+ Reply to Thread
Page 1430 of 1819 FirstFirst 1 430 930 1330 1380 1420 1430 1440 1480 1530 1819 LastLast
Results 28,581 to 28,600 of 36380

Thread: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

1. Link to Post #28581
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

Default Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

American Museum Of Natural History

Explore The Arthur Ross Hall Of Meteorites

Published 9th November 2019

As the Earth rotates around the Sun, rock fragments enter our atmosphere and fall to the surface where we can collect them as meteorites. What can we learn from these space rocks? They hold data about the formation of the solar system and planets. Curator in the Division of Physical Sciences Denton Ebel takes us on a tour of the Arthur Ross Hall of Meteorites at the American Museum of Natural History where we can explore the origins of the solar system and planets, learn about sample-return missions, and delve into hazards posed by meteorite impacts.

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Valerie Villars (12th November 2019), william r sanford72 (13th November 2019)

3. Link to Post #28582
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

ArsTechnica.com

Space-Grade CPUs: How Do You Send More Computing Power Into Space?

Published 11th November 2019

Phobos-Grunt, perhaps the most ambitious deep space mission ever attempted by Russia, crashed down into the ocean at the beginning of 2012. The spacecraft was supposed to land on the battered Martian moon Phobos, gather soil samples, and get them back to Earth. Instead, it ended up helplessly drifting in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) for a few weeks because its onboard computer crashed just before it could fire the engines to send the spacecraft on its way to Mars.

In the ensuing report, Russian authorities blamed heavy charged particles in galactic cosmic rays that hit the SRAM chips and led to a latch-up, a chip failure resulting from excessive current passing through. To deal with this latch-up, two processors working in the Phobos-Grunt’s TsVM22 computer initiated a reboot. After rebooting, the probe then went into a safe mode and awaited instructions from ground control. Unfortunately, those instructions never arrived.

Read all about it here: https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...r-into-space/#
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (13th November 2019)

5. Link to Post #28583
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

University @ Buffalo

Stingray-Inspired Spacecraft Aims To Explore Dark Side Of Venus

Venus is Earth’s neighbor, yet scientists’ understanding of the planet is relatively limited, especially on the so-called “dark side.”

That knowledge gap may eventually be filled because University at Buffalo researchers are designing a unique spacecraft for NASA that might explore the planet like no previous probe.

The Bio-inspired Ray for Extreme Environments and Zonal Explorations (BREEZE) project is one of 12 revolutionary concepts selected by NASA for its Innovative Advanced Concepts (NIAC) program, which funds early-stage technologies that could change what’s possible in space. (Six other projects chosen in previous years received additional funding.)

Proposed by the university’s Crashworthiness for Aerospace Structures and Hybrids (CRASH) Laboratory, researchers envision a morphing spacecraft with wings that flap like a stingray’s pectoral fins. The design could make efficient use of high winds in the planet’s upper atmosphere while providing scientists unparalleled control of the vehicle.

Read all about it here: http://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2019/11/009.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

7. Link to Post #28584
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Back To Space

Space News Flash

Elon musk is dominating the news this week, Voyager 2 gave its first findings, Cybertrucks are about to be a thing…and much more!!!

0:00 - Giveaway
    0:51 - Elon Musk “cheap” reusable rockets
    02:20 - Voyager 2 gave its first findings after 40 years!
    03:58 - Boeing is acceptable
    04:44 - Voting in Space!
    05:03 - Bipartisan exists!!!!
    06:01 - Carl Sagan Day
    06:20 - NASA Launched Saturn V
    07:27 - Elon to unveil CYBERTRUCK
    08:32 - India to Venus!
    09:05 - COMBINE TARDIGRADE DNA TO GO TO MARS?
    10:21 - Give Away!
    10:35 - Inspiring Figures
    10:55 - Universe Today Collaboration!
    11:04 -Student Researcher

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (12th November 2019), william r sanford72 (13th November 2019)

9. Link to Post #28585
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Fraser Cain

Dustin Gibson | Oceanside Photo & Telescope | Live Q&A

Streamed & Published 11th November 2019

Today's guest is Dustin Gibson from Oceanside Photo and Telescope (OPT). Dustin will talk about his journey to becoming an astrophotographer and eventually running one of the most successful telescope retailers in the world.

Follow Dustin on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/gibsonpics/

Or visit Oceanside Photo and Telescope
    https://optcorp.com/
    Category

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

11. Link to Post #28586
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Lunar Princess

January 10 2020 | Full Moon

January 10, 2020, brings a Full Moon in Cancer. During a Full Moon, the Moon is 100% illuminated, as seen from Earth, and is on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun. On January 10th, this Full Moon will be visible throughout the night sky, rising at sunset in the east and setting with the sunrise the next morning.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (12th November 2019), Valerie Villars (12th November 2019), william r sanford72 (13th November 2019)

13. Link to Post #28587
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

PBS Space Time

Does Life Need A Multiverse To Exist?

Life exists in our universe. There we go - one hopefully uncontroversial statement. Therefore our universe is capable of producing and supporting life. How am I going? Two for two? Let’s try for three: therefore there are countless universes. Hmmm. Did I break my streak?

Our universe seems to operate according to a set of fundamental rules that we try to understand and model with the equations of our laws of physics. Those equations always include one or more fundamental constants - simple numbers that set the scale for the equation. We can’t determine the values of these constants from pure theory - we have to measure them in the real universe. These are things like the speed of light, the Planck constant, the masses of the elementary particles, and the constants defining the relative strengths of the fundamental forces - the so-called coupling constants.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

15. Link to Post #28588
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Anton Petrov

Planet Kojima-1 Confirmed

Published 12th November 2019

Anton talks about a discovery of an unusual planet known as Kojima-1lb.

Scientific paper: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...81/ab487f/meta

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

17. Link to Post #28589
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 12th November 2019 | Evidence On Magnetic/Micronova Catastrophe

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (12th November 2019), william r sanford72 (13th November 2019)

19. Link to Post #28590
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

APOD Podcast

NGC 3717: A Nearly Sideways Spiral Galaxy

In today's image, we see a spiral galaxy as viewed from the side. Spiral galaxies are thin disk galaxies and will appear very flat when we see them from this perspective.

20. Link to Post #28591
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Dr James O'Donoghue

Ultraviolet Planetary Auroras

These ultraviolet (UV) polar auroral "ovals" are made with real data. Earth was undergoing a geomagnetic STORM, and all data for it are real except for the grid! For Jupiter/Saturn NASA Hubble UV images were put on visible spheres for reference

21. Link to Post #28592
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Anton Petrov

The Main Reason Why Massive Planets Orbit Close To Stars

Published 13th November 2019

Anton talks about about an explanation to why there are so many massive planets with eccentric orbits.

Ian Webster simulation: http://www.asterank.com/exoplanets

Scientific paper: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...41-8213/ab4a7b

22. Link to Post #28593
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Nemesis Maturity

Strange Oxygen Fluctuations On Mars Detected By Curiosity Mars Rover

With Mars Methane Mystery Unsolved, Curiosity Serves Scientists a New One: Oxygen

For the first time in the history of space exploration, scientists have measured the seasonal changes in the gases that fill the air directly above the surface of Gale Crater on Mars. As a result, they noticed something baffling: oxygen, the gas many Earth creatures use to breathe, behaves in a way that so far scientists cannot explain through any known chemical processes.

Read all about it here: https://www.space.com/mars-oxygen-my...ity-rover.html

23. Link to Post #28594
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Question Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

Seeker

How Close Are We To Terraforming Mars?

There have been some wild proposals about how to make Mars more suitable for humans—but how close are we to actually terraforming the Red Planet?

A term originally coined in science fiction, terraforming, in basic terms, is changing the atmosphere and climate of a planet so it can support human life without the need for equipment like spacesuits.

In order to survive on Mars, we would need to be able to do a few basic things: breathe, stay conscious, not freeze to death, and over time grow food.

Right now, if humans were to step outside while on Mars, we’d pass out instantly and die pretty soon after as a result of the low pressure pulling oxygen out of solution in our blood.

Doesn’t sound too habitable, huh?

But if we could find a way to thicken the atmosphere by adding mass to it, the result might be kickstarting a greenhouse effect that would stabilize the temperature, staving off some radiation, too.

To achieve this level of climate alteration, we would need to build hundreds of factories on Mars’ surface…and that is no small task.

But with interest in space exploration and tourism on the rise, we might get the tools and tech we need sooner than we’d imagined.

Find out more about what we would need to do to make Mars habitable for humans and how close we are to terraforming the planet on this episode of How Close Are We?

Read More:
    MAVEN Mission
    https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/m...ain/index.html

EscaPADE Mission
    https://www.dailycal.org/2019/07/15/...orbit-by-2022/

Aerogel Mars
    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com.../aerogel-mars/
    As an alternative, what Wordsworth et al. suggest is a kind of localized 'farming' approach. Silica aerogel is extremely low density and porous, but it can also produce a solid-state greenhouse effect because it's fairly opaque to infrared radiation (and doesn't conduct heat well) but is partially transparent to visible and shorter wavelength light.

Climate explained: why Mars is cold despite an atmosphere of mostly carbon dioxide
    https://phys.org/news/2019-11-climat...re-carbon.html
    The absence of water makes the temperature on Mars change a lot. The Mars exploration rovers (Spirit at Gusev Crater and Opportunity at Meridiani Planun) experienced temperatures ranging from a few degrees Celsius above zero to minus 80℃ at night: every single Martian day, known as sol.

Last edited by Star Tsar; 14th November 2019 at 07:47.

24. Link to Post #28595
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 13th November 2019 | Star Escape, Climate Errors, Mars Life Now?

25. Link to Post #28596
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

High Altitude Observatory

Dana Lacatus | Spectroscopic Investigation Of The Solar Atmosphere

Recorded & Published 13th November 2019

The solar chromosphere plays a critical role in most of the open questions of solar physics, from coronal heating to the acceleration of the solar wind. It spans only 2000 km, but nine pressure scale heights, while the temperature increases by some two orders of magnitude. This layer is the location of most of the solar radiative losses, with the emission dominated by singly ionized ions. Despite its modest dimensions, the plasma properties make interpretation challenging, because most lines originating here are optically thick and formed in non-LTE.

We present an exploration of the chromospheric emission, from quiet to flaring solar conditions, using spectroscopic data from the IRIS instrument. The main focus of this study is the variability of the Mg II resonance lines, investigating how their profiles change based on the emitting solar structure. The extraction of the different spectral features from the observed emission profile is detailed and general trends are discussed.

Using quiet sun datasets we investigate potential characteristics that provide better contrast for distinguishing Coronal Holes from quiet sun in chromospheric emission. Thus we explore if any profile feature is more sensitive to the slightly different magnetic morphology, given that coronal holes are dominated by open field lines contributing to the solar wind acceleration.

We also explore the enhanced emission and wide variation of profiles in more active conditions leading up, during, and after a strong solar flare. For a complete picture of the flaring event, we also include information covering the surrounding solar atmosphere, using data from IRIS, SDO, and RHESSI. The slow rise and eventual destabilization of a filament is found to be preceding the flare. In the descending phase of the flare, we identified an extended coronal rain episode that persisted for more than an hour and was characterized by peculiarly wide profiles in both chromospheric and TR emission lines.

Learn more about HAO and NCAR:
    https://www2.hao.ucar.edu/

Last edited by Star Tsar; 14th November 2019 at 07:58.

26. Link to Post #28597
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Nippon TV News 24 Japan

Hayabusa 2 Departs Asteroid Ryugu, Heads Back To Earth

Hayabusa 2 departs from asteroid Ryugu and begins the year-long journey back to Earth.

27. Link to Post #28598
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Asteroid Station

Asteroid (2006 WH1)

This large asteroid is set for close approach right before Christmas. December 20th 2019

&

Asteroid (2019 UR2)

This 700 foot object is set for close approach on November 18th 2019

28. Link to Post #28599
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Space.com

Behold 'Arrokoth' - NASA's New Horizons Target Has Been Officially Named

2014 MU69 (nicknamed 'Ultima Thule') has been officially named "Arrokoth."

Read all about it here: https://www.space.com/ultima-thule-b...-arrokoth.html

29. Link to Post #28600
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

European Space Agency

Rosetta's Ongoing Science

On 12 November 2014 Philae became the first spacecraft to land on a comet as part of the successful Rosetta mission to study comet 67P. Five years later, and after the mission’s official end in 2016, Rosetta is continuing to provide insights into the origins of our Solar System.

Rosetta’s instruments have already discovered that the comet contained oxygen, organic molecules, noble gases and ’heavy’ or deuterated water different to that found on Earth.
    As scientists continue to analyse data from Rosetta’s instruments, including the ionised gas or plasma, the results are improving our understanding of comets. Mission data is also being delivered to an archive as a future resource.

Rosetta orbits the Sun every 6.5 years and will pass the Earth again, visible from ground-based telescopes, in 2021. ESA’s future Comet Interceptor mission will build on Rosetta’s success when it performs a flyby of a comet. But, unlike Rosetta, the comet will be new to our Solar System.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (14th November 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1430 of 1819 FirstFirst 1 430 930 1330 1380 1420 1430 1440 1480 1530 1819 LastLast