+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 7 14 LastLast

Thread: US Government shutdown, Tuesday Oct 1, 2013

1. Link to Post #121
    Australia Avalon Member bennycog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 times in 971 posts

Default Re: US Government shutdown, Tuesday Oct 1, 2013

Sorry I have not been on in awhile.. I have been working my fingers to the bone..
    Who knows which outcome is going to come from this.
    From being able to continue living on debt for the world to new currency or some form of default followed by war.. or from revolt and invasion from other country to finding resolve amongst every American standing together..
    It is already effecting everything by the drop in the gold price. Right now if anybody holds a job you should take a pay cut if asked just so you can keep that job.
    You are going to be the lucky ones..
    interesting article on RT right here..
    im sure there are more than 10 ways..

http://rt.com/usa/us-government-shutdown-effects-550/

1 Countdown to US default looms

A halt of US government operations would drag the world’s biggest economy closer to bankruptcy, something unprecedented in US history. If no budget deal is done, the US would bump up against their “debt ceiling” and run out of money by October 17. By then, the US government would have less than $30 billion cash on hand, Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew has calculated.

2 Hundreds of thousands of federal employees on furlough

A one-time layoff of 800,000 people working for the US government would erode the earlier projected economic growth of 2.5 percent for the fourth quarter of 2013 by about 0.32 percentage points, according to a forecast by Mark Zandi, chief economist and co-founder of Moody's Analytics. That projection assumes a two-week shutdown. If it drags into a whole month, the loss of GDP would rise to 1.4 percentage points.

3 Troops’ paychecks stopped

About 1.4 million military active-duty personnel would keep on working, but with their paychecks delayed. Approval for troops’ paychecks is dependent on Obama’s proposed 2014 federal budget being passed by Congress.

4 Women and children’s nutrition program threatened

Pregnant women and new moms who are poor and facing “nutrition risk” won’t be able to buy healthy food, as a looming shutdown would put bracers on the $6 billion Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women Infants and Children (WIC).

5 $85 billion in cuts to federal programs

When a shutdown was last threatened in March 2013, it would have resulted in $85 billion in automatic cuts in spending on federal programs – many aimed at alleviating social hardship. The cuts, known as sequestration, would affect grants to local organizations and funds that keep those programs running.

6 Housing loans halted

US federal programs that provide for about 30 percent of all new loans in the housing market – a backbone of the country’s economy – will be shut down. Government funding of new businesses will also be halted, as well as workplace health and safety inspections.

7 Trade talks scuppered?

US plans to have a Pacific trade deal, the Trans Pacific Partnership, signed with the US’s Asian partners could stall, as Obama may decide not to travel to this weekend’s Bali, Indonesia meeting of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation nations. While he could still go if no deal is done by then, it could be a gift for his Republican opponents if Obama was seen to be jetting off to a tropical paradise at a time when federal employees were sent home without pay.

8 Visa delays likely

Thousands of Americans may not be able to get passports for foreign travel, and tourists travelling to the US will likely face delays in visa processing. During the last government shutdown in 1996-97, some 20,000-30,000 applications remained unprocessed daily.

9 Space program on hold

Space agency NASA will be hit the most, as the agency will need to furlough about 97 percent of its employees, though it will continue to keep workers at Mission Control in Houston and elsewhere to support the International Space Station, where the two NASA astronauts currently on board, Michael Hopkins and Karen Nyberg, may not know whether they have jobs to come back to.

10 National parks, museums and zoos would close to the public

State-funded museums, art galleries and zoos across the country would keep their doors closed Tuesday, leaving thousands of employees furloughed and visitors unable to see attractions. US national parks, from Yosemite to the Shenandoahs, as well as Washington’s National Mall, Lincoln Memorial and Constitution Gardens, would also be closed.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bennycog For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (3rd October 2013), fifi (3rd October 2013), RunningDeer (3rd October 2013), sandy (5th October 2013)

3. Link to Post #122
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 times in 818 posts

Our murderer in chief is going to visit his real bosses for money.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/obama-m...us-law/5352631

4. Link to Post #123
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 times in 318 posts

Video at the link below - Obama's comments on the matter in a long address to a Maryland construction company.

Damn he's good.

Anyone care to comment on those that claim he is some kind of light warrior, working from within the system to effect change. Not that threatening to drop bombs on Syria recently really lent credence to the notion I know, but ever hopeful.

http://www.breakingnews.com/topic/barack-obama

5. Link to Post #124
    Greece Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 times in 519 posts

well i got an intense thought about this today the moment i read the new capitol attack.

Try to connect the dots ... they fake the gov shutdown. They closed what they thought was not needed or what they thought will make an effect on the people (memorials).

