+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do so few Germans comment on this forum?

1. Link to Post #1
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,190 times in 1,661 posts

Default Why do so few Germans comment on this forum?

this has been a dilemma that has baffled me for yrs.-

Germany is THE land of censorship which is why David Icke continues to be banned from speaking in Germany among many other things-

but we're on Avalon, not David Icke; so why do so few Germans comment on this website?- cat got your tongue?

please explain- would interest me greatly- no, folks, am not interested in comments from Americans, Brits, etc. on this subject but from German nationals who are members of this website-

why do you very seldom comment on anything on this website let alone NEVER start/have never started a thread on this website?

warum nicht?- habt ihr Angst davor?-

please explain- würde mich sehr interessieren-

this is just simply an ernest question and not an attack on anybody- am just trying to learn-

Larry

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (17th June 2018), Apulu (18th June 2018), Baby Steps (18th June 2018), Bruno (18th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), genevieve (18th June 2018), Jayke (18th June 2018), justntime2learn (18th June 2018), KiwiElf (17th June 2018), Matthew (18th June 2018), onawah (18th June 2018), Zampano (18th June 2018)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Default Re: Why do so few Germans comment on this forum?

I doubt it gets a lot of advertizement in German internet circles. Maybe that's your opening?

4. Link to Post #3
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

I imagine they are busy "being industrious", as Germans are wont to do.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), onawah (18th June 2018)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Language is a problem. On tv everything is synchronised so most Germans dont see or hear other languages very often. Google translation does a lousy job btw...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samson For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), Jantje (18th June 2018)

8. Link to Post #5
    Hungary Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I wonder if it's a language barrier issue. Most people on this forum are either from English speaking countries, or from countries where English is widely spoken, such as Scandinavia or the Netherlands. I don't see a lot of people from France, Spain, Germany, Russia, China or Japan.

What is more surprising to me is the lack of people from India, where they do speak English very well. You would think if someone, then the Indians would be experts on a lot of the topics we are discussing here, but I don't see them at all. I guess these nations all have their own cultural spaces and they rarely cross over into what the French would call the Anglo-Saxon cultural sphere. I know that there are tons of websites dedicated to these issues in Hungarian and German, but they tend to stay in their own little world and it probably doesn't even occur to them to go to English websites for further research.

I also think that the dubbing of movies and TV shows plays a part. In countries like Germany, Hungary and France, all of our TV shows and movies are dubbed into the local language, therefore we don't get exposed to the English language on a daily basis at all. It is a very different situation in Scandinavia or the Netherlands, where all of these are in the original language, with subtitles.

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,742 times in 1,499 posts

The forum is in English. How many from Spain, Holland, Denmark, etc?

As for South Asian countries (India, Bangladesh, etc.) there's a cultural aspect, apart from the fact that only the relatively-well educated speak English. I've worked in those countries. Those that are educated there tend to have quite good critical-thinking skills, have no time for what is mostly evidence-free speculation or the conspirasphere...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Chris (18th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), Wind (18th June 2018), Zampano (18th June 2018)

11. Link to Post #7
    Hungary Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Nick Matkin (here)
    The forum is in English. How many from Spain, Holland, Denmark, etc?

As for South Asian countries (India, Bangladesh, etc.) there's a cultural aspect, apart from the fact that only the relatively-well educated speak English. I've worked in those countries. Those that are educated there tend to have quite good critical-thinking skills, have no time for what is mostly evidence-free speculation or the conspirasphere...
    I don't know, I spent some of my early life in India and visited a number of times as an adult. I also had many Indian friends when I lived in Singapore and the UK. To me it seems they are rather more prone to supernatural explanations when it comes to explaining various phenomena that pop up in their lives. This is a generalisation, but I think this is true of Asians by and large. I have never met so many people who genuinely and earnestly believe in reincarnation, ghosts, evil spirits, astronomy, amulets and gods as when I was living in Asia. I happen to think they have it right and us in the West have it wrong. We have become far too divorced from our spiritual nature to even notice when something not quite physical happens to us. I guess, going back to the original topic, Germans in particular are highly materialistic and rational, so they are probably the least likely to give the time of day for this kind of stuff. Other Europeans are close behind. But, in the rest of the world, which is most of it, people see the spirit world as an everyday reality and interact with it all the time.

12. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,724 times in 193 posts

Quote Posted by Cardillac (here)
    - no, folks, am not interested in comments from Americans, Brits, etc. on this subject but from German nationals who are members of this website-
    Slightly amusing how little effect that had!

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Apulu For This Post:

Chris (18th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), Jantje (18th June 2018), justntime2learn (18th June 2018), Matt P (18th June 2018), mountain_jim (25th June 2018), Tintin (18th June 2018), Wind (18th June 2018)

14. Link to Post #9
    Netherlands Avalon Member Jantje's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 times in 181 posts

In the part of the Netherlands where I live there is loads of german people celebrating their vacation. It is very common you get asked for directions or whatever in German.
    They don't do english. That's it. Nearly every European knows this.

A friend who lives in Germany told me that it's changing a little bit, especially amongst the youth.
    I'm sure it doesn't help that everything on tv is in German. I actually learned most of what I know about English language through watching tv is a kid.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jantje For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), Jayke (18th June 2018), Matt P (18th June 2018), onawah (18th June 2018), Wind (18th June 2018)

16. Link to Post #10
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,027 times in 268 posts

German forums are flooded with opinions. Everyone seems to think he knows better than the rest of the world. Sadly often all of this opinion stating is mixed with hate speech. That is the main reason I quit participating in German forums. The whole atmosphere at those places is breaking my heart.

So I came to projectavalon.
    Should I here practice the same bad manners, that I watched over there (stating opinions)?

I decided to only post comments when I can contribute at least some substantial information.
    But I am reading a lot here and I really benefit in my personal process a lot from it.

17. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Olaf For This Post:

Apulu (18th June 2018), Baby Steps (18th June 2018), Cardillac (18th June 2018), Chris (18th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), Ivanhoe (18th June 2018), Jantje (18th June 2018), Jayke (18th June 2018), Kate (18th June 2018), meat suit (18th June 2018), Mike (18th June 2018), onawah (18th June 2018), Tintin (18th June 2018), Valerie Villars (18th June 2018), Wind (18th June 2018), wondering (19th June 2018), Zampano (18th June 2018)

18. Link to Post #11
    Hungary Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Olaf (here)
    German forums are flooded with opinions. Everyone seems to think he knows better than the rest of the world. Sadly often all of this opinion stating is mixed with hate speech. That is the main reason I quit participating in German forums. The whole atmosphere at those places is breaking my heart.

So I came to projectavalon.
    Should I here practice the same bad manners, that I watched over there (stating opinions)?

I decided to only post comments when I can contribute at least some substantial information.
    But I am reading a lot here and I really benefit in my personal process a lot from it.
    You know what, it's exactly like that on the Hungarian forums. I stopped participating in those years ago. I really enjoy the open-mindedness and free exchange of information on this forum. Having lived in various English-speaking countries, I think it's a cultural thing. People are just more polite and are more likely to respect each other's opinion. Sometimes, the Hungarian in me comes out and tells people to go to hell in no uncertain terms, but I try to avoid it as much as possible.

19. Link to Post #12
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    I imagine they are busy "being industrious", as Germans are wont to do.
    They have some of the shortest working hours in Europe. It just may not be their cup of tea. Aslo, they have been bashed to oblivion for their recent past and so may not feel at home in an English speaking forum.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chris_walker For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), onawah (18th June 2018), Wind (18th June 2018)

21. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,716 times in 8,943 posts

My opinion: this forum is very much American-Anglo culturally biaised. If you do not understand the American ways of thinking, and all the language acronyms, this forum becomes unattractive, even if you speak enough English.

I have seen Chinese members come and go, Russians come and go, South Americans come and go, they do not stick around. The heavy American biais and the unacknowledgment by Americans of any other culture in the world is not Welcoming. Even if the forum members are more open to the world than the average American.

Add to this slight (not even average) english language difficulties, and you stay away, you become too misunderstood and or misunderstand too much.

Now, anyone who do not speak a second language and has not travelled a bit (both are required) cannot truly understand what I am writing here.

Personnalky, i have given up trying to communicate a different point of view based on a culturally different understanding to members on this forum. I remain basically with an American biais here, because I can. Otherwise I would be elsewhere.

------------------

ex: I am actually listening to a radio program on "la comédie humaine" d'Honoré de Balzac, which is an incredible extremely deep description of the human states (comedy if you wish because it is hard to believe at times). Who has heard of this in America??? How can I share anything related to it with a public that has no idea of what it is.

Although, here, I have to know a bit of Sheakespeare.....
    Last edited by Flash; 18th June 2018 at 15:31.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Chris (18th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), Hervé (18th June 2018), KiwiElf (18th June 2018), Mike (18th June 2018), Olaf (18th June 2018), onawah (18th June 2018), Wind (18th June 2018), Zampano (18th June 2018)

23. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,606 times in 5,714 posts

Flash, You mean to tell me there are other cultures?

Sheesh. Is it that bad? You sort of make it sound like there's a bunch of overexcited, blindly dogmatic Trump supporters here waving red, white and blue foam fingers in the air while responding to each post with nothing more than an ITALICIZED chant of "USA! USA! USA"...

Wait a second...you may have a point

I'll admit, the image of Americans as uncultured oafs embarrasses me a little. I don't do much to improve that image here. But after reading your post, I desperately wanted to post a video of my bookshelf as proof of some sort of hint at culture ("...and here we have the great French writer Celine, and Hemingway...and ooo look, what do we have here? Malcolm Lowry!") just to prove that i might be an exception to the stereotype.

I'm not insecure or anything (yes I am) and I don't feel like I have anything to prove (yes I do) ...but I thought that might have been kinda funny (and validating of my pathetic ego).

Gosh, do any of the rest of you guys feel that way? Non Americans i mean?

As a pathetic way of making this post sort of on topic, I'll mention here that I have quite a bit of German blood. Thankfully it has done nothing to dull my American genius (USA! USA! USA!)
    Last edited by Mike; 18th June 2018 at 19:57.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Flash (18th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), onawah (18th June 2018), Wind (18th June 2018), Zampano (18th June 2018)

25. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Understand your point, Flash....we had a member leave here, quite awhile ago who, because of her difficulty with the English language, was being misunderstood & criticized to the point where she just gave up & did not leave us an address where she could be contacted.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Flash (18th June 2018), Mike (18th June 2018)

27. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 353 posts

I think that dear Flash, Chris, Nick and Olaf pointed out the main reasons!
    Language barrier to as you can read.

Quote My opinion: this forum is very much American-Anglo culturally biaised. If you do not understand the American ways of thinking, and all the language acronyms, this forum becomes unattractive, even if you speak enough English.

That doesnt mean that german speaking countries are less active in that kind of field ;-)
    From my knowledge, there are a lot of german UFO investigators, Remote Viewers, Paranormal Stuff investigators.
    Sometimes Project Avalon gets mentioned.

@ Larry Es gibt sehr viel auf Deutsch, aber das hat mich bis dato wegen deren Umgangsformen nicht interessiert.
    Jeder will, oder weiß es besser zu wissen.
    Last edited by Zampano; 18th June 2018 at 20:20.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zampano For This Post:

Flash (18th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), Mike (18th June 2018), Wind (18th June 2018)

29. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 353 posts

I am from Austria, not Germany!
    What I can say, german speaking TV isnt that bad-depends on the channel of course
    But I think that goes for all countries.

And I love to read Mike´s post, for example.
    For English lessons, smart humour and intellectual insights.

Besides the woowoo stuff of course.
    Last edited by Zampano; 18th June 2018 at 19:30.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zampano For This Post:

Flash (18th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), Jayke (18th June 2018), Mike (18th June 2018), Wind (18th June 2018)

31. Link to Post #18
    Hungary Unsubscribed
    Thanks

If you want to know, how the rest of the world sees Americans and Brits, you have to ask an Irish person. Like, comedian Dylan Moran. Enjoy this bit

Last edited by Chris; 18th June 2018 at 19:46.

32. Link to Post #19
    Hungary Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Zampano (here)
    I am from Austria, not Germany!
    What I can say, german speaking TV isnt that bad-depends on the channel of course
    But I think that goes for all countries.

And I love to read Mike´s post, for example.
    For English lessons, smart humour and intellectual insights.

Besides the woowoo stuff of course.
    Since the world cup is on, I wanted to ask you about the Austria-Hungary football match. Who are we playing again?

By the way, have you heard the one about the Hungarian who went into a bookstore in Vienna and wanted to buy a Globe of Hungary?
    Arf-Arf

33. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,716 times in 8,943 posts

Hilarious, thanks Mike.

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Flash, You mean to tell me there are other cultures?

Sheesh. Is it that bad? You sort of make it sound like there's a bunch of overexcited, blindly dogmatic Trump supporters here waving red, white and blue foam fingers in the air while responding to each post with nothing more than an ITALICIZED chant of "USA! USA! USA"...

Wait a second...you may have a point

I'll admit, the image of Americans as uncultured oafs embarrasses me a little. I don't do much to improve that image here. But after reading your post, I desperately wanted to post a video of my bookshelf as proof of some sort hint at culture ("...and here we have the great French writer Celine, and Hemingway...and ooo look, what do we have here? Malcolm Lowry!") just to prove that i might be an exception to the stereotype.

I'm not insecure or anything (yes I am) and I don't feel like I have anything to prove (yes I do) ...but I thought that might have been kinda funny (and validating of my pathetic ego).

Gosh, do any of the rest of you guys feel that way? Non Americans i mean?

As a pathetic way of making this post sort of on topic, I'll mention here that I have quite a bit of German blood. Thankfully it has done nothing to dull my American genius (USA! USA! USA!)
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (18th June 2018), Mike (18th June 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast