+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Edward Snowden BBC interview: 'Smartphones can be taken over'

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,930 times in 428 posts

Default Re: Edward Snowden BBC interview: 'Smartphones can be taken over'

We ourselves created a problem consigning too much importance to smart phones and similar toys. Some people have their entire lives moved and relied to a piece of device.
    We allowed ourselves too much dependence on baby soother/pacifier and now when they want to take it away, we will cry..
    Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Bubu (6th October 2015), Cidersomerset (6th October 2015), Selene (6th October 2015)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks

This supports exactly what Henry Deacon said in his Project Camelot interview and adds credibility to his story. To refresh, he said "the only way to stop your mobile being used to spy on you is to remove the battery" if I remember correctly.

Also beware of your Smart televisions a reported quote from Samsung’s terms and conditions says it all: “Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition.”

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EarthMan For This Post:

Cidersomerset (6th October 2015), Selene (6th October 2015), silverfish (7th October 2015)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,637 times in 18,693 posts

Article from the headline page.....

Snowden: GCHQ Can Secretly Take ‘Total Control’ Over Your Smartphone

By David Icke on 6th October 2015 Big Brother

SPUTNICK NEWS.....

Europe
    22:32 05.10.2015(updated 01:49 06.10.2015)

‘British intelligence agency Government Communications Headquarters can take
    “total control” of a smartphone without its user’s knowledge, said former NSA
    contractor turned whistleblower Edward Snowden.

Snowden told the BBC’s Panorama that GCHQ could gain access to a handset by
    sending it an encrypted text message and use it for such things as taking pictures
    and listening in.

Both the GCHQ and NSA have invested heavily in technology allowing them to hack
    smartphones, he added, saying the agencies “want to own your phone instead of you.”

GCHQ controls phones using the agency’s “Smurf Suite,” a collection of secret
    intercept capabilities individually named after the tiny blue cartoon characters.’

Read more: Snowden: GCHQ Can Secretly Take ‘Total Control’ Over Your Smartphone

http://sputniknews.com/europe/201510...phone-nsa.html

6. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,637 times in 18,693 posts

Its only relatively recently , a decade or so that I have embraced some of
    this technology. But I'm a dinosaur compared to the younger generation
    coming into this reality. Like most of us I dreamed of living in the 'Star Trek'
    universe or similar 'utopian' future. But as we have seen and experienced
    thru age , its a double edged sword that could also bring forth a 'Hunger Games'
    or terminator style dystopian future.......

Not sure when this was made but even the concepts they are discussing are
    being developed.

Star Trek Gadgets and Technology Documentary | Fact or Myth | Geographic TV

Published on 26 Aug 2015
    Star Trek Gadgets and Technology Documentary | Fact or Myth | Geographic TV.

===============================================

As today's children are practically born digital, it comes as no surprise that this
    generation is the most tech-savvy yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

================================================

Thomas Suarez: A 12-year-old app developer

Published on 24 Oct 2012

Most 12-year-olds love playing videogames -- Thomas Suarez taught
    himself how to create them. After developing iPhone apps like
    "Bustin Jeiber," a whack-a-mole game, he is now using his skills to
    help other kids become developers. (Filmed at TEDxManhattanBeach.)

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances
    from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and
    doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks
    on Technology, Entertainment and Design -- plus science, business,
    global issues, the arts and much more.
    Find closed captions and translated subtitles in many languages at http://www.ted.com/translate

============================================

17-year-old sells app to Yahoo! for $30 million

Published on 28 Mar 2013
    Nick D'Aloisio shares the story around his app. "Summly," which was
    recently purchased by Yahoo! For more CNN videos, visit our site at http://www.cnn.com/video/

=============================================

Back to Star Trek .....

5 Star Trek Gadgets That Became Real | What the Stuff?!

Published on 2 Feb 2015

Jonathan dishes out some Star Trek tech that exists today. Live long and prosper!

10 Star Trek Technologies That Actually Came True:
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/...
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 6th October 2015 at 11:25.

7. Link to Post #25
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

Quote Posted by Citizen No2 (here)
    Removing the battery is pointless as a security measure.

A wireless signal can be beamed to your phone to power it if the battery is either flat or removed. If you are so minded, you need to remove the battery and the chip when not in use. The older, non-net-connectable phones, are a safer bet if you have security on your mind. These can be cell-sited to within 500 mtrs of the nearest tower......... so puts you in an approximate area. It is when all the other meta-data is added to the picture, i.e. cctv footage, bank cards, travel cards, etc, etc, that the observer builds a full suite of information on your movements, contacts and purchases. The meta-facts.

And as we all should know, meta-facts can be used to support whatever scenario suits the observer.

Regards.
    wow !!!! you mean the energy beam can also find the positive and the negative terminals..... Nikola Tesla transmits power through the air but its not the kind that electrocutes otherwise we will all be roasted
    Last edited by Bubu; 6th October 2015 at 10:53.

8. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,304 times in 950 posts

FYI : Although not directly related to the specific context of this thread the following two 'news' articles (6th Oct) do relate to the 'fall-out' from Snowden's revelations in general IMO.

Independent UK : European court rules 'Safe Harbour' treaty that saw Facebook hand over user data to US is invalid, after challenge by student

Quote : "The European Court of Justice *may* have put an end to a deal that allowed Facebook to share data on its users with US spy officials".

BBC News : Facebook data transfers threatened by Safe Harbour ruling

Quote : "The ruling was the result of a legal challenge by an Austrian privacy campaigner concerned that the social network *might* be sharing European's personal data with US cyberspies".

Oh, for what it's worth, IMO, what Snowden has done is to have forced the Intelligence Services into greater Public Accountability (i.e. accountable to us) ... although, that being said, I hold no illusions that they will do whatever they can in certain situations (irrespective of any Laws) to get the Information they want !
    Last edited by Clear Light; 6th October 2015 at 12:18. Reason: Clarification re Publically Accountable

9. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Since so many people complained the refugees are rather terrorists in disguise and they all carry smartphones - everything is under control.
    Thanks to Snowden and BBC and blue beings: smurfs.

10. Link to Post #28
    Switzerland Avalon Member Helvetic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,461 times in 3,209 posts

This makes it a little bit harder for them to crack your phone.

"Earth is currently restricted today for normal development of timeline progress. With us telling you everything would change everything."

11. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,741 times in 1,499 posts

A wireless signal can be beamed to your phone to power it if the battery is either flat or removed. If you are so minded, you need to remove the battery and the chip when not in use. The older, non-net-connectable phones, are a safer bet if you have security on your mind. These can be cell-sited to within 500 mtrs of the nearest tower......... so puts you in an approximate area. It is when all the other meta-data is added to the picture, i.e. cctv footage, bank cards, travel cards, etc, etc, that the observer builds a full suite of information on your movements, contacts and purchases. The meta-facts.

And as we all should know, meta-facts can be used to support whatever scenario suits the observer.

Regards.
    As an RF engineer of over 30 years, I'm not at all convinced about this operating a phone even with no or flat battery - this information really need some technical details.

A phone isn't big enough to pick up enough energy to operate it - even partly - unless it is very close to a very strong EM source (eg: the way your electric toothbrush gets charged in the holder.) If TPTB start beaming large amounts of energy around in an already crowed EM spectrum, someone is definitely going to notice!

And in any case, there is no device in a phone that is designed to do this. It would need to be placed a strong AC field; the phone would need a pick-up coil, rectification and voltage stabilization components. Anyone familiar with the 'gibblets' of phone will tell you these items are not there, although some modern phones are constructed (or will be) to use the very close-field charging design where you drop your phone onto a pad and it charges the battery like your electric toothbrush gets charged. That's not a secret feature - it's a selling point!

The other info about switching on the microphone, finding its location I'm sure are true. But 'they' would soon get bored doing that to me, but that's not the point.

There are some interesting 10-minute TED talks describing the state's creeping surveillance ability and how we can to some extent counter it.

Incidentally, when the UK was changing from the old mechanical Strowger telephone exchanges to the all-electronic System-X exchanges in the late 1970s and into the 80s, it was no secret amongst engineers that ease of surveillance was a key requirement in the design of the new equipment. All related to ECHELON...

I'm surprised anyone should be surprised by all this.
    Last edited by Nick Matkin; 6th October 2015 at 13:13. Reason: aditional info

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Anchor (7th October 2015), Citizen No2 (6th October 2015), Ron Mauer Sr (6th October 2015), Selene (6th October 2015), T Smith (6th October 2015), ThePythonicCow (6th October 2015)

13. Link to Post #30
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,297 times in 575 posts

Good info there Nick.

I know nothing about electronics per se, all I am passing on is my own experience. My father, amongst other things, was 13 Signals for a few years and I specifically remember him telling me that no public communication system is put in place without first having the 'back door snooping' capability built in to it........ this was also confirmed by another family member. It is now easier than ever as our info is beamed from relay tower to relay tower, but I know that this is not news to most here. I do not have a smart phone or smart television, and have no intention in getting them. I am just waiting until they come knocking regarding smart meters!

It is interesting that you mention ECHELON Nick.

Ta add: Has anyone (UK) watched the programme, Hunted? If not, give it a watch on catch-up service. The techniques used to track are so, so easy in this digital age..... and that is only what they are prepared to show us on national television. Total access to all cctv systems, email and phone...... hell, last week they even cloned one of the target's mobile phone and caught him within hours of him hitting a new city.

Mind you, over stating your abilities is a powerful weapon in itself.

Regards.
    Last edited by Citizen No2; 6th October 2015 at 16:03.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Citizen No2 For This Post:

Nick Matkin (6th October 2015), ThePythonicCow (6th October 2015)

15. Link to Post #31
    Malta Avalon Member
    Thanks

Perhaps if we all became a little more psychic, we wouldn't have to use the damn things(mobile phones). That would really be the next step in our evolution

MK

16. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,079 times in 8,173 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by sandy (here)
    Not sure of the agenda of the BBC and Snowden in airing this on public media??? Is it be afraid, being very afraid!!
    I think this is a good thing. BBC's Panorama is the UK equivalent of 60 Minutes on CBS... very high profile, with heavyweight, serious reporting.

It's true that Panorama is heavyweight, but I'm more than 90% certain that I know at least one high flier who passed through the production ranks of Panorama to pop out as a big shot news anchor and general public face nowadays, who is a multi-generational MI6/secret service sleeper/operative. This is an old story in my own life that goes way back to when I believe an attempt was made to recruit me as a useful idiot/patsy during my art college days. Nearly 40 years later, the dots are falling into place.

None the less, if the public know their phones are remote controlled, I suppose that's a good thing, but I suspect the 'awareness' campaign is intended for those who are below the general threshold of personal sovereignty realisation and will absorb it only as a pacifier or psychological prison chain.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

17. The Following User Says Thank You to norman For This Post:

ThePythonicCow (6th October 2015)

18. Link to Post #33
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,438 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)

A wireless signal can be beamed to your phone to power it if the battery is either flat or removed.
    The existence of wireless power source technology does not necessarily mean to me that that technology is in the typical smart phone, and covertly usable, on a large scale.

Your statement that removing the battery is pointless suggests to me that you claiming that such wireless power technology is so ubiquitous that pretty much all smart phones can be and in practice are currently being tracked the same whether the battery is installed or not. That would surprise me ... do you have evidence that such is the case, and if so, can you share that evidence with us ?
    Hi Paul,

yes I do have evidence, both personal and anecdotal.
    Yes, I am willing to consider that phones can be powered remotely, wirelessly, without their battery in place.

My point was more subtle (or perhaps more obscure <grin>.) If such remote phone powering is only done sometimes, then there would be a point to removing one's phone battery, because perhaps remote powering was not being used on one's own phone, at that time.

My current presumption is that remote powering is not something that can be done en masse, on a billion cell phones, world wide, all the time, but rather something that requires more specialized and focused application of targeted technology. If that is the case, removing the battery at least dramatically lowers the risk of bulk data collection picking up that potential data stream.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

T Smith (6th October 2015)

20. Link to Post #34
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,438 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by Nick Matkin (here)
    As an RF engineer of over 30 years, I'm not at all convinced about this operating a phone even with no or flat battery - this information really need some technical details.
    I was willing, in my previous post just above, to consider that remote phone powering could be done.

But if I had place a bet one way or the other, I'd wager your description is closer to correct, Nick. Without dedicated pickup coils and such, in the phone, it would require intense radiation, under optimal conditions ... sufficient to roast one's backside and requiring that one be practically chained, immobilized, to the power source, and only work with some phones at that .
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

21. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,676 posts

Question to the tech savvy who have more of a thorough grasp of this technology and its capabilities... why even mess with the battery? Can't we avoid all the surveillance, hacking, and snooping by simply enclosing our smart phones in a faraday cage?

Seems pretty simple... what am I missing?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

meeradas (7th October 2015)

23. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

Quote Posted by T Smith (here)
    Question to the tech savvy who have more of a thorough grasp of this technology and its capabilities... why even mess with the battery? Can't we avoid all the surveillance, hacking, and snooping by simply enclosing our smart phones in a faraday cage?

Seems pretty simple... what am I missing?
    Exactly! If I were worried that my tedious communications about being stuck in traffic or the fact that I could be located standing in front of the Fair Trade coffee shelf in Tesco could be acquired by Big Brother, all I'd do is wrap my phone tin tin foil. It is that easy!

So if you are planning to overthrow your government, or just passing on conspiracy stuff that TPTB would probably prefer not to be passed on (and they are already watching you anyway...) then make it a bit harder for them by wrapping your phone in tin (aluminium) foil. It will make using it harder/slower to use because each time you unwrap it the phone has to locate itself in the network and try and download all messages. And if THEY want to know where you are, that act will tell them.

I guess it just means the phone can't be used to find out where you've been or controlled while in its metal wrapper.

Someone, somewhere on a conspiracy website is probably selling such screening pouches.

Later edit:

Just checked; at least one company already is! (But they also sell sell tin foil hats for $60.)
    Last edited by Nick Matkin; 7th October 2015 at 09:26. Reason: later edit

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

meeradas (7th October 2015)

25. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)

But if I had place a bet one way or the other, I'd wager your description is closer to correct, Nick. Without dedicated pickup coils and such, in the phone, it would require intense radiation, under optimal conditions ... sufficient to roast one's backside and requiring that one be practically chained, immobilized, to the power source, and only work with some phones at that .
    There would also be required careful screening of the other parts of the phone as bombarding electronics with high-levels of EM radiation will simply burn components out - whether the device is powered-up or not.

If anyone doubts this, simply put a small radio, digital watch or phone into a microwave oven and see what happens! The oven doesn't even need to be on high power.

(Top tip; don't really try this - for obvious reasons!)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

ThePythonicCow (7th October 2015)

27. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,079 times in 8,173 posts

If a phone has a voltage amplifier circuit piggibacked onto the antenna, I wonder if it's possible to charge a capacitor from emf to a capacity large enough to switch the phone on and transmit a small data package?
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2