View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #270
aroundthetable
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Why making God unfashionable never works..

Hi Dan, i like the 'simply have faith because of the things i do' qoute, i think this is a way for all people to approach God whether religious or not, an essential first step that will lead one on a sure path. If they approach scripture even theoretically, with a humble heart, then faith will become solid without doubt, a small amount of application on the part of the individual soul will bring great self-realisation.

Here is another qoute, this one from Kripamoya Dasa,

Inner concentration and stillness is the first symptom of an enlightened soul. This state of mind, once reached, overcomes the craving for material pleasure that is the very source of all our unhappiness. A more satisfying contentment is available and when you have it you will become free from attachment, fear, greed and anger. But selfish motivation must be given up.

The mind is different from the self and can be used for good or bad. The five senses likewise. A mind accustomed to obeying the demands of the senses will lead you into tangled karmic actions and reactions. The senses make good servants but bad masters, and therefore the senses must be controlled by a mind governed by intelligence. But first, in order to be able to do this, we must taste spiritual bliss, a higher taste. Only then will it be easy to make the right choices, free from artificial repression.
aroundthetable is offline   Reply With Quote