Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cultural differences.

1. Link to Post #21
    Avalon Retired Member
    In the Matrix...imagining how i'd like it to be
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 times in 375 posts

Default Re: Cultural differences.

Hi Pie'n'eal, i had the expat experience in quite a few countries, from that i concluded, yes all humans are the same, but there definitely are differences on how people who come from different cultures behave.
    And realizing and accepting it, makes life easier tbh.

Quote I was wondering...as all cultures are different, so maybe our approaches to situations - and information - differ in some ways. I was wondering how others saw this.
    Well think of the stereotypical way Italians behave and compare that to how an English person would behave in the same situation, the first will be more animated while expressing themselves even if they both end up with the same solutions. So yes we all approach situations in different ways.
    Quote We could narrow this down to native English speakers or non-English speakers – or any other criteria one wishes.
    Even native English speakers differ in their attitudes according to where they are from. But no need, I spent most of my early life in Switzerland and big big difference between the French and the German parts. One of my first 'culture shocks' despite that whole country not being my own, was living in the German parts of the country for a while.
    Quote Are all whistleblowers English speaking?
    of course not, but English is the 'international' language these days, so more people are likely to hear the message if it's in English.
    Quote Do aliens/ETs/EDs talk to or have contact with non-English speakers?
    For sure, there is the case of a very famous one in where i come from, but out of the Spanish speaking world, or even the country itself for those not interested, not many have heard of him. Some cultures though do 'downplay' this or are not open minded, so people would not share it as they may not want to 'fight' to be 'accepted.
    Quote Are there many non-English conspiracy forums? If so, how do they approach this subject?
    For sure, but not with the same amount of traffic that English speaking websites get.
    Depending on where they are from, they may have more 'pressing issues' they prefer to discuss, than compared to what is discussed here.
    They sometimes quote too much from English languages websites, and then compare it to what they know. the 'vibes' are quite different and match the mentality of where most of the posters are from.

Quote Are there some cultures that exaggerate more than others?
    yes but to them they aren't exaggerating....instead they may look at English people as 'taking their time' or not 'putting too much feeling' into a matter. of course a lot of it isn't true, but that is how some may feel, when not exposed to other cultures for a long time.
    Most English people i know, aren't 'reactive' types, they keep their emotions to themselves, and value putting a lot of mental power into a response.
    Most Americans i know, are the opposite, they are more open to sharing their feelings and emotions with complete strangers without second thoughts about it, unless the difference with the other culture is too obvious, and the rules of the place are so complicated (As in countries that run their laws according to religious rules rather than otherwise)
    it is also obvious in the different sense of humor both countries appreciate as evident from the different sitcoms they have.
    Quote Are there some cultures that are more clinical and analytical in their approach?
    of course, but i think everyone approaches this in a different way anyway, some people put the proof first, and then their analysis, others put their analysis and only show proof when asked to.

Quote Are we all just different? Or are we of certain types?
    we're all different types of the same species?? who knows but the individuality and appreciating the differences when we find them as long as they don't hurt anyone, is part of what puts some excitement into this planet...i guess.
    Last edited by Marsila; 16th August 2012 at 10:57.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Marsila For This Post:

21CC (16th August 2012), crested-duck (21st August 2012), Flash (16th August 2012), Holly Lindin (17th August 2012), Karunai (16th August 2012), Tony (18th September 2012), ulli (17th September 2012)

3. Link to Post #22
    Ecuador Avalon Member Davidallany's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,056 times in 1,577 posts

Quote In Turkey, I was constantly told not to speak with my hand because I would be perceived as aggressive
    Consider this. The Buddha also used his hands when he spoke, and the motions are called Mudras. I believe it is all dependent on the energy behind the action.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davidallany For This Post:

modwiz (18th September 2012), Tony (18th September 2012)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,706 times in 8,941 posts

Agreed, David, yet, Turks partners/employees were telling me not to use my hands during business presentations - have you ever seen French moving their hands while talking, they move a lot... My energy behind the movements was well, energetic and enthousiastic. But the perceptions could have been different from the other side, I had to take this into account and be considerate for the different cultural views.

I may also say that sometimes people from elsewhere look kind of alien to me sometimes (but not the Turks nor Central Americans, they were very much human like, with good and bad sides, lol). So French have lots of mudras

Other cultural differences that have an impact on understanding another culture are the referrents. Each culture has a different history and different referrents. Often, I read something in English and have no idea what they are writing about because I do not know the basic underlying referrent. I have to wait and see what will come out to make up the topic or understant the inuendos. Luckily, I read a lot in the past and can draw comparisions or similarities with what was read before.

Same for humour. It is often based on cultural referrents. Therefore it is different for most cultures. I was in El Salvador once, when much younger and a French movie was playing in the small town. I went to the movie, which was in French with Spanish subtitles. The whole theater would laugh where I did not find it funny, and I would loudly laugh when nobody else did in the theater. On the other hand, Turkish humour was quite similar to French Canadian humour (not to the French, but to French Canadian), so I always had fun with their humouristic tv programs.
    Last edited by Flash; 18th September 2012 at 03:06.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

araucaria (19th September 2012), modwiz (18th September 2012), mosquito (18th September 2012), Tony (18th September 2012)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,739 times in 1,371 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    .... When you live somewhere, you start seeing the differences.

For a while they go on your nerves. then you get adapted, then you see the anachronisms of your own culture because you are far away, then you have problems to readapt to you own ....
    I agree with this and everything you say !!

There is an enormous difference between the way you perceive a place whilst on holiday or shore leave and the way you see it when you live there.

I'm in the middle of reading a book which provides subsatntial academic evidence that there is a difference in basic cognition between Westerners (mainly Anglo-American) and East Asians (Japanese, Chinese and Korean) :

http://www.amazon.com/The-Geography-.../dp/0743216466

The book has confirmed many things I've noticed since living in China, confirmed many things I've suspected, and opened my mind to things I hadn't even thought of !!

To encapsulate - Westerners (and bear in mind this is a generalisation) tend more toward analytical thought, focussing on the objects around them, believing they are in control of their environment. East Asians tend to be more holistic, see things within their context and do not believe they control their environment, and importantly, they don't feel the need to control it.

I first realized there were major differences while studying Chinese Medicine, not only is it more holistic, it can't really be learned in a linear fashion, all the pieces fit together, and all are important. Coming here, teaching English to Chinese students and learning (less than brilliantly ) the language it is virtually impossible not to conclude that their thinking processes are totally different. (Teaching the future perfect continuous to a Spanish speaker is easy - it's constructed in exactly tha same way as in English. Chinese has NO tenses, only aspects, so they have a hard time grasping the concept of this and other English tenses).

Which is why I'm saddend by the increasing Westernization of the East - not only are they replacing their culture with a suprficial, meaningless set of "values", they're robbing humanity of the diversity we need to ensure a balanced and harmonious future.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosquito For This Post:

Flash (18th September 2012), modwiz (18th September 2012), Tony (18th September 2012)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,706 times in 8,941 posts

Our language is based on alphabet, a to z, which is linear thinking, while Chinese is based on symbols, which is a completely different way of thinking. I am sure that the brain has created different pathways to adapt and use such different languages. Put it generations over generations, and you have two very different set to thinking habits plus different neurons interactions, the Western and the Eastern. imho

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

modwiz (18th September 2012), mosquito (18th September 2012), Tony (18th September 2012)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

One area in which there is a huge cultural difference is the approach to space exploration between the American can-do display of massive technology and the Slav soul mentality behind the Russian campaign.

According to Victor Shklovsky, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky was the pioneering author of the Elementary Course on the Spaceship and its Construction in 1894, and his inspiring teacher was Nikolai Fyodorovich Fyodorov, the author of The Philosophy of the Common Task.

Quote Fyodorov wanted to create an ideal for technology. He had dreams of the resurrection of the dead, physical resurrection, and was already worrying over where this resurrected mankind would be going to settle. This is why he considered it an absolute necessity to colonize the stars. Fyodorov was the learned head librarian at the Rumantsiev Library. A lot of people in Moscow knew him.
    Shklovsky quotes Tolstoy on Fyodorov:

Quote He has developed the programme of the common task of all mankind, the purpose of which is the resurrection of all men, in their flesh. Firstly it is not as crazy as it sounds. (Not to worry, I do not share and never will share his views, but I have understood them so well that I feel up to the task of defending these ideas against any other beliefs having a superficial goal.) He is 60 years old, he is poor and gives away everything, he is always gentle and cheerful.
    Of course, NASA’s “superficial goal” is just a façade, but for something definitely not “the common task of all mankind”

12. The Following User Says Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Tony (18th September 2012)

13. Link to Post #27
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

There is much communication going on which is unspoken, by the use of words,the phrasing, the sound, the intention and the eyes.

Tony

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony For This Post:

Davidallany (27th September 2012)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,108 times in 1,389 posts

Quote Posted by pie'n'eal (here)
    There is much communication going on which is unspoken, by the use of words,the phrasing, the sound, the intention and the eyes.

Tony
    I think, you are not getting enough on your fundamental intent to create this post.

Yes, there are a lot of other languages talking about EBE's experiences .
    You should check Russian, Spanish web sides. You can have Google translate them. It is not monopoly for Queen's Boys.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tangri For This Post:

Tony (19th September 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2