View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 02:32 AM   #6
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: what happens if we dont bail out auto makers

I don't agree with a bailout because I feel that Detroit has failed to listen to the consumers for the past 30 years. They latched onto the SUV trend and when gas prices went up, they continued to market SUVs when people were demanding more fuel-efficent vehicles. They have been doing this forever and their stubborness is what allowed Toyota, Honda and other foreign companies to thrive in this country.

I don't think nationalization is a good idea but I also do not like the idea of the union pulling strings to sacrifice jobs and pensions. I cannot in good conscience blame the UAW for this mess because the CEOs of the Big Three automakers are just as responsible for this mess if not more.

I could care less if Ford went under though. I never liked Henry Ford. He was a nazi sympathizer and known anti-semite.

I would like to see the auto industry opened up to smaller, niche car companies that would have more room to maneuver without the Big Three stifling them and their innovations (or outright buying their innovations and burying them).
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote