+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: 12 Nuclear Plants in Path of Hurricane Florence

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,827 times in 1,436 posts

Default 12 Nuclear Plants in Path of Hurricane Florence

I'm sure many of you are watching the path of Florence as closely as I am....my research partner and twin soul lives dead smack in the direct path of impact. Only an hour or so outside of the North Carolina coastline, he has few options to flee for safety. His family owns a cabin 5hrs away further north in the woods where it's higher up, however the news below is sobering and I pray we aren't about to witness a catastrophe of the likes of Fukushima. I've already had trouble sleeping due to worrying about my dear friend and his family....this news makes it even worse.

Please say prayers for the East Coast in hopes of thwarting a disaster like none we've seen. Godspeed to you all....

Fukushima in America? Twelve nuclear power plants are in the path of Hurricane Florence… flooding, storm surge threaten cooling operations

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 by: Mike Adams

"(Natural News) At least twelve operating nuclear reactors are in the predicted path of Hurricane Florence, which has been upgraded to a category 4 storm as it surges toward the U.S. East Coast. According to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, which offers an interactive map of active nuclear reactors, two plants are vulnerable to both heavy rainfall and the expected storm surge which could bring a surge of up to 20 feet of ocean water pouring into coastal areas.

Those two reactors, located NE of Myrtle Beach, North Carolina, are known as “Brunswick Steam Electric Plant, Unit 1” and “Brunswick Steam Electric Plant, Unit 1.”

Each unit produces nearly 1,000 MWe of electricity, and they are both built on the General Electric “Type 4” power plant design, which is almost identical to the GE nuclear power plant design used in the Fukushima-Daiichi reactors in Japan. All of these reactors are designed and constructed as “boiling-water reactors” or BWRs. The designs are decades old, and they are subject to catastrophic failures and even core meltdowns that release radioactive isotopes directly into the atmosphere and surrounding areas."

Source: https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-09-...-florence.html
    Last edited by we-R-one; 12th September 2018 at 04:57.

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

Default Re: 12 Nuclear Plants in Path of Hurricane Florence

I’ll add Foxie Loxie’s post here.
    Quote Posted by Foxie Loxie (here)
    That's the whole point, isn't it? We're not going to hear about that on the Weather Channel!! I'll be very surprised if they even mention it!

Talk about Weather Warfare!!

Five nuclear power plants right in the path of the incoming storm.

Nobody is talking about these in the PATH of CAT 4 Hurricane Florence (7 minutes)

MrMBB333
    Published on Sep 11, 2018

3. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (13th September 2018), Bill Ryan (12th September 2018), Bruno (12th September 2018), ceetee9 (13th September 2018), Deux Corbeaux (13th September 2018), Flash (12th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), genevieve (12th September 2018), Ivanhoe (12th September 2018), Jean-Marie (12th September 2018), jjjones (12th September 2018), justntime2learn (12th September 2018), Kimberley (12th September 2018), Magnus (12th September 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th September 2018), Noelle (12th September 2018), Ol' Roy (15th September 2018), Sadieblue (13th September 2018), Star Tsar (12th September 2018), Sunny (13th September 2018), Sunny-side-up (12th September 2018), thepainterdoug (12th September 2018), ThePythonicCow (12th September 2018), toppy (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018), wnlight (12th September 2018)

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Thanks, we-R-one.....TWELVE!.....OMG!!

Glad your friend has some higher ground to go to! Keep us informed.

"Timing is everything!"

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bruno (12th September 2018), genevieve (12th September 2018), Jean-Marie (12th September 2018), jjjones (12th September 2018), justntime2learn (12th September 2018), RunningDeer (12th September 2018), Sunny-side-up (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,882 times in 2,121 posts

Praying for all.

My cousin retired 2 months ago and has been on the road with his wife visiting family throughout the United States. They are visiting his brother in Virginia Beach right now.

I have two cousins in Hawaii .

I am praying for everyone and their families.

Blessings we-R-one.

Indeed We are!
    Last edited by justntime2learn; 12th September 2018 at 15:41.
    “To develop a complete mind: Study the art of science; study the science of art. Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else” – Leonardo Da Vinci

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), Jean-Marie (12th September 2018), jjjones (12th September 2018), RunningDeer (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

I could kick myself for not keeping closer track of where I was surfing online late last night. I was just getting ready for bed when the Mike Adams article hit my inbox....somewhere along the way, I could swear one of the articles I read spoke about a recent 'training' that took place on the East coast (maybe Virginia) to handle a similar scenario as the Florence hurricane. I couldn't help but wonder if this storm had been 'manufactured' hence the organized training, a pattern we've seen often shortly before the crisis occurs. I wanted to go back and take a closer look in the morning, but I cannot find the article....I may have seen it on Foxnews.com, or weather.com ...so if you happen to find it, take a look and see if it's worth posting.

If you live anywhere on the East Coast I would be taking note of the winds to understand the direction of potential fallout. Eastern Canadians may be at risk too. If you can afford it, I'd be stocking up on some iodine as it will be quickly depleted off the store shelves should this meltdown actually take place. God only knows how long it will take 'officials' to share when a breach has occurred.

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by we-R-one (here)
    I could kick myself for not keeping closer track of where I was surfing online late last night. I was just getting ready for bed when the Mike Adams article hit my inbox....somewhere along the way, I could swear one of the articles I read spoke about a recent 'training' that took place on the East coast (maybe Virginia) to handle a similar scenario as the Florence hurricane. I couldn't help but wonder if this storm had been 'manufactured' hence the organized training, a pattern we've seen often shortly before the crisis occurs. I wanted to go back and take a closer look in the morning, but I cannot find the article....I may have seen it on Foxnews.com, or weather.com ...so if you happen to find it, take a look and see if it's worth posting.

If you live anywhere on the East Coast I would be taking note of the winds to understand the direction of potential fallout. Eastern Canadians may be at risk too. If you can afford it, I'd be stocking up on some iodine as it will be quickly depleted off the store shelves should this meltdown actually take place. God only knows how long it will take 'officials' to share when a breach has occurred.
    I wanted to ask this question, but was empathetic towards your feelings.

I noticed you brought it up, so I was curious if I'm not the only one alarmed by the water surface temperature at 80 to 90 degrees ? Is that normal for this time of year?

Wouldn't a hurricane spread the radioactive isotope in a faster more widespread area?

I'm trying to think of simple things to help everyone that could be affected.

Would taking iodine daily be a good start ? What helpful tips could we offer as Avalonian's ?

So sorry we-R-one. I responded before reading your last paragraph. Looks like we were thinking the same things.
    Last edited by justntime2learn; 12th September 2018 at 16:40. Reason: Sorry we-R-one
    “To develop a complete mind: Study the art of science; study the science of art. Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else” – Leonardo Da Vinci

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), Jean-Marie (12th September 2018), RunningDeer (12th September 2018), Sunny (13th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018)

11. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by justntime2learn (here)
    I wanted to ask this question, but was empathetic towards your feelings.

I noticed you brought it up, so I was curious if I'm not the only one alarmed by the water surface temperature at 80 to 90 degrees ? Is that normal for this time of year?

Wouldn't a hurricane spread the radioactive isotope in a faster more widespread area?

I'm trying to think of simple things to help everyone that could be affected.

Would taking iodine daily be a good start ? What helpful tips could we offer as Avalonian's ?
    If you take a look at the article I first posted, towards the end Mike talks more about fallout and where you can buy iodine. However if you live in areas that are directly affected it's too late to buy it online for obvious reasons. You can still buy over the counter at health food stores however, it's my understanding your body only absorbs 20% of the pill form. I would think it's best to start now in order to flood your system to a level needed in order to fight off radiation absorption. Depending on where you're fleeing to, I'd be scouting out all the locations of health food stores in your location. If you even have the time, take a look at their supply level of iodine. If you are tight on funds and have to make a last minute purchase when you feel it's more likely the reactors will fail, at least you know where to go, but it's a gamble. If they are forced to close their doors due to flooding you will not be able to buy. Waiting is also risky, as other savvy individuals may beat you to the punch. In the article I provided, Mike said, worst case scenario, eat as much seaweed as you can. However, at that point anything you pull off the coast will likely have already been contaminated so that can't be a resource...I dunno, an Asian food market might have something...Ughhh seaweed...not my favorite.... I'm no expert, so do question my findings and maybe research a bit on your own to confirm what I remember as being accurate advice.
    Last edited by we-R-one; 12th September 2018 at 16:46.

12. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 times in 521 posts

Hurricane Florence: Storm generating 83-foot waves

As of 11 a.m., Florence, a potentially catastrophic Category 4 storm, was centered 485 miles (785 kilometers) southeast of Wilmington, North Carolina, moving at 15 mph (24 kph). It was packing winds of 130 mph (215 kph) and enough moisture to dump feet of rain on the region.

A hurricane-hunter airplane measured 83-foot waves near the eye of Florence, according to a tweet from the National Hurricane Center.

"This is not going to be a glancing blow," warned Jeff Byard, an administrator with the Federal Emergency Management Agency. "This is going to be a Mike Tyson punch to the Carolina coast."

Florence is the most dangerous of three tropical systems in the Atlantic. Tropical Storm Isaac was expected to pass south of Puerto Rico, Haiti, the Dominican Republic and Cuba, while Hurricane Helene was moving northward away from land. Forecasters also were tracking two other disturbances.

Storm surge could top 9 feet in North Carolina

The coastal surge from Florence could leave the eastern tip of North Carolina under more than 9 feet (2.75 meters) of water in spots, projections showed. The Navy, Air Force and Army were moving ships and aircraft out of harm's way. Thousands of Marines and their families evacuated from Camp Lejeune, leaving the rest to dig in ahead of what could be a direct hit.

Florence's projected path includes half a dozen nuclear power plants, pits holding coal-ash and other industrial waste, and numerous hog farms that store animal waste in huge lagoons.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...es/1278821002/

[B]
    HOG Farms in NC !!/B]

Last edited by ichingcarpenter; 12th September 2018 at 18:16.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

avid (13th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), Jean-Marie (13th September 2018), justntime2learn (12th September 2018), norman (12th September 2018), RunningDeer (12th September 2018), Sunny-side-up (13th September 2018), Valerie Villars (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018)

14. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,801 times in 8,390 posts

This link will keep people up to date on the size and changes in position of the hurricane.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren...6.37,33.42,792

It looks at least as big as the big one that came in to Florida last year.

It looks, to me, that it's made a slight left turn and will hit land further south than was predicted yesterday.

Now it's learched to the right ( a lot ) in the last 2 or 3 hours. So back on track or even more northerly.
    Last edited by norman; 12th September 2018 at 23:21.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

avid (13th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), Jean-Marie (13th September 2018), justntime2learn (12th September 2018), RunningDeer (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018)

16. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

for all it's worth - my neighbor is a property adjuster dealing with corporations' large property holdings. I had read adams articles and asked him about this and he said these plants can withstand hurricanes. They cannot withstand tsunamis or earthquakes. But then, he tends to be an upbeat optimistic person in general...

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), Jean-Marie (13th September 2018), justntime2learn (12th September 2018), pyrangello (12th September 2018), RunningDeer (12th September 2018), Valerie Villars (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018)

18. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    This link will keep people up to date on the size and changes in position of the hurricane

Tutorial - How to use the earth.nullschool.net world wind map (3:47)

Tutorial - How to use the Earth Wind Map (6:26 minutes)

Last edited by RunningDeer; 12th September 2018 at 18:01.

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (13th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), genevieve (12th September 2018), Jean-Marie (13th September 2018), justntime2learn (12th September 2018), Michi (12th September 2018), pyrangello (12th September 2018), Sadieblue (13th September 2018), Valerie Villars (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018)

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Helene West (here)
    for all it's worth - my neighbor is a property adjuster dealing with corporations' large property holdings. I had read adams articles and asked him about this and he said these plants can withstand hurricanes. They cannot withstand tsunamis or earthquakes. But then, he tends to be an upbeat optimistic person in general...
    My understanding per Mike Adams article, it's the flooding/storm surge which causes problems not the hurricane itself.

"Boiling Water Reactor plants must sit at low elevation near rivers or lakes in order to have access to cooling water

BWR nuclear power plants rely on cooling designs that use large bodies of local water (rivers or lakes) to transfer heat from the nuclear power plant to the atmosphere. This heat transfer is necessary to prevent nuclear fuel rods from overheating and melting down in a runaway nuclear reaction. Importantly, this cooling operation relies on electricity to run the cooling pumps that circulate the water.

For this reason, U.S. nuclear power plants are equipped with multiple redundant cooling systems and backup generators that can run the pumps even if the local power grid is cut off. At the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power facility, both backup diesel generators and battery power systems were present.

You might wonder, then, how the electricity failed on all accounts, causing the cooling pumps to stop operating, ultimately leading to “criticality” of the fuel rods — i.e. a meltdown. (For the record, the entire U.S. media lied about the Fukushima meltdown, claiming no meltdown had occurred. Only now, years later, does the media admit a nuclear meltdown took place. But in their original reporting, they universally claimed there was no meltdown. Just another example of how the media relentlessly lies about everything, not just politics.)

The answer is found in the storm surge — a massive wave of ocean water that swept through the Fukushima facility, drowning the diesel generators, coolant pumps and backup batteries. In effect, Fukushima was inundated with ocean water, and everything stopped functioning. But the physics of the fuel rods was still operating, and you can’t stop fission reactions just by hoping and wishing. So the fuel rods melted down and a nuclear meltdown took place, producing the Fukushima catastrophe we’re all still suffering under today.

As the Nuclear Regulatory Commission explains on this page:

The reactor’s core contains fuel assemblies that are cooled by water circulated using electrically powered pumps. These pumps and other operating systems in the plant receive their power from the electrical grid. If offsite power is lost, emergency cooling water is supplied by other pumps, which can be powered by onsite diesel generators. Other safety systems, such as the containment cooling system, also need electric power. BWRs contain between 370-800 fuel assemblies.

What the NRC doesn’t explain, however, is what happens when all the electrical power and backup generators fail."

And:

"A 20′ ocean surge would, without question, threaten the Brunswick nuclear power plant. To what extent, we can’t say. Presumably, highly qualified technicians are preparing the power plant for the coming hurricane. Then again, Fukushima was also run by highly qualified technicians and really smart nuclear engineers who claimed a meltdown could never possibly take place. Take all official assurances with a healthy dose of skepticism (and perhaps a dosimeter as well)."

21. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Thanks for all the info, Dear!!

Why did the last statement make me think of The Titanic?!

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Jean-Marie (13th September 2018), justntime2learn (12th September 2018), RunningDeer (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018)

23. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

MrMBB333’s speculation: a double landfall hurricane.
    NEW - "100 year Hurricane" - Florence to take a "freak" path along the East Coast (10:10 minutes)

click for larger version
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 12th September 2018 at 18:41.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Deux Corbeaux (13th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (13th September 2018), justntime2learn (12th September 2018), Valerie Villars (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018)

25. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

TargeT....Are you feeling "left out"?! I'm sure it brings back memories!

Running Dear.....Where's your fan?!

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

justntime2learn (12th September 2018), RunningDeer (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018)

27. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Thank you we-R-one for for the additional info. I can see the design flaw clearly now .

I wasn't sure were to put this two minute (Suspicious0bservers) video. A banner containing "Terror Threat" "Sensitive Information Inside" is shown at the bottom with the hurricane at the end.

Mods please move if another thread is more appropriate .

Blessings to All, J
    Last edited by justntime2learn; 12th September 2018 at 19:06. Reason: Added Suspicious0bservers

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), RunningDeer (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018)

29. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Foxie Loxie (here)
    Running Dear.....Where's your fan?!
    By the looks of things, we’ll need a few.

plus one for fun

Last edited by RunningDeer; 12th September 2018 at 19:16.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (12th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), Hazelfern (13th September 2018), justntime2learn (12th September 2018), Valerie Villars (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018), wnlight (12th September 2018)

31. Link to Post #18
    Ecuador Honored, Retired Member. Warren passed on 2 July, 2020.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,540 times in 864 posts

Well, I am sitting in a small town in south-central North Carolina which is pretty much in the projected path of Florence. I am here because of family matters, and would much rather be at home in the mountains of Ecuador. I have been troubled by hurricanes before, while living in Houston, Florida and Hawaii. My son is with me here. He lived through Harvey last year in Houston. We will report what we see here. Right now it is calm and partly sunny in Salisbury (a little east of Charlotte). The hotel we are staying in is fully booked. I DO enjoy the BBQ food here! There might be forty BBQ restaurants in this small town. We had planned to visit Mateo and Nags Head in about a week. But they were ordered evacuated yesterday, We will see if that visit is still possible next week.

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wnlight For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), justntime2learn (12th September 2018), RunningDeer (12th September 2018), Sunny (13th September 2018), tessie999 (13th September 2018), Valerie Villars (12th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018)

33. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member Arcturian108's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,400 times in 937 posts

I live in the mountains of western North Carolina and am preparing for high winds and flooding. But here is an article I found in the biggest newspaper in the state:
    https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...218217985.html

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Arcturian108 For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018), justntime2learn (12th September 2018), mountain_jim (13th September 2018), RunningDeer (12th September 2018), Sadieblue (13th September 2018), Sunny (13th September 2018), we-R-one (12th September 2018), wnlight (13th September 2018)

35. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

The article Arcturian provided offers a little bit of security, as long as the storm surge isn't over 22ft, thanks Arcturian:
    "Brunswick is built at an elevation of 20 feet above sea level and designed to withstand a storm surge of 22 feet, which would leave the plant’s emergency generators high and dry. Brunswick, which is four miles inland, can withstand maximum sustained winds over 200 miles per hour of a Category 5 hurricane, Williams said."

Hey you don't happen to live near Celo community do you? If you do, please keep us posted on your conditions as my friend's cabin is not too far from there and I can pass the information on to him. I would be grateful!

EDIT TO ADD:
    Quote Posted by wnlight (here)
    There might be forty BBQ restaurants in this small town.
    Great place to enjoy your 'Last Supper', lol....just kidding
    Last edited by we-R-one; 12th September 2018 at 19:47.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast