For me, I do what I do.
    Nice.

And there i was thinking we are all one... hmm. I dont think individuals can bring the change if they dont group up. Each of us has its own problems and seeing his own little world. Together we see the hole.

BtW Lord ... do you really believe the revolutions were true people movement? I dont think so ... and i believe those revolutions failed cause those few % forcefully tried to change the rest of the people and they end up ruling in one way or more the rest. French rev was the bloodiest ... or was the russian one?

In order to escape our slavers we need the majority else we just move this a few decades ahead when it will all restart again.

31. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Etherios said:

And there i was thinking we are all one... hmm. I dont think individuals can bring the change if they dont group up. Each of us has its own problems and seeing his own little world. Together we see the hole.

BtW Lord ... do you really believe the revolutions were true people movement? I dont think so ... and i believe those revolutions failed cause those few % forcefully tried to change the rest of the people and they end up ruling in one way or more the rest. French rev was the bloodiest ... or was the russian one?

In order to escape our slavers we need the majority else we just move this a few decades ahead when it will all restart again.
    I still think that it 'starts' with one or each individual.You have to make your own choice of action based on your own individual awareness before you can enlighten or join with another.

The masses have to want to change before they will demand change and then what do we change to ? How's it all going to work ? How do you suddenly change an entrenched system that the whole world is conditioned to ? With our current level of consciousness the whole thing would evolve back to where it came from just as you said.

The need for change is being felt far and wide now.Most are still asleep but the show has hardly started.A mindset shift is needed and maybe we are in the early stages of this shift.

We might not have to get too organized to get the majority on board as this might occur naturally.

cheers
    Last edited by ponda; 1st June 2011 at 10:17.

32. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Quote Lord Sidious said:

For me, I do what I do.
    Nice.

No, they weren't mass movements, the masses are too lazy.
    That wasn't my point, the point was that a small number did take the system and change it.
    Even if it were another faction.

+ Reply to Thread