+ Reply to Thread
Page 1404 of 1822 FirstFirst 1 404 904 1304 1354 1394 1404 1414 1454 1504 1822 LastLast
Results 28,061 to 28,080 of 36431

Thread: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

1. Link to Post #28061
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,691 times in 13,806 posts

Default Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 21st & 22nd September 2019

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (22nd September 2019), ichingcarpenter (22nd September 2019), Ivanhoe (22nd September 2019), william r sanford72 (23rd September 2019)

3. Link to Post #28062
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Harvard-Smithsonian Center For Astrophysics

Ed DeLuca & Jenna Samra | Chasing The Total Solar Eclipse @ 43,000 Feet

Published 19th September 2019

The sun's corona is notable for its million-degree temperatures and its violent eruptions, both of which are powered by energy from its magnetic field. Measuring the coronal magnetic field is key to understanding how this energy is stored, converted to heat, and rapidly released in eruptive events. A new CfA instrument has taken a step toward making this difficult measurement by viewing the last two total solar eclipses from a high-altitude airplane. By observing infrared light emitted by the corona, the Airborne Infrared Spectrometer (AIR-Spec) measures the corona's temperature and density and paves the way for a future instrument that will measure its magnetic field. To view each eclipse, the instrument and its operators flew in the National Science Foundation's Gulfstream V aircraft at an altitude of over 43,000 feet, above the clouds and most of the infrared-absorbing gas in earth's atmosphere. Ed DeLuca and Jenna Samra will talk about the solar corona, the instrument they built, and what they learned by observing the eclipse in infrared light from an airplane.

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (23rd September 2019)

5. Link to Post #28063
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Parallax Nick

The Epic Of New Horizons & Its Journey To Pluto

Published 22nd September 2019

New Horizons's journey to Pluto was a 30-year epic of political, ideological and scientific conflicts. This, more or less, is what happened.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

7. Link to Post #28064
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 23rd September 2019 | Coronal Holes, Storms, Electromagnetic Earth & Sun

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (23rd September 2019), william r sanford72 (23rd September 2019)

9. Link to Post #28065
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

APOD Podcast

Equinox: The Sun From Solstice To Solstice

Broadcast & Published 23rd September 2019

In today's image we see a number of images of the Sun taken on three different days: the summer solstice when it is highest in the sky, the winter solstice when it is lowest in the sky and the vernal equinox when day and night are equal. Today is the autumnal equinox - the first day of fall when the Sun move from the northern hemisphere of the sky to the southern hemisphere of the sky and day and night are approximately equal.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

11. Link to Post #28066
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Space.com

Incredible Views of Jupiter From NASA's 'JunoCam'

Published 23rd September 2019

NASA's Juno mission has been capturing amazing imagery of Jupiter. Mission team members talk about the mission.

&

See The Milky Way & Earth Glow From Space Station

On Aug. 4, 2019, imagery of the Milky Way Galaxy was captured from the International Space Station. A few months prior, on May 10th, stunning imagery of the Earth Glow and stars was captured.

Last edited by Star Tsar; 24th September 2019 at 05:43.

12. Link to Post #28067
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

Large Synoptic Survey Telescope

Raffaella Margutti, Feryal Özel & Victor Krabbendam | LSST & Black Holes

Recorded 15th August & Published 23rd September 2019

The Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) is approaching completion on the Cerro Pachón ridge in north-central Chile. When science operations begin in 2022, LSST will scan the sky with the world’s largest digital camera, creating a 500 petabyte set of images and data products that will address the most pressing questions about the structure and evolution of the universe and the objects in it. Among these objects are black holes, objects so dense they warp the fabric of space-time, objects whose incredible properties are only recently becoming known to us. You are invited to join us for an evening of black hole science and learn about Tucson’s leadership role in LSST’s voyage of scientific discovery.
    During this public event, LSST Project Manager Victor Krabbendam will provide an update on LSST construction progress, University of Arizona astrophysicist Feryal Özel will discuss the latest black hole discoveries from the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) and Northwestern University’s Raffaella Margutti will describe what we have learned from the first multi-messenger observations of a neutron star merger with gravitational waves and light, and what might be revealed when LSST begins its ten-year survey.

Speakers:

Raffaella Margutti, Northwestern University

Raffaella Margutti is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Physics & Astronomy at Northwestern University. She utilizes observations of transient astrophysical phenomena including stellar explosions and stellar tidal disruptions by supermassive black holes. She serves as the chair of the Gravitational Wave source follow-up with LSST within the LSST Transient and Variable Stars science collaboration. As an astrophysicist, her research specifically focuses on the biggest explosions and disruptions that occur in our Universe: Supernovae, Gamma-Ray Bursts, compact stellar mergers that are sources of gravitational waves and tidal disruption events. Dr. Margutti investigates the physics of these events by combining broad-band observations across the electromagnetic spectrum, including X-ray, UV, optical, IR, and radio. The primary goal of her research is to understand the nature of the physical processes that regulate such dramatic displays.

Feryal Özel, University of Arizona

Feryal Özel is a Professor of Astronomy and Astrophysics in the Department of Astronomy at University of Arizona. She has made pioneering contributions to the physics of neutron stars and black holes, as well as to the co-evolution of black holes and galaxies in the early Universe. Dr. Özel led the Model Comparison group for the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) that released the first image of a black hole in April of 2019. She made the first accurate measurements of the neutron star radii that constrain the ultradense matter equation of state. Based on her work on accretion flows, she made the first size predictions of the images of nearby supermassive black holes at different wavelengths.

Victor Krabbendam, LSST

Victor Krabbendam has been LSST Project Manager since 2012, after eight years as Project Manager for the LSST Telescope & Site subsystem. Trained as a mechanical engineer, Victor has worked in industry, government, and with major astronomical research facilities including the Hobby-Eberly Telescope at McDonald Observatory and the Southern Astrophysical Research (SOAR) Telescope, a 4.1 meter telescope that is LSST's neighbor on Cerro Pachón.

Slide of presentation:
    https://project.lsst.org/meetings/ls...PCW%202019.pdf

13. Link to Post #28068
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Fraser Cain

Open Space: Live QA With Prof. David Kipping

Streamed & Published 23rd September 2019

This week I'll be joined by Columbia astronomer Dr. David Kipping. You might know Dr. Kipping from the Cool Worlds YouTube channel, where he and his team promote new ideas in space and astronomy. He has also developed the idea of using a black hole to accelerate spacecraft (the Halo Drive) and using the atmosphere of the Earth to serve as a giant telescope (the Terrascope).

He'd also really like to find an exomoon.

Learn more here:
    http://user.astro.columbia.edu/~dkipping/index.html

Or follow David on Twitter here:
    https://twitter.com/david_kipping

14. Link to Post #28069
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Question Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

PBS Space Time

Is Pluto A Planet?

You know what a planet is, right? A big round thing that orbits a star. Uh, not so fast. The surprisingly vicious debate over the planetary status of Pluto has given us a fascinating glimpse into what a scientific definition really is. And perhaps the word planet is too vague to be used as a scientific definition at all.

We love to classify things. Labels help us keep stuff organized in our heads. In science, categorization provides a fast and easy way to know the properties of a member of the group just by knowing what group it belongs to. Chemists group elements on the periodic table, those groups exhibit similar chemical behavior that reflect outer-shell electron number. Biologists group organisms by similar physical characteristics, and this taxonomy reflects genetic relationships. Astronomers are all about space taxonomy. We classify galaxies based on their shape, black holes based on how they feed, stars based on their colour and brightness, and planets by… well, by a set of criteria that has caused more tension and heartbreak than any made-up grouping scheme really should. Because a change in that scheme demoted Pluto from planet to not-planet. Today we’re going to settle whether this was reasonable, and whether we should keep the word “planet” at all.

15. Link to Post #28070
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Nemesis Maturity

Giant Volcano On Jupiter's Moon Io Is Due For An Outburst Very Soon

Volcanic eruptions are difficult to predict, but observations have shown the largest and most powerful volcano on Io, a large moon of Jupiter, has been erupting on a relatively regular schedule.

The volcano Loki is expected to erupt in September 2019, according to a poster by Planetary Science Institute Senior Scientist Julie Rathbun presented today at the EPSC-DPS Joint Meeting 2019 in Geneva.

&

A ‘Goldilocks Zone’ For Planet Size - Research Redefines Lower Limit For Planet Size Habitability

In a recent paper, Harvard University researchers described a new, lower size limit for planets to maintain surface liquid water for long periods of time, extending the so-called habitable zone or “Goldilocks zone” for small, low-gravity planets. This research expands the search area for life in the universe and sheds light on the important process of atmospheric evolution on small planets.

Last edited by Star Tsar; 24th September 2019 at 07:10.

16. Link to Post #28071
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

SETI Institute

A Visitor From Interstellar Space

Planetary Astronomer Michael Busch and Senior Astronomer Seth Shostak discuss a recent visit from Comet Borisov, C/2019 Q4.

17. Link to Post #28072
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Ancient Astronaut Archive

Einstein's & Oppenheimer's Top-Secret Alien Memo

Many of our viewers already know that the UFO phenomena has been present in human history for millennia. Accounts of unidentified aerial phenomena reach as far back in antiquity as our first discovered human writings and cave drawings. And for over 99% of that time period up until now, the sightings have been classified as unexplained, mysterious or just plain misidentified natural phenomena. However, things began to change about 200 years ago with the invention of photography and the ability to provide actual visual evidence. Even so, most of the photographic evidence, and later video evidence, over the last couple of centuries has been either discredited or even debunked in a consistent effort to keep the general public ignorant or at least skeptical of the true nature of these phenomena. To this very day, there has been no confirmation from any Earth government that such phenomena are of extraterrestrial origin.

As recently as September 2019, the US Navy admitted that three videos from 2004 and 2015, which were recorded by military pilots, contained footage of what they deemed Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP). This is a very significant development because it is the first time the Navy has admitted that it cannot identify the aerial objects, but the Navy went no further in its disclosure.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (24th September 2019), Valerie Villars (24th September 2019)

19. Link to Post #28073
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Cool Re: Up At The Ranch And Beyond

Celtic Snake

Muhammad Ali Tells Johnny Carson That UFO's Are Real

On September 7, 1973, Muhammad Ali (along with boxer Ken Norton) went on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson to promote their upcoming rematch bout. As soon as Ali walked out, you could tell he wasn't in the best of moods. It looked like he had something on his mind that he wanted to get out. And he did. But to everyone's surprise, it had nothing to do with boxing. It had to do with UFO's and his belief that Flying Saucers were real. Back then, it took guts to speak publicly about believing in UFO's. But only Ali would have the guts to proclaim to the world that not only did he believe UFO's are real, he said he even saw one himself! It's a must see!

https://dai.ly/x7llu1i
    Last edited by Star Tsar; 24th September 2019 at 06:31.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (24th September 2019), Valerie Villars (24th September 2019)

21. Link to Post #28074
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Somewhere In The Skies

1967: The Year Of The UFO

Published 22nd September 2019

On episode 127 of SOMEWHERE IN THE SKIES, we take a look back at one of the strangest and most active years in UFO history; 1967. From running over an alien with a car, to actual car-jacking aliens. From the horrifying Maelstrom Nuclear missile shutdown by a UFO, to the crash of a craft in the waters of Shag Harbor. And lest we forget the highly documented close encounter at Falcon Lake. It's all here, and it's all thanks to the brilliant research of UFO investigators across the world.

Special thanks to the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena (NICAP), Billy Booth, Appalachian Ghost Walks, and the tireless work of countless contributors to The UFO Casebook.

Related musical interlude

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Bluegreen (24th September 2019)

23. Link to Post #28075
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Fade To Black Radio

Greg Bishop | Dis-Info Agents In Ufology

Recorded 3rd & Published 23rd September 2019

In 1991, Greg Bishop co-founded a magazine called The Excluded Middle, which was a journal of UFOs, conspiracy research, psychedelia and new science. Wake Up Down There!, a collection of articles from the magazine, was published in 2000. Greg’s second book was Project Beta, which documented a government campaign of disinformation around the UFO issue. Weird California, a portrait of strange and eerie history and places in the Golden State, was released in 2006.

From 2007 to 2011, Greg blogged for the UFO and paranormal site Ufomystic. His 2017 book It Defies Language anthologized entries from that blog along with new articles written just for the collection. In 2017, he contributed an essay entitled “The Co-Creation Hypothesis: Human Perception, the Informational Universe, and The Overhaul of UFO Research” for the anthology UFOs: Reframing the Debate. In 2019, he co-authored A Is For Adamski, an encyclopedic overview of the UFO contact movement. His long-running podcast can be heard at radiomisterioso.com.

He has appeared in the documentaries Fields of Fear (about the cattle mutilation phenomenon) and Mirage Men (based on his book Project Beta), and in the Travel Channel series Mysteries at the National Parks and most recently on the History Channel series Unidentified. He also served as consultant for the TNN series The Conspiracy Zone with Kevin Nealon. For nearly two decades, he has lectured extensively at conferences, conventions and from elementary to college students.

Greg has researched the phenomenon of “alien writing“: examples of languages people claim to have received from non-human sources. He has also written on the history of the desert southwest. Greg holds a private pilot license as well as an advanced certification in paragliding and is licensed by the FAA to fly drones for commercial clients.

&

Whitley Strieber

Recorded & Published 23rd September 2019

Whitley Strieber is the author of the Communion series of books and many novels ranging from the Wolfen and the Hunger to the Grays and his exciting new Alien Hunter series. Communion, the Wolfen, the Hunger and Superstorm have all been made into movies, Superstorm as the Day After Tomorrow.

Tonight we are going to have a very open conversation on the current state of UFOs and ET contact, our government, community, and dive deep with someone who has been researching the subject for the last four decades.

http://www.unknowncountry.com/

One can listen by clicking here

24. Link to Post #28076
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

KOLR10 News

Tom Delonge Talks Aliens

Credit where credit is due, However my mama always says "self praise is no recommendation!"

25. Link to Post #28077
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Theory QED

Mick West | Evidence for the Cover-Up of UFO+UAPs, Dr. Michio Kaku, TTSA/AATIP/Bigelow & ET

Mick West and I discuss the recent comments about UFOs and ET made by Dr. Michio Kaku, the UFO Conspiracy or the government cover-up of UAPs also known as the Cosmic Watergate, I got into some speculation about the formation and motivations of AATIP and TTSA. And at the end we had a nice chat about the possibility of ET visitation which is one possible explanation for the existence of "real" or compelling and inexplicable UFOs.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

27. Link to Post #28078
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

Suspicious Observers | Space News | 24th September 2019 | Micronova Science, Earthquakes, Climate Oops

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

29. Link to Post #28079
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks

APOD Podcast

Sand Dunes Thawing On Mars

Broadcast & Published 24th September 2019

In today's image we see sand dunes near the polar region of Mars. The ices (water and carbon dioxide) are in the process of sublimating (turning from solid directly to gas) as the seasons change.

30. Link to Post #28080
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,413 times in 10,154 posts

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Valerie Villars (24th September 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1404 of 1822 FirstFirst 1 404 904 1304 1354 1394 1404 1414 1454 1504 1822 LastLast