+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eating a GMO free diet? Is anyone doing it...or up to it?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Eating a GMO free diet? Is anyone doing it...or up to it?

Hi Everyone,
    Lately I've been feeling trapped...The sky doesn't look healthy or natural. (It's summer in San Jose, California and It's been raining and cloudy since yesterday morning).
    Our drinking water is being poisoned by fluoride everyday (fluoride has no health benefits...and our teeth aren't any stronger than someone in a 3rd world country without fluoride).

I'm so sick of this. I'm sensitive to many things...and I can no longer live this way.

My escapes are hiking high into the mountains and enjoy the fresh air, while looking down on my city covered in pollution...some of the pollution is being dropped by the clouds or whatever they are, because me and my husband sometimes see wispy droppings of the clouds falling in the city from high.

I really want to eat Organic/non-gmo. I think I could do it. maybe we can share healthy raw recipes in this thread or anything relating to this.

I'm going to start my diet this Wednesday. I need at least 2 days to come up with enough recipes and do some shopping. Anyone have any tips? Or want to try with me? we can post photos of our meals or just post a message what were eating. Support??? Anyone

PS the reason I'm posting in General is because I don't think I'm allowed to post any where else

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to angienader For This Post:

bennycog (24th June 2013), Conchis (25th June 2013), DeDukshyn (24th June 2013), Holly Lindin (25th June 2013), Kristin (24th June 2013), nomadguy (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), soleil (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,004 times in 2,540 posts

Default Re: Eating a GMO free diet? Is anyone doing it...or up to it?

Welcome to Avalon! Please feel free to respond to any thread you like. I grow all my own non GMO food. I would say that in southern Cal you do have some Non GMO labels to look for. Braggs for instance in Gluten free non GMO soy sauce. These labels are voluntary, not mandatory. Buy Non GMO organic from your local farmers market and then follow any recipe you like. No need to change diet, just products. Good luck to you!

From the Heart,
    Kristin

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kristin For This Post:

angienader (24th June 2013), bennycog (24th June 2013), DeDukshyn (24th June 2013), Holly Lindin (25th June 2013), nomadguy (25th June 2013), northstar (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Moderator (on Sabbatical) Deborah (ahamkara)'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 times in 417 posts

Good luck with your new non-GMO - avoiding the big four - corn, corn syrup, canola, soy- and processed foods containing is fairly easy. Since I don't eat wheat, by diet is based on rice, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, grass fed locally sourced beef and chicken and occasional fish. I use organic butter and olive oil and most recipes are "adapted" to a non GMO diet by buying fresh, local and/or organic when possible. It is NOT any more expensive, since you will naturally eat less of nutritionally dense foods. We need very little high quality food to thrive. The human machine is quite efficient given good fuel!! You might consider a good water filter or buy water without fluoride. I feel wonderful and have lots of energy. Best wishes on your new healthy lifestyle

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Deborah (ahamkara) For This Post:

angienader (24th June 2013), chocolate (25th June 2013), DeDukshyn (24th June 2013), Holly Lindin (25th June 2013), northstar (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Kristen...Thank you for those items! If they did it by volunteering then I will go there products

Ahamkara...Thank you for the tips. Your right...the prices really do stay the same...and in long term, the benefits are a healthier being

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to angienader For This Post:

DeDukshyn (24th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

I will say over the last two years I switched to eating mostly all organic, and am very pleased with my decision. I still get mostly non-organic meat though, but that's a convenience thing right now that I do plan on addressing (likely going more vegetarian as well). All I have to say is my food tastes so much better, as I am sensitive to chemicals. I find I can get away with eating less with healthy food as well, so some of the increased cost of organic can be offset with slightly reduced consumption.

I don't think I could go with 100% GMO free, but I think everyone should always move in that direction and keep that move going until one is mostly on healthy foods again. Change is required and change isn't easy, but so far my path on this endeavour has been rewarding.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

angienader (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), soleil (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member AnnOther's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been following Dr Joel Fuhrman, M.D. 'diet' (it's a lifetime eating plan, not necessarily a weight loss diet)
    He has written several books, but my favorite is: Eat to Live
    Basically, you eat nutrient-dense foods: vegetables (organic), nuts, beans..... but absolutely nothing processed (including oils, you get your fats from nuts and seeds)
    The results are profound: you crave less fat, sweets, and high-calorie food....
    which leads to amazing health benefits: you become lean, and healthy. Many studies show heart disease and diabetes are reversed and cured.
    My brother has been following it very closely for over a year, and has had amazing results.
    I am doing the best I can to follow.....
    But -- if you follow one basic rule from his book: eat one pound of cooked AND one pound of fresh veggies every day, you don't have room to overeat 'bad foods'

Good luck improving your diet. I have seen great improvement already (even with my cheats)

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AnnOther For This Post:

angienader (25th June 2013), Conchis (25th June 2013), DeDukshyn (24th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), soleil (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member lightwalker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 times in 155 posts

I got a nutribullet 6 weeks ago.....the best thing I've done since giving up wheat.....and so friggin easy to do. Look it up, do your research, read the reviews. I can't tell you enough how this has improved my physical well-being.
    I love my green drink in the morning. I stopped buying an organic green algae powder I had been using daily for years and THAT is saying something.

You will worry much less about the effects of GMO's.....and I bless it all.

lightwalker

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lightwalker For This Post:

angienader (25th June 2013), AnnOther (25th June 2013), DeDukshyn (25th June 2013), Earth Angel (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lightwalker (here)
    I got a nutribullet 6 weeks ago.....the best thing I've done since giving up wheat.....and so friggin easy to do. Look it up, do your research, read the reviews. I can't tell you enough how this has improved my physical well-being.
    I love my green drink in the morning. I stopped buying an organic green algae powder I had been using daily for years and THAT is saying something.

You will worry much less about the effects of GMO's.....and I bless it all.

lightwalker
    I just got one two weeks ago! Not as good as a $300 slow juicer, but still incredibly helpful for making healthy eating fun and convenient. But still, blend organics
    I can vouch that the nutribullet is indeed quite a helpful and useful tool, plus the blend process releases enzymes that cooking kills. Excellent way to get more from your veggies.

And I agree, GMO or not, always bless your food and ask your body to utilize it to the fullest.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

angienader (25th June 2013), northstar (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member 4Talismans's Avatar
    Thanks

I eat a mostly GMO free diet. It's not so hard really. As others have pointed out, buy organic and avoid processed foods. I"m also a vegetarian which makes it even easier. I juice as well, and I absolutely love the sustained energy I get from my green drinks. I'm old and tired so I notice LOL!
    Editing to say that we buy our water from a local store which has a culligan water system. We buy plastic jugs and reuse them many many times, we just go and fill them back up. Fluoride may not be the worst thing in your water. You can check your local water supply at ewg.org .
    Last edited by 4Talismans; 25th June 2013 at 04:01.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4Talismans For This Post:

angienader (25th June 2013), Holly Lindin (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 4Talismans (here)
    I eat a mostly GMO free diet. It's not so hard really. As others have pointed out, buy organic and avoid processed foods. I"m also a vegetarian which makes it even easier. I juice as well, and I absolutely love the sustained energy I get from my green drinks. I'm old and tired so I notice LOL!
    Editing to say that we buy our water from a local store which has a culligan water system. We buy plastic jugs and reuse them many many times, we just go and fill them back up. Fluoride may not be the worst thing in your water. You can check your local water supply at ewg.org .
    Fluoride is pretty bad, but natural vs whatever crap they add is a bit different --- as well the quantities. Minute natural amounts are not the issue, its the large amounts in extremely toxic and corrosive forms that are, along with high chlorine concentrations in most city water. Boiling rids chlorine but concentrates fluoride ... a catch 22 almost ... soda "pop" and colas is the worst fluoride offender -- utilizing heavily processed city water for manufacturing (live right close to a Coke plant and have a friend who used to work there -- all city water used) - which concentrates the fluoride. Like the sugar wasn't bad enough ...

Happy to hear your about your diet! I agree, it's not that hard to make some decision, just getting it done is the hard part.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

angienader (25th June 2013), Holly Lindin (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,140 times in 1,005 posts

Our family has been eating nearly 100% organic for a couple of years now. It is expensive, and we do have to make sacrifices to do it...but I believe it is worth it. One of the most important things that we do is not to buy prepared food...only wholefood. It takes more time of course, but it is a nice thing to do and feels good on many levels.

This weekend we invited our neighbour over (who has just been diagnosed with diverticulitis) and my husband spent the afternoon giving a lesson in fermenting...it was a like a cooking show and so much got done! The next day me and my four year old made a some bread (the life changing bread by Sarah Britton)..it is really easy and yummy and gluten free (usually Tom does 2 organic spelt sourdough loaves on the weekend).

For us the changes were gradual, and were more than just a change in diet and purchasing habits... it really is a whole new approach to life...reclaiming our roots. Personally I love learning how to do things myself. The system has tried to remove us from all the old knowledge and make us dependent on it for survival...so it is empowering to re-learn the things that were basic living skills for our ancestors.

Just feels so much better than tossing a GMO frozen dinner in the microwave
    Last edited by enfoldedblue; 25th June 2013 at 04:27.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to enfoldedblue For This Post:

angienader (25th June 2013), AnnOther (25th June 2013), chocolate (25th June 2013), Holly Lindin (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), thunder24 (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

23. Link to Post #12
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,764 times in 987 posts

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CdnSirian For This Post:

angienader (25th June 2013), AnnOther (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

25. Link to Post #13
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

calcium flouride good.........sodium flouride bad?

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Fluoride is pretty bad, but natural vs whatever crap they add is a bit different --- as well the quantities. Minute natural amounts are not the issue, its the large amounts in extremely toxic and corrosive forms that are, along with high chlorine concentrations in most city water. Boiling rids chlorine but concentrates fluoride ... a catch 22 almost ... soda "pop" and colas is the worst fluoride offender -- utilizing heavily processed city water for manufacturing (live right close to a Coke plant and have a friend who used to work there -- all city water used) - which concentrates the fluoride. Like the sugar wasn't bad enough ...

Happy to hear your about your diet! I agree, it's not that hard to make some decision, just getting it done is the hard part.
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

angienader (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013)

27. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 2,838 posts

cleansing and fasting help me.counters my some time stupid food choices. good thread.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

angienader (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 times in 812 posts

angienader welcome to the forum! It is packed with useful information. Particularly on this subject.
    What you are now embarking on is the pathway to health. Don't turn back! Not only will you gain better health you will also learn all about food and what it really takes to grow it, harvest it and cook it!

Enjoy your path to health!
    Why not now?

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

angienader (25th June 2013), Conchis (25th June 2013), Holly Lindin (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Thank you all so much for advice and experiences! I went shopping tonight. And the grocery bill was only almost the same. I'm really excited about this and hope that I don't give into laziness

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to angienader For This Post:

Holly Lindin (25th June 2013), nomadguy (29th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

33. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member AnnOther's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lightwalker (here)
    I got a nutribullet 6 weeks ago.....the best thing I've done since giving up wheat.....and so friggin easy to do. Look it up,
    I just got one two weeks ago! Not as good as a $300 slow juicer.
    I think you made a GREAT decision to get a nutribullet instead of a juicer, because you lose too much fiber with a juicer.
    I invested in a VitaMix -- pretty expensive, but worth it, in my opinion.
    It's so powerful you can grind up seeds into your green shakes...
    just add veggies, fruit, seeds, water/hemp or almond milk, and blend for a complete meal.

....now if I could only stay away from my cheats, which include wheat!!! (unless you eat the grain itself, I'm talking a processed food)
    I'm sure my health would improve even more.
    AND, my cheating is preventing my starch cravings from disappearing completely.....
    food addiction is a difficult one to change, but I'm working on it.
    SO worth it to avoid GMO's!

thanks to all, for the other side of the equation, that I hadn't remembered: city water......
    I have a great water filter, but I know it doesn't remove fluoride.
    Is there any way to get that out of your water?

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AnnOther For This Post:

DeDukshyn (26th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

35. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thunder24 (here)
    calcium flouride good.........sodium flouride bad?

No idea. My point is more along the lines of: trace amounts in spring water = "don't worry" vs the stuff added to the highest source point of all water for entire municipalities.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), thunder24 (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

37. Link to Post #19
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 times in 356 posts

Quote Posted by enfoldedblue (here)
    The next day me and my four year old made a some bread (the life changing bread by Sarah Britton)..it is really easy and yummy and gluten free
    Found the recipe - Just what I needed!

I had just succumbed to two slices of store bought, non-organic bread...

In the last months it has become very apparent to me how food affects my well being.

I have eaten organic, non GMO for many years. But it wasn´t until I quit wheat, dairy and began eating alot of raw food, and super foods that I realized how much easier it was for me to remain "connected" through out the day.

Although after a couple of months I began eating a little dairy and wheat again...

Anyway, heres my favorite quick raw food chocolate lunch ( organic and non GMO )

1 avocado, 1 banana, a couple of tbls raw coconut oil, raw cacoa power, chlorella, maca, some raw honey, and soaked chia seeds. Mix with a mixer. Absolutely delicious.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swan For This Post:

Holly Lindin (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

39. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member Conchis's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 times in 273 posts

My wife and I just started (1 month ago) eating mostly (80% or so) raw. We gave up wheat and dairy altogether. We eat eggs because they are our own, so we know for a fact that they are all organic. I can't tell you what a difference it has made in the way we feel. We've lost a few pounds, but that is minor. We are so much clearer mentally. We feel so much more positive and lighter. You'll thank yourself for your decision. I only took us a few days to start noticing the difference. If you're interested in a "cookbook" (sounds funny when you're talking about raw food)..... I like Ani's Raw Foods Essentials. Good luck!

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Conchis For This Post:

Eram (25th June 2013), Holly Lindin (25th June 2013), Positive Vibe Merchant (25th June 2013), RunningDeer (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (25th June 2013), Swan (25th June 2013), william r sanford72 (25th June 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast