+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hypnotherapy: the Pros and Cons

1. Link to Post #1
    United States On Sabbatical avatar's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Hypnotherapy: the Pros and Cons

Can someone please tell me the negative consequences of hypnotherapy. I have been told not to use it, but never told exactly why. Is it because they can "program" you when you are in that state? Is it like Richard Allan Miller saying Remote Viewing is bad because you can become what you are viewing? (Paraphrasing what he said) Thanking you in advance!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avatar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st November 2017), Callista (21st November 2017), raregem (23rd November 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    France Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Hypnotherapy: the Pros and Cons

Quote Posted by avatar (here)
    Can someone please tell me the negative consequences of hypnotherapy. I have been told not to use it, but never told exactly why. Is it because they can "program" you when you are in that state? Is it like Richard Allan Miller saying Remote Viewing is bad because you can become what you are viewing? (Paraphrasing what he said) Thanking you in advance!
    Hypnotherapy is like a hammer you can use it for good or bad reason, it depend on the therapist... So you can get hypnotherapy without negative consequences.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to guyres For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st November 2017), Callista (21st November 2017), PathWalker (5th June 2018), raregem (23rd November 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

The way I see it, anything messing around with your "will" or your "control" just does not seem like a good idea. I have no concrete reason why, just going off intuition. Anything that makes you "black out" or "go into a trance" I try to stay away from.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st November 2017), Callista (21st November 2017), Hervé (22nd November 2017), misbis (21st November 2017), raregem (23rd November 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    The way I see it, anything messing around with your "will" or your "control" just does not seem like a good idea. I have no concrete reason why, just going off intuition. Anything that makes you "black out" or "go into a trance" I try to stay away from.
    May be you have a point here.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misbis For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st November 2017), Callista (21st November 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    France Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Just to underscore the important point, neither Will nor I use hypnosis of any kind.
    So what hypnosis is about, how could a person be vaccinate from that ? from self-hypnosis to hetero-hypnosis, who can live outside ?

Mod note from Bill: thanks, but please edit your post so that it's easier to understand in English! At the moment, I do NOT know what the questions are that you're asking. (Write it in French as well, if you like, and then others who are bilingual will be happy to assist.)

Sorry Bill a make it to short, I'm fussy with words...

To be under hypnosis is to be in a state of modified consciousness, everyone goes there every day, driving, listening to music, watching a movie, and so on.

Unfortunately people have an epinal image of hypnosis ...

So the question was: can anyone live without a modified state of consciousness, at least from time to time?

Let me answer no. So I think Bill like everyone uses or is used by hypnosis of one kind or another.

To go forward, meditation is a kind of self-hypnosis, and with other people (music, therapist) it's hetero-hypnosis.

just to clarify, not for simplicity, you know it or not I'm a hypnotherapist, it's my job. And words do not allow real communication, so it's complicated not to simplify.
    Last edited by guyres; 22nd November 2017 at 04:05. Reason: comprehension (understanding)

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to guyres For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st November 2017), Callista (22nd November 2017), ceetee9 (22nd November 2017), neutronstar (22nd November 2017), PathWalker (5th June 2018), raregem (23rd November 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 times in 371 posts

Quote Posted by guyres (here)
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Just to underscore the important point, neither Will nor I use hypnosis of any kind.
    So what hypnosis is about, how could a person be vaccinate from that ? from self-hypnosis to hetero-hypnosis, who can live outside ?

Mod note from Bill: thanks, but please edit your post so that it's easier to understand in English! At the moment, I do NOT know what the questions are that you're asking. (Write it in French as well, if you like, and then others who are bilingual will be happy to assist.)

Sorry Bill a make it to short, I'm fussy with words...

To be under hypnosis is to be in a state of modified consciousness, everyone goes there every day, driving, listening to music, watching a movie, and so on.

Unfortunately people have an epinal image of hypnosis ...

So the question was: can anyone live without a modified state of consciousness, at least from time to time?

Let me answer no. So I think Bill like everyone uses or is used by hypnosis of one kind or another.

To go forward, meditation is a kind of self-hypnosis, and with other people (music, therapist) it's hetero-hypnosis.

just to clarify, not for simplicity, you know it or not I'm a hypnotherapist, it's my job. And words do not allow real communication, so it's complicated not to simplify.
    I'll add to that.

There are 4 brainwave states, Beta(waking state), Alpha(mild hypnotic), Theta(deep hypnotic), and Delta(Deep sleep).

If you are looking at a screen right now you are more than likely in the Alpha state. People cannot stay in the beta state while looking at a screen of any sort,that is why advertising on tv is so effective, it is a form of hypnosis. Small children spend all there waking state in alpha, they never reach beta.

We move from different BW states threw out the day. It is the deep states, Theta and Delta that are most effective, but everyone enters those states as well every day. Hypnosis is just a term that most people don't really understand. When you do understand it, it can be used effectively to deprogram damage that was done earlier in life. From the moment you were born your programming begun threw hypnotic states mostly. It made our personalities.
    Last edited by neutronstar; 23rd November 2017 at 03:34.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to neutronstar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd November 2017), guyres (23rd November 2017), PathWalker (5th June 2018), raregem (23rd November 2017), wnlight (23rd November 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

... let me re-iterate something already posted on this thread (here):
    Regarding hypnosis, hypnotists and hypnotherapists:

Quote Jack True was one of the most innovative hypnotherapists of our time.

Largely unknown in academic circles, uninterested in publishing his work, Jack focused on his patients.

We met in 1987. We became friends and colleagues.

Over the course of several years, I interviewed him many times.

Jack eventually gave up on straight hypnosis-and-suggestion as a way to do therapy.

He said,
    "I’m finding that people who come to my office are already in a hypnotic state, so my job is to wake them up."
    Jon Rappoport
    ===========================================

So, why would Jack consider his "patients" being already under an hypnotic trance?

Simply because they call on him to regain control over something they have no control over and are guided through life by some sort of unconscious post hypnotic command/order/suggestion.

Hence Jack's goal of "waking them up"... not by piling another hypnotic command/order/suggestion on top of their unconscious ones, but by helping them to consciously unravel their unconscious content, from where the "No Hypnosis used" distinction.

And, rather than classifying it under "self-hypnosis" it rather falls under the "Self-de-hypnosis" department since it is not one's unconscious content that's driving the subject's life and behaviour but, to the contrary, it is the conscious individual who digs his/her own unconscious content out into the open light for examination.

I hope this helps clarify the matter a bit better
    Last edited by Hervé; 22nd November 2017 at 12:45.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

avatar (31st October 2018), Bill Ryan (23rd November 2017), Mike (22nd November 2017), PathWalker (5th June 2018), raregem (23rd November 2017), RunningDeer (22nd November 2017), Tintin (14th July 2018), Violet3 (22nd November 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    Some wind to your sails from the wisdom of the Gypsies of old:

Quote Posted by Amzer Zo (here)
    Something to take into consideration with regards to hypnosis:

Here are the words from a very old oral tradition echoed to the ears of an apprentice to the Gypsy tradition (Pierre Derlon, Voyage au delà du Mental):

Quote “Never in my life have I ever used hypnosis as my masters constantly repeated to me that what destroys Man’s will, destroys Man. Hypnosis destroys consciousness of motion and therefore massacres personality. For hypnosis is to a man’s brain what drug is to his body: a poison which, by killing his will, enslaves his soul into only perceiving lies.

“The difference between drugs and mental disciplines is that drugs kill; whereas, whichever ascetic discipline chosen, it strengthens/empowers. Man is prisoner of drugs, he is the master of the disciplines he subjects his body to in order to free his spirit from the gangue he is prisoner of.

"Man is ignorant of the fact that he is both a machine as well as its mechanics. He distances himself from nature and resorts to artifice. Artifice slowly kills him."

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

avatar (31st October 2018), Bill Ryan (23rd November 2017), Charles Harris (23rd November 2017), petra (22nd November 2017), raregem (23rd November 2017), william r sanford72 (22nd November 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Hi,

This is my first post. I feel I am qualified to speak on this subject, as my great-grandfather was a hypnotist by trade. His name was P.J. de Lesseps and as a little girl, I used to go to demonstrations of his, in New Orleans, which were often quite large.

He used my mother as a subject because she was susceptible to suggestion. He always refused to hypnotize my sister and me. I was never sure why.

Now, he was a kind man, who used his skills to do past life regressions, help people stop smoking and to lose weight, etc.

However, years later, my mother's sessions came back to haunt her, so to speak.

After six months to a year of spiritual targeting and my awakening experience, my mother was diagnosed with stage four cancer and had months to live. I had always noticed odd glitches in her behavior and things that seemed out of synch, mostly regarding her attitude to me.

However, it didn't hit home until she was ill and I and some others began to notice she seemed to be in some kind of weird trance upon occasion, always when her (I now believe psychopathic) boyfriend was around. He would lean in, massage her temple with his fingers and whisper in her ear. She would get a programmed look on her face and blank out.

In other words, I believe (know) the boyfriend had accidently or purposely triggered a hypnotic state and had been using it on her for years, to drain her bank accounts, get her to do his bidding and turn her away from me and my siblings.

It was quite in our faces and noticed by other members of the family, who are not into the esoteric side of things.

In that respect, in can be very dangerous in the wrong hands.

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

avatar (31st October 2018), Bill Ryan (23rd November 2017), Bruno (22nd November 2017), Feritciva (22nd November 2017), Hervé (22nd November 2017), Mike (22nd November 2017), PathWalker (5th June 2018), raregem (23rd November 2017), RunningDeer (22nd November 2017), ThePythonicCow (22nd November 2017), Tintin (14th July 2018), wnlight (23rd November 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Turkey Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 times in 216 posts

Quote Posted by Villival (here)

However, years later, my mother's sessions came back to haunt her, so to speak.

After six months to a year of spiritual targeting and my awakening experience, my mother was diagnosed with stage four cancer and had months to live. I had always noticed odd glitches in her behavior and things that seemed out of synch, mostly regarding her attitude to me.

I found above part very very interesting because some people I know experienced similar problems after different energy techniques sessions. I began to question if ALL of the energy methods has been "contaminated" or not? Does anyone have similar observations?

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feritciva For This Post:

avatar (31st October 2018), Bill Ryan (23rd November 2017), Hervé (23rd November 2017), raregem (23rd November 2017), ThePythonicCow (22nd November 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States On Sabbatical avatar's Avatar
    Thanks

Further research found an article on the Dangers of Hypnotism by Max Heindel (a Rosicrucian). He starts out by saying "To control others by the exercise of will power is mental assault..." and goes on from there. He indicates the hypnotist is "wire-tapping" the lines of communication between the Ego and the body of his victim, and it goes downhill from there. Just a heads up...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avatar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd November 2017), Hervé (23rd November 2017), raregem (23rd November 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

The fact that hypnosis is even possible is telling of our mechanical nature. I've been trying to decide what's the point of it, and my guess so far is that it's some kind of precaution.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

avatar (31st October 2018), Bill Ryan (23rd November 2017), Hervé (22nd November 2017), PathWalker (5th June 2018), raregem (23rd November 2017)

25. Link to Post #13
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Further research found an article on the Dangers of Hypnotism by Max Heindel (a Rosicrucian). He starts out by saying "To control others by the exercise of will power is mental assault..." and goes on from there. He indicates the hypnotist is "wire-tapping" the lines of communication between the Ego and the body of his victim, and it goes downhill from there. Just a heads up...
    Oskar Bernhardt calls hypnotism "a crime against the spirit" in his book "in the Light of Truth". Ref: http://www.abdrushin.us/in-the-light...rushin-035.php

Mind you this is a chanelled book, and to be taken with lots of grains of salt!

The point he's trying to get across rings true with me though - that this can make a permanent link. He describes it like chains.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

avatar (23rd November 2017), Bill Ryan (23rd November 2017), Hervé (23rd November 2017), raregem (23rd November 2017)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

I know for my great grandfather, based on knowing him and reading his self published books, that that what he was really pushing was Self Hypnosis in the form of getting rid of phobias, fears, negative behaviours, etc. and must have found out the dangers of it in between our formative years and the teenage years, when he was adamant NOT to hypnotize us. He was totally in private practice at that point and gave no demonstrations, etc.

He must have found something out by then, about the negative aspects (he was born in 1900). It was a "new" science when he became interested and he was very, very french.

The same as all the whistleblowers; be careful what you are fooling around with; generally it's part of a bigger picture of which you know nothing.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

avatar (31st October 2018), Bill Ryan (23rd November 2017), Hervé (23rd November 2017), PathWalker (5th June 2018), raregem (23rd November 2017)

29. Link to Post #15
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Interesting... because another French guy of the same era ended up concluding a very similar thing:
    Émile Coué

http://www.psychomaster.com/books/emile/

(1857-1926) Émile Coué, a physician formulated the Laws of Suggestion. He is also known for encouraging his patients to say to themselves 20-30 times each night before going to sleep, “Everyday in every way, I am getting better and better”. He also discovered that when giving patients their medicine and delivering positive suggestion at the same time, proved to be a more effective cure than prescribing medicine alone. He eventually abandoned hypnosis in favour of just using positive suggestion and he thought that the hypnotic state impaired the efficiency of the suggestion.

[...]

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

avatar (23rd November 2017), raregem (23rd November 2017)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Herve, you are right on. Same time period. My great grandparents had a LOT of personal integrity and were so artistic and forgiving. I mean they used to have parties with artists, musicians, strippers. But, very, very classy, non judgemental, curious, accepting. He was an artist, a musician, etc.. I know he lived in integrity. All these "arts"; there are non integrally bad, depending on the will and intent of the user.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Hervé (23rd November 2017), raregem (23rd November 2017)

33. Link to Post #17
    France Avalon Member
    Thanks

Reply or not respond to this post, google translation will help me a little.
    It seems that the judgment of hypnosis and hypnotherapy has already been made, which is easier than really to be interested in it.
    But what about psychotherapy? This word coined by Hyppolyte Bernheim in 1891 which means: a therapeutic treatment by hypnotic suggestion.
    Rather agree with Neutronstar, although the divisions of the trance states are just details, as could the different ways of inducing this trance.
    To make it even simpler, hypnosis is just a tool (in psychotherapy) that helps the patient to become aware of the origin of his or her behaviors and then to pierce the bound emotional pocket, just to be lighter.
    To repeat myself a little we can not stay away from hypnosis or states of modified consciousness, it's natural like air or water.
    But indeed we can demonize hypnosis, guided by our fears and belief systems.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to guyres For This Post:

neutronstar (23rd November 2017)

35. Link to Post #18
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

There may be some confusion between "Hypnosis" and "modified state of consciousness."

To me, hypnosis results into the production ofToilet Flushers” which is usually obtained by fixing the subject's attention onto something: voice and/or object and which is different than strengthening and expanding the range of one's conscious awareness.

In the first case the agreement to surrender the control of one's thoughts and actions to someone else is forged and branded; whereas the latter is a conscious effort to increase one's awareness by investigating obscure realms while being in a full waking state.

Where the mistake is made, I think, is to call/label the state attained by either state, "Deep Trance." Because one state is indeed a deep hypnotic trance whereas the latter is rather a "Deep level of conscious awareness" though the "brain wave pattern" appears to look the same.
    Last edited by Hervé; 23rd November 2017 at 12:53.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Mike (23rd November 2017), wnlight (23rd November 2017)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

You are right Hervé in your actual definition. The results of conscious awareness trance versus hypnotic trance are exactly what you describe. From my experience of both states and from my basic training in hypnotism.

However, there is in their application a difference: hypnotism can quite easily be induced in a majority of people without their agreement. Television is one of those inductive tools. A good hypnotist can stand in front of a classroom for example and inducce a trance in the majority of the students for them to learn better for example, None of those student is aware of being in trance, but when you observe them, they will have all the physical caracteristics of trance (low muscle tone, mouth slighlty open, etc).

Now, if we extrapolate, just imagine what can be done with ultra sophisticated techniques the army or secret services have and with their electronic tools.

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    There may be some confusion between "Hypnosis" and "modified state of consciousness."

To me, hypnosis results into the production ofToilet Flushers” which is usually obtained by fixing the subject's attention onto something: voice and/or object and which is different than strengthening and expanding the range of one's conscious awareness.

In the first case the agreement to surrender the control of one's thoughts and actions to someone else is forged and branded; whereas the latter is a conscious effort to increase one's awareness by investigating obscure realms while being in a full waking state.

Where the mistake is made, I think, is to call/label the state attained by either state, "Deep Trance." Because one state is indeed a deep hypnotic trance whereas the latter is rather a "Deep level of conscious awareness" though the "brain wave pattern" appears to look the same.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Hervé (23rd November 2017), Mike (23rd November 2017), wnlight (23rd November 2017)

39. Link to Post #20
    Ecuador Honored, Retired Member. Warren passed on 2 July, 2020.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,540 times in 864 posts

Someone posted in this thread that hypnotism and meditation are the same. Let me tell you why I disagree with this. A hypnotist will generally control the subjects focus of attention. The attention is usually narrowed to the hypnotist or to an object or to another person that the hypnotist chooses. The subject becomes totally unaware of his/her surroundings. The hypnotist may replace the actual surroundings with another fictional environment of choice. The hypnotist may remove or add the sensations of real pain in the human body. This has been my experience as a hypnotist.

Meditation is quite different in this respect. When meditating, I am aware of all of my surroundings. This is how meditation is taught. I will add that my awareness of my environment is actually enhanced while in a meditative state. I can normally go in and out of a meditative state, at my will, as necessary, even to respond to others. Let me add that 'guided' meditation is different. When one adds in a leader or a controller who is the guide, then it is is more like hypnosis. I will sometimes use a self-guided script of my own. But I will not ever use a meditation CD. I do not know and cannot trust the person who created that CD.

Now, I have a question: When hypnotizing a subject, what state does the hypnotist enter? I suspect that to succeed, the hypnotist must enter a kind of reflective state of enhanced concentration. Perhaps a state of communication is established at some higher, non-verbal level that is not noticed by either party at the time. Perhaps this state is only noticed as a rapport. Perhaps some beneficial, or worse, some evil intentions can be communicated over this channel.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnlight For This Post:

Hervé (23rd November 2017), Jean-Marie (23rd November 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast