View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #106
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Why making God unfashionable never works..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthetable View Post
commandments could be taken wrongly, sure is damn good advice though!
I agree with what Bern has said re children.
I have never regretted being brought up in a Christian society and I guess this thread is partly about the erosion of moral values ie everything is ok do your own thing stuff.
What we have lost, is respect for our elders respect for our teachers, respect for the police.
Im not debating the rights or wrongs of it, but it seems to me that the politically correct movement has a lot to answer for.

im 64 and have seen a lot as people of my age have.
Much of it is good. Mobile phone/ internet will keep you in touch with people on the other side of the world.
However teachers are terrorized in their classes, I dont have a fixed view on the strap as used in my school days but it was used responsibly on the whole. Pupils accepted punishment when they erred.
A policeman would give you a slap if you were caught stealing apples, now he would be up for assault.
I could go out and play all hours without my parents being worried as long as I was home by a set time.
In short I knew exactly where I stood, what I could get away with, there was security in that. If I erred I knew I was responsible and had the maturity to accept whatever the consequences of my actions were.
I dident have to look for the car keys, they were in the ignition, where else would they be.
Locking house doors, why?
The conduct was set by Christian ethics.

If God becomes redundant ( not possible of course) sooner or later the human race will cease to exist.
Anyway thats my take on it.

Chris
ps thanks for popping by the ego thread aroundthetable.
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote