+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast

Thread: Dalai Lama is a hypocrite when it comes to eating meat!

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,812 times in 21,552 posts

Default Re: Dalai Lama is a hypocrite when it comes to eating meat!

Quote Posted by bram (here)
    That was the results of my thirty second google exercise, but I did bookmark him to read some more. Any suggestions on where to begin?
    Here's one interesting introduction to him:
    http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...dietary-wisdom
    Here's his primary book:
    Nutrition and Physical Degeneration
    by Weston A. Price
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (11th January 2013), bram (11th January 2013), DeDukshyn (11th January 2013), Eram (11th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013), RMorgan (11th January 2013), Ultima Thule (11th January 2013)

3. Link to Post #42
    Finland Avalon Member Ultima Thule's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,265 times in 683 posts

Quote Posted by another bob (here)
    A man in a dream ate a dream cow, while various dream characters offered opinions.

That sure sounds like the dream I am looking at just now. But if I wake up, I don´t get to dream-read the rest of the thread.
    Dream on, I´ll wake up just in time to go to sleep.

UT

Add something (slightly) on topic: One day Jesus made his second coming and drove in his sedan to visit the locals of a small town. Everything wen´t okay, people were really happy and all enlightened - ready to ascend even - until old Mack asked Jesus: "Say J, you didn´t drive up here in a japanese car did you?"
    Last edited by Ultima Thule; 11th January 2013 at 10:46.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ultima Thule For This Post:

DeDukshyn (11th January 2013), Eram (11th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013), realitycorrodes (11th January 2013), RMorgan (11th January 2013)

5. Link to Post #43
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Green Pasture's, butter oil (activator X) and fermented cod liver oil are good, i use the Blue Ice Royal, recomend it.

Pete Peterson interview by Bill and Kerry is also a good one to listen or view.
    Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 11th January 2013 at 10:11.

6. Link to Post #44
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,459 times in 1,312 posts

This guy's got a real issue with meat eaters. They won't believe what he wants them to believe, and do what he wants them to do.

That annoys me too, but it doesn't threaten my mission. I hope he's able to sleep alright. He won't stop animals from being killed,
    but he can suffer every death with them, and so should you.
    He needs to go back to awareness school.

Animal rights religion par excellence. How about this; If you don't want to eat meat, don't eat it. Don't kill it. Don't need to explain yourself or preach. Same thing.
    Don't even think about it. Thinking about 'other guys' who kill animals is absurd. You'll be thinking about how much it anguishes you.
    How you'll never stop them. How pathetic and impotent your beliefs are. They haven't saved them or you or the cows.

Think about the animal 'not' dead. Bless it, since nobody else will.
    Last edited by markpierre; 11th January 2013 at 12:52.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to markpierre For This Post:

DeDukshyn (11th January 2013), Eram (11th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013), PathWalker (12th January 2013), ulli (11th January 2013)

8. Link to Post #45
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

A man in a dream ate a dream cow, while various dream characters offered opinions.
    This covers a big part of the issue of consumption of meat, but there is also the question about the dreamcows oppinion of their role in the whole of this and whether free will is in play here.
    My girlfiriend, who can communicate with animals however, has been told repeatidly that the cows don't mind ending up on our diner plate.
    The only thing that they would like though, is to be treated with some more respect and dignety.

That being said.... we are vegetarians... mostly.... because we feel better that way.
    Last edited by Eram; 11th January 2013 at 11:02.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Mike (12th January 2013)

10. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,739 times in 1,371 posts

Could it be that part, a large part, of the problem is that this senior monk/politician has been placed on a massive pedestal by a lot of whingey Westerners who want to believe that all Buddhists are vegetarian and therefore super-duper "spiritual" ?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosquito For This Post:

bram (11th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013), sdv (11th January 2013), Tony (11th January 2013)

12. Link to Post #47
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 times in 256 posts

Quote Posted by mariposafe (here)
    Could it be that part, a large part, of the problem is that this senior monk/politician has been placed on a massive pedestal by a lot of whingey Westerners who want to believe that all Buddhists are vegetarian and therefore super-duper "spiritual" ?
    Could be....(spoken in a whingey voice)...however, where I live, over 90% of the buddhists are vegetarian (which is very convenient for me).

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bram For This Post:

greybeard (11th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013), RMorgan (11th January 2013), Tony (11th January 2013)

14. Link to Post #48
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)
    This covers a big part of the issue of consumption of meat, but there is also the question about the dreamcows oppinion of their role in the whole of this and whether free will is in play here.
    My girlfiriend, who can communicate with animals however, has been told repeatidly that the cows don't mind ending up on our diner plate.
    The only thing that they would like though, is to be treated with some more respect and dignety.

That being said.... we are vegetarians... mostly.... because we feel better that way.
    I feel the same way.
    However.
    One book I read suggests that all "lower" life literally serves "higher" life as part of their evolution.
    That millions of cows etc would not have the privilege of an earthly life and the chance to evolve with out meat eaters.

The Red Indians and others would spend time with the animal they had killed and respectfully thank it.
    Saying Grace also boosts the energy of food-- that's a fact.

Where I do have a problem is the manner of killing.
    I believe it should be done humanely as possible.
    Animals are conscious beings too--they know they are going to die.
    If they die in fear, their body's produce toxins which can not be healthy to the consumer.

So thats my dream thoughts on a dream situation.
    We are both form and formless and neither.
    You could say from a higher perspective that nothing actually happened---but---its meant to feel real.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

bram (11th January 2013), Eram (11th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013), RMorgan (11th January 2013), sdv (11th January 2013), sheddie (12th January 2013), Tony (11th January 2013), ulli (11th January 2013), Ultima Thule (11th January 2013), Wind (11th January 2013)

16. Link to Post #49
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,173 times in 13,485 posts

Quote Posted by markpierre (here)
    This guy's got a real issue with meat eaters. They won't believe what he wants them to believe, and do what he wants them to do.

That annoys me too, but it doesn't threaten my mission. I hope he's able to sleep alright. He won't stop animals from being killed,
    but he can suffer every death with them, and so should you.
    He needs to go back to awareness school.

Animal rights religion par excellence. How about this; If you don't want to eat meat, don't eat it. Don't kill it. Don't need to explain yourself or preach. Same thing.
    Don't even think about it. Thinking about 'other guys' who kill animals is absurd. You'll be thinking about how much it anguishes you.
    How you'll never stop them. How pathetic and impotent your beliefs are. They haven't saved them or you.

Think about the animal 'not' dead. Bless it, since nobody else will.
    When the illusion of power is replaced by the reality of powerlessness
    that is a major breakthrough in a person's life.
    Maybe the writer of that letter is close to getting there.
    Also, when one discovers that leaders at the top of the pile have more in common with other leaders also at the top of their piles, than with the people they supposedly represent, and that they have become part of the media celebrity clique, who live under a different set of rules, that is a healthy eye opener. The guy who wrote that letter is about to become independent, where nothing blocks his view of his God. It's all good. Because there is still life after one has left the herd.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

bram (11th January 2013), greybeard (11th January 2013), markpierre (11th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013), PathWalker (12th January 2013), realitycorrodes (11th January 2013), RMorgan (11th January 2013)

18. Link to Post #50
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,127 times in 3,536 posts

Hey folks,

Please, lets not convert this thread into another meat eating versus vegetarianism debate...It´s just not about it.

It´s about hypocrisy, coming from a person who isn´t supposed to be a hypocrite.

Ok, I see hypocrisy every time I look in the mirror; I´m working on it, but I still see it.

I can be hypocrite, you can be hypocrite, as long as we realize it and work hard to improve ourselves...That´s not the issue discussed here as well.

The issue is, that a guy, who is always introduced as HIS SANCTITY, should really be such a hypocrite.

I mean, are saints, I mean, real saints, not fabricated ones, really allowed to be hypocrites? Could one become a saint being a hypocrite, in the first place?

St.Francis of Assisi, as an example, was known to have serious bone disease, because his compassion was so great, that he often refused to eat even plants, so his ascetic diet mostly consisted of fruits.

Besides, as far as I know, when you have hepatitis, or other general liver disease, you should actually reduce the consumption of meat, specially read meat, not increase it. Ask any physician about it. So I´m not sure if I´m buying his justification for eating meat. Mostly probably he´s just eating meat because he likes its taste.

Raf.

PS: My definition of hypocrite is a person who don´t practice what he preaches...
    Last edited by RMorgan; 11th January 2013 at 15:14.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

Akasha (15th January 2013), bram (11th January 2013), greybeard (11th January 2013), lunaflare (14th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013), realitycorrodes (11th January 2013), Ultima Thule (11th January 2013), Wind (11th January 2013)

20. Link to Post #51
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,008 times in 2,305 posts

Sigh...
    Why haven't any of the Buddhists mentioned Devadatta?

There is no reason that a Buddhist should be a vegetarian other than cultural tradition and sect dogma.
    It is said that Buddha himself ruled against it.
    Buddhists can not kill an animal.
    Some sects teach that it was taught by Buddha that they can eat meat if the meat was not specifically killed for them, they did not witness the animal being killed or hear the animals cries from being killed.
    The Dalai Lama is the head of one of those sects so he is not a hypocrite.

I'm a tad confused why I'm the one presenting this...
    Apologies if I missed someone saying it earlier.

-- Pan
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

21. Link to Post #52
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

From my point of view The Dali Lama is not a hypocrite because he has not made a secret of eating meat.
    That it in a nutshell.
    As far as spiritual goes I cant see that being a non vegetarian would bar a person from making spiritual progress.
    As far as Saint Hood goes--- Dr David Hawkins in one of his books maintained that Neither the Pope nor the Dail Lama are enlightened as the fully enlightened state would not be compatible with running a religion. He also said that the path of Sainthood is different from the path of Enlightenment.
    The enlightened are very normal, some probably eat meat, drink beer and make love.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Airwooz (12th January 2013), Arrowwind (11th January 2013), DeDukshyn (11th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013), mosquito (12th January 2013), PathWalker (11th January 2013), RMorgan (11th January 2013), sdv (11th January 2013), Ultima Thule (11th January 2013), Wind (11th January 2013)

23. Link to Post #53
    Finland Avalon Member Ultima Thule's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,265 times in 683 posts

One might think - doubly so, if is a member here actually - that it would be refreshing and promising to see someone in Dalai Lamas shoes not accommodating into acting out his role according to tradition, religion etc., but instead showing bit of rebellion?
    Let the man rattle his cage!

UT

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultima Thule For This Post:

greybeard (11th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013)

25. Link to Post #54
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,221 times in 2,274 posts

The guilt & blame game is a favorite human activity, employed as a classic strategy to avoid dealing with one's own boredom, doubt, and discomfort. We are addicted to judging each other and prescribing how others should live, so as to never have to look closely in our own mirror. Gossip is the flip side of celebrity worship, enabling fidgety folk to pass some time while waiting in the check-out line at the supermarket, but it rather leaves an "off" taste on the palate, eh . . .

26. Link to Post #55
    Israel Avalon Member PathWalker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,056 times in 1,088 posts

Following this theme.
    As the leader of a well-known religion. He can change the religion.
    He is courageous enough to modify the religion to suit the time. And I do honor that.
    We are playing a virtual reality game, of duality. In the game of choices, align your choices with your ideals. Everything is whole, complete and perfect. Even yourself. Love is the power to change/create.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PathWalker For This Post:

DeDukshyn (11th January 2013), greybeard (11th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013)

28. Link to Post #56
    Israel Avalon Member PathWalker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,056 times in 1,088 posts

Quote Posted by realitycorrodes (here)
    It is about compassion - not about health - health is the poor excuse to cover up a lack of compassion.

Spiritually is a belief as is being eaten spiritually.

It is my experience when it comes to discussing spirituality there is generally no hard evidence that can be produced - usually only subjective opinions - which pretty much lends itself to a conversation that goes in circles.
    I hope you mean what you wrote, because plants are living things as well. Many scientific experiments proved that.
    The point is that we are flesh, therefore consume other life. All life forms consume other life form in one manner or another. The difference is the intention, intensity and integrity. Only pet animals and humans developed obesity. And greed.
    Last edited by PathWalker; 12th January 2013 at 21:11.
    We are playing a virtual reality game, of duality. In the game of choices, align your choices with your ideals. Everything is whole, complete and perfect. Even yourself. Love is the power to change/create.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PathWalker For This Post:

13th Warrior (11th January 2013), DeDukshyn (11th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013)

30. Link to Post #57
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,886 times in 913 posts

Quote Posted by PathWalker (here)
    It is about compassion - not about health - health is the poor excuse to cover up a lack of compassion.

It is my experience when it comes to discussing spirituality there is generally no hard evidence that can be produced - usually only subjective opinions - which pretty much lends itself to a conversation that goes in circles.
    I hope you mean what you wrote, because plants are living things as well. Many scientific experiments proved that.
    The point is that we are flesh, therefore consume other life. All life forms consume other life from in one manner or another. The difference is the intention, intensity and integrity. Only pet animals and humans developed obesity. And greed.
    I was right with you on this statement up until this point "Only pet animals and humans developed obesity. And greed"

Animals do not behave the way many seem to be projecting them to be; they are not these perfect little darling creatures that Walt Disney portrays.
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

31. The Following User Says Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Mike (12th January 2013)

32. Link to Post #58
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)

I feel the same way.
    However.
    One book I read suggests that all "lower" life literally serves "higher" life as part of their evolution.
    That millions of cows etc would not have the privilege of an earthly life and the chance to evolve with out meat eaters.

The Red Indians and others would spend time with the animal they had killed and respectfully thank it.
    Saying Grace also boosts the energy of food-- that's a fact.

Where I do have a problem is the manner of killing.
    I believe it should be done humanely as possible.
    Animals are conscious beings too--they know they are going to die.
    If they die in fear, their body's produce toxins which can not be healthy to the consumer.

So thats my dream thoughts on a dream situation.
    We are both form and formless and neither.
    You could say from a higher perspective that nothing actually happened---but---its meant to feel real.

Chris
    I think perhaps even more importantly than killing the animal in a "humane" way (that word seems to be loosing meaning these days, lol), is raising the animal in a humane way. It should have been cared for with love. This makes both better tasting meat and better meat vibrationally.

To support your point on the killing method ...
    My Dad used to hunt moose and deer occasionally to help feed his family (it's Canada - we have lots of hunters and many out of necessity), and he told me it is very important to bring your hunt down with one shot, with moose this is hard, so you need a big gun. He said if you have to chase your hunt, wounded, through the woods to make the kill, your meat will be full of fear and ruined. It affects the taste of the meat as well. Natives taught my dad how to hunt ... I remember eating moose tongue sandwiches in harder times ... not bad at all actually
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Eram (11th January 2013), greybeard (11th January 2013), Mike (12th January 2013), PathWalker (12th January 2013), Wind (11th January 2013)

34. Link to Post #59
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by 13th Warrior (here)

The point is that we are flesh, therefore consume other life. All life forms consume other life from in one manner or another. The difference is the intention, intensity and integrity. Only pet animals and humans developed obesity. And greed.
    I was right with you on this statement up until this point "Only pet animals and humans developed obesity. And greed"

Animals do not behave the way many seem to be projecting them to be; they are not these perfect little darling creatures that Walt Disney portrays.
    Don't dismiss "The Human Condition" --- a destructive force of ego that directs the mind to undesirable outcomes (like obesity). Animals don't have that problem, except domesticated ones. It is through the process of "domestication" that this begins to occur. Humans are a "domesticated animal" --- there is no question about this.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Mike (12th January 2013), PathWalker (12th January 2013)

36. Link to Post #60
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,886 times in 913 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Quote Posted by 13th Warrior (here)

Don't dismiss "The Human Condition" --- a destructive force of ego that directs the mind to undesirable outcomes (like obesity). Animals don't have that problem, except domesticated ones. It is through the process of "domestication" that this begins to occur. Humans are a "domesticated animal" --- there is no question about this.
    Obesity probably isn't the correct term for "wildlife" but, there certainly are plenty of creatures in the wild that could be classified as fat/obese.
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

37. The Following User Says Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Mike (12th January 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast