View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #182
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Why making God unfashionable never works..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthetable View Post
Is it a desirable thing to cast aside our teachers? Is it a good train of thought to be 'above' them? Would a Christian discard Christ? Would a child discard its parents? I feel we should love and respect our teachers through the ages, and that to feel above them would actually be a fall down.

Any thoughts my friends?
Hello my friend.
Its a very good question.
I can only guess at an answer.
I still have main input from Dr Hawkins videos and books, some I have read 5 times.
Always fresh always new.
Paradoxes are the norm in spiritual teaching.
On the one hand you have "The Grace of the Guru" on the other the advice to throw away the books at a certain point..
Part of the difficulty for me is that the enlightened speak in hindsight.
Ramana was in his teens when he imagined what it would be like to die and the ego did just that and left him speechless in a state of bliss for years.
Eckhart Tolle had the thought "I can no longer live with myself followed by, is there two of me" on contemplating that a few moments of fear then when he awoke the world was completely differnt in his perception, the mind silent.
Dr Hawkins in the depth of despair called out "If there is a God I ask him for help" moments of fear then some time latter when he came too he experienced the world totally differently. In each case it seems enlightenment was entirely the work of God.
Ramesh said. "God gave you the ego let Him remove it"

In each case the enlightenment matured, a period of being able to function in the world then withdrawal from the world in a state of bliss for some years, then some return to teach.
All we can do is our best to remove the obstacles to enlightenment and trust God to do the rest.

I dont think the Guru/teaching should be cast aside but always respected, he may say its time for you to go. Your inner self may know when its time.
The paradox is belief system must be let go of, the thought that you are dependent on a teaching or teacher must be let go of too
Sorry for the long answer.
Chris

Chris
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote