View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #27
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The Bible, Our Conclusion. by Norval and Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
The most faithful biblical translation is the Pe****ta by Dr. George Lamsa, an Assyrian scholar, because it is directly from the Aramaic and bypasses the major difficulty proposed by using another language as an intermediary. I have read many different translations. The Pe****ta is different and better.

http://www.aramaicpe****ta.com/George%20Lamsa.htm

Thank you Esther, for a great post. I will second the Pe****ta. It was the first Bible I read cover-to-cover, back in the early 70s. It has many subtle but intriguing differences from our traditional Bible - no bombshells, just small things that make sense. For instance, instead of the camel through the eye of a needle, the Pe****ta says it's harder for a rope to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter Heaven. A footnote explains that in Aramaic, the difference between camel and rope is simply a small dot like the dot on an i.

When I simply read the Bible, I find the NIV handy. It's readable and reasonably accurate. For study, though, I need every translation I have spread out on the table before me.

Last edited by whitecrow; 10-27-2008 at 04:50 PM.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote