+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Is USA a better place to live in?

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Is USA a better place to live in?

İ really want to know your opinion
    I'm currently living peacefully in Iran.İt's been 13 years that my family has applied for usa.now they have responded and granted us visa and greed card but the question remains...is usa really a better place with better economical opportunities and freedom or this is all just lies and İran has better quality of life and environment? What do you think if İ reject my visa? Am İ doomed with this visa or saved?:S
    Thank you all

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to carnavas For This Post:

Agape (11th July 2013), Eram (10th July 2013), Fred Steeves (10th July 2013), ghostrider (11th July 2013), Limor Wolf (14th July 2013), Mike (10th July 2013), Prodigal Son (10th July 2013), RMorgan (10th July 2013), RUSirius (11th July 2013), seko (10th July 2013), sigma6 (16th July 2013), Snookie (10th July 2013), T Smith (14th July 2013), william r sanford72 (10th July 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

Default Re: Is USA a better place to live in?

Boy, you have certainly asked the $100,000,000,000,000 question!

I have lived abroad for 27 years now, and with an aging mother in the States who wants and needs me to come back...I , too, am asking myself this question. It certainly is not the same place I left so long ago...

As to answer you, I really don't know.

You will want to weigh many things on the balance, I'm sure...like... (my first thought) if Iran gets attacked in the future, will you want to be here or there? If it's the USA doing the attacking, do you want to be in the USA at that time? What special skills do you and your family members possess to make you stand out among the others to , if not garantee, at least advance your possibilities of getting a good job? Do you have relatives already there? Do you have other contacts that could give you a heave-ho up the ladder of success?

Hopefully others will post up some other advice and thoughts... sincere good luck to you!
    Last edited by MorningSong; 10th July 2013 at 12:43.
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

carnavas (10th July 2013), donk (10th July 2013), Holly Lindin (10th July 2013), Mike (10th July 2013), pine boy (10th July 2013), RMorgan (10th July 2013), seko (10th July 2013), Snookie (10th July 2013), william r sanford72 (10th July 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

I suggest you stay home as this is where you belong.I really don't understand the need to migrate all over.
    If you want to live in a giant strip center then buy all means,come on over.
    City life here has rewards I guess.We pretty much have the right to do anything we want to do within the laws of our country.Just understand,we have prison for profit and more of them than anywhere in the world.If you come here ,you best be able to come as a congressman of life can be quite hard.I kinda doubt that the farmland and plains have alot to offer.
    My points are extreme and if we meet,you will be met with a smile and a handshake and we will part with blessings but when you get to your dwelling,you might find your small apartment wanting and your wallet empty.
    Minimum wage is around $8.00 .40 Hours is the typical work week.Apartments near me are $700.00 a month and you still have all the bills .Water,food,electricity ect.
    Freerange craftsmen can get $20-30.00 hourly so concider your skills and research the market.
    Good luck with your dicision and I like your pun with the "greed" card.Cool typo.
    All the best to ya

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pine boy For This Post:

airaspect (11th July 2013), carnavas (10th July 2013), donk (10th July 2013), Holly Lindin (10th July 2013), PurpleLama (10th July 2013), RMorgan (10th July 2013), seko (10th July 2013), william r sanford72 (10th July 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Prodigal Son's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,590 times in 675 posts

I've lived in the US my entire life and if I had the opportunity to leave right now I would. At least until this criminal cabal is either removed from power or they take over the whole planet... and if that happens I'll be looking to get beamed up.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Prodigal Son For This Post:

carnavas (10th July 2013), Dennis Leahy (11th July 2013), donk (10th July 2013), GCS1103 (11th July 2013), MorningSong (10th July 2013), pine boy (10th July 2013), RMorgan (10th July 2013), Snookie (10th July 2013), T Smith (14th July 2013), william r sanford72 (10th July 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

Trust your instincts carnavas. If you're in tune with them you will never make a wrong decision, even though it may sometimes seem like you have at first.

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,349 times in 2,716 posts

Only someone that lived in Iran under similar conditions to you could really tell you if it's "better". The one thing I can say is truly without a doubt factually better is that in America, you are not subject to our foreign policy. Is our domestic policy "better"? Nationalist Americans will tell you "of course, we're number one! USA! USA!"...obviously like a lot of us, you may not be so sure...

The thing about America though, is that it's friggin' big. I told my kids' great grandfather (heavily decorated CIA) who was a recovering conservative and liked to talk to me when I was into liberal politics, that it should be broken down into soverign states--that "democracy"--as practiced here--can't work on such a grand scale (that it turns into dishonest empire), he really thought it was a good idea with some truth. I dunno...I stopped paying attention so much to all that dumb crap.

But my point is its huge. If you have adequate resources (heh, aka money, or as amerikuns like to call it: "freedom"), the opportunity is definitely worth any possible negatives you are weighing. But if you're going be getting by or struggling, I'd make sure you found advice from someone more similar to your situation...

¤=[Post Update]=¤

On yeah and what Fred said...trust your instincts. Though they become more trustworthy reinforced with the most possible information you can get

11. Link to Post #7
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,123 times in 3,535 posts

Quote Posted by carnavas (here)
    I'm currently living peacefully in Iran.İt's been 13 years that my family has applied for usa.now they have responded and granted us visa and greed card but the question remains...is usa really a better place with better economical opportunities and freedom or this is all just lies and İran has better quality of life and environment? What do you think if İ reject my visa? Am İ doomed with this visa or saved?:S
    Thank you all
    Hello my friend,

This is a delicate question, specially considering that there´s a big change of the US declaring war against Iran at some point during the next ten years.

In my opinion, the US is not what it used to be thirty, forty, fifty years ago...The economy is not that good anymore, decent jobs and good opportunities are becoming harder to find, specially for a foreigner.

Also, gradually the US is becoming the non-fictional version of George Orwell´s 1984 book. There are cameras everywhere, drones everywhere, almost zero privacy, new laws allowing them to abuse their own citizens...With all due respect for my American friends, the USA is not moving towards a promising direction...Things are going downhill up there for quite some time.

The way I see it, if you have a nice job and enough money to live a simple but comfortable life in Iran, I would stay there...The benefits of living in your own country are countless. I´ve never been to Iran, but I know it´s a beautiful country with beautiful people and a tremendously rich culture.

Besides, you need to ask yourself a serious question - If the US starts a war with Iran, which will probably be excused by illegitimate reasons, how would you feel to be living in a country which is mass murdering your own people? - This might happen or not, but it´s important to consider this possibility.

Personally and very honestly, I wouldn´t leave my country to live in the US even if I was offered a million dollars/year salary.

This is just my opinion, anyway. Measure the pros and cons very carefully and make up your mind.

If you decide to move, do your research and choose a good state and city to live...Some places may be more receptive and friendly to foreigners than others.

Raf.

Ps: I liked the part about the "greed card"... Even knowing that it was probably a typo, maybe you should think about it.
    Last edited by RMorgan; 10th July 2013 at 13:43.

12. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

4evrneo (10th July 2013), carnavas (10th July 2013), Curt (10th July 2013), donk (10th July 2013), DouglasDanger (10th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013), Holly Lindin (10th July 2013), Mike (10th July 2013), MorningSong (10th July 2013), Nickolai (10th July 2013), Peace&Love (11th July 2013), pine boy (10th July 2013), Prodigal Son (10th July 2013), RUSirius (11th July 2013), sigma6 (16th July 2013), T Smith (14th July 2013), william r sanford72 (10th July 2013), Wind (10th July 2013), write4change (11th July 2013)

13. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Another1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 times in 258 posts

There's been a target painted on America's back for years now and most advice I find online is to move out if you can. Major global corps like Walmart and Halliburton have moved their world headquarters out of country. Big money people and retiring politicians are buying ranches in south and central America.

The way these nut cases run homeland security, I would not want to be on a Visa from Iran should a war start.

Personally I think we need people here like the few Iranians I have met that did make the move with success. Their work ethic and understanding of our political system were to be admired. I will fess this is a bias based upon a small sample of people.

If money is not a problem in your reality it is certainly worth coming for a quick visit to test the waters for yourself.

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Another1 For This Post:

carnavas (10th July 2013), donk (10th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013), Holly Lindin (10th July 2013), Mike (10th July 2013), MorningSong (10th July 2013), Peace&Love (11th July 2013), pine boy (10th July 2013), RMorgan (10th July 2013), RUSirius (11th July 2013), Snookie (10th July 2013), T Smith (14th July 2013), william r sanford72 (10th July 2013)

15. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks of everyone
    The greed card was a typing mistake sorry) İ wouldn't dare much to talk like that about some place's permission cause it might offend some one about their country or dunno!sorry anyway
    Something tells me that İ should stay for various reasons
    The problem is that İ'm still educating and am under control of my family so objecting will cost me alot and by refusing İ will lose alot including my family and friends, İ'm wondering if it is worth the refusal or İ should just follow them there cause they don't listen to me
    İ know this is a very personal question but İt would help me to gather as much opinions and informations as İ can
    Thanks alot again

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to carnavas For This Post:

Limor Wolf (14th July 2013), MorningSong (10th July 2013), pine boy (10th July 2013), RMorgan (10th July 2013), RUSirius (11th July 2013), seko (10th July 2013)

17. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 times in 1,031 posts

;t's been 13 years that my family has applied for usa.now they have responded and granted us visa and greed card but the question remains..
    Carnavas,

I think you summed it up with your Freudian slip. Not having ever lived in Iran, I cannot advise you regarding the differences, but I can tell you that the US is a false Republic, propped up by Oligarchy with a false economy. That is the big picture. On a micro level, you will find that this country is populated with primarily warm hearted and decent people. As in the case of all media reports, you only hear of the outliers, not the rule. Each state or region is almost a country in itself. You will find cultural, behavioral, social and economic differences based upon which state or region in which you choose to settle. For example, were you to choose coastal Louisiana, you would find a rich French heritage that permeates the culture. Head over to South Florida, and you will find a rich Latino/Cuban culture mixed with transplants from across the country and globe. Move over to the Carolinas and you will encounter the "old boys" network wherein old money and influence prevail with tones of English/Irish influence and head up to the Midwest and find no nonsense German/Scandinavian types with a no frills outlook and a crazy intense work ethic. LA? Ah, skip it. Its always 72 degrees there, the work ethic is absent as are the morals- it would violate your senses. Keep in mind that you have to get into the "heart" of the region to fully experience the culture. If you travel the major highways, the US looks like a boiler plate edition of the mini mall from hell.

Another big culture shock is that in the US, you are pretty much in a "sink or swim" environment. We have very few social protections and also being a Fascist nation, the corporations dictate your life and lifestyle. If you can assimilate into the corporate culture and play the game without losing your soul? You should do very well. Should you get sick, grow old, have a disability or be unable to meet your financial obligations? You could end up on the street. This is a disposable society and unfortunately, the corporate mindset has evolved to consider "human resources" part of the dispensable commodities.

You will also find that our culture has evolved to be uninformed, crude, crass, immoral, materialistic, etc. etc. It may contradict your values if you are of the Muslim faith.

If your only motivation is financial you might be happy here. If quality of life is your priority? Not so sure.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 14th July 2013 at 17:29. Reason: fixed quote formatting

18. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

4evrneo (10th July 2013), Another1 (10th July 2013), Antagenet (14th August 2013), carnavas (14th July 2013), donk (10th July 2013), Holly Lindin (10th July 2013), Mike (10th July 2013), Nickolai (10th July 2013), pine boy (10th July 2013), Prodigal Son (10th July 2013), RMorgan (10th July 2013), seko (10th July 2013), sigma6 (16th July 2013), Snookie (10th July 2013), T Smith (14th July 2013), Wind (10th July 2013)

19. Link to Post #11
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,123 times in 3,535 posts

Thanks of everyone
    The greed card was a typing mistake sorry) İ wouldn't dare much to talk like that about some place's permission cause it might offend some one about their country or dunno!sorry anyway
    Something tells me that İ should stay for various reasons
    The problem is that İ'm still educating and am under control of my family so objecting will cost me alot and by refusing İ will lose alot including my family and friends, İ'm wondering if it is worth the refusal or İ should just follow them there cause they don't listen to me
    İ know this is a very personal question but İt would help me to gather as much opinions and informations as İ can
    Thanks alot again
    Hey my friend,

Honestly? You´re already 19. If you want to stay; Stay.

You can´t allow other people, even your parents, to make such important and potentially life changing decisions for you.

As Another1 said, in case things really go south, which is a very very real possibility, it wouldn´t be nice to be in the USA with a visa from Iran.

Anyway, why don´t you show this thread to your parents and make them ask their own questions?

Raf.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

carnavas (14th July 2013), donk (10th July 2013), Holly Lindin (10th July 2013), RUSirius (11th July 2013)

21. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member white wizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,057 times in 267 posts

If you are moving into a big city expect life to be very challenging, but
    if you can live outside the cities, then life here can be very nice.

The job market blows, which is why you will need to go to school to get
    a skilled job. I recommend going for your CDL, which will open up
    some job opportunity for you to get a well paying job. All you have to
    do is drive trucks, which is a business that is always hiring.

Do not go to a big city if that is your only option, because they have
    become nasty places to live unless your rich, or have connections.

There are many places to live in this country, which are nicer then
    others, so you need to do some research.

This is a beautiful country do not listen to people who only see the
    doom and gloom in it.
    knowledge is key to wisdom as is in keeping an open mind is essential for opening new doors

you once kept closed .

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to white wizard For This Post:

carnavas (14th July 2013), Mike (10th July 2013), RUSirius (11th July 2013)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

To me it is very simple, I am a Canadian and would not want to live in USA, much better here. No insults to my Americans friends here and in New England, this is just what I think reality is, at least mine.

Why? Less stringent police state, more care for women and children, little bit less money oriented, tiny bit less press censorship (on the French side at least), social systems in place for the poors, yet, good standards of living and very good natural resources, good economy when compared with others G7.

Muslims are not very much liked anywhere in the West anymore anyhow.

And yes, in USA, swim or sink, you are alone.
    Last edited by Flash; 10th July 2013 at 15:33.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

161803398 (11th July 2013), carnavas (14th July 2013), Dennis Leahy (11th July 2013), Holly Lindin (10th July 2013), Mike (10th July 2013), Peace&Love (11th July 2013), RUSirius (11th July 2013), sigma6 (16th July 2013), Snookie (10th July 2013)

25. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,308 times in 5,692 posts

As Donk said, the US is huge. Massive. It could easily be split up into a dozen different countries, or more - New York is as different from Wyoming as Iran is from New York. So when people say the US is this and the US is that, I'm always sort of wondering: which *part* of the US are you talking about?

Even various states could be divided into different countries, as the people and culture in one part can be vastly different to the people and culture in the other part...or parts.

There are a lot of sort of lousy things we can say about the US, but if we look a little closer it's more to do with the government than the people. My travels are modest, but whenever I've left the country, I've always returned with a whole new appreciation for it.
    Last edited by Mike; 10th July 2013 at 22:46.

26. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

carnavas (14th July 2013), Curt (10th July 2013), donk (10th July 2013), Fred Steeves (10th July 2013), Holly Lindin (11th July 2013), MorningSong (10th July 2013), Peace&Love (11th July 2013), RMorgan (10th July 2013), RUSirius (11th July 2013), seko (10th July 2013), sigma6 (16th July 2013), Snookie (10th July 2013), Strat (14th July 2013), thunder24 (11th July 2013), Wind (11th July 2013)

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Maybe my sig line was the most important part of my post: What is the purpose of you “living in the USA”?

I am totally biased…to me, life is experiencing new things. If you have the means to get here….and back home (whenever you wanted), I would see it as an opportunity. If it is some imagined “necessity” that you get here to live, and you have ANY doubts…you should totally reconsider.

Your experience here will depend on the amount freedom you have. Unfortunately, in this joint…$$$ = freedom. Like a lot of bumper stickers 'round here say: freedom isn't free!

28. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Prodigal Son's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,590 times in 675 posts

The US is no longer a safe place for people who want justice, fairness, and a benevolent government. Especially for those who are vocal in any way about it.

I know he is no longer in power, but I admire Ahmedinejad for his honesty in the way he exposed the criminal aspect of the US Govt especially regarding 911. His speeches at the UN were epic and forthright. I always said I would have no problem having him stay in my guest room for as long as he needed to.

As for Dick Cheney? I'd rather have the Devil himself.

29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Prodigal Son For This Post:

carnavas (14th July 2013), donk (10th July 2013), Holly Lindin (11th July 2013), Nickolai (10th July 2013), Peace&Love (11th July 2013), RMorgan (10th July 2013), RUSirius (11th July 2013), sigma6 (16th July 2013), Snookie (10th July 2013)

30. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

C'mon....You can find space where it is "safe"....and it NEVER was for people that were too vocal about it (and actually listened to).

I don't think you want to making decisions based on fear. America is more than you see on the news...our Orwellian version, and outsiders slightly less tainted version.

You would want to definitely be up to speed on Iran/US relations, probably (maybe ask a Japanese American from WW2), but the 1984-style clamp down is a global civilization thing. US is probably ground zero, but if it proceeds in this direction, it will be the same (or worse) everywhere else....we're all in this together...

31. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,308 times in 5,692 posts

$ = freedom. Well put Donk.

Like everyone else I've always wanted to be rich...but not for the material goods. I want the money for the time it would buy me, and the freedom to do what I want whenever I please.
    How is one "free" if they must rise every morning at 8am and go to a job that won't allow them to return home till 5? A job that they likely abhor. So called 'freedom' is a myth. Capitalism is really a form of bondage. Slavery.

And the so-called 'american work ethic'...bullish!t! I don't know how the people have been brainwashed into considering it a precious value to bust your ass for meager wages while somebody else gets rich...and then be expected to be grateful for it.

Don't get me wrong: I do believe in working hard to attain goals and so on, but only if its in line with your integrity.
    Last edited by Mike; 10th July 2013 at 16:56.

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

carnavas (14th July 2013), donk (10th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013), Holly Lindin (11th July 2013), MorningSong (10th July 2013), Orph (11th July 2013), RUSirius (11th July 2013), Snookie (10th July 2013), The Potter (11th July 2013), Wind (11th July 2013)

33. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Heh, in the other forum before avalon, all I used to post was stuff similar to 'ski's...it reminds me of the scenes in the Doors where the Jim Morrison (I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!) would scream at the crowd: SLAVES! SLAVES! YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF SLAVES!!

Once I stopped letting the truth that our entire way of life is "valuing" slavery (Trent Reznor is another good one "I have found, you can find, happiness in slavery...) and started appreciating the ways (mostly internal) that you can truly live outside of the mental slave part, life got a lot better.

34. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 times in 472 posts

Regardless of the astounding revelations in the news these days, I still enjoy my time here. As someone who has traveled all over the world but not lived anywhere else really, I still think I enjoy much of my time here.

That is to say however that I still plan on moving outside the US, but only to get away from everything complicated, Im moving towards finding a nice beach and a hammock and calling it a lifetime, very shortly.
    The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
    -- Maureen Dowd --

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toad For This Post:

carnavas (14th July 2013), Orph (11th July 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast