Thanks
    Thanked 116,557 times in 20,694 posts

Default Magnet technology

Even Engineers Are Completely Baffled By This New Magnet Technology

POSTED ON MARCH 23, 2016

http://evenengineering.video-battle....et-technology/

Each breath a gift...

2. The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Art (1st April 2016), avid (31st March 2016), Bill Ryan (1st April 2016), Deega (31st March 2016), Dennis Leahy (1st April 2016), Ewan (1st April 2016), Fairy Friend (29th April 2016), geobru (31st March 2016), Heart-2-Heart (1st April 2016), Inversion (31st March 2016), Ioneo (31st March 2016), Ivanhoe (1st April 2016), Joseph McAree (31st March 2016), JRS (1st April 2016), justntime2learn (1st April 2016), kirolak (1st April 2016), KiwiElf (13th May 2016), Latti (1st April 2016), Matt P (1st April 2016), Melinda (1st April 2016), Michi (31st March 2016), Nasu (1st April 2016), Olaf (1st April 2016), PathWalker (12th May 2016), poetbil (1st April 2016), rgray222 (1st April 2016), Richard S. (1st April 2016), Rollo (1st April 2016), sandy (1st April 2016), seko (1st April 2016), skyflower (31st March 2016), Snoweagle (16th May 2016), Spirithorse (1st April 2016), toppy (1st April 2016), uzn (1st April 2016), ZooLife (31st March 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Chip's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,497 times in 466 posts

Default Re: Magnet technology

That was very interesting.
    And way cool!
    Thanks

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st April 2016), Dennis Leahy (1st April 2016), Heart-2-Heart (1st April 2016), Nasu (1st April 2016), onawah (1st April 2016), sandy (1st April 2016), Snoweagle (16th May 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,531 times in 32,931 posts

Quote Posted by Chipsam (here)
    That was very interesting.
    And way cool!
    Thanks
    Yes, it was!

The way to understand this easily is like thinking of these new 'printed' magnets as lots of little magnets all kind of glued together side by side in various configurations. Then a lot of cool and interesting things can happen.

Quote Posted by onawah (here)

Well, that's a misleading caption to the article. The magnet engineers understand it (and so will the viewer!), but his friends who were handling the clever magnetic door latch thingy were initially baffled when they were given it to play with. The video is well worth watching!

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Chip (1st April 2016), Dennis Leahy (1st April 2016), Ernie Nemeth (1st April 2016), Heart-2-Heart (1st April 2016), KiwiElf (13th May 2016), Nasu (1st April 2016), onawah (1st April 2016), Snoweagle (16th May 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,742 times in 1,499 posts

What an amazing invention! Like the laser - an invention awaiting an application, so who knows where it will lead.

(Anyone wanna say this technology came from Roswell...?)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (1st April 2016), Nasu (1st April 2016), PathWalker (12th May 2016), TargeT (1st April 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I wonder if magnet based technology will be the next step in the advancement towards free energy technology.
    It seems like TPTB might allow that before anything more advanced, as it doesn't actually let the secrets of the electric universe all the way out of the box.
    Each breath a gift...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

bluestflame (29th April 2016), Dennis Leahy (1st April 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

I wonder if magnet based technology will be the next step in the advancement towards free energy technology.
    It seems like TPTB might allow that before anything more advanced, as it doesn't actually let the secrets of the electric universe all the way out of the box.
    No, I think more mundane (though still highly influential) outcomes will come from working more with magnetic fields.

This is how most "wireless charging" happens: Magnetic induction (as this is improved we will see big and interesting leaps in our consumer electronics).

I keep a pretty good finger on the pulse of tech, but I suppose 1 thread for hundreds of topics gets a bit daunting.

I see this technology as a great step to... well here:

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Wow, this really opens the doors up for a lot of cool advancements, especially in friction-less joints (or ultra low friction) and micro/nano machines.

Quote PRINTABLE MAGNETS!

The future of magnets is here

If you’re anything like me, you were probably fascinated by magnets when you were younger. But the new “smart magnets” in this video just made my jaw drop.

I just saw a video (above) on a new innovation which is a completely new way to not only manufacture magnets, but design them so that they have completely new properties.

In the video above from Smarter Every Day, (the same guy who did the Backwards Brain Bicycle), he goes to see a company called Polymagnet, who can design metals to have specific magnetic patterns so that they can both attract and repel at the same time on the same surface. They can even control the strength of the field over distance.

The part of the video at 5:45 shows how this can produce a “Smart Magnet” hinge which provides smooth closing, but locks in place when rotated.

It blew me away.

