+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 8

Thread: Systemic Racism in America

1. Link to Post #141
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,560 times in 32,726 posts

Default Re: Systemic Racism in America

Quote Posted by Ken (here)
    Good call, Sarah. I am guilty of having ignored this thread as well. The subject is more highly fraught and polarized than I ever imagined could be the case on this Forum.
    Mod note from Bill:

Yes. It's an ultra-sensitive topic, one of the very most there can be. But laying all emotion aside, and applying my inner Spock, in pragmatic terms it simply serves zero purpose.

It helps no-one at all, can only fuel more fires, and isn't relevant to any legitimate human rights issue. And it's not relevant to Systemic Racism, either.

Not even to education: education issues are really all about $$ finance and political policy decisions. Taking the risk of talking about IQ in this post (whatever "IQ" actually is!), good education, good parenting and a good socio-cultural environment can make a very wonderful human being out of anyone, or any color at all, anywhere in the world, who's no intellectual genius. That's what matters.

Even Gary Voss (see this thread), a highly sensitive and aware man, would never include this in any poem of his.

~~~

I did post this on the thread a week ago (3 July), thinking — wrongly! — the "IQ" thing could be dismissed. I jumped on it quite quickly, and rightly so. It was actually Catsquotl who first opened the can of worms. Orobo's thoughts were stimulated by that.

Do read my reply.

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by Catsquotl (here)

Does that mean there are no high IQ children of color?
    All kinds of things could be happening, but it's important to recognize that "IQ" is really still a very crude concept, and it's actually pretty hard to quantify accurately. (I've encountered a lot of people with high measured IQs who are very dumb, unaware and limited. Many so-called "geniuses" are just good at solving puzzles, and little else.)

Language and culture have a great deal to do with it, while there are definitely genetic predispositions to high levels of mental ability — of course. Intellectual potential is inherited, just as are other assets like strength, height, and so on. But other very variable factors include parenting (very major), early socialization (major), and early nutrition (quite major).

The parenting thing includes early access to certain kinds of games, problem-solving toys, stimulating books, etc. Giving a toddler an iPad to watch cartoons and keep them quiet hardly cuts it when it comes to intellectual development.

We're not going to censor anything here. Gary Voss wouldn't approve of that, either. But this issue definitely doesn't belong on this important thread.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 11th July 2020 at 14:40.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (11th July 2020), Billy Vasiliadis (11th July 2020), Constance (11th July 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th September 2020), Ernie Nemeth (11th July 2020), Forest Denizen (11th July 2020), Frank V (11th July 2020), Franny (12th July 2020), Jayke (11th July 2020), kudzy (11th July 2020), Orobo (12th July 2020), Peter UK (11th July 2020), RunningDeer (11th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (11th July 2020), Tintin (11th July 2020), Yoda (11th July 2020)

3. Link to Post #142
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 times in 506 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

[/I]I did post this on the thread a week ago (3 July), thinking — wrongly! — the "IQ" thing could be dismissed. I jumped on it quite quickly, and rightly so. It was actually Catsquotl who first opened the can of worms. Orobo's thoughts were stimulated by that.

It was me, however the context in which I used it was not intended to open that can of worms, merely to show that somehow children who were given more opportunity to advance in primairy school were somehow all white even when the kids picked to advance all came from a mixed pool of kids to choose from.

To be honest I did not know there were studies who charted differences.

With Love

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Post:

AutumnW (11th July 2020), Bill Ryan (11th July 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th September 2020), Forest Denizen (11th July 2020), Franny (12th July 2020), RunningDeer (13th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (11th July 2020)

5. Link to Post #143
    Madagascar Avalon Member silvanelf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 times in 299 posts

Here you can see just 3 high IQ children of color ... they became chess masters before turning 13 !!

Quote Teens Justus Williams, Joshua Colas and James Black Jr. Earn Praise As Young Chess Masters

It rarely comes as a surprise for an African American to be the latest rising sports star, whether he’s slam dunking on the court or scoring touchdowns on the field. But cornering a king on the chess board? That isn’t so common.

However, a trio of black teens have all become chess masters before turning 13, an achievement that’s not only rare in their sport, but virtually unheard of in the black community.

Justus Williams, Joshua Colas and James Black Jr. are three black chess players that have obtained the difficult title of chess master at a very young age, The New York Times reports.

The trio, each of whom are from the New York City area, is part of only 13 chess masters under age 14 in the entire United States Chess Federation.

