View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Edward Alexander
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Where to go: Polar ice melting (Map), Wars in the world, other possible catastrop

Thanks for the info.

And yes, there are many things we can't be sure about, but "better safe than sorry" as it's been said. There are scientists who think we're actually getting close to a new ice age, and in that case the water levels would sink instead of increase and many would be better of. Except for those in the areas with increased ice and cold obviously. But even during the last great ice age there were fertile and warm thriving zones on Earth, it mostly will affect the poles and spreading outwards from there.

Here is a map over the last great ice age and we can use this as a model on what we could expect if an ice age is to occur again:

I've heard that global warming can lead to an ice age, if I remember correctly, and this could mean that we'd might be subject to a flood first from melting poles for some time, then an ice age. I'm not sure at all how quick or slow something like that would happen, but apperently it can happen quickly if we look at evidence from the past. For example we got the ancient flood story all over the world, and it seems to have come suddenly and quickly - same with the ice age, animals and plants have been found in the ice well preserved suggesting they were alive at the moment they suddenly got frozen.

Floods and tsunamis can be cause by large glaciers breaking apart and falling down in the ocean by melting, so high grounds would be recommended as lower areas easily gets completely swept away from what could be the result of such tsunamis. Earthquakes can also cause this, and of course storms / hurricanes can flood areas.

-EA
Edward Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote