View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 02:20 AM   #9
Heretic
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: How to Learn Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora GFX View Post
I think the Israeli martial art of Krav Maga is very effective. I have trained in this art and found though that while it is great for younger people, it can be a little hard on the body, and in time may introduce limitations.

I am currently studying Systema, it is a Russian Martial Art used by some Special Operations. Systema has a nice balance of soft / hard principles and teaches ones body to repond to any scenario and not just react with techniques.

As it is not well known, schools can be hard to come by. Anyone interested in checking it out should go to http://www.russianmartialart.com/ for more info.

Cheers.
I have to agree that Krav Maga, as well as ANY “hard” art will in time reveal limitations. To me it is because, given enough time, unless the body is constantly being trained or maintained limitations will occur naturally. Whenever you have an art that is based on direct forces and blows that are based on external strength alone, limitations will be observed, but this is also true for just about any art, or at least portions of that art.

Not all Krav Maga is based on this though so there is still some worth in it to the elderly. Hard arts are naturally hard on the body, and conditioning is necessary. Just about every art on the planet is a mixture of soft and hard tech, so there will always be something there for those who cant produce alot of linear force for whatever reason.

I looked at Systema a few years back and I like it as well. I am especially fond of the Systema breathing methods as they are quick and easy to learn compared to the complexity found in Qigong, which is by far better yet requires more dedication.

IMHO all the arts including Krav Maga and Systema as well as the other arts taught to the military across the globe are very similar, because they all are answering the same problems. They all seem to be based on closing the distance and putting someone down as fast as possible, with some excusive bonuses found in each, especially the silent methods.

They all have different names, but are so similar it is easier to point out the differences than it is the plethora of similarities, and rightly so as they serve the same need and usually under the same circumstances.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote