View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #165
no caste
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Something is a brewing, HMMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Tone3, We have the cuss word filter on for a reason. I don't mind the occasional bypass, but please cease, you are going way overboard with it. Karen
Hi Karen - On the issue of swearing, which I am also prone to do, I have to add here that swearing has medicinal properties. Normally, I'm very friendly out in public. But once I said 'W_T_F?!?' with a bank representative, and she blew back 4 feet in her wheely chair.

Bad language could be good for you, a new study shows. For the first time, psychologists have found that swearing may serve an important function in relieving pain.

The study, published today in the journal NeuroReport, measured how long college students could keep their hands immersed in cold water. During the chilly exercise, they could repeat an expletive of their choice or chant a neutral word. When swearing, the 67 student volunteers reported less pain and on average endured about 40 seconds longer.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...hy-do-we-swear

T3G - I also swear when I'm blown back by certain experiences or perceptions - !

Last edited by no caste; 09-29-2009 at 09:41 AM.
no caste is offline   Reply With Quote