1. Link to Post #1
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,877 times in 1,034 posts

Default First real picture of black hole revealed

Image of supermassive black hole at centre of Milky Way

More: https://news.sky.com/story/live-firs...ealed-11689502

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

anandacate (10th April 2019), Arak (10th April 2019), Baby Steps (10th April 2019), Chip (10th April 2019), Constance (10th April 2019), DeDukshyn (10th April 2019), GMB1961 (10th April 2019), Innocent Warrior (11th April 2019), Islander12 (10th April 2019), jebrenham (10th April 2019), Star Tsar (10th April 2019), Sunny-side-up (10th April 2019), Swan (10th April 2019), toppy (12th April 2019), Valerie Villars (10th April 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,691 times in 13,806 posts

Default Re: First real picture of black hole revealed

Here is a stream of press conference revealing the news...

Quote Posted by Star Tsar (here)
    Deep Astronomy

Space Fan News | Event Horizon Telescope First Results

Streamed & Published 10th April 2019

Tony shares the first results from the worldwide collaboration of telescopes known as the Event Horizon Telescope will be live streamed here.

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Constance (10th April 2019), Did You See Them (11th April 2019), toppy (12th April 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,029 times in 786 posts

But is it really a black hole?....Electric Universe theory does not allow for a "black hole".......
    Am waiting for them to weigh i so all perspectives are on the table for consideration

"Black holes cannot be directly seen, but astrophysicists continue to maintain that they exist because of their putative effects. They assume that matter can accelerate and compress until it is “spaghettified”, or stretched, whereupon it is torn apart and reconfigured by intense gravity fields.

Almost all (more than 95%) of galaxies are thought by astronomers to be home to one or more black holes. Since matter spins around a black hole at extreme velocities, consensus opinions state that it heats up from friction, generating X-rays and ultraviolet light. It is those emissions that are interpreted as indirect evidence for black holes.
    Previous Pictures of the Day take issue with that model. The terminology, itself, is highly speculative and ambiguous. To say that X-rays and ultraviolet light are created in gravity fields is to betray an ignorance. Experiments in the laboratory create those energies by accelerating charged particles in an electric field.
    Con't in article

https://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/201...-holes-matter/

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Did You See Them (11th April 2019), panpravda (11th April 2019), shaberon (16th April 2019), Star Tsar (14th April 2019), toppy (12th April 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,971 times in 1,706 posts

How difficult would it be to 'photoshop' such an image?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Did You See Them (11th April 2019), KiwiElf (10th April 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Quote Posted by DaveToo (here)
    Not too difficult, would take a fair few hours tho! (It's how they do it in TV/movies)
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 10th April 2019 at 20:32.

10. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)
    Not too difficult, would take a fair few hours tho! (It's how they do it in TV/movies)

Thanks. I ask, given some of the sponsors of this photo; NASA and the National Science Foundation and what they stand to gain from such a discovery of something that is 50 million light-years from Earth.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Did You See Them (11th April 2019), KiwiElf (11th April 2019)

12. Link to Post #7
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,189 times in 1,661 posts

just today on Germain mainstream media (radio) was this announced-

I just think this must be ancient news; for how long has this info been known?

Larry

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Did You See Them (11th April 2019), yelik (11th April 2019)

14. Link to Post #8
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cardillac (here)
    just today on Germain mainstream media (radio) was this announced-

I just think this must be ancient news; for how long has this info been known?

Larry
    The info about black holes is ancient.
    The photo of one is supposed to be new.

Dates I will never forget in my life:

- July 20, 1969 First manned mission to land on the moon (brought to you by NASA).
    - April 10, 2019 First photo of black hole released to the public (brought to you by NASA).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Did You See Them (11th April 2019), Star Tsar (14th April 2019)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 times in 806 posts

Mainstream astronomers have been scam artists for a century!
    For free society!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

conk (11th April 2019), Did You See Them (11th April 2019), panpravda (11th April 2019), Star Tsar (14th April 2019)

18. Link to Post #10
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,877 times in 1,034 posts

I was ( still am ) a member of an Astronomy forum back in 2008 when I had a sighting.
    I thought ( as you would ) that other forum members there would want to discuss - and at that time I was very open to it being a natural unknown phenomenon although I had difficulties really believing that.
    The abuse they levelled at me for even daring to suggest anything related to ufo's, aliens etc was staggering.
    I learned a lesson that day about so called "intelligent discussion" with blinkered academics !

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Baby Steps (11th April 2019), Star Tsar (14th April 2019), toppy (12th April 2019), Valerie Villars (11th April 2019)

20. Link to Post #11
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

This young woman (Katie Bouman) enthusiastically explains how pictures of black holes are constructed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7n2rYt9wfU

You can see their 2016 black hole image at 12:22.

It's funny how more than two years ago they were able to construct a picture of a black hole that looks eerily similar to the "First real picture of a black hole" released yesterday.

Compare the image at 12:22 with the one released yesterday:

https://twitter.com/ehtelescope/stat...019328/photo/1

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Did You See Them (14th April 2019), Star Tsar (14th April 2019), toppy (12th April 2019)

22. Link to Post #12
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hughe (here)
    Mainstream astronomers have been scam artists for a century!
    Do you imply that the pic of the black hole is a scam and that black holes in reality don't exist, or they do, but there is no way to capture an image of them?

23. Link to Post #13
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,898 times in 15,481 posts

... better than Photoshop: AutoCAD... computer generated graphics modelling their most recent theoretical equations of what a black hole should be/look like....

From Jim Stone:
    Black hole pictured: Non-story

No black hole was pictured. The image going around the web and even made part of the Google doodle was not an optical telescopic photo of a black hole, it was instead the result of a math equation applied to data. This type of stuff has been done for years. Non story as far as I see it. When they actually photograph a black hole for real, I'll take notice.

"La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

avid (11th April 2019), Baby Steps (11th April 2019), Chip (11th April 2019), Did You See Them (11th April 2019), Ernie Nemeth (11th April 2019), meeradas (11th April 2019), Sophocles (11th April 2019), Star Tsar (14th April 2019), Valerie Villars (11th April 2019)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

The evidence could no longer be denied.

Good morning, Heavenly Father. Here's your breakfast...

Where's my donut?

Oh, right here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	black_hole.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	40436

26. Link to Post #15
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)

... better than Photoshop: AutoCAD... computer generated graphics modelling their most recent theoretical equations of what a black hole should be/look like....
    I'm all ears and eyes for this story Herve.

As I posted above, Katie Bouman explained how pictures of black holes are constructed, much to my surprise.

The problem, according to Ms. Bouman, is that the 'black holes' are so far away from Earth (50 million light years) that it would need a telescope the size of the Earth to see them.

So the clever scientists have devised a way to circumvent building a telescope of that size.
    The details are explained in the above cited video.

One of the problems I have with the technique is that the long-awaited photo of the black hole looks indistinguishable from the image they released more than two years ago.
    What a coincidence.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Chip (11th April 2019), DeDukshyn (11th April 2019), Did You See Them (14th April 2019), Hervé (11th April 2019)

28. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Thanks. I ask, given some of the sponsors of this photo; NASA and the National Science Foundation and what they stand to gain from such a discovery of something that is 50 million light-years from Earth.
    They gain their salary and their pensions and accolades from other scientists who do the same. Quite a cushy life for some.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

DaveToo (11th April 2019), Did You See Them (14th April 2019)

30. Link to Post #17
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,610 times in 5,381 posts

This is just hype. The picture, as Herve, of course, already mentioned, is a composite amalgamation of assumed missing data. Just like the brain fills in the gaps in the human retinal image, where arteries and veins obscure the rods and cones with which we see...

And a black hole is just that - black. If there even is such an object.
    Last edited by Ernie Nemeth; 11th April 2019 at 21:52.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Baby Steps (11th April 2019)

32. Link to Post #18
    Great Britain Avalon Member Baby Steps's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,727 times in 1,526 posts

We see the doughnut of hot plasma or other very energized material orbiting...what?

It must be massive, and exert a huge gravitational pull. OK.

But also remember what observation over many years shows. The further out you look - backwards into the past - the smaller the galaxies are. They start, at the outer limits of our observation, as the super bright quasar objects, and as they age they GROW. The biggest ones are those closest to us.

Galaxies grow. The objects in the middle, are , on a net basis, not consuming them, rather more likely building them.

New Scientist:

If you think black holes are strange, white holes will blow your mind.

Quote NEVER trust the textbooks, even the ones written by great scientists. In his celebrated 1972 tome Gravitation and Cosmology, Nobel prizewinning physicist Steven Weinberg called the existence of black holes “very hypothetical”, writing that “there is no [black hole] in the gravitational field of any known object of the universe”. He was dead wrong. Radio astronomers had already been detecting signals from matter falling into black holes for decades without realising. Today we have lots of evidence that the sky is teeming with them.

The story may now be repeating itself with white holes, which are essentially black holes in reverse. In another renowned textbook, the world-leading relativity theorist Bob Wald wrote that “there is no reason to believe that any region of the universe corresponds to” a white hole – and this is still the dominant opinion today. But several research groups around the world, including my group in Marseille, have recently begun to investigate the possibility that quantum mechanics could open a channel for these white holes to form. The sky might be teeming with white holes, too.

The reason to suspect white holes exist is that they could solve an open mystery: what goes on at the centre of a black hole. We see great amounts of matter spiralling around black holes and then falling in. All this falling matter crosses the surface of the hole, the “horizon” or point of no return, plummets towards the centre, and then? Nobody knows.
    Last edited by Baby Steps; 11th April 2019 at 22:01.
    we have subcontracted the business of healing people to Companies who profit from sickness.

33. Link to Post #19
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,452 times in 8,541 posts

This imaged involved all the major telescopes on earth and their crews to make - it wasn't a "NASA" project - NASA is publishing the image. That image could be made easily with a photo editor. Getting all the major observatories in the world together to "fake" such an event would be next to impossible to pull off.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by CurEus (here)
    But is it really a black hole?....Electric Universe theory does not allow for a "black hole".......
    The phenomenon has been labelled as a "black hole" so that is what it is called. What they really are and how they really work is still 99% a mystery. Scientists generally have a fair bit of pride and arrogance and pretend they know more know than they do.

So the way I see it, the Electric Universe theory still fits with the phenomenon we have labelled "black holes".
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 11th April 2019 at 23:25.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Hervé (11th April 2019), panpravda (18th April 2019), PurpleLama (14th April 2019)

35. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)

From Jim Stone:
    Black hole pictured: Non-story

No black hole was pictured. The image going around the web and even made part of the Google doodle was not an optical telescopic photo of a black hole, it was instead the result of a math equation applied to data. This type of stuff has been done for years. Non story as far as I see it. When they actually photograph a black hole for real, I'll take notice.

No math equation was in reality involved, just an algorithm necessary to put together the enormous amount of acquired data. There are various comparisons indicating that taking a pic of the M87 black hole is virtually impossible.

Doeleman calls the feat the “equivalent of being able to read the date on a quarter in LA when we’re standing here in Washington, D.C.”

In order to take a meaningful snapshot of that black hole, astronomers would have to use a telescope about 10,000 km in diameter, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you can use different telescopes positioned around the globe. The drawback is that you need to develop a very clever method how to put the image together.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast