+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Even in the domain of insects~ uneasy lies the head that wears the crown

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Lightbulb Even in the domain of insects~ uneasy lies the head that wears the crown

Greeting's Avalonians,
    I was a sociology/socialwork major, and have always been fascinated and a keen observer of human and animal social group structures. This morning, I was contemplating all the recent social drama within our own social community, and noticed this interesting and telling article~ in regards too the social dynamics of ants.

Science News
    Ant colonies attack queens that don't produce largest broods, study finds~

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Even in the domain of insects, uneasy lies the head that wears a crown

Life in some ant colonies, it turns out, is quite Shakespearean, with worker ants killing off queens, and queens attempting clever reproductive strategies to survive.

Luke Holman, a University of Copenhagen ant researcher who recently published a paper in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B about ants in multi-queen colonies, said that queen ants are wilier than previously thought, protecting themselves even if their strategy hurts the colony's survival.

When an ant colony is forming, several queens will often work together to produce large broods of worker ants. But within about 45 days, those initial worker ants turn on the queens, biting them and spraying them with acid, apparently so that only one will be left to reign.

According to Holman and his co-authors, some queens in these multi-queen colonies will start to produce smaller broods, apparently in an effort to conserve energy to survive the battles with the worker ants. (In colonies with single queens, the researchers found no reduction in offspring production.)

Holman said the strategy did not appear to work, because the worker ants, using chemical cues, could determine which queens were most fertile and thus most likely to keep the colony going. The workers were more likely to attack "selfish" queens that had reduced their fertility.

Worker ants don't abide a selfish queen.

Not that the ants think in those terms. Holman said in an e-mail that they were just doing what evolution had built into them for survival: "Natural selection has shaped the evolution of behavior." The queens that became less fertile, he said, "might be sensitive to some sort of cue found on other queens and ant brood. When they detect this cue, some sort of physiological pathway reduces their hormone levels and makes them a little less fertile, giving the impression that queens 'decide' not to reproduce."

Similarly, he said, "workers might have an inbuilt tendency to be aggressive towards queens, but this is inhibited by a chemical on the queens, which is in turn correlated with how fertile the queen is. Therefore, workers appear to us to be sniffing out fertile queens and preferentially sparing them, but really it is just that natural selection has favoured workers whose aggression is inhibited by an odour associated with fertile queens."

Lady Macbeth would have understood.

-- Margaret Shapiro

article from here;
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031502096.html

2. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Even in the domain of insects~ uneasy lies the head that wears the crown

A preview~

Now~ get some popcorn and watch the special

Last edited by giovonni; 6th July 2016 at 11:06.

3. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: Even in the domain of insects~ uneasy lies the head that wears the crown

Greetings,

a revisit to this old thread

The world's ants captured in 3D in pictures
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/12880498

4. Link to Post #4
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Even in the domain of insects~ uneasy lies the head that wears the crown

an old thread re-visited...

sniff sniff

Ants remember their enemy's scent
    Ant colonies - one of nature's most ancient and efficient societies -
    are able to form a "collective memory" of their enemies, say scientists...
    read more - http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17099761

5. Link to Post #5
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: Even in the domain of insects~ uneasy lies the head that wears the crown

time for an update ...

'Crazy ants' that feast on electronics and are invading the U.S.
    CANNOT be killed with normal insecticide ...

Read more here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-species.html

6. Link to Post #6
    Retired
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,050 times in 3,027 posts

Default Re: Even in the domain of insects~ uneasy lies the head that wears the crown

Hello, I wonder if there are any Avalonians who are Entomologists in their knowledge that may help, (hope it's okay to post this on giovonni's old thread)

Or is there anyone that is perheps familiar and may be able to provide more details on this insect which visited my place yesterday - it was unusually hugh with long antennae, nothing that I have encountered before

One more inquiry is about the gold colored preying mantis and how widespread is this type? (A guest from last year)

Many thanks in advance,

Limor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RR 029.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	945.7 KB
ID:	31043   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR 027.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	470.1 KB
ID:	31044   Click image for larger version

Name:	1064.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	774.1 KB
ID:	31045   Click image for larger version

Name:	1093.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	31049   Click image for larger version

Name:	1063.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	671.0 KB
ID:	31048  

Last edited by Limor Wolf; 5th September 2015 at 21:21.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Limor Wolf For This Post:

giovonni (10th September 2015), Jake (6th September 2015), Jean-Marie (6th September 2015), Robin (6th September 2015), william r sanford72 (6th September 2015)

8. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,600 times in 1,987 posts

I'm not an entomologist, but mantises take on the color of their surroundings, so the one in the picture must have been living somewhere that is gold in color, like dry grass, or something like that.

p.s. I don't know what kind of bug that other one is, but it is very beautiful

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

giovonni (10th September 2015), Jean-Marie (6th September 2015), Limor Wolf (6th September 2015), Omni (6th September 2015), Robin (6th September 2015), william r sanford72 (6th September 2015)

10. Link to Post #8
    Retired
    Thanks

Thanks, Selkie, it's rare to see that color on a mantis, a few people have mentioned they have not seen a color like this before. I am also thinking that the unusual insect is very beautiful which I communicated to it

I am bumping, in the hope to find an answer

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Limor Wolf For This Post:

giovonni (10th September 2015), Jean-Marie (6th September 2015), Robin (6th September 2015), Selkie (6th September 2015), william r sanford72 (6th September 2015)

12. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

Hi Limor.

It just so happens that I am an Entomologist and stumbled across this thread. What you have there is a Longhorn beetle. I am unsure of the exact species because I'm not familiar with Israel flora and fauna. Here are some more photos of different Longhorn beetle species you can browse through.

As far as the praying mantis goes, Selkie is exactly right. They have the ability to camouflage themselves to their surroundings, so that little fella probably spent a lot of time in tall grass (or perhaps a pile of gold at the end of a rainbow ).

In case you're interested...

Beetle animal totem

Praying mantis animal totem
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

giovonni (10th September 2015), Jake (6th September 2015), Jean-Marie (6th September 2015), Limor Wolf (6th September 2015), Omni (6th September 2015), Selkie (6th September 2015), william r sanford72 (6th September 2015)

14. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Robin (here)
    Hi Limor.

It just so happens that I am an Entomologist and stumbled across this thread. What you have there is a Longhorn beetle. I am unsure of the exact species because I'm not familiar with Israel flora and fauna. Here are some more photos of different Longhorn beetle species you can browse through.

As far as the praying mantis goes, Selkie is exactly right. They have the ability to camouflage themselves to their surroundings, so that little fella probably spent a lot of time in tall grass (or perhaps a pile of gold at the end of a rainbow ).

Beetle animal totem

About mantises, yeah, I saw a burnt-orange one once. It had been living in a set of burnt-orange curtains, lol.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

giovonni (10th September 2015), Jake (6th September 2015), Limor Wolf (6th September 2015), Omni (6th September 2015), Robin (6th September 2015), william r sanford72 (6th September 2015)

16. Link to Post #11
    Retired
    Thanks

Hi Robin, you are the one I was waiting for Longhorn indeed, I could detect it at the photos you've attached, thank you for that. There are always immediate connection and direction for those fellows to visit my home which I can not detail here. I wouldn't mind adopting the meaning and symbols presented in the animal totem, however, due to it's large appearence, I find it hard to relate to it as a beatle, even though it's from the same insect family.

There is no tall grass of yellow-gold around my area to justify such a strong golden color,but that is okay, it is wonderful to leave a room for a little mystery

Most helpful, Thanks, Robin ~
    (and Selkie)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Limor Wolf For This Post:

giovonni (10th September 2015), Jake (6th September 2015), william r sanford72 (6th September 2015)

18. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Limor Wolf (here)
    Hi Robin, you are the one I was waiting for Longhorn indeed, I could detect it at the photos you've attached, thank you for that. There are always immediate connection and direction for those fellows to visit my home which I can not detail here. I wouldn't mind adopting the meaning and symbols presented in the animal totem, however, due to it's large appearence, I find it hard to relate to it as a beatle, even though it's from the same insect family.

There is no tall grass of yellow-gold around my area to justify such a strong golden color,but that is okay, it is wonderful to leave a room for a little mystery

Most helpful, Thanks, Robin ~
    (and Selkie)
    The mantis also looks like it just molted. They usually appear very shiny after molting their old skin and becoming an adult. But in my opinion, I believe there is more to the way wildlife expresses itself than we traditionally think. This mantis may have simply chosen to exhibit gold coloration because that is what it felt on the inside and it wanted to show off to the world.
    ~Henry David Thoreau

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

genevieve (6th September 2015), giovonni (10th September 2015), Limor Wolf (6th September 2015), Omni (6th September 2015), Selkie (6th September 2015), Shannon (6th September 2015), william r sanford72 (6th September 2015)

20. Link to Post #13
    United States Moderator (on Sabbatical) Shannon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,063 times in 1,211 posts

Hi Limor.

Beetle animal totem

Thanks robin, I was going to post to limor a pic of the Asian longhorned beetle... I only recognized it because the city (nyc) sends people out to knock on doors looking for any trace of the Asian longhorned. It's serious business, I guess they want this species out of the city.

Any speculation as to why? Is it just the damage to trees?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shannon For This Post:

giovonni (10th September 2015), Selkie (6th September 2015)

22. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

TRUE FACTS about the mantis. No, really...

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

DeDukshyn (9th September 2015), giovonni (10th September 2015), Limor Wolf (8th September 2015), Shannon (6th September 2015), william r sanford72 (6th July 2016)

24. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Saint Theresa (here)
    Thanks robin, I was going to post to limor a pic of the Asian longhorned beetle... I only recognized it because the city (nyc) sends people out to knock on doors looking for any trace of the Asian longhorned. It's serious business, I guess they want this species out of the city.

The Longhorn beetle that visited Limor is not the infamous Asian Longhorned beetle. The Asian Longhorned beetle is a nuisance in the United States, and they are an issue because they infest trees by boring through wood and causing destruction to a lot of otherwise healthy trees. They out-compete native wildlife and have an unfair advantage in being able to resist treatment.
    ~Henry David Thoreau

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

giovonni (10th September 2015), Selkie (6th September 2015), Shannon (6th September 2015)

26. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Saint Theresa (here)

The Longhorn beetle that visited Limor is not the infamous Asian Longhorned beetle. The Asian Longhorned beetle is a nuisance in the United States, and they are an issue because they infest trees by boring through wood and causing destruction to a lot of otherwise healthy trees. They out-compete native wildlife and have an unfair advantage in being able to resist treatment.
    Ahh, got it. Yeah I always the inspectors in to check out the trees but never saw any evidence that it was present. I kinda feel bad that they've got their own wanted poster.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shannon For This Post:

giovonni (10th September 2015), Selkie (6th September 2015), william r sanford72 (6th July 2016)

28. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Selkie (here)
    TRUE FACTS about the mantis. No, really...

That was awesome.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shannon For This Post:

DeDukshyn (9th September 2015), giovonni (10th September 2015), Selkie (6th September 2015)

30. Link to Post #18
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Even in the domain of insects~ uneasy lies the head that wears the crown

A heads up ...
    For those interested and living in available viewing areas ...
    Coming up later this month ~ the lord of the ant's himself ...

E.O. WILSON - OF ANTS AND MEN | Preview | PBS

Quote Premieres Wednesday, September 30, 9:00-11:00 p.m. ET

An exploration of the remarkable life and groundbreaking ideas of biologist E.O Wilson, founder of the discipline of sociobiology.
    Published on Sep 9, 2015

31. Link to Post #19
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

will share this here ...

'Fearsome Raisin' Ant Sports Striking Fingerprint Pattern

Note: For more on these amazing creatures - will share this again

Quote Posted by giovonni (here)

A preview

Now~ get some popcorn and watch this excellent special

Last edited by giovonni; 6th July 2016 at 11:27.

+ Reply to Thread