-- snip --
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/three...n-pr_n_1093371

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to silvanelf For This Post:

AutumnW (12th July 2020), Bill Ryan (12th July 2020), Catsquotl (12th July 2020), Constance (11th July 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th September 2020), Dorjezigzag (12th July 2020), Franny (12th July 2020), Jayke (12th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (11th July 2020), Tintin (11th July 2020)

7. Link to Post #144
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,844 times in 2,378 posts

I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on wether there is systemic racism in America as I've never been to the country. If I were to hazard a guess distilled from various news reports and portrayals in film I'd be inclined to think perhaps there was, but hesitantly as I could also be wrong. Let me look a little deeper, sharing my thoughts, and see if I can come to a tentative conclusion.

Racism is just another from of prejudice and the vast majority of humans are prejudiced one way or another, and mostly unaware of it. Like all prejudices that focus on 'people who are not us', racism is taught, or more correctly, absorbed. Most children growing up within a certain culture will learn that cultures ideologies, that's natural. Should a certain culture have an historical mistrust of a neighbouring culture the young mind will absorb that programming, in larger more widespread cultures communities and/or regions within said culture can develop mistrust of their closest neighbours, once learned it can be difficult to break free of such conditioning. A developing common sense and exposure to other ideas, such as one might find when transplanted from home to a college or university for example, grants the opportunity to hopefully re-evaluate that which was held to be true.

Back in the late 80's, in the Northern Territory of Australia, I met a man that was rabidly racist about the Aborigines. By no means the first racist I'd encountered but what appalled me about this particular man was he would openly state his vitriolic views in front of his children. I just felt pity for them. It took many, many years before it occurred to me the man was probably a victim of exactly the same indoctrination and was blind to it. He knew he hated, he didn't know why, he just did. I must say in those days the majority of rural Aussie males I met were at least a little racist even if just by the use of common vernacular when referring to the indigenous peoples.

Which leads to me wonder if anyone can be guilty of being a racist/prejudicial if on some level they are responding to deep conditioning from childhood. One would certainly hope the majority get to temper their views as they mature and gather various life experiences, conversely, and sadly, some will have their viewpoints reinforced. On broader levels our prejudices are deeply ingrained and all take much work to rise above. I had to take a hard look at my own views when searching for prejudices that I hold and ultimately could only find a large distaste for the so called upper-classes. Those with inherited money in particular, the ones that are sent to the bizzarely named 'public' schools and are earmarked for careers in politics and high powered jobs.

So, Sarah Rainsong, does systemic racism in America exist. Within certain individuals and certain groups of individuals it probably does but then it would no longer be systemic. I would not say all police, all judges for instance, but I could believe that some police, some judges, some politicians, some employers etc, have very strong prejudices.

I would think our biggest problem now is how easily our prejudices can be manipulated through the media, and what seems a determined drive to alienate every group from any healing and drive everyone further apart. Who would have thought that a very old subterfuge such as divide et impera could be so successfully used in our modern age.

PS: The Bell Curve is the biggest load of tripe, but sure you can find scientists who will verify its findings - as they are reinforcing their own prejudices.
    Last edited by Ewan; 12th July 2020 at 11:59.

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

atman (3rd September 2020), Bill Ryan (12th July 2020), Constance (12th July 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (9th August 2020), Forest Denizen (12th July 2020), Jayke (12th July 2020), Krist (12th July 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th July 2020), Satori (12th July 2020), silvanelf (16th July 2020), Tintin (12th July 2020), Wind (13th July 2020)

9. Link to Post #145
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sarah Rainsong (here)
    Quote Posted by Orobo (here)
    <snip>
    Let's take a purely rational look, because we have to, not to get caught up in trivial drama. Yes, let's do that.

I look at it like in nature. There are many races of dogs for example and their qualities differ greatly. One is good in the handbag of a Russian hooker, the other for searching Scandinavian bears on a hunt. Humans are very likely the same. There is no "better", just different.

The little lapdog wouldn't have a happy and productive life alongside the Karelian bear-dogs in the mud and sleet. Maybe the Karelians would not be happy the lapdog is eating from their bowls....bla bla bla, you get the point.

This could be the allegory for muslims/Africans in Europe/US. The society is made by and for Europeans with their qualities. The migrants couldn't, on average, hang in there with the rest. That is also what the stats show. And surely they resent that, maybe rightly so.

So right here, you suggest that "migrants" or non-Europeans (aka. non-white) simply can't handle European (aka. white) society.

It demands rational and abstract thinking to keep oneself on the right track. Happy, positive and productive in such an alien environment. There are many that have trouble with that in their own culture.
    From the first generation to the next, and the next, till now the fourth and fifth generations of migrants things turn more and more ugly. A more than linear uptake in crime, disengagement in society, and stuck in the brain- and self-worth rotting welfare-trap. It makes for some very unhappy people. But it seems this is the whole point.

The reason that non-whites are unhappy are because they are in a white society? They are not in "their own culture" so things "turn more and more ugly"?

For now comes the Wormtongue: "It is not your fault, it is the racist whites". Most migrants come from cultures where linear, rational and abstract thinking is not a virtue. Freethinkers are shunned or killed. So it is bred out of people by a punishing conformity, over many many generations.
    Dump those here, under false pretences, like we have heard in the migrants own words, and they are being played. They are tools or weapons, frankly. Thát is racist, of the most most evil kind.

What are you saying here? It sounds to me like you are proposing what I have bolded, but maybe, considering the following sentences, you're arguing against it? In any case, what is bolded is just wrong and appalling.

Some here on Avalon are aware of videos where the perpetrators of said "human dumping" are openly talking about how and why they do that. Rife, is the word. There are even compilations of those "from the horses mouth"-quotes. It goes on for hours on end. Amazin'.

The human, as a tribal species, is built, through evolution, to recognise the smallest differences in facial traits. To safeguard themselves and the tribe. Are them strangers?
    The human dumping naturally fires up the uneasiness of the original folk in those countries. This counts also for the US, even though the black population started out as slaves.
    Look at the White flight, when black people come to their neighbourhoods.
    So, of course, the whites try to keep to their own. Resisting hiring a black person, as an example, is only a natural reaction, but only a detail when seen in the bigger picture of big, real racist policies. Economical or political.
    Think about the HUD programs where the (white) ethnicities of neighbourhoods are forcibly broken up by moving black or brown people there. This happens here in Europe also.

People do tend to be mistrustful of what they are not familiar with, but that is only indirectly related to race. Are you suggesting that people should just follow the easiest, most familiar path and engage in segregation? What is enlightened about that?

There are overtly racist policies, like diversity quotas against the white population. Or hidden, like the welfare programs.
    Nixon said something like:"Now we have bound up the black vote for 150 years", when the welfare state came into being. There is a lot more to find about that. It has been an evil plan from the beginning, the welfare state. In principle. The black community was doing actually great up to that point, rising into the middle class quickly. Stopping the rise by taking money from society to lock them up "on the new plantation" like Candace Owens says. Laying the ground work for resentment. On all sides.

Okay, so racist policies (aka systemic racism) lays the groundwork for resent. Yeah, I can agree with that.

It is like in Europe. Take from the Europeans and give it to the migrants, who will keep up making many babies, like in Africa or the Middle East. Diversity hiring, lower punishments for similar crimes etc etc That is very racist, but presented as something good and responsible. Under threat of being called a racist. Upside down world.

Now the migrants in Europe, or the black people in the US are legion (pun ), by systemic racist policies from the 60 and onward, Critical Theory can stoke the fires of said resentment.
    Humans are easily led towards that easier route of resentment, through entitlement for example.

WTH does "making many babies" have to do with anything? Where does that come from? The concern that the non-whites will out-breed whites is something I've only directly encountered in patriarchal, white Christian supremacy. Why are you even mentioning that here? What does that have to do with the point of your post?

I cannot attest to Europe, but here in America, there is most assuredly NOT lower punishments for non-whites who commit crimes.

What I describe here is a "systemic racism" of a different kind, on another level preceding the currently used one, that is there to make the brown and black folks hate the whites, in who's societies they live.

So the non-whites hate whites because they live in white society... and they shouldn't? Because they're BRED not to?

Being able to see all this, and working through ones own resistance consciously, concerning these workings demands a mental capacity for abstract thinking, and a curiosity that is possible within the individualistic, creative and free culture of the Europeans. What is needed for that is raw mental capacity, called "G". Commonly described by IQ.

So only smart people are going to be able to understand that non-whites do not belong in a white society?

These are capacities that, according to scientific testing, are not readily available on average, in some other cultures and (sub-)races of humans. Especially the cultures that are being used as weapons against the ethnic European cultures. Not my idea, just relaying the words of people doing this...both the scientists or the evil-doers in casu.

Scientific testing...the same scientific community that promotes vaccines? That insist that there's not such thing as aliens or ET or anything outside of reductionist thinking?

Non-whites do not have the "capacity" for "abstract thinking" "curiosity" "individualist thinking"? They just don't have the "raw mental capacity"?

George Soros: I am going to bring down the United States by funding Black Hate groups. We'll put them into a mental trap and make them hate White people. The Black community is the easiest to manipulate. (2014)is a quote.

I think it is clearly a trap to bind up society in a troubled "systemic racism, see, Whites are bad" while the real "primary racists" wring their hands in delight.
    So what if many European people find their way out of their programming and dare/manage to see the big picture, which is not easy, there is still the weaponised folks that need to come to the realisation that being brothers is the only way to get out of this bind. Or plain civil war.
    I am afraid that the natural differences between the different peoples are big enough for the controllers to keep everyone running. Hustling with the inborn reactions of a variation of folks.

It is so sad to see the black community being led to burn all their bridges to the real direction where their freedom is. And ours too!
    I think that direction is where the ethnic Europeans thrive. It is thóse, and ONLY those, people that collectively has found the universalist insights that led them to see slavery is not good.
    They worked endlessly, against all resistance to buy free or set free by other means the slaves.

That one-eyed king has to be killed it seems, by the blind masses, for the the two-faced to take over the throne.

You are attempting to set yourself up to be the advocate of non-white people, but what you really have done is reveal a deep-seated, highly biased white supremacy view.
    This is NOT OKAY, folks! I am deleting the original post and leaving this here for now, because everyone needs to understand that trying to argue that non-white people do not belong in white society is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I am further locking this thread until Bill or one of the other more seasoned moderators can check this out.
    Hi,

Like I wrote, it is a dispassionate look. Calling a spade a spade.
    I will have to go through your reactions and react myself if that is what you want.
    I am not an evil racist guy, quite the opposite. I can put aside my propagandised self and look hard at what lies in fornt of me and compare it to data form science and observations from myself and family living in many European countries. We all see what happens, but dare we say it.
    And, be assured, most observations, or timid conclusions are based on averages...things that happen/are in general. Nothing is absolute.
    And, yes there is data that I haven't seen. So I can be wrong too. But we can talk about it!

Love, O.

10. Link to Post #146
    United States Avalon Member Sarah Rainsong's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 times in 505 posts

Orobo, you are basically saying that since systemic racism exists, we should just not have mixed societies.

First, you're making the mistake of putting whites at the top, which is not only arrogant and ignorant, it is highly offensive.

Second, that's impossible. Even if it was like that at some point in our global history, there is no way it's going to happen now.

Third, the idea of isolating people into groups to make "peace" is the given motivation behind many genocidal dictators as well as the plot of a host of apocalyptic movies. It does not advance humanity--it devolves it.

ALL of humanity is ONE RACE. We need to learn to get along, to come together, to appreciate our differences... NOT cater to the lowest denominator and segregate into various "racial" groups. Not only do we need diversity to survive, we need it to advance.

I am going to ask that you abstain from posting further in this thread. Please visit All about "IQ" (whatever that means!) and consider the various types of intelligence discussed there. Feel free to post on that thread and anywhere else, but you are missing a very big part of the picture here.

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    Orobo,

You have a very strange take on things. I wonder how it would advance all of our freedom to look at collective IQ scores that arrive at wrong conclusions, including that the average "African" is borderline retarded and nothing can be done about it, not diet, not better schooling, etc..etc...

That is a fair question. How does it advance their freedom? And what difference does it make to you? You seem to be arguing for a white European ethno-state here.
    Thanks, I appreciate the question.

Well, for one, it punctures the "it is bigotry, and only bigotry so now we take down western civilisation and kill all the whites" scam.

The whites, mostly the christians, who as the single culture have come to the conclusion slavery is bad and worked hard to change it. With money and blood.
    The Whites who are involved in environmental projects, cultural projects because they have a great deal of empathy for other beings outside of their in-group or direct vicinity, and produced a surplus to be able to go and help others. That seems quite unique.

Secondly it gives back agency to the black community. It is so horribly racist and destructive, to take that away. Sure there are things they can do. Look at how well things went before the 60s. They are human beings too, that can find a way to make it work. Both in the US and in Africa.
    Playing them on their lower motivations (fear, envy, lust etc...) traps them in anger, which is the opposite of freedom. It is quite easy to to with whites too, so Soros is right about that the black community is the easiest to rile up. Acknowledging those facts give insight in how to deal with the challenges.

I like to play with the thought that total psychopaths deal with us like, well, cattle for example. How to manage the herd to get the result they would want.
    Birth-control by pills and abortions ( yeah, who was that I wonder?) and using the different qualities of the stocks against each other. They know us in and out, and use it for what it is worth.
    Getting the scientific knowledge front and center is of great help because it make us more aware of the tactics that can be used against us.

Knowing your own strengths and weaknesses is half the victory. That is all.

About the white ethno-state...I don't know. The more homogenous the people in a country the more peaceful it is. Less resources get used up on schooling and special programs. Less differences in status/class/wealth, so less envy, distrust.
    The distrust and its eroding function on civil society is well documented through many decades. Less playing outside ( cocooning it is called) which leads to less exercise/more fat and unhealthy children and adults= healthcare costs rise.
    Less friendly people on the streets means more crime and even less happy interactions on the streets= rising costs of policing/detention and fall of real estate prices.
    So everyone loses. Also trust in between people of their own ethnic group goes down.
    It is all vey clear and very simple. Migration ruins quality of life for all.
    Paying forth the cultural peculiarities of the host-country gets more and more of a problem and will be removed totally in the end, like we see now.

