+ Reply to Thread
Page 1514 of 1822 FirstFirst 1 514 1014 1414 1464 1504 1514 1524 1564 1614 1822 LastLast
Results 30,261 to 30,280 of 36433

Thread: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

1. Link to Post #30261
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,691 times in 13,806 posts

Default Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

Astrum

How Long Or Short Can A Year Be?

Published 10th October 2020

Astrum investigates some examples of extreme years. The differences are mind-boggling!

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Icare (13th October 2020), william r sanford72 (13th October 2020)

3. Link to Post #30262
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Nemesis Maturity

Earth Is Entering A Stream Of Debris From Halley's Comet - Orionid Meteor Shower 2020

Published 13th October 2020

One of the year's best sky shows will peak between October 20 and 22. The Orionid meteor shower. The meteors that streak across the sky are some of the fastest and brightest among meteor showers, because the Earth is hitting a stream of particles almost head on. The particles come from comet 1P/Halley, better known as Halley's Comet.

The Orionid meteor shower isn't the strongest, but it is one of the most beautiful showers of the year. The reason is its setting. The shower is framed by some of the brightest stars in the heavens. Constellations such as Taurus, Gemini, Canis Major and Orion provide a glittering backdrop for the display.

To see the show, experts suggest going outside one to two hours before sunrise, when the sky is dark and the constellation Orion is high overhead. Although Orionids emerge from a small area near the shoulder of Orion, they will spray across the entire sky. Orionid meteors are visible from anywhere on Earth.

Be prepared for speed!
    Meteoroids from Halley's Comet strike Earth's atmosphere traveling 148,000 mph. Only the November Leonids are faster. Speed is important because fast meteors have a tendency to explode. Occasionally, Orionid fireballs will leave incandescent streams of debris in their wake that linger for minutes. As many as 25 meteors an hour will dash across the starry sky.

If possible, get far away from city lights (which can hinder the show). The best time to watch this shower will be between the hours of midnight and dawn - regardless of your time zone.

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (13th October 2020), Icare (13th October 2020), Ivanhoe (13th October 2020), william r sanford72 (15th October 2020)

5. Link to Post #30263
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Parallax Nick

The Rivers Of The Solar System

Published 10th October 2020

Comets are not random; they follow courses prescribed by gravity, much like water in a river. In this episode, we sail the rivers of the Solar System to find their sources.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Icare (13th October 2020), william r sanford72 (15th October 2020)

7. Link to Post #30264
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

SciShow Space

A Violent Origin Story For Tiny Space Diamonds

Published 9th October 2020

Scientists may have discovered some clues to two vastly different anomalies. Microscopic diamonds inside of meteors, and why ancient black holes are so massive.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Icare (13th October 2020), william r sanford72 (15th October 2020)

9. Link to Post #30265
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 13th October 2020 | Dark Nova, Scary Implications For The Sun

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (13th October 2020), Icare (13th October 2020), william r sanford72 (13th October 2020)

11. Link to Post #30266
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,572 times in 1,716 posts

The following original photos deserves to be on this special thread.

AS 14-70-9836

AS 14-70-9837

AS 12-50-7346

AS 12-51-7553
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Bluegreen (18th October 2020), Star Tsar (19th October 2020), william r sanford72 (18th October 2020)

13. Link to Post #30267
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Martian Wolf

What Is A Blue Moon? Fun Facts About The Halloween Blue Moon

Published 17th October 2020

Will the Moon turn Blue? What is a Blue Moon? How often do they occur?

Contents of the video:
    0:00 Introduction
    0:26 What is a Blue Moon?
    1:10 Can the Moon turn Blue?
    2:13 How rare is a Blue Moon?
    2:56 Fun Facts
    4:50 Conclusion

In this video, we address various questions about Blue Moons. A month Blue Moon is the name for the second Full Moon within a calendar month. This upcoming Halloween (2020) is going to be a monthly Blue Moon. A seasonal Blue Moon is when four Full Moons happen within the same season.

The moon can appear in different colors depending on atmospheric conditions and astronomical events. In this video, we talk about the Moon looking blue, orange, and red. The Moon can look blue if there is a lot of dust or smoke particles in the atmosphere. When the Moon is near the horizon, it can appear to have an orangish color. During a total lunar eclipse, the Moon can look a dark reddish color.

Fun Facts:
    A Full Moon on Halloween is always a Blue Moon
    A Blue Moon can never happen in February
    This Blue Moon on Halloween will be near Apogee, making the Moon look 10% dimmer than a typical Full Moon.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (19th October 2020), william r sanford72 (19th October 2020)

15. Link to Post #30268
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

John Michael Godier's Event Horizon

Dr. James Benford | Looking For Technosignatures On The Moon

Published 15th October 2020

Von Neumann probes, self-replicating spacecraft, or Alien lurkers and alien artifacts all represent the idea that somewhere in our solar system, maybe even on the moon, there could be evidence of an alien civilization. These lurkers may have been silently watching us from space for millions of years or longer. Are Alien Artifacts on the moon? How would we search the moon for signs of technosignatures?

Jonh Michael Godier spoke to Dr. James Benford about his paper ', as well as other solutions to the fermi paradox that involves finding alien artifacts in our own solar system.

Looking for Lurkers: Objects Co-orbital with Earth as SETI Observables
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/1903.09582.pdf

POWER BEAMING LEAKAGE RADIATION AS A SETI OBSERVABLE
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/1602.05485.pdf

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (19th October 2020)

17. Link to Post #30269
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Space Weather Woman Tamitha Skov

Space Weather News | A Spectacular Solar Flare Fire Plume & New Bright Regions

Published 18th October 2020

Our Sun is definitely waking up with eye-candy to boot! We went from a spotless Sun just last week to multiple bright regions on the Earth-facing disk, including two sunspots in Earth view (and possibly another if you count the big region on the Sun's farside). These regions have not only boosted the solar flux into the mid-70s, but they are also firing off B and C-class solar flares. One of these flares, which occurred just slightly behind the Sun's west limb resulted in the most spectacular fire plume we have seen yet in this new cycle. Likely this flare was larger than we saw at Earth because the Sun partially blocked it from view.Even at a C5-level, it still gave us a gorgeous show. Aurora photographers will appreciate the fact we have a coronal hole that will rotate into the Earth-strike zone later this week. This will begin an extended period of fast solar wind from several coronal holes, including a polar coronal hole we have seen before. Last month the fast solar wind from these coronal holes brought us up to G2-storm levels. We will see if this will be a repeat performance. If so, we expect the peak of the storm to be sometime around October 25. Finally, the farside of the Sun is almost as dazzling as the front side. We have a stunning filament bridge dangling over a big bright region on the Sun's east limb in STEREO's view. It is hard to tell if this filament can hang on until it rotates into Earth view before about these active regions, how radio propagation and GPS reception is faring with all this new activity, and see what else our Sun has in store!

Related musical interlude:

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

19. Link to Post #30270
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

21. Link to Post #30271
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Geoengineering Watch

Global Alert News | Episode 271

How do you like your weather, natural or man-made?

Even as governments are ramping up CV-19 societal lockdowns, a World Health Organization Official has just issued “an appeal to all world leaders: stop using lockdown as your primary control method”. The public is being told that CV-19 is the core cause of coming food shortages, but this narrative is only a part of a much larger agenda and cover-up. What other objectives are a part of the picture?
    Yet more CV-19 vaccine trials have been halted due to safety problems, while the international bankers are issuing CV-19 relief loans to governments around the world. What cost will populations ultimately pay for these loans? Can endless money printing save us from the cascading collapse of Earth’s remaining life support systems?
    The NASA satellite image shown below (in the attached link) was captured by Geoengineering Watch on October 15th, 2020. This image reveals the shocking power the climate engineers possess. The constant high pressure “heat dome” over the US West blocks any and all moisture from coming anywhere near the California coast, let alone bringing any relief for parched and burning inland regions. The atmospheric high pressure zones are manipulated and maintained by massively powerful microwave transmission facilities like HAARP. These installations are known as “ionosphere heaters”. The unprecedented drought and wildfire scenarios in the US West are not an act of nature, they are the result of climate engineering operations.

Supporting link: https://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/...r-17-2020-271/

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (22nd October 2020)

23. Link to Post #30272
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Seeker

The Mystery Of Saturn’s Giant Hexagonal Storm May Soon Be Solved

Published 16th September 2020

Saturn has a giant 18,000-mile, hexagon-shaped cloud storm that could comfortably fit two Earths inside it, and since its discovery, the mysterious hexagon has left scientists stumped.

Until now.

A recent computer simulation designed by Harvard researchers might provide some clues about what exactly is forming this unusual hexagon marvel.

The high-speed, six-sided jet stream was first discovered in the early 1980’s by NASA’s Voyager flybys.

Using data taken during Cassini’s 13-year mission, researchers from Harvard set out to answer how Saturn’s turbulent conditions could give rise to stable, geometric jets.

The team of researchers built a 3-D computer simulation of Saturn’s hexagon to study its behavior. Find out more in this Elements.

Read More:

A new 3D model could explain the formation of a hexagon storm on Saturn
    https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...orm-on-saturn/
    "The model the researchers created suggests the storm is thousands of kilometers deep, well beneath Saturn’s cloud tops."

No, That's *Not* the Last Photo of Saturn From Cassini
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/no-tha...n-from-cassini
    "That monochrome shot was taken on September 14, 2017, less than a day before Cassini burned up."

These are the spookiest, scariest storms on any known planet
    https://astronomy.com/news/2016/10/w...netary-weather
    "From Jupiter's red storms to distant howling lightning storms, these are the places you least want to be."

¤=[Post Update]=¤

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

25. Link to Post #30273
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Asteroid Station

Asteroid (2020 UA)

Published 18th October 2020

Asteroid (2020 UA) will be passing Earth extremely close to Earth on October 21, 2020. This small asteroid only measures around 13 meters in diameter, 42 feet. 2020UA will only be 0.11 LD away from Earth, which will be 26,957 miles away. This asteroid is no threat to Earth, even if it entered the atmosphere is would just burn up and wouldn't stand a chance hitting Earth.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

27. Link to Post #30274
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Space.com

Two Asteroids Fly Closer Than The Moon On Same Day

Published 19th October 2020

Asteroids 2020 UX and 2020 TF6 zipped by Earth on Oct. 19, 2020. Car-size asteroid 2020 UX flew about 118,000 mi. (190,000 km) away while bus-size asteroid 2020 TF6 was about 95,400 mi. (153,531 km) away.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (20th October 2020)

29. Link to Post #30275
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

The Goldcast

Professor Volker Hessel | The Future Of Precious Metals Asteroid Mining & Extraction

Professor Volker Hessel is Deputy Dean of Research from the University of Adelaide’s Faculty of Engineering, Computer & Mathematical Sciences (ECMS) and Professor in the School of Chemical Engineering. Professor Hessel has worked on a metal extraction process for raw materials found in asteroids. He has also conducted research on space resources in a broader context including medicine, nutrients, food, and economics.

This is the first episode on the subject of Asteroid mining that we hope to cover more in the future. Professor Hessel shares with us his view of the current state of Asteroid extraction technology. We discuss current limitations both technological and economic.

Asteroid mining is often cited as a future gold market killer, particularly by folks from the technology world. It is a technical, complicated multi-disciplinary field and it is certainly worth educating yourself about as an individual precious metals investor.

This information is not financial advice.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

31. Link to Post #30276
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

The Mars Society

Elon Musk - 2020 Mars Society Virtual Convention

Published 16th October 2020

Elon Musk's comments with questions relayed from the Mars Society Membership by Dr. Robert Zubrin, James L. Burk, and Carie Fay. Following Elon's 30 min time, Dr. Zubrin took additional questions. This special event was part of the 2020 Mars Society Virtual Convention from October 14-18, 2020.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

33. Link to Post #30277
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Brothers Of The Serpent

Laird Scranton | The Velikovsky Heresies

Published 14th & 16th October 2020

On this episode we cover Laird's intro to the book and the first few chapters, discussing the controversy that Velikovsky's work caused, and Laird's purpose in writing the book, which was to see if Velikovsky's ideas hold up to modern science and the enormous amount of new understanding we have gathered about our solar system since the writing Velikovsky's works.

Starts @ 47:20

For part two of our deep dive into The Velikovsky Heresies by Laird Scranton, we talk about the mechanics of the solar system, of circular orbits, of retrograde motion. We talk about the "n-body problem" of physics and how the motions of all the bodies in the solar system is, over the long term, an exercise in chaos mathematics.

We read about how Velikovsky was in communication with Einstein before his death, and that Einstein was skeptical at first but was impressed when one of Velikovsky's predictions proved to be accurate. We read about ancient records comparing Venus to comets and supernova that were visible in the daytime, and about the strange properties of the core of Jupiter.

Starts @ 40:00

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

35. Link to Post #30278
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

SEA

The Oort Cloud | The Solar System's Shell

Published 16th October 2020

What lies at the very furthest recesses of the Solar System? Far beyond the orbit of Neptune and the Kuiper Belt, deep into interstellar space, lies a vast, thick shell of icy space debris. We have never seen it directly, but we know it exists- because it is the source of the most distant comets that we see entering the Solar System. Why is it there?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

37. Link to Post #30279
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Lowell Observatory

Sagas In The Sky | Taurus

Sagas in the Sky explores some of the stories behind the stars in the night sky. In this episode, we look at the story of Taurus, the Bull.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (19th October 2020), william r sanford72 (22nd October 2020)

39. Link to Post #30280
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Nemesis Maturity

Moon, Jupiter & Saturn Will Form A Celestial Triangle

Published 20th October 2020

Over the next several evenings (Oct. 21-23) watch for the waxing Moon to sweep by the gas giant planets, Jupiter and Saturn.

On the evening of Oct. 22 the nearly half-full waxing Moon, the bright planet Jupiter, and the fainter planet Saturn, will form a celestial triangle in the southern sky.

The Orionid meteor shower will peak on the mornings of October 21 and 22 too. The Orionids start producing meteors in late evening, but the number of meteors increases after midnight. The greatest number of Orionid meteors streak the sky during the few hours before dawn. You might see as many as 15 to 20 meteors per hour at the Orionid's peak.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (20th October 2020), william r sanford72 (22nd October 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1514 of 1822 FirstFirst 1 514 1014 1414 1464 1504 1514 1524 1564 1614 1822 LastLast