The attack, the memorials, the weird comments about laying off people ... i think they are trying to shutdown what they want and keep it shutdown. This is the start that might change the USA Gov and how it works ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Etherios For This Post:

donk (4th October 2013), Rocky_Shorz (4th October 2013)

7. Link to Post #125
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,921 times in 4,417 posts

Gee, what a coincidence. They ran out of money. Then they shut down what they can, the very same day that they begin raping people financially, via the healthcare scam. The rates fo this BS insurance are unbelievable with even more unbelievable deductables.

I am sorry to say it outloud but when are the people going to stand up and say NO. OH yeah, AND the very timing when ISON needs to be watched, but can't because NASA is shut down too. Convenient.

Seriously, how much more BS are we suppose to take sitting down.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

4evrneo (8th October 2013), bennycog (3rd October 2013), donk (3rd October 2013), lizfrench (4th October 2013), Rocky_Shorz (4th October 2013), Team Zen (5th October 2013)

9. Link to Post #126
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,349 times in 2,716 posts

Quote Posted by Sidney (here)
    Gee, what a coincidence. They ran out of money. Then they shut down what they can, the very same day that they begin raping people financially, via the healthcare scam. The rates fo this BS insurance are unbelievable with even more unbelievable deductables.

I am sorry to say it outloud but when are the people going to stand up and say NO. OH yeah, AND the very timing when ISON needs to be watched, but can't because NASA is shut down too. Convenient.

Seriously, how much more BS are we suppose to take sitting down.
    I feel you sid, though I am reminded of the first time my ex told me she hadn't been paying the bills--it took several days to compute--I can't even begin to imagine the emotions, sure I repressed it, remember it being really the strangest feeling I ever had--a huge denial I had, shattered. I didn't even understand what it meant, let alone allow myself to think it was possible

It was like when years later I told a friend she was living at the house, even though we hadn't paid mortgage for 18 months. She didn't believe it, couldn't comprehend. How can you live in a foreclosed house? I tried to explain a force field didn't go up or anything--and the bank had more important priorities than our sh1tty underwater house, but she stared at me blankly, could not compute, but probably didn't have to. We got into a fight about something and she never had to think about it again (yet)

We are so programmed to the money paradigm, most won't even cope if there's some kind of catastrophe. I consider myself of at least average intelligence & ability to see reality, yet the programming had me clinging to my victimhood/need for the system. Somebody did a good of making us feel like there is no other way of life than the almighty ECONOMY and it's precious MONEY...

10. Link to Post #127
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,405 times in 1,922 posts

All of this is absolutely none sense. The hard right Republican Congressmen will be forced to give up their position as other moderate Republicans see the writing on the wall and agree to fund the government.

In the long run, this is disastrous for the Republican Party, as they will be looked at as buffoons by most—the majority—of the U.S. citizens. Senator Cruz will try for the Presidency and will be quickly counted out. People will recognize that his hardball tactics do not work in a political atmosphere that requires compromise.
    Last edited by Camilo; 3rd October 2013 at 22:22.

11. Link to Post #128
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 times in 818 posts

Quote Posted by Camilo (here)
    All of this is absolutely none sense. The hard right Republican Congressmen will be forced to give up their position as other moderate Republicans see the writing on the wall and agree to fund the government.

In the long run, this is disastrous for the Republican Party, as they will be looked at as buffoons by most—the majority—of the U.S. citizens. Senator Cruz will try for the Presidency and will be quickly counted out. People will recognize that his hardball tactics do not work in a political atmosphere that requires compromise.
    You really think so? It seems to me that the Republican's are the only ones trying and the President and Mr Reid are saying noway. But it is all nonsense. Earlier today Reid and Boehner met to see how they can keep there special subsidies in healthcare.

http://benswann.com/breaking-john-bo...are-subsidies/

I really hope this is the end of both parties, but with over 125 million morons that vote in this country, i don't hold much hope. I hear Uruguay is nice and still has some freedoms left.

12. Link to Post #129
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by ulli (here)
    Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    still on unpaid vacation.... go government!
    So what is your back-up plan, Target?
    Will you manage ok?
    Depends on how long it goes for, I'm fine for now & I can't imagine this lasting longer than Monday (or at least I hope...).

certainly seems like both parties are taking a "hard" position on this and backing down for either is probably looked on poorly by party strategists.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

donk (4th October 2013), sandy (5th October 2013), ulli (4th October 2013)

14. Link to Post #130
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,040 times in 8,169 posts

Will you manage ok?
    Depends on how long it goes for, I'm fine for now & I can't imagine this lasting longer than Monday (or at least I hope...).

certainly seems like both parties are taking a "hard" position on this and backing down for either is probably looked on poorly by party strategists.

We'd better start calling this an experiment then.

So, what's the main scientific advantages of it ?
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

4evrneo (8th October 2013), donk (4th October 2013)

16. Link to Post #131
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Will you manage ok?

I'm not so sure I follow, advantages of the shut down or of not backing down?
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

donk (4th October 2013)

18. Link to Post #132
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

News Anchor has a great rant and proposes a solution:

-- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

bennycog (4th October 2013), fifi (5th October 2013), RMorgan (4th October 2013), ulli (4th October 2013)

20. Link to Post #133
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

You are not alone....

-- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

4evrneo (8th October 2013), Ba-ba-Ra (4th October 2013), bennycog (4th October 2013), donk (4th October 2013), fifi (5th October 2013), Limor Wolf (4th October 2013), PurpleLama (4th October 2013), RunningDeer (6th October 2013), sandy (5th October 2013), TargeT (4th October 2013), ulli (4th October 2013)

22. Link to Post #134
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,847 times in 715 posts

Default Shutdown Doublespeak

Peter Klein on Shutdown Doublespeak

23. Link to Post #135
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,349 times in 2,716 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Will you manage ok?

I'm not so sure I follow, advantages of the shut down or of not backing down?
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the shutdown is a sociological experiment, in the typical problem-reaction-solution vain. My question is it the "solution" (gov being broke would be "problem", congress recognizing it being the "reaction")...or is the shutdown the problem, and they are still guaging our reaction to decide which solution to implement?

24. Link to Post #136
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,921 times in 4,417 posts

One good thing has come out of the shutdown. (FWIW)- Federal parks are closed for the opening of hunting season. GO BAMBI

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

4evrneo (8th October 2013), Abhaya (4th October 2013), eaglespirit (4th October 2013), Gardener (8th October 2013), Lettherebelight (5th October 2013), RunningDeer (6th October 2013), sandy (5th October 2013)

26. Link to Post #137
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,525 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by donk (here)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the shutdown is a sociological experiment, in the typical problem-reaction-solution vain. My question is it the "solution" (gov being broke would be "problem", congress recognizing it being the "reaction")...or is the shutdown the problem, and they are still guaging our reaction to decide which solution to implement?
    You could be right. It feels just a little as if it could be the first pawn move (a chess analogy) in a ten-moves-to-checkmate plan that is REALLY hard to see through. I do NOT know what the rest of the moves are, or how the checkmate is planned to happen.

The chess analogy may be quite a good one. Chess grandmasters implement brilliant strategies that are designed to work pretty much no matter what their opponent does (unless they can see at an early enough stage EXACTLY what is the plan is).

27. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

4evrneo (8th October 2013), donk (4th October 2013), eaglespirit (4th October 2013), lastlegs (4th October 2013), Lettherebelight (5th October 2013), M6* (18th October 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (4th October 2013), RunningDeer (6th October 2013), sandy (5th October 2013), Sidney (5th October 2013), soulsinger (7th October 2013), Team Zen (5th October 2013)

28. Link to Post #138
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    The chess analogy may be quite a good one. Chess grandmasters implement brilliant strategies that are designed to work pretty much no matter what their opponent does (unless they can see at an early enough stage EXACTLY what is the plan is).
    I suspect this is a multi-dimensional chess game with many different players and agendas. The influence probably ranges from being very low key to outright demanding.

After a few moves we should have a better idea of what may become a short term outcome.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

donk (4th October 2013), Gardener (8th October 2013), M6* (18th October 2013), RunningDeer (6th October 2013), Wind (5th October 2013)

30. Link to Post #139
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Unhappy Re: US Government shutdown, Tuesday Oct 1, 2013

“We’ve been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It’s disgusting.”

The cheap tricks of the game

31. Link to Post #140
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by donk (here)

You could be right. It feels just a little as if it could be the first pawn move (a chess analogy) in a ten-moves-to-checkmate plan that is REALLY hard to see through. I do NOT know what the rest of the moves are, or how the checkmate is planned to happen.

Lots of rumors pointing to November/December catastrophe... some astrological reasons for it too; I could see this being the camels nose under the tent...

I don't watch TV, not even when my job is in the balance, but the rumors I hear are possible resolution by early next week... seems too short to me if that's the case (unless the desired metrics have already been gathered).

:shrug:
    Where are you?

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

4evrneo (8th October 2013), bennycog (5th October 2013), donk (5th October 2013), M6* (18th October 2013), RunningDeer (6th October 2013), ThePythonicCow (5th October 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 7 14 LastLast