I am not sure if diverse countries can be made to work again, it does not look good.

And less differences that can be used to play off sides against each other...political power is a difficult thing to handle for humans, so I am afraid that is so easy to misuse.

Is this a plea for ethnic homogenous countries? It is condemned widely and fiercely but when I write this I feel it might be better if my country would thank the guest-population for their stay and send them back, with the knowledge that a better society, if they miss that, can be built in their home country. It could be a motivation to make it less ****holey. And we could help them. We should, and I am shure we will. I would, that's how racist I am.

It is also documented that the northern climates are not doing the peoples from warm countries any good. That works on a profound level. It throws off the chemical balance and makes for miserable humans.

The situation now is so bad, and getting worse, that it would be better for most to reverse the willed changes in our societies, made by evil people to ruin and enslave all.

I'll throw in a little personal anecdote... When I moved here, form one white western country to another. I did that for positive reasons, I loved it here. But, even though, there is an unstoppable and pretty hard learning curve. Who am I, why did I do this? The small differences in how the locals communicate and their customs became very irritating. The trap of judging them hard, as weak and coward was there for some time. The frustration was big, before I found peace.

Others that had made the same move as me had the same deep frustration, even the ones that moved when they were only 3 years of age.
    So I know, it must be very difficult for them from a muslim or African country. With their ethnic peers echoing the same frustration that turns to hate. I haven't even talked about the religious aspects that augment the troubles I describe.
    I feel it is almost insurmountable. So the soil is very very fertile for the intersectionalitists. That is exactly why ethno-nationalist ideas are condemned I think. It might be the solution.

Love, O.
    Hi,

Like I wrote, it is a dispassionate look. Calling a spade a spade.
    I will have to go through your reactions and react myself if that is what you want.
    I am not an evil racist guy, quite the opposite. I can put aside my propagandised self and look hard at what lies in fornt of me and compare it to data form science and observations from myself and family living in many European countries. We all see what happens, but dare we say it.
    And, be assured, most observations, or timid conclusions are based on averages...things that happen/are in general. Nothing is absolute.
    And, yes there is data that I haven't seen. So I can be wrong too. But we can talk about it!

Love, O.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

Anka (12th July 2020), Bill Ryan (12th July 2020), Forest Denizen (12th July 2020), Justjane (12th July 2020), silvanelf (16th July 2020), Wind (13th July 2020)

12. Link to Post #147
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,003 times in 2,188 posts

Thomas Sowell says concept of systemic racism 'has no meaning,' warns US could reach 'point of no return'

Economist says left's use of phrase recalls 'propaganda tactics of Joseph Goebbels'

Economist and author Thomas Sowell told "Life Liberty & Levin" in an interview airing Sunday evening that the left's claim that America is beset by "systemic racism" has no definitive meaning and cannot be "tested" in any empirical manner.

American economist and social theorist who is currently a senior fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution.

"You hear this phrase, 'systemic racism' [or] 'systemic oppression'," host Mark Levin told Sowell. "You hear it on our college campuses. You hear it from very wealthy and fabulously famous sports stars. What does that mean? And whatever it means, is it true?"

"It really has no meaning that can be specified and tested in the way that one tests hypotheses," answered Sowell, who added that the currency of the phrase reminds him of the "propaganda tactics" of Nazi Germany, where Sowell claimed that if a lie was "repeated long enough and loud enough" it would be widely believed.

Sowell agreed with Levin's theory that most who have taken part in protests across America in recent months do not live in the communities they claim to support, but only go there to "hand out turkeys" at Thanksgiving and live among the people they claim are oppressors.

"They're absolute hypocrites," the host said. "They claim they want equality for all. They claim that there'll be the withering away of the ... police departments ... and yet every time you look at a Marxist state, it is an authoritarian, top-down, centralized police state."

Sowell chimed in that while activists claim to be casting off racial and class differences, they only end up creating their own "nomenclature" and establishing their own hierarchies.

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/media/thomas...has-no-meaning

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

atman (3rd September 2020), Bill Ryan (3rd September 2020), Constance (13th July 2020), edina (7th August 2020), Ewan (25th November 2020), Jayke (13th July 2020), Mike (9th August 2020)

14. Link to Post #148
    United States Avalon Member Forest Denizen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 times in 450 posts

I am going to post this story from The Guardian along with an article in the next post that I believe does a good job of articulating the foggy history associated with this subject.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hedge-clippers

Fair Wayne Bryant was sentenced to life in prison in 1997 for attempted simple burglary, and justices rejected his recent appeal

Click image for larger version

Name:	From The Guardian.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	44012

A prison in Louisiana. Photograph: Giles Clarke/Getty Images

A black man in Louisiana will continue to serve a life sentence in prison for trying to steal hedge clippers after the state supreme court denied a request to review his sentence.

Fair Wayne Bryant was convicted in 1997 of attempted simple burglary.
    The five justices who rejected his appeal – all white men – did not explain the reasoning for their decision, which was first reported by the Lens, a non-profit news site in New Orleans.

The supreme court’s lone dissent came from the only black or female member of the court, Chief Justice Bernette Johnson. She wrote the sentencing was a “modern manifestation” of the extreme punishments meted out to newly emancipated black men in the post-civil war era.
    “The sentence imposed is excessive and disproportionate to the offense the defendant committed,” Johnson wrote.

Bryant, 62, received the life sentence under Louisiana’s habitual offender law, which allows a person’s sentence to increase based on their criminal history.

Before Bryant’s 1997 arrest, he was convicted for attempted armed robbery in 1979, his only violent conviction. He was sentenced to 10 years hard labor for the crime. His other previous charges were for possession of stolen things in 1987, attempted check forgery in 1989 and simple burglary in 1992.

Last year, Governor John Bel Edwards signed a reform to the habitual law which criminal justice advocates described as an “incremental” step forward.
    In Johnson’s dissent, the justice wrote that all of Bryant’s crimes were for stealing something. “It is cruel and unusual to impose a sentence of life in prison at hard labor for the criminal behavior which is most often caused by poverty or addiction,” she wrote.

The 23 years Bryant has served in prison since the 1997 has cost Louisiana taxpayers more than $518,000, Johnson noted. “If he lives another 20 years, Louisiana taxpayers will have paid almost one million dollars to punish Mr Bryant for his failed effort to steal a set of hedge clippers,” she wrote.

Her dissent then explained that after the era of Reconstruction, which followed the civil war, southern states implemented laws which gave newly emancipated African American citizens extreme punishment for petty crimes. In some places, these were known as “pig laws”, and they were “largely designed to re-enslave African Americans”, Johnson wrote.

Her dissent ended: “And this case demonstrates their modern manifestation: harsh habitual offender laws that permit a life sentence for a black man convicted of property crimes.”
    "Love is the only engine of survival.." Leonard Cohen

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Forest Denizen For This Post:

atman (3rd September 2020), Bill Ryan (3rd September 2020), Billy Vasiliadis (9th August 2020), Constance (9th August 2020), Franny (9th August 2020), Mike (9th August 2020)

16. Link to Post #149
    United States Avalon Member Forest Denizen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 times in 450 posts
    "Love is the only engine of survival.." Leonard Cohen

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Forest Denizen For This Post:

AutumnW (10th September 2020), Bill Ryan (3rd September 2020), Constance (9th August 2020), Franny (9th August 2020), Mike (9th August 2020)

18. Link to Post #150
    Language
    French
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,706 times in 211 posts

In her opening post, Sarah wrote "Consider this more of an information gathering session, not a place to discuss or argue about how to fix anything. (...) Detail is encouraged."

Well, I came across an interesting video, last week, that is not only pertinent to the subject of this thread, but that is also well put together, with plenty of documentation and levelheaded argumentation by an American electrical engineer, Casey Petersen, who just last week opened up a YouTube channel called Data Driven Conclusions.

The video in question is titled:

Pushing Back on the Narrative of Modern
    Systemic Racism & White Privilege

Unravelling Claims Through Data, Facts, Studies, Statistics and Critical Thinking

To help you decide whether to watch it or not, I have extracted the closed captions of the first 4 1/2 minutes of the 64-minute long presentation and have reformatted and slightly edited them for ease of reading.

Here it goes:

Pushing Back on the Narrative of Modern
    Systemic Racism & White Privilege

Following the death of George Floyd, my company began posting internal materials and hosting trainings based on Critical Race Theory (CRT).

Despite my extensive efforts to point out the blatant lies and deep immorality of these resources and classes, no changes were made.

I offered to host a class correcting the record. I was told that the company is not hosting a forum for debate and to keep my opinions at home and to get back to work.

I was told by the senior manager of HR that "it is not our job to fact check the materials for accuracy" and they refused to pull down the offending materials.

Over the weeks, as I dug deeper into their materials and attended their trainings, I found that this divisive ideology was the rule rather than the exception.

This ideology breeds nothing but unjustified fear, guilt, anger, victim-hood and hatred.

This is a video that I did not want to make, but I felt morally obligated to. We're gonna be pushing back on the narrative of modern systemic racism and white privilege, where we'll be unravelling claims through data, facts, studies, statistics and critical thinking.

As far as I know, this ideology being pushed in my place of work is unprecedented.

If you're unaware what Critical Race Theory is, Critical Race Theory is the view that the law and legal institutions are inherently racist and that race itself, instead of being biologically grounded and natural, is a socially constructed concept that is used by white people to further their economic and political interests at the expense of people of color.

According to Critical Race Theory, racial inequalities emerge from the social, economic and legal differences that white people create between "races" to maintain elite white interests in labour markets and politics, giving rise to poverty and criminality in many minority communities.

This is a completely un-American concept because at its base it's the idea that you are guilty until proven innocent or that you are racist until you are absolved of your racism by a person of color.

And we are going to explore this more in the rest of this video and go in depth with some of the different materials that the HR has provided to us.

Let me provide clarifications right up-front here, what I am claiming versus what I am not claiming.

I am claiming that:
    • The way Systemic Racism and White Privilege are represented and taught today are, at a minimum, controversial and vastly overblown

• It does not belong in the workplace

• Much of the mainstream claims and data are outright false

• Racism is NOT a public health crisis

• Systemic racism is NOT a major problem in 2020 America

And don't worry, I will provide data and sources to support these bold claims.

Now, equally important, is what I am not claiming:

• I am not claiming that racism does not exist in the United States today

• I am not claiming historic systemic racism never existed in the United States

• I am not claiming Black Americans are currently not feeling any effects of historic racism and historic oppression

• Nor am I claiming that Black Americans are not feeling or not suffering disproportionately from class-based disparities

Now a little about me. I have been with my company for five years now. I served honorably five and a half years in the U.S. Army Infantry, after which I pursued a degree — a master's degree in electrical engineering. I became a research and development electrical engineer for our company which is a federally funded research and development center (or FFRDC) and our company employs nearly 13 000 employees. We tackle some of the nation's most sensitive and difficult national security problems and we are absolutely critical to the nation security. I could not say enough good things about the people that I work with and the work that we do. Anyways, let's fix this so we can get back to focusing on what we do best: national security.

So what controversial views did or does my company HR department boost? My HR department hosted an internal web page about a couple months ago and it was called/titled "Talking About Race in the Workplace".

Now let me give a disclaimer up front here. I am not saying that I disagree with everything in these resources. You do not need to disagree to realize that most these materials are controversial, of a political nature and do not belong in the workplace.

So what are these claims?
    • America is chronically, systemically racist

• Racism is a public health crisis

• Silence is compliance or even silence is violence (you must be an activist) (This is a "you're with us or against us' type of thinking and it is directly in opposition to dialogue and diversity of thinking)

• Color blindness is racist

• The validity of your ideas is dependent upon the color of your skin

Many of these materials seem to be dedicated to convincing you that even YOU are unconsciously racist, the implication being that if you—the least racist person you know—are a little bit racist, then just imagine how racist the rest of the nation is. (End of excerpt)

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to atman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd September 2020), Constance (8th September 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th September 2020), Ewan (25th November 2020), Franny (12th March 2021), Jayke (11th September 2020), Mike (3rd September 2020), T Smith (8th September 2020)

20. Link to Post #151
    Language
    French
    Thanks

And, just like that, Freedom seems to have become the new word for Segregation...

(The bolded text, in the article below, is my own emphasis)

In the face of a pandemic that has hit Black Americans harder than almost any other group, while the nation continues to confront the toxic legacy of slavery and Jim Crow, two Georgia women have come together to build a community that will be a place free of oppression, “a tight-knit community for our people to just come and breathe.”

They are calling it Freedom, Georgia, and draw their inspiration from Wakanda, the fictional comic-book country that was the setting for the movie “Black Panther.”

Ashley Scott, a realtor from Stonecrest, Ga., who was driven to seek therapy by her reaction to the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery, a young Black man jogging in a white neighborhood, said that after several sessions she realized that her problem was 400 years of racial oppression and trauma dating back to the establishment of slavery in North America.

“We are dealing with systemic racism,” she wrote in an op-ed for Blavity last month. “We are dealing with deep-rooted issues that will require more than protesting in the streets.”

With her friend Renee Walters, an entrepreneur and investor, she founded the Freedom Georgia Initiative, a group of 19 Black families who collectively purchased 96.71 acres of rural land in Toomsboro, a town of a few hundred people in central Georgia, with the intention of developing a self-contained Black community. The space will have small homes for vacation use and will host weddings, retreats and recreational functions, and may eventually evolve into an incorporated, self-sustaining community.

“It’s now time for us to get our friends and family together and build for ourselves,” said Walters, who serves as the president of the organization, in an interview with Yahoo News. “That's the only way we’ll be safe. And that’s the only way that this will work. We have to start bringing each other together.”

Full article

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to atman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th September 2020), Bluegreen (8th September 2020), Constance (8th September 2020), Franny (11th September 2020), Jayke (11th September 2020), Lilybee8 (17th September 2020), Mike (8th September 2020)

22. Link to Post #152
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,208 times in 5,679 posts

I'm glad they've done that. I wish them well! It looks like a fun adventure actually.

But what they're going to discover, in the not too distant future, is that all the issues that plagued them before will still plague them there, in Freedom Georgia...and it will be quite the revelation.

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

atman (8th September 2020), Bill Ryan (8th September 2020), Constance (8th September 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th September 2020), ExomatrixTV (4th November 2020), Franny (11th September 2020), Jayke (11th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (11th September 2020)

24. Link to Post #153
    Language
    French
    Thanks

Is America racist? (5 min.)

"Is America racist? Is it -- as President Barack Obama said -- "part of our DNA"? Author and talk-show host Larry Elder examines America's legacy of racism, whether it's one we can ever escape, and in the process offers a different way of looking at things like Ferguson, crime, police and racial profiling."

Transcript of opening lines:

Is racism still a major problem in Ame­­rica­? President Barack Obama certainly thinks so. He said that racism is “in our DNA.” Really? If racism is in our DNA, doesn’t that mean it's immutable, unchangeable?

But America has changed -- and dramatically so. In 1960, 60% of Americans said they would never vote for a black president. Almost 50 years later, the black man who said racism is in America’s DNA was elected president, and four years later re-elected. That’s only the most obvious example of racial progress. There are many others.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th September 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th September 2020), Franny (11th September 2020), Jayke (11th September 2020), T Smith (11th September 2020)

26. Link to Post #154
    Language
    French
    Thanks

As a commentary to this cartoon of his, Ben Garrison has written:

NFL GET WOKE GO BROKE

In a rambling display of virtue signaling, Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll complained whites weren’t listening to blacks. The lecturing ‘Karen’ then blathered on about how white folks needed to learn ‘real history’ and that slavery has never gone away. Well, Pete…we do know that over 600,000 mostly white lives were extinguished during the Civil War that ended slavery, but apparently that bit of stark history wasn’t real enough for you.

The politicization of professional sports in America is just part of the communists’ game plan. The Bolshevik Democrats are using the racial divide during an election year to usher in their figurehead, Biden. If elected, the socialists will again be on offense. They will drive to further destroy our Republic and our freedom. Coach Carroll can’t see this because he’s been brainwashed by the leftist media and the systemic political correctness that has long been embedded in Seattle. It’s one of America’s bluest cities.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th September 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th September 2020)

28. Link to Post #155
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

Quote https://www.judicialwatch.org/press-...20200921201103
    Sept 16, 2020

Judicial Watch and Legal Insurrection Investigate University Retaliation against Professor Who Questioned ‘Systemic Racism’

https://www.thecollegefix.com/black-...d-he-be-fired/
    June 18, 2020

Black privilege is real’ prof under fire: protest hits his home, students demand he be fired

Charles Negy, an associate professor of psychology at the University of Central Florida who tweeted about “black privilege,” is facing an aggressive campaign to get him terminated from his job after a few of his tweets were deemed racist by students and administrators.

He now also faces allegations of classroom discrimination.

The outrage caused by his tweets in early June led to the hashtag “#UCFfirehim” to trend and made national headlines. A petition demanding he be fired has more than 30,000 signatures.

A protest Saturday in front of his home drew carfuls of students and prompted police protection, according to the professor.

“The cars drove by with a megaphone shouting ‘Black Lives Matter’ and ‘Negy must resign’ while blowing their horns nonstop,” Negy told The College Fix in an email Monday. “That went [on] for 30 minutes. That’s not ‘protesting.’ That’s bullying, harassment, and intimidation. That occurred after they had spent three hours on foot at the entrance of my neighborhood.”
    Negy has taught at the University of Central Florida for 22 years. He earned tenure in 2001. He is author of the recent book: “White Shaming: Bullying Based on Prejudice, Virtue-signaling, and Ignorance.”
    In defense of his tweets, Negy said he teaches a cross-cultural psychology class that examines some of the questions he asked.
    “Most of what I cover (in the course) is ‘neutral,’ but I do reserve a section at the end of each group where I address challenges or problems that disproportionately affect the group being discussed,” Negy said. “No matter how gentle I try to address some of those challenges, people from all groups, including Whites, occasionally are offended. But the purpose of a university is to explore and debate ideas–even ideas that make some people uncomfortable; even ideas that some people find offensive.”

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

atman (1st October 2020), Bill Ryan (25th September 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th September 2020), Franny (12th March 2021)

30. Link to Post #156
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

Wish everyone sitting in broad stroke judgement of police officers could stand up and do this challenge.

@8:15 Activist Jarrett Maupin accepts an invitation to walk a mile in police officers shoes and now "gets" the complexity of these situations.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Constance (12th March 2021), Franny (12th March 2021), Mike (12th March 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 8