This opens up all sorts of ways that companies can produce truly new innovations in the future.
    https://www.ideatovalue.com/curi/nic...re-of-magnets/
    no, it's quite simple... beware the temptation to sensationalize!
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (1st April 2016), onawah (1st April 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Latti's Avatar
    Thanks

Polymagnet is located about 15 minutes from my home (7.1 miles). The Smarter Every Day video with over 2 million hits was great advertising for Polymagnet.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Latti For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (1st April 2016), PathWalker (12th May 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Latti (here)
    Polymagnet is located about 15 minutes from my home (7.1 miles). The Smarter Every Day video with over 2 million hits was great advertising for Polymagnet.
    Youtube is a very powerful tool (if you use the people with popular channels) it's over taking TV rapidly & is the most viewed on the internet (as far as video content goes,, FAR surpassing netflix and the like).
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (1st April 2016)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

OK, let's assume that some kind of 'motor' can be made from careful placement of permanent magnets. Let's assume this motion can be connected up to some rotary electricity generator.

It looks like energy is being generated simply by the rotational opposing forces of the magnets, there are videos claiming to demonstrate this.

So, can we see what will eventually happen with the device? Clue; it won't work indefinitely...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

That subtitle actually wasn't my doing--I just copied what was on the website with the video I posted.
    Quote Posted by TargeT (here)

no, it's quite simple... beware the temptation to sensationalize!
    Each breath a gift...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

21. Link to Post #11
    New Zealand Avalon Member
    Thanks

I have always been fascinated by the possibility of making permanent magnets work for us.
    After umpteen experiments, I have finally come up with a linear "motor" !!
    The track, consists of magnets that are positioned all in line like fallen over dominos, at 45 degrees.
    I found that sets of five magnets must be used, then a gap of one magnet thickness, then the next set of five magnets, etc.
    I have a special roller, that when placed at the beginning of the track and released, quickly zips along to the end of the track which is over 600mm long.
    NO assistance is given to start the roller. It is just dead keen to travel at speed upon release.
    The roller, has an arrangement of 20 neodymium magnets in it, that are wedge shaped.
    This causes only a North field to emanate outside the roller, whilst its South, is inside the cylinder, effectively providing the effect of a one poled magnet.
    The roller even travels uphill !!
    I have a photograph of the layout of the track magnets, the construction of the roller and a short video of the roller scooting along.
    Anyone interested in viewing the details, can contact me at stebra@xtra.co.nz
    Steele Braden.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to stebra For This Post:

KiwiElf (13th May 2016)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,886 times in 760 posts

I'm skeptical of any hyperbolic claims about magnets.

Reason is that Halbach arrays may well be the means to have cheap mag-lev transportation.
    Various companies (some for over a decade) have tried to make large arrays, to no avail.
    It's easy to make small arrays, and have them do tricks, but to get a really big one sized for a train car - no joy.
    One can only speculate as to the reason why.
    Inductrack - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductrack
    Halbach array - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halbach_array
    VacTrain - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vac_train

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Re: Magnet technology, adding to my comments on 20th of April.
    The secret to the linear motion of my roller, is that there is far more magnetic field force on the leading half of the roller than the trailing half.
    This then causes a permanent unbalanced state.
    Many experimenters attempting to obtain continuous motion from various arrangements of permanent magnets, always encounter what is known as the "sticky" spot.
    This is where the rotor with a magnet will not go past.
    My "machine" on the other hand, has no such problem.
    It occurred to me, that if the track was extended to perhaps double, then the roller (which can travel UPHILL) would then reach a useful height at the end of the track.
    If the roller were then to be collected as it dropped off the end of the track, on to a downhill return ramp, then the roller could be taken back to the beginning of the track and repeat the process!!
    stebra
    stebra@xtra.co.nz
    Steele Braden.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to stebra For This Post:

KiwiElf (13th May 2016)

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Do you know how long the magnets will stay magnetised? When any permanent magnet is having its magnetic forces opposed to produce motion, that opposing force demagnetises the magnets.

This is something often overlooked. I may take days or weeks, but it will happen unless you find a magic way of re-magnetising the magnets that doesn't require energy...

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Hi Nick, my linear "motor" setup, still performs exactly the same after 15 years.
    Neodymium magnets, are indeed PERMANENT magnets.
    My setup uses attraction mode, however, I think that using repulsion in experiments may tend to cause weakening of magnets.
    Many years ago, I placed two Alnico bar magnets side by side in a box so that they were forced to be together in repulsion.
    After a while, I checked their fields and noted that this had caused them to lose about 50% of their field emanation.
    However, these old type magnets have been completely superceded by the Neodymium type.
    If you are further interested in the setup, I can email you the details and short video of the roller zooming along the track.
    Best regards,
    Steele Braden.
    stebra@xtra.co.nz

28. The Following User Says Thank You to stebra For This Post:

KiwiElf (15th May 2016)

+ Reply to Thread