+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Introverted Personalities and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,530 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: Introverted Personalities and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

----------

Maybe we should add this to the profile section as an option.

Bill -----> ENTP / ENFP.

Balanced T and F (Thinking and Feeling).
    Very high N and P (Intuition and preference-for-lack-of-structure - which is what 'P' really means).

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Adrian86 (31st January 2011), ASIA (30th January 2011), astrid (31st January 2011), cowens66 (30th January 2011), Ernie Nemeth (7th February 2011), Pris (22nd August 2014), romina (30th January 2011), RunningDeer (25th April 2013), Sophocles (21st June 2018)

3. Link to Post #42
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 times in 405 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    ----------

Bill -----> ENTP / ENFP.

Very high N and P (Intuition and preference-for-lack-of-structure - which is what 'P' really means).
    Can you give a link (upload) this "test"....?
    I can't find myself in any of them and seem to be flip-flopping between them all.....

4. Link to Post #43
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

----------

Bill -----> ENTP / ENFP.

Please, please, please, ............don't! It will be total disclosure! LOL

5. Link to Post #44
    Deactivated
    Thanks

I am an INTJ but on, what I consider, a bad day I can be a ENTJ. A bad day is realizing I've had too much solitude and I burst upon the world with a captivating personality. All rather draining after a while.

Although introverted some take my outgoing personality for arrogance. This is their misconception of my confidence of not being intimidated in new or crowed surroundings. However, get me to speak publicly in a room full of people I don't know, then inwardly I crumble. I hate that.

My jobs have mostly been in sales so I’m used to approaching and dealing with strangers. I can see what needs to be done to make things work better. I had a bad habit of making decisions over my superiors...oops lol. If no one takes charge of something I feel important then I'll step up. Socially I can be commanding and a take charge of the situation guy....if need be.

Here's a link to a quick test. Note your scores and follow the internal links. Also google to find out what type of jobs may suit you.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
    Last edited by SteveX; 30th January 2011 at 13:07.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveX For This Post:

edina (31st January 2011), write4change (31st January 2011)

7. Link to Post #45
    United States Avalon Member jesterking's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Maybe we should add this to the profile section as an option.

Bill -----> ENTP / ENFP.

good idea!

Bill you are the first ENF/NTP that.. (I cant say that Ive met) but I have watched many of your interviews, and read your posts..and considering I too am an ENFP I find myself able to identify even more with what you do and who you are. You really are on an epic quest beyond that of just self, but of OUR self..I appreciate your courage, heart, and focus of energy in a truly WORTHWHILE direction. Im grateful beyond words..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jesterking For This Post:

markpierre (23rd April 2013)

9. Link to Post #46
    Croatia Deactivated
    Thanks

Default Re:  Introverted Personalities and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

From http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

I am ENFP (Extraverted 89% Intuitive 75% Feeling 75% Perceiving 33%)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to romina For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (5th February 2011), jesterking (31st January 2011), markpierre (23rd April 2013), Swami (30th January 2011)

11. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

INFJ here. I became a fiction author when I grew up. Still dreaming and existing within myself.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InTheBackground For This Post:

markpierre (23rd April 2013), RunningDeer (25th April 2013), write4change (31st January 2011)

13. Link to Post #48
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,806 times in 315 posts

Default Re: Introverted Personalities and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

INFJ with the central weight placed heavily on Intuition. Not surprising. Nonlocal intuition and access is my thing (sometimes 'read only', sometimes 'read/write'). I also lucid dream every night.

The MBTI also gave me Introverted as the second weightiest aspect of my INFJ... yes, I do enjoy the inward-outward flow but it is nothing without the outward-inward flow to balance it. I love extremely loud and aggressive music, all the way to pure harsh noise, just as much as I love calm and soothing music I get my kicks experiencing being centered in all different environments.

Being an aural/visual artist I've always enjoyed experimenting with perception and the whole holographic spectrum of chaos vs order during my stay in this body.

I do prefer to be alone most of the time but I have no issues with groups or crowds at all, they're only further opportunities to fine tune centeredness and also to spread vast quantities of aetheric pixie dust, subtly *WINK*
    Last edited by 000; 31st January 2011 at 04:28.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 000 For This Post:

edina (31st January 2011), Ernie Nemeth (7th February 2011), markpierre (23rd April 2013)

15. Link to Post #49
    United States Avalon Member Erin's Avatar
    Thanks

It's weird - in the past I have usually gotten INFP on these tests, but I keep getting INTJ now. I think I have elements of both (I'm creative/a writer, but also rely heavily on logic and analyzing things). Either way, the Intuition part was the strongest, and the last two were the lowest.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Erin For This Post:

17. Link to Post #50
    United States Avalon Member write4change's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,632 times in 628 posts

I do not know Bill in any way. I have had no interaction with him. I have gone to my books on MyersBriggs. Bill put this out there. And it fits with his profile. So if you want to understand Bill let us see how accurate this is and what he thinks about it.

Bill is an idealist under Jungian concepts. A Champion according David Kerisey. How do Champions view the world:

In the view of the Champions nothing occurs that is without significance, without profound meaning. And they don't want to miss any of it. ENFPs must experience all the events that affect people's lives, and then they are eager to relate the stories they've uncovered, hoping to disclose some truth about people and issues, and to motivate others with their powerful convictions. This strong drive to speak out on social events can make these Champions tireless in conversing with others, like fountains that bubble and splash, spilling over their own words to get it all out. Their enthusiasm is boundless and is often contagious, making them the most vivacious of all the types, and also inspiring others to join their cause.

As a variant of Plat's Idealists and Aristotle's Ethicists, the ENFPs are little different from other NFs in most respects. Like all the Idealists they are abstract in communicating and cooperative in implementing goals. they want to learn about the humanities, are preoccupied with morale, and work well with personnel. In orientation they are altruistic, credulous, mystical, situated on pathways, and with their eye on tomorrow. They base their self image on being seen empathic, benevolent, and authentic. Often inspired, they trust their intuition, yearn for romance, seek identity, prize recognition, and aspire to be a sage. Intellectually, they are prone to practice diplomacy far more than strategy, logistics, and especially tactics. Further, having a probing or exploring nature they ten to prefer the Advocate's informative role over the more schedule-minded Mentor's directive role. And because of their irrepressible expressiveness they are more eager to be a Champion of causes than a Healer of troubled souls. To visualize ENFP intellectual development consider the following their path: advocate, teacher, healer, counselor.

The are rather rare, say two or three percent of the population, but even more than the others they consider intense emotional experiences as being vital to a full life. Champions have a wide range and variety of emotions, and a great passion for novelty, and resist repeating experiences. Also, they can never quite shake the feeling that a part of themselves is split off, uninvolved in their experience. Thus, while they strive for emotional intensity, Champions often see themselves in some danger of losing touch with their real feelings.

These expressive Advocates are fiercely independent, repudiating any kind of subordination, either in themselves or in others in relation to them. Unfortunately, Champions constantly find themselves surrounded by others who look toward them for wisdom, inspiration, courage, and leadership, a dependency which , at times, weighs rather heavily on them. In the same vein, ENFPs strive toward a kind of spontaneous personal authenticity, and this intention always to be themselves is usually communicated nonverbally to others, who find it quite attractive.

In their probing way, Champions exercise a continuous scanning of the social environment, and no suspicious motive is likely to escape their attention. Far more than other NFs, they are the keen and penetrating observers of the people around them, and are capable of intense concentration on another individual. Their attention is never passive or casual, never wandering , but always directed. In fact, seeing life as an exciting drama pregnant with possibilities for both good and evil, Champions tent to be hypersensitive and hyperalert, always ready for emergencies.

Historical View of this Personality Type:

Hippocrates Phlegmatic
    Aristotle Air --- cool
    Jung Idealist
    Watson/Crick Cytosine
    Nomi/Besher Blood Type AB
    Friedman Chemical Types Type B
    Sperry Brain Types Right brain
    Abravanel Body Types Gonadal
    Mar facial types Round
    Mendel Garland
    Pavlov Canine Types Steadfast
    Cultural Southern

What turns on this personality:

Cooperation Teamwork Peacefulness
    Pleasant people Helping others Camaraderie
    Volunteerism Loyalty Emotional support
    Optimism Trust Relationships
    Slow pace Kindness Advising
    Feeling needed Smooth sailing Resolving conflicts
    Communication Encouragement Friendliness

What turns this personality off:

Shouting Roadblocks to peace
    Feeling shunned Lack of teamwork
    Conflict Fast pace
    Negative attitudes Competition
    Isolation Impatience
    Heavy Responsibilities Rigid Deadlines
    Insensitivity Uncooperativeness
    Pressure Rudeness

I have not gotten out my books in a long time. They have a whale of information in them. Now that i have reviewed them, I know why I am attracted to and feel comfortable with Bill and his judgment. And I would bet that Kerry is the exact opposite of all these traits and needs. A relationship of exact opposites is very intense and you learn a lot from them but when they are done; they are over. Bill's personality is tuned to the learning experience, bless and let go.
    Last edited by write4change; 8th February 2011 at 07:08.
    Beware the axis of sanctimony.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to write4change For This Post:

19. Link to Post #51
    Australia Avalon Member Adrian86's Avatar
    Thanks

I am quite happy to see that this thread has taken off! A great deal of information has been brought to my attention as a result.

Many questions and concerns that were buried deep in my mind are beginning to see resolve. Yet, as I begin to understand such concepts with deeper insight, more questions tend to arise...

----------

My result from the Myers-Briggs Test is: INFJ (http://typelogic.com/infj.html)

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adrian86 For This Post:

markpierre (23rd April 2013), RunningDeer (25th April 2013), write4change (31st January 2011)

21. Link to Post #52
    United States Avalon Member write4change's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,632 times in 628 posts

Thank you Adrian for posting this link with so much quick and useful information. I had not seen that one before and I like having something where I do not have to drag out all my books but for Bill it was worth it. LOL
    Beware the axis of sanctimony.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to write4change For This Post:

23. Link to Post #53
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Intj? Enfp? Infp?

24. Link to Post #54
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Thanks for the link, SteveX - don't know how I missed it the first time around.
    According to the test I am INFP. High emphasis on F and even higher on P.
    From the description I would say it is highly accurate.
    That was fun!
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

26. Link to Post #55
    Australia Deactivated
    Thanks

Thanks to Edina
    That's interesting information which immediately made me think of the relationship between muscle fibre types and athletic inclinations. Short, or fast twitch fibres for sprinters, and long, or slow twitch fibres for stayers!!
    Adrian86, live your INFJ with confidence! You are a rare gem, only about 2% of the population have this combination. I would say, what is it that you love to do? Even if you only do it at home, do it, work at it and develop it's craft. You will develop your personal appreciation, skill and ability, and this will shine through in your "public" life. This will enhance and consolidate your personal strength and you will exude an inner light, becoming of yourself.
    Thanks.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Come As You Are For This Post:

Adrian86 (6th February 2011), markpierre (23rd April 2013), write4change (8th February 2011)

28. Link to Post #56
    Australia Avalon Member Blake Elder's Avatar
    Thanks

I am INTP. Any other INTP here?

I am High I and High P.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Blake Elder For This Post:

30. Link to Post #57
    Retired
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,050 times in 3,027 posts

What an interesting subject !I think it worth to bring it back alive for the sake of all the introverts between us (just for the record,I think extraverts desreve the same kind of thread!).

I have taken the meyers-Brigg / jung test yesterday and reaffirmed to myself that my personality (would love to be able to submit some new requests for the next time...) very much match the clasic INFJ.I also listned to some other INFJ's on you tube,and found bits and pieces of myself in each and every one of them.our introvertness dictates our life,it is felt like a limit sometimes but it has some well of good in it - a deep inner world that can easily compare with that of the outer one (as Bill nicknamed it in this thread - our privet 'universe') and the gift of intuition.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VZPtL...eature=related
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=4Cnxu...eature=related
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Dd9zI...eature=related

If you haven't already done the test,it is much recommended.not that you dont know yourself,oh no,you do,we are here on Avalon,the home and the friendly environment for questioning and aware people,surely we are aware about ourselves..but its just feel utterly nice to know that there are others like us.

The next questionnaire : what type of ET are you? can someone start to work on this one...

~*&^~*&

Limor
    Last edited by Limor Wolf; 3rd July 2011 at 22:33.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Limor Wolf For This Post:

Lord Sidious (3rd July 2011), markpierre (23rd April 2013), RunningDeer (25th April 2013)

32. Link to Post #58
    Retired
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,050 times in 3,027 posts

This is way too far fetched,and I appologize, but I can not help and wonder,that if we are descendant of a several ET species ,than maybe some of it reflects in the Meyers-Brigg test results.

Here is the description of some ET types- of course we hardly know anything on them to make any comparison at all..

http://www.bizton.com/id215.html

(This is the only place where I can type those kind of thoughts and than press the 'send' button.Thank you Avalon)

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Limor Wolf For This Post:

Lord Sidious (5th July 2011), markpierre (23rd April 2013), misericordia (28th November 2011), RunningDeer (25th April 2013), Sophocles (21st June 2018), ThePythonicCow (4th July 2011)

34. Link to Post #59
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by Limor (here)
    but I can not help and wonder,that if we are descendant of a several ET species ,than maybe some of it reflects in the Meyers-Brigg test results.
    When I observe the diversity of other plant and animal species (such as the diverse temperaments of dogs) it does not surprise me that humans have an amazing diversity in all aspects of their being. That seems to be the way of life (even of inanimate geological and astronomical structures.)

So I for one cannot conclude either way whether the presence of different human temperaments is a reflection of ET ancestry or not.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Limor Wolf (4th July 2011), Lord Sidious (5th July 2011), markpierre (23rd April 2013), mosquito (26th April 2013), Sophocles (21st June 2018)

36. Link to Post #60
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Giving a bump and thanks to Adrian86 and Limor.

Also Bill's post and the explanation on the difference between introverted and extraverted:

----------

Huge subject. I used to run seminars on the MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) - an extension of Jung's work on very fundamental character types.

The terms introverted and extraverted have altered and evolved since Jung first coined them. They have come to mean (sort of) 'shy and unconfident' vs 'social and confident' - in casual modern use.

This is not what the terms originally meant. The original use is a very valuable thinking tool.

A preference for Introversion means that one's inner world is more important that the outer 'real' one. For an Introvert to operate in the non-preferred, 'outer' world means that one is constantly draining one's batteries. One might be able to function well (or not), but either way it's exhausting and one has to 'go inside' to recharge.

To recharge, one might go for a walk in the forest, listen to relaxing music, meditate, enjoy a long bath, read a good book. Always alone (or with someone you don't have to talk to!)

An Extravert is the opposite. Their preferred world is the external, 'real' one. They will recharge by going to parties, eating in a crowded restaurant, meeting people, playing team sports, listening to loud music.

For an Introvert, this would be a nightmarish ordeal at the end of a long day. For an Extrovert, they are plugging into the source of energy they need to sustain them.

There is much more to this. But those are the basics.

Of interest, many Avalon forum members are Introverts - they prefer to write rather than talk (as Extraverts do) - and besides, the Extraverts are all out having a good time while you're there with your keyboard and your strong, vivid, internal universe.

Quote Posted by Limor (here)
    What an interesting subject !I think it worth to bring it back alive for the sake of all the introverts between us (just for the record,I think extraverts desreve the same kind of thread!).

I have taken the meyers-Brigg / jung test yesterday and reaffirmed to myself that my personality (would love to be able to submit some new requests for the next time...) very much match the clasic INFJ.I also listned to some other INFJ's on you tube,and found bits and pieces of myself in each and every one of them.our introvertness dictates our life,it is felt like a limit sometimes but it has some well of good in it - a deep inner world that can easily compare with that of the outer one (as Bill nicknamed it in this thread - our privet 'universe') and the gift of intuition.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VZPtL...eature=related
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=4Cnxu...eature=related
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Dd9zI...eature=related

If you haven't already done the test,it is much recommended.not that you dont know yourself,oh no,you do,we are here on Avalon,the home and the friendly environment for questioning and aware people,surely we are aware about ourselves..but its just feel utterly nice to know that there are others like us.

The next questionnaire : what type of ET are you? can someone start to work on this one...

~*&^~*&

Limor
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 25th April 2013 at 14:16.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

karelia (26th April 2013), mosquito (26th April 2013), Sophocles (21st June 2018), Wind (26th April 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast