+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 10

Thread: I don't know what shape the earth is, but look at this

1. Link to Post #181
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

Default Re: I don't know what shape the earth is, but look at this

I am pleased to see that Target can take unfounded accusations and insults.
    More self moderation required please.

Again I repeat what I said a few years ago regarding the great FE distraction here.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post995385

Quote Anyways, My own thoughts are, It is much more important to think about our Mother earths well being, rather than the distraction of her curvy or flat figure.
    As they say, each to their own.

Peace.
    Adding one more very recent brave heart to my list.

French sailor François Gabart makes fastest solo circumnavigation
    Journey around world took 42 days and 16 hours – six days faster than previous

The French sailor François Gabart has broken the record for sailing solo around the world, circumnavigating the planet in 42 days and 16 hours.

That is more than six days faster than the last record, set by his fellow Frenchman Thomas Coville last year.

The organisers, tracking his journey by satellite, tweeted that 34-year-old Gabart had reached the finish line near Ouessant island off France’s western coast on his trimaran, called Macif, before dawn on Sunday.

Dozens of vessels swarmed around the vessel, accompanying Gabart as he waved torches.

Supporters waited to congratulate him in nearby port of Brest, from where he departed on 4 November and where residents have been following his travels.

“It’s a crazy pleasure … all this human energy,” Gabart said later. “I’m a solitary sailor but this is a pleasure.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rcumnavigation

Last edited by Billy; 21st December 2017 at 13:47.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (21st December 2017), Hervé (21st December 2017), Innocent Warrior (21st December 2017), TargeT (22nd December 2017), Wind (21st December 2017)

3. Link to Post #182
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

^ To be fair, that proves nothing. You can still take the same course on the flat earth model...

4. Link to Post #183
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Haha, I'll have to re-take that picture.. it's forced perspective really, I work at a desk.. my arms are far from big.
    I laughed so much. I kind of miss the pic, never mind the arm, the expression on your face was my favorite part.

EDIT: I turned off avatars and just remembered that I did it, your avatar is probably there I just cannot see it anymore (facepalm)
    Last edited by petra; 21st December 2017 at 14:13.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Innocent Warrior (28th December 2017), TargeT (22nd December 2017)

6. Link to Post #184
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,551 times in 3,482 posts

If FE threads (discussion in this case) were roads they'd be closed due to unacceptable fatality rates.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

avid (21st December 2017), Bill Ryan (21st December 2017), Billy (22nd December 2017), Ewan (21st January 2018), Foxie Loxie (21st December 2017), greybeard (21st December 2017), Harley (21st December 2017), Joe from the Carolinas (28th December 2017), justntime2learn (21st December 2018), Navigator (21st December 2017), TargeT (22nd December 2017), Wind (21st December 2017)

8. Link to Post #185
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,658 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    Haha, I'll have to re-take that picture.. it's forced perspective really, I work at a desk.. my arms are far from big.
    I laughed so much. I kind of miss the pic, never mind the arm, the expression on your face was my favorite part.

EDIT: I turned off avatars and just remembered that I did it, your avatar is probably there I just cannot see it anymore (facepalm)

Quote Posted by Navigator (here)
    Flat earth bull**** really has the power to divide us doesn't it? Think about who wins in a world where "divide and conquer" has become a winning strategy.
    One of many topics meant to do just that, and it works really well. There are so many of these hard black/white topics that it's hard NOT to stumble over one and "trigger" someone during day to day interactions.

Quote Posted by Rachel (here)
    If FE threads (discussion in this case) were roads they'd be closed due to unacceptable fatality rates.
    great analogy.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Billy (22nd December 2017), Innocent Warrior (22nd December 2017), justntime2learn (21st December 2018), petra (22nd December 2017)

10. Link to Post #186
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

One of many topics meant to do just that, and it works really well.
    It's still a mystery. Look on montalk.net's FAQ it's the first question. Innuendo?

11. Link to Post #187
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,520 times in 32,788 posts

It's still a mystery. Look on montalk.net's FAQ it's the first question. Innuendo?
    No, that really is a list of questions he's frequently asked.

Here's his comprehensive answer:

It’s a globe, at least here in our 3D reality. The deeper conspiracy is that our reality itself might be a kind of simulation, or temporary reality that’s like a side track to the main real reality, or is in some way a gimped version of the authentic.

As a result, there are certain glitches or inconsistencies in our everyday experiences and in the world (Fortean phenomena, synchronicities, spontaneous invisibility, time warps, etc.) that show the cracks in the façade. Not to mention, what afterlife research, aliens, and metaphysical beings suggest about there being another reality behind the curtain.

I think the flat Earth theory is disinformation meant to distract and keep people limited to lower dimensional thinking instead of thinking hyperdimensionally or metaphysically.

It uses a lot of sleight of hand, wrong assumptions, incomplete assumptions, and lack of sufficient science knowledge to pull various “stage magic” tricks to support the idea that Earth is flat. But if you investigate each of the claims, you can find where their reasoning or assumptions go wrong.

To give one example, cameras on weather balloons have been used by flat Earth theorists to show that even when the balloon gets higher and higher the horizon always stays at eye level instead of dropping and curving as it should on a sphere.

But to do the numbers, balloons don’t actually go that high, as the highest they go is 23 miles. Diameter of Earth is 7,917.5 miles. So if Earth were a basketball, 23.44cm in diameter, a weather balloon then would get 0.7 mm from the surface. That is so close to it, that the horizon of the basketball would be close to eye level. It would be close enough that the difference versus ground level is too small to be obvious in weather balloon photographs.

Another example is that airplanes on long flights don’t have to dip their noses to follow the downward curving contour of the Earth’s surface. Thus it would appear the surface is flat. But the larger the sphere, the flatter its surface appears when you’re close to it.

As an airplane flies over the ground or water below, it is flying almost flat like a ruler, and the ground below is almost flat like a ruler too, except there is a slight curvature to the ground which is matched by the plane’s slight curvature in its path, the two remaining parallel to each other as both curve equally.

These arguments are all along the lines of, “If the sky is blue and the sun yellow, then why isn’t the light that hits us green since blue + yellow = green?” which makes sense only if you don’t know enough about the physics of light scattering and optics.

Like I said, the flat Earth proponents are good at coming up with reasons that tend to fall apart when examined, only to come up with new ones as those previous ones are explained away, only to repeat the cycle further and further.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Billy (22nd December 2017), Bruno (22nd December 2017), Innocent Warrior (28th December 2017), petra (22nd December 2017), Rhogar (22nd December 2018), TargeT (22nd December 2017), Wind (22nd December 2017)

13. Link to Post #188
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    My point is that out of all the questions in his FAQ, this particular question is at the very top of the list Thanks for posting Tom's full answer, I just think it over complicates things personally.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bruno (22nd December 2017)

15. Link to Post #189
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,520 times in 32,788 posts

My point is that out of all the questions in his FAQ, this particular question is at the very top of the list Thanks for posting Tom's full answer, I just think it over complicates things personally.
    He specifically states: "Most recent additions are first on page."

If I may say — you're reading into this a significance that just isn't there.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Billy (22nd December 2017), Innocent Warrior (28th December 2017), Mike (22nd December 2017), petra (22nd December 2017)

17. Link to Post #190
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,658 times in 8,694 posts

Here we have a perfect example of (IMO) WHY the FE push is so big....

FE "conspiracy theory" being used to attack every other conspiracy... because, of course.....

Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

avid (22nd December 2017), Billy (22nd December 2017), Ewan (21st January 2018), Innocent Warrior (28th December 2017), Mike (22nd December 2017)

19. Link to Post #191
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

He specifically states: "Most recent additions are first on page."

If I may say — you're reading into this a significance that just isn't there.
    Well in a way, doesn't everything have at least some significance? I just imagine he's probably said "oh not this again" quite a few times by now, his answer is really quite good now that I read it again.

EDIT: You know what? That is the first question and also the last question. There haven't been any new ones in quite some time, I've been checking back. Maybe he's taking a nice vacation
    Last edited by petra; 22nd December 2017 at 19:52. Reason: Possible significance that I see

20. The Following User Says Thank You to petra For This Post:

Mike (22nd December 2017)

21. Link to Post #192
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 times in 285 posts

To misbis ( and her loved ones )

Wishing you a happy end to the year, and truly hoping that you've been receiving, across the airwaves, all the love and tenderness , from your friends on PA.

With ALL disclosures, breaching thru', unstoppably,
    a time for reconciliation and compassion ! !

Blessings for a bright future :-))

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frenchy For This Post:

Ewan (21st January 2018), Matthew (25th December 2017)

23. Link to Post #193
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,429 times in 21,488 posts

There may be some significance to flat earth theories after all .

I observe that it is common to explain esoteric matters to people using analogies with things that they are more familiar with.

Such analogies invariably have their limitations, which are just as invariably frustrating to those who actually understand the "esoteric" matter in more native terms/concepts.

For example, when I was a student of physics and mathematics, a long time ago, I understood to some degree Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, and to a greater degree Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem. It greatly frustrated me when my fellow students, majoring in "softer" subjects such as philosophy or creative writing would take these principles or theorems and apply them far outside of their field of applicability (sub-atomic measurements and mathematical set and logic theory, respectively.)

Conclusions drawn from such mis-application of analogies are notoriously unreliable ... analogies prove nothing. At best they can sometimes help illustrate ("paint a picture") of some relation or structure, to someone not well versed in the actual subject being described. But any such illustrative use of such analogies relies heavily on the one proposing the analogy to ensure that the analogy is correctly chosen and applied.

One can paint a picture of the three inch minnow that they did catch, as easily as they can paint a picture of the three fathom shark that they neither caught nor even saw. Painting a scary shark picture and scaring someone with the picture provides zero proof that one encountered a shark, or even went to sea, much less actually caught the shark.

Now, as this applies to flat earth theories ... some people, whose areas of expertise don't include much mathematics or geology or astronomy, probably still understand "flat" (as in table in front of them, or the floor beneath them) and "earth" (as in the ground outside that they might walk on.) However trying to demonstrate to such people that other things are true, or are lies, by using an analogy with the concept of "a flat earth", proves nothing. It often misleads, to a sometimes absurd degree, and frustrates those of us who happen to be more competent in such subjects as mathematics, geology, and astronomy.

Those who know better and still put forth such false analogies are guilty of intellectual fraud, and those who don't know better are guilty of intellectual naivety when they accept such false analogies as convincing arguments in support of false conclusions.

Such misuse of analogies to bamboozle the insufficiently clueful is epidemic in our times (and likely in times past and future as well.) I would put much of the popularization of conventional "modern" science (relativity, quantum mechanics, etc) in that category, as well as some more unconventional "science" (for example time travel, as commonly understood in the alternative media.)

Thus is the significance of "flat earth" theories ... it is a well known example of such a misapplication of analogies (flatness and earthiness, combined, in this case) that happens to have a non-negligible number of people on both "sides" (those who know better, and those who don't), and as usual with such misapplication of analogies, it is an example of the frustration engendered in those who do happen to know better, by those who spout off as if they know enough to participate in such a discussion, at least to the point of asking questions, but who don't know enough to realize or even understand that the very basis for their comments and questions is the gross misapplication of an analogy.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

avid (16th February 2018), Bill Ryan (16th February 2018), Billy (16th February 2018), Bob (16th February 2018), Ewan (12th May 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th February 2018), Nick Matkin (16th February 2018), TargeT (16th February 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 10