+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How can we stop racial profiling in America?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 times in 744 posts

Default How can we stop racial profiling in America?

In the area of civil law enforcement, Racial profiling is the consideration of race as a variable or indicator when making an assessment of the likelihood that someone has committed a crime or has made some kind of infringement. Racial profiling results in an increased level of surveillance and inquisition of people which are deemed to fall into the category of being more likely to offend.

Quote ‘In New Jersey, the data showed that only 15 % of all driver on the New Jersey Turnpike were racial minorities, yet 43 % of all stops and 73 % of all arrests were of black minorities – despite the fact that blacks and whites violated traffic laws at almost exactly the same rate.’
    A similar study was conducted in Maryland with the same results. In both cases,
    Quote ‘whites were actually more likely than people of color to be carrying illegal drugs on contraband in their vehicles.’
    There was a also a study in Florida with the same results, and one in Illinois, and one in California. The practice of focussing on non-white drivers was called the
    Quote ‘circular logic of racial profilling’
    by an ex New Jersey attorney general.

In New York City in 2007 the NYPD made 508 540 pedestrian stops,
    Quote ‘the vast majority of which were non white and more than half were African American.’
    Quote In 2008, ’80 % of the people stopped were African American.’
    If you find it outrageous to have your x-ray taken and your shoes removed on the odd occasion you have to travel through an airport, imagine how you would feel being subjected to random frisks and searches in daily life by zealous officers, whose decision to give you attention was influenced by the colour of your skin.

The humiliation and injustice of racial profiling creates a toxic divide in the society that endures it. For the victims, a sense of resentment, hopelessness and anger is guaranteed to manifest, the results of which are only likely to cause their livelihoods to spiral further downward. The mind-boggling incarceration rate of African Americans is in no small part due to racial profiling practices. The destruction within families, the impoverishment and hopelessness, caused by this mass imprisonment is a stain on the American State, and racial profiling under the umbrella of the war on drugs exacerbates it tremendously. The resentment also maintains a pressure base that has the potential to violently rupture, in the event of some kind of trigger, which will then only be used to further denigrate and victimise the minorities in question

If racial profiling can be brought to an end, the benefits to American society could not be over estimated. But, how can racial profiling be stopped? I think the people perpetrating it need to be educated on the consequences of their actions, and de-mystified of their deluded justifications. It may also help if they could live a week in the shoes of their quarry. Given the war on drugs underlies much of the (false) justification for racial profiling, an end to the war on drugs also needs to be demanded.

The quotes in this post are from the excellent book, The New Jim Crow, by Michelle Alexander (The New York Press). To learn more, about how racial profiling is used to select neighborhoods to target for drug operations, for example, I suggest you buy a copy of the book.
    Last edited by Tesseract; 14th July 2013 at 15:24. Reason: add quote signs

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tesseract For This Post:

Christine (30th July 2013), hohoemi (6th August 2013), Kindling (16th July 2013), Mercedes (14th July 2013), risveglio (14th July 2013), sigma6 (15th July 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 times in 818 posts

Default Re: How can we stop racial profiling in America?

I'll just go to Walter Williams for this again.

https://www.sodahead.com/united-stat...stion-2550057/

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 times in 464 posts

The racial profiling in the U.S. starts at birth, the birth certificate states race of the parents, consequently the race of the child. Why is this?

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mercedes For This Post:

angienader (17th July 2013), Carmody (1st August 2013), Christine (30th July 2013), Ellisa (15th July 2013), Kindling (16th July 2013), Tesseract (14th July 2013), The Potter (15th July 2013), trevtastic (17th July 2013)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 times in 744 posts

Quote Posted by Mercedes (here)
    The racial profiling in the U.S. starts at birth, the birth certificate states race of the parents, consequently the race of the child. Why is this?
    Good question. I take it some parties have an interest in tracking a population's ethnic/racial composition over time. Regardless of how the statistics are being used today, the historical roots of this curiosity may be rather shameful.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tesseract For This Post:

Ellisa (15th July 2013), Kindling (16th July 2013)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member seeker/reader's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 times in 540 posts

-----------------
    Last edited by seeker/reader; 31st July 2013 at 12:19.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to seeker/reader For This Post:

Tesseract (14th July 2013)

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Warlock's Avatar
    Thanks

Racial profiling does not exist "only" in America, and I'm not saying that you stated it that way.

It exists everywhere in the world.

In Mexico, it is light skin against dark skin. Same in Central America.

In India, it is the same, veiled under 'cast'.

Warlock
    Ignorance is Bliss

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warlock For This Post:

Ellisa (15th July 2013), Tesseract (14th July 2013)

12. Link to Post #7
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

Whilst that is true, Warlock, I would be interested to find out how many countries have an official requirement for 'race' to be entered on a birth certificate.

When I required medical help on a visit to the US I had to complete a form that asked me what race I was. I had to ask for help because I had NEVER had to do that before, I also asked why I had to do it-- and got a rather aggressive reaction! It was a tick the box type form, and had I been a Pacific Islander, an Australian Aborigine, an indigenous Lapp, or many other possibilities, I would not have been able to answer anything other than "other". I can think of no reason for this official requirement that does not have a racist sub-text.

No wonder there are problems!
    Last edited by Ellisa; 15th July 2013 at 00:17.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

Kindling (16th July 2013), MadMax1 (16th July 2013), Tesseract (15th July 2013), Warlock (15th July 2013)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Warlock's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ellisa (here)
    Whilst that is true, Warlock, I would be interested to find out how many countries have an official requirement for 'race' to be entered on a birth certificate.

When I required medical help on a visit to the US I had to complete a form that asked me what race I was. I had to ask for help because I had NEVER had to do that before, I also asked why I had to do it-- and got a rather aggressive reaction! It was a tick the box type form, and had I been a Pacific Islander, an Australian Aborigine, an indigenous Lapp, or many other possibilities, I would not have been able to answer anything other than "other". I can think of no reason for this official requirement that does not have a racist sub-text.

That's what some say about "affirmative action".

Warlock
    Ignorance is Bliss

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Warlock For This Post:

Tesseract (15th July 2013)

16. Link to Post #9
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

Warlock-- I am not an American and so do not understand how your comment on affirmative action applies in this context. Could you explain? And why would it apply to a form for medical treatment, where, I assume, triage would treat the most serious cases first (and i certainly was not in that category). Though I (probably because I was a foreigner) had to prove I could pay before I was seen by any medical personnel. That was a first too!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

18. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I never liked having to report what "race" I am. I would select one randomly or write in "American" if I felt I had to be truthful.

I also don't like having to report a gender. Context will show if I have a penis or vagina. Obviously stating the correct gender on medical forms is essential. Unlike the ambiguous "race" identity I have never falsely stated my gender; I just wish I didn't have to report it.

In my international adventures, I have interacted with many races and cultures. In a simplistic way, I have found that different regions have different values. Skin color is a reflection of the regional difference. On a more spiritual level, the wavelengths seem different. Being out of sync creates huge problems.

The trouble is getting people to stop talking about it. A cover-up for racism :~)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Potter For This Post:

20. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,009 times in 1,932 posts

me color pink if I am out of sun ... red if I am in sun ... green if i drank too much ... and pale white .. whenever ... I want to stop my heart for a few days rest

jim

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jiminii For This Post:

Carmody (1st August 2013), Tesseract (15th July 2013), ulli (15th July 2013)

22. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,009 times in 1,932 posts

Quote Posted by jiminii (here)
    me color pink if I am out of sun ... red if I am in sun ... green if i drank too much ... and pale white .. whenever ... I want to stop my heart for a few days rest

jim
    oh and most people have 4 fingers and one thumb on each hand ... and 2 arms and 2 legs ... and 2 eyes and 2 ears .. and one nose with 2 holes .. and one mouth ..

so we can start with that and for the rest if we like a different color we can tatoo it in everywhere ... so no one color is more important than the other

jim

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jiminii For This Post:

24. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member Another1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 times in 258 posts

This topic always makes me wonder about the people the TSA harass the most in airports? At least in the stories we hear. Kids in wheel chairs, little old ladies wearing Depends, lil old men with colostomy bags. They are damn careful though not to even hint at any form of racial profiling that can be proven in a courtroom.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Another1 For This Post:

26. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Another1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 times in 258 posts

Am sorry for your trouble but it makes me smile a bit to think of the people you confused by not understanding the question.
    I bet you made them think.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Another1 For This Post:

28. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member novus's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been a victim of racial profiling.

I exited a bus station in an unfamiliar city. I soon discovered, I was the only white guy around. I was racially profiled, and robbed at gun point by black gang members, because of the color of my skin.

Yes indeed, racial profiling really sucks!
    Last edited by novus; 16th July 2013 at 20:18.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to novus For This Post:

Another1 (16th July 2013), Tesseract (16th July 2013)

30. Link to Post #16
    Australia Avalon Member MadMax1's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree totally with you why on earth do they need to know that on a medical form or even a birth certificate, I looked at mine to check and nowhere on it does it state what race I am or my parents. Australia is just as much a multicultural country as the USA and yes their are some racist people here, but I find if you ignore them they shut up pretty quickly. So I think you could start by removing the profiling from your legal documents to start with like medical documents and birth certificates that would be a great start but hang onto do that would require the government to change and I doubt that will happen.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to MadMax1 For This Post:

Tesseract (16th July 2013)

32. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member Irishquad's Avatar
    Thanks

I think a distinction needs to be made between racial profiling and common sense profiling. I'm in complete agreement that profiling based solely on race is wrong. As has been noted above, it is a statistical fact that, in the U.S. there are a disproportionately high number of Blacks and Hispanics incarcerated in comparison to the number of Whites. I would also agree that one of the reasons for this statistical fact is due to the gross exploitation of the so-called “war on drugs” to provide a continual supply of “inventory” for the prison industry which, I once read was the 2nd largest industry in the United States. (This figure could be wrong, this comes from an impression of something I read.)

But, I would suggest that there is a great need for law enforcement to be trained in common sense profiling. What I mean by common sense profiling, is teaching law enforcement how to read behavioral signs that would indicate criminal behavior. These signs are exhibited by all ethnic groups, irrespective of skin color. Let's take gang activity for instance. There are criminal gangs within almost every ethnic/racial group, so it would be beneficial for law enforcement to study the behavioral signs indicative of each gang type, to more easily aid in their spotting these individuals out of their respective racial groups. Obviously, as well as the behavioral signs, race certainly will be an issue, but that's not to say that racial profiling per se is being used.

One problem I can foresee, is that the music industry seems to promote a glorification of “thug life” in rap and hip-hop which is then translated to young people emulating those artists. These adopted mannerisms then cause red flags to go up for law enforcement who have a difficult time telling the difference between the criminal elements from innocent youths who've adopted the image of thugs. While this type of music is enjoyed by the full-spectrum of races, I would suggest that Blacks and Hispanics have been the most heavily and negatively affected by this phenomenon. As far as what can be done to solve these problems, my suggestion would be to begin rebuilding within society an understanding of the importance of the family unit for starters.

Sorry for rambling.
    There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. This principle is, contempt prior to examination." - William Paley

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Irishquad For This Post:

Christine (30th July 2013), foreverfan (30th July 2013), Sophocles (30th July 2013), ThePythonicCow (30th July 2013)

34. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member foreverfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,085 times in 528 posts

Quote Posted by Irishquad (here)
    I think a distinction needs to be made between racial profiling and common sense profiling. I'm in complete agreement that profiling based solely on race is wrong. As has been noted above, it is a statistical fact that, in the U.S. there are a disproportionately high number of Blacks and Hispanics incarcerated in comparison to the number of Whites. I would also agree that one of the reasons for this statistical fact is due to the gross exploitation of the so-called “war on drugs” to provide a continual supply of “inventory” for the prison industry which, I once read was the 2nd largest industry in the United States. (This figure could be wrong, this comes from an impression of something I read.)

But, I would suggest that there is a great need for law enforcement to be trained in common sense profiling. What I mean by common sense profiling, is teaching law enforcement how to read behavioral signs that would indicate criminal behavior. These signs are exhibited by all ethnic groups, irrespective of skin color. Let's take gang activity for instance. There are criminal gangs within almost every ethnic/racial group, so it would be beneficial for law enforcement to study the behavioral signs indicative of each gang type, to more easily aid in their spotting these individuals out of their respective racial groups. Obviously, as well as the behavioral signs, race certainly will be an issue, but that's not to say that racial profiling per se is being used.

One problem I can foresee, is that the music industry seems to promote a glorification of “thug life” in rap and hip-hop which is then translated to young people emulating those artists. These adopted mannerisms then cause red flags to go up for law enforcement who have a difficult time telling the difference between the criminal elements from innocent youths who've adopted the image of thugs. While this type of music is enjoyed by the full-spectrum of races, I would suggest that Blacks and Hispanics have been the most heavily and negatively affected by this phenomenon. As far as what can be done to solve these problems, my suggestion would be to begin rebuilding within society an understanding of the importance of the family unit for starters.

Sorry for rambling.
    I couldn't have said it better... except that the music industry is a huge part of the problem since "garbage in" is "garbage out".

I say we need to go a step further with a war on gangs. If home land security wants a job, it could start with a WAR on GANGS and cleaning up the streets. They should make the wearing of gang colors illegal and give members a mandatory 10 year sentence. Next they could try to clean up the music industry. All music that promotes the gang mentality should be illegal and not glamorized. This would send a message to young people.

Webster should redefine the "N" word to mean "Scum/Criminal" no matter what race. This will mean that EVERYONE will have a choice if that is what you want to be. Once you earn this distinction, it should stick with certain types x cons for a while and be printed on your ID. This should be the profile.

Makes too much sense... this will never be done.
    Last edited by foreverfan; 30th July 2013 at 01:43.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to foreverfan For This Post:

Irishquad (3rd August 2013)

36. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,182 times in 1,657 posts

If you want to see racism you ought to come to Belgium.

I hear the Luxembourgers are also getting the hang of it. (http://www.radio1.be/node/310862 Sorry, Dutch audio only)

37. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,301 times in 5,193 posts

In UK, most official forms contain a section bringing up the racial question, which I adamantly refuse to complete. There have been occasions when the interviewer filled in that part of the form, describing how I appear. I am white looking, with a black looking African grandfather, who was born from the mix of an African woman of the Bantu and a white Scottish man, and I am proud of my lineage.

I read a book about race published by Oxfam a long time ago. In it was described that, even then, there was/is no longer any original race. Every race had already mixed.
    Last edited by ktlight; 30th July 2013 at 10:26.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast